• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Emerald Z (Fakemon Hack | Complete | v1.2.0 available! Material drop system implemented!)

lweege

Lweegiel
Years
  • Emerald Z v.1.0.1 is now available to download! Normally I wouldn't put out a new patch so soon, but this solves two relatively important bugs - one because it affects a very common and early Pokémon, and one because it's a softlock.

Spoiler: Changelog

This is answered in the first post, but yes, you can. It's done through a specific method, however.

NUPS is the patching application used to apply the .ups patch included in the download to an Emerald ROM, which you have to acquire yourself.

Unfortunately this hack was tested on and made for mGBA, as it's the most accurate GBA emulator, so I can't guarantee it'll play perfectly on other emulators.

There's a few Bottle Caps available in the overworld and as hidden items. The repeatable methods are through the Pacifidlog Fan Club man and very rarely via Rock Smash.

No, there is not - this is not a game where you need to optimize your EVs. That said, EV-reducing berries are available in the Fallarbor Hyper Training Station.
    Thank you for replying, I guess for me it became a force of habit haha

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2024
    I found that the move Flip Turn also causes the game to freeze/ crash during the animation. My emulator is MyBoy. Version is 1.0.1.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    So I finally beat this game, and I have some things I'd like to touch upon. Each point will have a number of pluses or minuses depending on how much I like or dislike the part of the game I want to talk about:

+++ I really liked most of the Fakemon and I really like how fleshed out they are, from their designs, their sprites, their stats, to even their cries. They're all so tempting to have on a team. I also really like
    the Pokédex. It's a very wide variety without being too big. Maybe sometimes it isn't at all necessary to have every single Pokémon in the game. No one's gonna cry if for example Maractus wasn't in the game (im sorry maractus ily)
    also not having baby pokemon is really fucking based i just wanted to add that

++ The difficulty is amazing. I definetly wasn't steamrolling through every boss battle. This hack provides a good challenge without being unfair, or necessitating the use of EVs or using tools the player doesn't have access to at that point and I find that really great.

+ I'm all for Teambuilding QOL, so I really appreciated the accessibility of Nature Mints in Lavaridge and Ability Capsules in the Dept. Store.

-- EXP Grinding was painful, especially at the end where the level curve jumps too quickly from 59 to 65. I'd like to add that, through discovering the new Fakemon, I changed my team around alot to end up with my
    HOF team, so I had to grind alot to keep the new party members up to level. I suggest maybe adding Generation 6's Exp Share or have some Audino-like Pokémon with high EXP yield just to make EXP grinding a little less of a nuissance. I don't know if the Lucky Egg is hidden somewhere within the game, so I never found it. It would be nice to have that be accessible.

-- I didn't like having to teach HMs to my Pokémon, nor do I like having a Pokémon whose sole purpose is to use them. I would really appreciate it if HMs were at least made so they didn't have to be in the Pokémon's moveset for them to be used. I would've liked to teach Dual Wingbeat to my Salamence, but I really didn't wanna take off the option of fast travelling.

- While I do appreciate, at the very least, that HMs can be replaced, I do find it unfortunate that TMs are consumed upon use. When TMs were made infinitely reusable in Generation 5, I can imagine alot of players being really happy about the change. I am aware of the TM crafting system this hack has, and I'm sure such system works really well for Generation 9 games, where more Pokémon are spawned at once and auto-battling is a thing, I just don't think it works well in Generation 3's old encounter system. But that's just me, I just don't like long grinding. It's why this point has only one minus, but because of this, I had to rely alot on my Pokémon's level-up movepool instead of TM moves I couldn't just buy.

- I just wonder why Hyper Training was even added in a hack like this. It just feels unecessary since IVs aren't that much of a worry.
    (edit: This might sound contradictory to what I said about Teambuilding QOL, but while Nature Mints can be bought normally for a noticeable return, Hyper Training requires seeking out a specific rare item for something most people wouldn't engage much with it. Besides, it's not like there is an IV rater that outright tells the player that their Pokémon's IVs are bad or E-, right?)

