• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Invincible and Legendary~ *Dragon-Type Pokemon Fan Club*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's a little odd how Gyarados is part Flying. What about it is Flying type-ish? It's like, how is Altaria part Dragon? It's not remotely dragon-y at all.

Years
  • I always find it weird Gyarados is a Flying-type yet doesn't really learn any Flying-type moves (I don't count Bounce as "flying") which totally contradicts that typing, and in X/Y its Mega had to settle on a weak Dark STAB move but at least OR/AS gave it Crunch now.

Gyarados never really looked like a Flying-type to begin with, but then again Altaria is Dragon-type despite being a bird... but then I came across this on Bulbapedia:
    Altaria is likely based on Peng, Chinese legendary birds of enormous size, said to travel 3000 li in one flap of their mighty, cloud-like wings. They're often portrayed as having a dragon's head and whiskers.

I guess that's why it's Dragon-type... it's based on a bird with cloud wings that's often portrayed as having draconic features like a dragon's head. Very weird hahahaha.

Oh, and congrats on gaining the ownership Star! Hopefully you can keep the activity going well.

Reactions: Nah

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • It's a little odd how Gyarados is part Flying. What about it is Flying type-ish? It's like, how is Altaria part Dragon? It's not remotely dragon-y at all.

Apparently it was because Gyarados being Water/Dragon in Red/Blue would've meant it had no weaknesses because Dragon Rage, a fixed damage move, was the only Dragon-type move. I guess they didn't want it to have no weaknesses.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Apparently it was because Gyarados being Water/Dragon in Red/Blue would've meant it had no weaknesses because Dragon Rage, a fixed damage move, was the only Dragon-type move. I guess they didn't want it to have no weaknesses.
    Yeah, but, then they made Psychic OP in Gen I and then introduced two Pokemon that had no type weakness until Gen VI, Sableye and Spiritomb.

But I try to not expect too much from Game Freak in regards to these things.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If they wish to give Gyarados another mega-evolution in future--I believe it might be possibly, as they give extra mega-forms to Pokémon depending on popularity (Gyarados is rather top-notch in regards to that--it'd be sweet if it were partially dragon.

This Pokémon's story would be sort of similar to the one of Charizard; many of us fans had wished to see it become dragon-type someday, and they had finally done it with giving it a secondary mega-evolution form. Though, only thing I have disliked is the major color change, which, if you ask me, is out-of-place; if it weren't for that, I would have loved it. I hope they don't do the same with Gyarados, if they're planning anything.

It's got access to a few dragon-type moves, I believe, so if it does wind up gaining a dragon-type mega later throughout, it could likely take some decent advantage of them, which is great!

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Well that explains why Gyarados was never Water/Dragon. Still if you think about it, its not too late to change the typing? I mean they changed Jigglypuff and a whole bunch of others to fairy, wouldn't it be okay to alter Gyarados as well? The original problem for why it wasn't typed water/dragon is removed now so...

I guess water/flying is an okay typing for it but I feel like a lot of fans would love Gyarados to be water/dragon. I realise there's always a potential for it to get a new mega form but ehhh, I feel like they should also apply it to the original pokemon.

Also correct me if there already is one but they need to make a mega for Dragonite. Like right now. :( It's one of the most iconic dragon types and it still hasn't got a mega form.

Years
  • Well, with Mega Salamence out the window in competitive, Dragonite might see more use what with Multiscale being effective. It's been with that since at least Generation V, but I still would be down for it getting a Mega Evolution, in the hopes that they don't mess up the design. Mega Garchomp was something I was not exactly down for...

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Mega Garchomp is good competitively.....but they changed the sprite and it doesn't look as great and its shiny is hot pink lol. I wanna see a mega flygon i think thats it cause i cant see dragonite with a mega.

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
    Years
  • Username:KamikazeSSoH
    Favorite Dragon type/Dragon Pokemon:Salamence
    Reason for joining club:Because i want to enter one of the most Invincible Types ever made in Pokémon. and because i love my KENDROW!(Salamence) and my King!(Gyarados) and if i keep talking about dragon pokémon that i had this post is gonna be long.. xD
    Answer to any one of the current topics:
    Would you like Dragon type starters? If yes, which one would you start with?
    Yes that would be so awesome. just think of it. Seadra,Bagon and Axew.
    I Would Choose Bagon of Course :P but that would be amazing. i really like that ideia... hmmm...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Mega Garchomp is good competitively.....
    Only on sand teams imo. That -10 Speed drop upon mega evolving kinda sucked for it; Garchomp's base 102 Speed is a major part of what makes it good.

Also, welcome to the club, KamikazeSSoH.