All in all, This hack felt like vanilla Pokémon Emerald with a modern battle engine and some new Pokémon. I found this hack good, but not without its flaws

Now for some bugs I found:
    - Alternate forms of most Pokémon either have an invalid cry, or Bulbasaur's cry. They may also not have a dex index in their summary menu.
    - TM compability and Mucus Glob locations weren't documented. (for anyone that's curious, Mucus Glob can be found hidden around the region, use the Dowsing Machine to find them. I found 2. one in Lilycove and another on Route 115)

Spoiler: My HOF Team

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen yesterday
    So I finally beat this game, and I have some things I'd like to touch upon. Each point will have a number of pluses or minuses depending on how much I like or dislike the part of the game I want to talk about:

+++ I really liked most of the Fakemon and I really like how fleshed out they are, from their designs, their sprites, their stats, to even their cries. They're all so tempting to have on a team. I also really like
    the Pokédex. It's a very wide variety without being too big. Maybe sometimes it isn't at all necessary to have every single Pokémon in the game. No one's gonna cry if for example Maractus wasn't in the game (im sorry maractus ily)
    also not having baby pokemon is really fucking based i just wanted to add that

++ The difficulty is amazing. I definetly wasn't steamrolling through every boss battle. This hack provides a good challenge without being unfair, or necessitating the use of EVs or using tools the player doesn't have access to at that point and I find that really great.

+ I'm all for Teambuilding QOL, so I really appreciated the accessibility of Nature Mints in Lavaridge and Ability Capsules in the Dept. Store.

-- EXP Grinding was painful, especially at the end where the level curve jumps too quickly from 59 to 65. I'd like to add that, through discovering the new Fakemon, I changed my team around alot to end up with my
    HOF team, so I had to grind alot to keep the new party members up to level. I suggest maybe adding Generation 6's Exp Share or have some Audino-like Pokémon with high EXP yield just to make EXP grinding a little less of a nuissance. I don't know if the Lucky Egg is hidden somewhere within the game, so I never found it. It would be nice to have that be accessible.

-- I didn't like having to teach HMs to my Pokémon, nor do I like having a Pokémon whose sole purpose is to use them. I would really appreciate it if HMs were at least made so they didn't have to be in the Pokémon's moveset for them to be used. I would've liked to teach Dual Wingbeat to my Salamence, but I really didn't wanna take off the option of fast travelling.

- While I do appreciate, at the very least, that HMs can be replaced, I do find it unfortunate that TMs are consumed upon use. When TMs were made infinitely reusable in Generation 5, I can imagine alot of players being really happy about the change. I am aware of the TM crafting system this hack has, and I'm sure such system works really well for Generation 9 games, where more Pokémon are spawned at once and auto-battling is a thing, I just don't think it works well in Generation 3's old encounter system. But that's just me, I just don't like long grinding. It's why this point has only one minus, but because of this, I had to rely alot on my Pokémon's level-up movepool instead of TM moves I couldn't just buy.

- I just wonder why Hyper Training was even added in a hack like this. It just feels unecessary since IVs aren't that much of a worry.
    (edit: This might sound contradictory to what I said about Teambuilding QOL, but while Nature Mints can be bought normally for a noticeable return, Hyper Training requires seeking out a specific rare item for something most people wouldn't engage much with it. Besides, it's not like there is an IV rater that outright tells the player that their Pokémon's IVs are bad or E-, right?)

All in all, This hack felt like vanilla Pokémon Emerald with a modern battle engine and some new Pokémon. I found this hack good, but not without its flaws

Now for some bugs I found:
    - Alternate forms of most Pokémon either have an invalid cry, or Bulbasaur's cry. They may also not have a dex index in their summary menu.
    - TM compability and Mucus Glob locations weren't documented. (for anyone that's curious, Mucus Glob can be found hidden around the region, use the Dowsing Machine to find them. I found 2. one in Lilycove and another on Route 115)

Spoiler: My HOF Team
    Thank you for the in-depth response, I really appreciate it!

- The Victory Road level curve is definitely a bit of a jump, I'll give you that - I'll try to think of some ways to make that a little less painful for the next version. The Lucky Egg is available, though I'm not surprised you missed it, as it's given by an NPC in the Safari Zone and it's not in the item location document. This will be amended for the next version - I might also give wild Togetic a chance of holding one. I was hesitant because in previous hacks I've made EXP a little too easily accessible and it's damaged the difficulty curve, but I may well have overcorrected. I won't be adding the gen 6 Exp. Share though - that's something a hack needs to be fully balanced around, and this one isn't.

- I completely understand the gripe with HMs. That said, this is unfortunately a point I'm unwilling to budge on - I like the experience of having your team members tangibly assist you in getting around the overworld. For this hack in particular, I also don't think every Pokémon on your team needs to be optimized - Fly may not be as good as Dual Wingbeat, but it's still workable. (Also, if you want to improve Fly or Dive, you can pick up a Power Herb from the Lavaridge medicine vendor - like in Scarlet and Violet, consumable items outside of Berries get restored after a battle.)

- Fair point about the TM system. I know it's not for everyone, and I certainly expected it to be one of the more contentious points in the hack. My response to this point actually wound up rather long, so I'll spoiler it - TL;DR I don't like the implications that reusable TMs would have for this hack both in terms of balance and thought required from the player.
    Spoiler:

- Now, having said all that stuff about your Pokémon not needing to be optimal... yeah, you caught me. Hyper Training was probably an unnecessary addition. But I needed something to replace the Battle Tent in Fallarbor! I may add an IV judge there in the future.

- The cries should be fixed for the next update, totally my fault. I somehow forgot to include cries for Spectracle's alternate forms, which wound up throwing off the whole table. Not sure about the dex numbers, though. Could you provide a screenshot?

- TM compatibility is not documented, but that's mostly because doing so would be a nightmare. Mucus Globs are farmable off wild Pyukumuku, though like the Lucky Egg I forgot to put this in the item locations document, so that'll be updated next time.

I found that the move Flip Turn also causes the game to freeze/ crash during the animation. My emulator is MyBoy. Version is 1.0.1.
    As I've said before, I can't guarantee compatibility with emulators that aren't mGBA. MyBoy seems to have quite a few of these crashes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    Thank you for the in-depth response, I really appreciate it!

- The Victory Road level curve is definitely a bit of a jump, I'll give you that - I'll try to think of some ways to make that a little less painful for the next version. The Lucky Egg is available, though I'm not surprised you missed it, as it's given by an NPC in the Safari Zone and it's not in the item location document. This will be amended for the next version - I might also give wild Togetic a chance of holding one. I was hesitant because in previous hacks I've made EXP a little too easily accessible and it's damaged the difficulty curve, but I may well have overcorrected. I won't be adding the gen 6 Exp. Share though - that's something a hack needs to be fully balanced around, and this one isn't.

- I completely understand the gripe with HMs. That said, this is unfortunately a point I'm unwilling to budge on - I like the experience of having your team members tangibly assist you in getting around the overworld. For this hack in particular, I also don't think every Pokémon on your team needs to be optimized - Fly may not be as good as Dual Wingbeat, but it's still workable. (Also, if you want to improve Fly or Dive, you can pick up a Power Herb from the Lavaridge medicine vendor - like in Scarlet and Violet, consumable items outside of Berries get restored after a battle.)

- Fair point about the TM system. I know it's not for everyone, and I certainly expected it to be one of the more contentious points in the hack. My response to this point actually wound up rather long, so I'll spoiler it - TL;DR I don't like the implications that reusable TMs would have for this hack both in terms of balance and thought required from the player.
    Spoiler:

- Now, having said all that stuff about your Pokémon not needing to be optimal... yeah, you caught me. Hyper Training was probably an unnecessary addition. But I needed something to replace the Battle Tent in Fallarbor! I may add an IV judge there in the future.