Star11Pika

Don't just look at the stars, be one c:
    Years
  • Username:KamikazeSSoH
    Favorite Dragon type/Dragon Pokemon:Salamence
    Reason for joining club:Because i want to enter one of the most Invincible Types ever made in Pokémon. and because i love my KENDROW!(Salamence) and my King!(Gyarados) and if i keep talking about dragon pokémon that i had this post is gonna be long.. xD
    Answer to any one of the current topics:
    Would you like Dragon type starters? If yes, which one would you start with?
    Yes that would be so awesome. just think of it. Seadra,Bagon and Axew.
    I Would Choose Bagon of Course :P but that would be amazing. i really like that ideia... hmmm...
    Hello there c: Welcome :D I'll add you in a sec C:
    Also it would indeed be awesome to have a Seadra as starter, mainly because I love anything related to water XD
    @Garchomp thing: I don't know too much about competive but that really sucks for Mega Garchomp >.<

Years
  • That would be a rather broken starter concept, if I do say so myself. xP But Axew was a starter in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, even though that game was not the most prime in its series it was something. It wouldn't surprise me if someone made a hack where there were Dragon-type starters, but I have a feeling that that early in the games some of them would wreck.

Years
  • That would be a rather broken starter concept, if I do say so myself. xP But Axew was a starter in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, even though that game was not the most prime in its series it was something. It wouldn't surprise me if someone made a hack where there were Dragon-type starters, but I have a feeling that that early in the games some of them would wreck.

I do agree, having Dragon starters in main series games would feel a bit "indestructible" early on and some learn Dragon Rage early which can take huge chunks of health out at that stage of the game. That's probably why we have the traditional Grass/Fire/Water trio, they each have strengths and weaknesses even at early stages.

However, we did end up getting Axew as one of the playable Pokemon in Mystery Dungeon: GTI, along with Pikachu and the Unova starters. So, in the end while Dragon starters would be cool in the main games, it'd just be a bit too broken plus I'm already used to the usual formulas anyway.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe it would be rather nice if we were to move away from traditional grass-water-fire starters for at least one generation of games onto another.

Dragon could be one of them (alongside steel and dark, perhaps?), I feel, and although it would make things slightly less difficult, considering how powerful some of their moves tend to be--Outrage, for example--I can't imagine it to make the game overly-easy. It would be a nice change of pace; our traditional way of starter Pokémon and whatnot have been going on for over a decade, and I believe it would be nice to see something new.

As for Mystery Dungeon, unfortunately, I haven't tried much games from the series. From ones I have played, I don't ever remember starting off with any dragon-type Pokémon, sadly.

KamikazeSSoH

Years
  • Yeah i mean... there not many other types that have 3 pokes evolution that are starter like. i would like Dragon,Ice and Steel ? to be even ? idk i like the idea doe. but only Dragon Starters would be pretty awesome too :P

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    If people were concerned about dragon types being too overpowered as starters, they could always just nerf their stats when obtained as starters? Most starters tend to make the game easy when they reach their final form so I guess dragons wouldn't be any different. Blaziken tears through everything, a Salamence would probably do the same. The only concern would be lack of weaknesses but even then, they could be manageable with the introduction of the fairy type.

I guess a lot of people find dragons awesome though and this would probably the neglect the other two types completely unless they were to choose something equally as powerful/great - i.e dark or fairy. I agree that as long as they strive from the typical GWF sort of idea that the games would be more interesting. Some perfect dragon type starters with three forms could be Axew, Dratini, Bagon etc. All of these take a long time to evolve and would therefore be okay choices. Same goes for Trapinch who eventually turns into Flygon.

I haven't played the latest PMD but I think having Axew as a starter would be pretty sweet. <3 Anyone actually used one and have opinion on how good it is in the spinoffs?

Dedenne1

Years
  • Yeah i mean... there not many other types that have 3 pokes evolution that are starter like. i would like Dragon,Ice and Steel ? to be even ? idk i like the idea doe. but only Dragon Starters would be pretty awesome too :P

The hardest thing with that is making it so each takes out the next :p i dont think dragon types starters would be op since they have a good amount of weaknesses now :)

Umm if there was a dragon starter it would be weird only because of the thing i stated above and the only type that its supereffective against is dragon :p and dragon ice and steel would make dragon taken out by both most likely haha. But all dragons would work but would defeat the purpose unless of coarse u could always do grass/dragon water/dragon and fire/dragon or even others :)

KamikazeSSoH

Years
  • The hardest thing with that is making it so each takes out the next :p i dont think dragon types starters would be op since they have a good amount of weaknesses now :)

Umm if there was a dragon starter it would be weird only because of the thing i stated above and the only type that its supereffective against is dragon :p and dragon ice and steel would make dragon taken out by both most likely haha. But all dragons would work but would defeat the purpose unless of coarse u could always do grass/dragon water/dragon and fire/dragon or even others :)

Thats where GameFreak or somoene that Makes Hacks comes in and steal the show. by making that. and of course maybe in Next Generation we shake some things up ? maybe its not going to happen(probably its gonna happen first at a hack then a pokemon game by gamefreak) But i would still enjoy as a new ideia. by not having water/fire/grass but having as a second type.(?) Dragon/Fire ...etc that would be awesome.

Dedenne1

Years
  • It could be one day haha but I doubt gamefreak will ever do I but I've seen people with steel ice and ground as starters which usually are seen in fangames :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back