- The cries should be fixed for the next update, totally my fault. I somehow forgot to include cries for Spectracle's alternate forms, which wound up throwing off the whole table. Not sure about the dex numbers, though. Could you provide a screenshot?

- TM compatibility is not documented, but that's mostly because doing so would be a nightmare. Mucus Globs are farmable off wild Pyukumuku, though like the Lucky Egg I forgot to put this in the item locations document, so that'll be updated next time.
    Hello. You're very welcome. After all, the whole reason why I wrote my response was because I wanted to see this hack become better.

- Regarding the level curve in the endgame, I suggest toning the Pokémon League's levels from 65~70 to maybe 61~66. As for the Lucky Egg, yeah I wish I knew beforehand where it was. At some point I considered going there to grab a Tauros so I could've stumbled upon the item, but I changed my mind.

- I do understand where you're coming from with your take on HMs. I think Hoenn isn't bad with the land-based HMs. My biggest gripe were the water HMs. My starter was a special-offensive Water-type and I really did not want to take off its Ice coverage over Dive and Waterfall. It's the biggest reason why I complained about HMs.

- You have a point with your take on TMs. I think at the very least I appreciate that TMs can be copied, unlike games before Generation 5 where some TMs are obtained once and never again. It would be nice if the wild encounters required for a TM hunt had their encounter odds boosted, but I don't know the full extent of what can be done with decomp, so it's fine if it can't be done. I would appreciate a notification that mentions how many encounters I need to KO before the requirement would be done.

- In my opinion, the Battle Tent could be replaced to a place to grind EXP in. Perhaps by having trainers there that can be infinitely rematched that get progressively higher leveled the more badges you have. Something like the Battle Chateau in X&Y.

- I've attached a screenshot detailing the Pokédex index bug below. I made it a spoiler to not spoil the roaming legendary for anyone.

Oh yeah, and another bug I found is that while Slateport's ferry isn't available as intended, Lilycove's ferry is available and can be used to go to the Battle Frontier.

Spoiler: Pokedex index bug in Summary

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2024
    Really enjoying this ROM hack! Only question is how do you find Hidden Abilities in this game?

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen yesterday
    Hello. You're very welcome. After all, the whole reason why I wrote my response was because I wanted to see this hack become better.

- Regarding the level curve in the endgame, I suggest toning the Pokémon League's levels from 65~70 to maybe 61~66. As for the Lucky Egg, yeah I wish I knew beforehand where it was. At some point I considered going there to grab a Tauros so I could've stumbled upon the item, but I changed my mind.

- I do understand where you're coming from with your take on HMs. I think Hoenn isn't bad with the land-based HMs. My biggest gripe were the water HMs. My starter was a special-offensive Water-type and I really did not want to take off its Ice coverage over Dive and Waterfall. It's the biggest reason why I complained about HMs.

- You have a point with your take on TMs. I think at the very least I appreciate that TMs can be copied, unlike games before Generation 5 where some TMs are obtained once and never again. It would be nice if the wild encounters required for a TM hunt had their encounter odds boosted, but I don't know the full extent of what can be done with decomp, so it's fine if it can't be done. I would appreciate a notification that mentions how many encounters I need to KO before the requirement would be done.

- In my opinion, the Battle Tent could be replaced to a place to grind EXP in. Perhaps by having trainers there that can be infinitely rematched that get progressively higher leveled the more badges you have. Something like the Battle Chateau in X&Y.

- I've attached a screenshot detailing the Pokédex index bug below. I made it a spoiler to not spoil the roaming legendary for anyone.

Oh yeah, and another bug I found is that while Slateport's ferry isn't available as intended, Lilycove's ferry is available and can be used to go to the Battle Frontier.

Spoiler: Pokedex index bug in Summary
    - The Water HMs are the biggest problem, yeah. I will point out though, that because Surf is also an HM (and I'm assuming that's what your Cetayser had), it's possible to use Surf, teach Dive / Waterfall when they're necessary, use them, and then immediately re-teach Surf. It's a little time-consuming, but it's an option.

- I don't think I'll be adding a place that exists solely to allow you to grind EXP. Something like that would feel a little artificial to me, in a bad way. I may, however, try to figure out a system to allow you to rematch Victory Road trainers, to ease the grind for the E4.

- Goddammit I could've sworn I fixed the ferry thing. Oh well. I don't think the Battle Frontier is going to crash your game or anything, but it will be pretty broken, full of placeholder Bulbasaur sprites, and the ferry is fully unedited too. Just don't go there.

Really enjoying this ROM hack! Only question is how do you find Hidden Abilities in this game?
    Wild Pokémon have a 1/25 chance of appearing with their Hidden Ability, which also applies for most static and gift Pokémon (with the exceptions being the starter you get from Birch and the weather trio, which cannot have their Hidden Abilities when you get them). Ability Patches also exist - you can find one in Trick Forest and you can repeatedly trade a man in Lilycove three of each Nectar to receive one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    Really fun hack, enjoyed having an excuse to revisit Emerald again! The Fakemon were all pretty fun and interesting, as were the changes made to canon Pokemon (Cramorant and Furret being the real standouts for me, as evidenced by the fact they were in my Hall of Fame team lmao), which all felt pretty tasteful without veering too far into "difficulty hack" tier changes like minmaxing stats too heavily or nonsensical (although I'm not really sure about the Torkoal retype, personally).
    Spoiler: Final Team

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    Look, I'm going to be as blunt as I can. I'm very unobservant and have a hard time finding things, yet I also want to experience the funny new mons out the gate, apparently in Altering Cave. Is there a list of passwords I can use to take a look sooner rather than later?

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok So im Just saying this for the sake of saying it i have read the other comments and i just don't agree with HM's being tied to your pokemon, like to give an example i have just beat the 5th leader and obtained surf. now normally this would be a good thing as now i can go across water but because i need to use it on one of my pokemon i need to get rid of a move BUT i then ask you what happens if i dont have a pokemon that learns surf? well then i need to sacrifice one of my party slots for a HM Slave now i don't really like this in pokemon because this means that i cant use the team i wanted to use and also means one of my party members isn't gaining any EXP anymore, and with how badly I've been earning EXP i need all i can get ( to clarify i got to sidny with only level 31-33 pokemon ) this means im VASTLY under leveled compared to other trainers and bosses and as a person who doesn't have a lot of time on there hands cant just sit there and grind low level pokemon for 2 hours, Grinding IS NOT FUN its tedious and time consuming HM's should NOT be tied to pokemon, like im sorry but i just cant enjoy this hack in its current state. ( Or at least give players an option for infinite rare candys to help with grinding )

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    So I ran into a bug in the game corner, specifically the roulette table. The ball continuously rises until its off screen and never actually goes anywhere on the table, effectively softlocking you in the mini game. I'm playing on the 1.0.1 trashman patch using the myboy emulator

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen yesterday
    Really fun hack, enjoyed having an excuse to revisit Emerald again! The Fakemon were all pretty fun and interesting, as were the changes made to canon Pokemon (Cramorant and Furret being the real standouts for me, as evidenced by the fact they were in my Hall of Fame team lmao), which all felt pretty tasteful without veering too far into "difficulty hack" tier changes like minmaxing stats too heavily or nonsensical (although I'm not really sure about the Torkoal retype, personally).
    Spoiler: Final Team
    Thank you! Regarding Torkoal, yeah, I agree it's probably the stretchiest of the type changes and not strictly necessary - it's a holdover from older hacks and one I didn't think about too critically. I'm hesitant to revert it, though, just because it's the only Fire / Steel available in the game.

Ok So im Just saying this for the sake of saying it i have read the other comments and i just don't agree with HM's being tied to your pokemon, like to give an example i have just beat the 5th leader and obtained surf. now normally this would be a good thing as now i can go across water but because i need to use it on one of my pokemon i need to get rid of a move BUT i then ask you what happens if i dont have a pokemon that learns surf? well then i need to sacrifice one of my party slots for a HM Slave now i don't really like this in pokemon because this means that i cant use the team i wanted to use and also means one of my party members isn't gaining any EXP anymore, and with how badly I've been earning EXP i need all i can get ( to clarify i got to sidny with only level 31-33 pokemon ) this means im VASTLY under leveled compared to other trainers and bosses and as a person who doesn't have a lot of time on there hands cant just sit there and grind low level pokemon for 2 hours, Grinding IS NOT FUN its tedious and time consuming HM's should NOT be tied to pokemon, like im sorry but i just cant enjoy this hack in its current state. ( Or at least give players an option for infinite rare candys to help with grinding )
    I understand your complaints. Respectfully, though, I think the experience that you're looking for in a Pokémon game is not one that this hack is ever going to provide. You're kind of overstating the Surf HM issue - I can't imagine a lot of people are going to get through this game without a single Water-type on their team, and even those who do still have options. But even so, you're approaching this from the perspective of "I am going to use these six Pokémon and that's all," in which case, yeah, if none of those six get Surf you have a problem, but there is a solution, which is... don't just use those six Pokémon. Adjust what you're willing to have on your team to take into account that you'll need Surf. It really isn't that big a deal.

Infinite Rare Candies is absolutely never going to happen. I get that grinding is a contentious issue, and that this hack will occasionally ask for it. But it asks for it in (in my experience) relatively small and reasonable doses, save for the Elite Four which as I've mentioned I'm working on improving. This especially applies if you clear out optional areas as they become available rather than speeding through the most direct route, and if you fight wild Pokémon rather than running or using Repels. If you aren't able to spend some time getting one or two levels on your team per badge, then this isn't the game for you.

I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy the game. You probably never will; the things you're asking for here are not things this hack is going to provide. And that's perfectly fine! There are plenty of hacks out there with a focus on QoL features like the ones you're requesting. This just isn't one of them, and I don't intend to make it one.

So I ran into a bug in the game corner, specifically the roulette table. The ball continuously rises until its off screen and never actually goes anywhere on the table, effectively softlocking you in the mini game. I'm playing on the 1.0.1 trashman patch using the myboy emulator
    As I've said, I can't account for any bugs that happen because of MyBoy; the game is designed for mGBA. From the reports I've heard, MyBoy doesn't sound like a great emulator.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2024
    Hi I'm really loving this hack!
    I am kind of stumped tho, I finished the trick forest puzzle ( may I add without any hints ) and I got the scroll and we sang praises of the trick master. Now what do I do. Where even is the trick master and how do i show him the scroll contents

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi I'm really loving this hack!
    I am kind of stumped tho, I finished the trick forest puzzle ( may I add without any hints ) and I got the scroll and we sang praises of the trick master. Now what do I do. Where even is the trick master and how do i show him the scroll contents
    Spoiler:

Pokémon Emerald Z (Fakemon Hack | Complete | v1.2.0 available! Material drop system implemented!)
    Pokémon Emerald Z (Fakemon Hack | Complete | v1.2.0 available! Material drop system implemented!)

Emerald Z v.1.0.2 is now available! Contains a new held item, a revamp to an old Ability, a more useful Pokédex, earlier access to some TMs, changes to make levelling easier, bugfixes, and more. As always, patch to a clean Emerald ROM and put it in the same directory as the old one to avoid losing progress.
    Spoiler: Changelog

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    This hack is a god send, thank you very much! Happy to see a new good quality fakemon rom hack again!

Back