• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An idea

Andrea-chan

~In the shadows~
Years
  • The way I look at it, as long as the Gym Leader isn't maxing out on EVs and all that stuff then it should all work out fine (I'm not trying to single anyone out, I'm just trying to be fair to everyone). You want the Gym Leader hard, not imposable.
    I'm not going to get into how Gym Leaders are going to be picked that's down the road if we agree on it (maybe the Staff will have to regulate it somehow, who knows).
    But we don't need NetBattle (that just blows the whole point of this). And as long as the Gym Leaders can be beaten by the members then that's good (because some people will go by EVs, there will be people on PC that is going to have a team that isn't going to beaten by normal D/P players. Members will run into them people even if we don't have a Gym system up).

Shiney

Sometimes, we come back!
    Years
  • In general, I really like this idea too, but I have to say, I think it could use a few more tweaks then what's already been suggested. For instance, a casual player, who puts a lot of time and effort into creating his team, well rounded, taking them adventuring everywhere, but doesn't bother with EV's, preferring to actually train with his pokemonm, instead of "N00berfying" them, as it's called in some places, will almost always be at a disadvantage to someone who does this. I'm sure that there would be a way to balance this out, I'm simply not sure what it is.

As far as gym leaders, I think that they should have the same rules as any other trainer, and I don't think stopping them from breeding, or exceeding certian stats and whatnot. Heck, gym leaders are practically referred to as Elite trainers (not like the elite four.) in several reguards, approved standards for other trainers to test themselves against.

I'm actuallt for the idea of setting yup multiple leagues... A N00berfy- Sorry, "elite" League, for the people who want to focus on maximizing every possible stat of their pokemon, Something for people who want to focus more on the creative aspets, maybe one for learning?

Another minor note... Any possible way to tie this into roleplaying, is a good way.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    I think before talks start about how to fix the EV possibly problem we should find out how many players in the forum actually aim for EVs, and how many don't. From there I think thats where we should think of how to deal with it.

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    Could the Gym Leaders be decided by join date and post count? Also that the Gym Leaders can represent a certain section of the forum. Their activity on that certain forum would be a requirement also.

Great idea by the way.

Absolitude

Disaster in Absol clothing
    Years
  • it wouldn't be fair if the gym leaders were determined by how long they are here, or how much they post, because then if someone just joined like yesterday, but they are the best in America (or where ever you live) then they wouldn't be chosen and people wouldn't have as much as a challenge or something. I just don't like the idea of choosing like that. And what do you mean by represent a certain forum? I don't get that.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I say, don't worry about EVs and such. Are you forgetting the fact that gyms have their specific type? So having one or two pokémon that have an advantage one the type would completely ruin the point of having EVs, as they wouldn't help a lot. They would help, yes, but probably not enough.

As for when signing up for the league, you should have to register a team, and only one team and you can only use that team. However, the gym leaders should be free to change their pokémon and strategies, but keep their own type. ^.^ Also, I think the levels should be freestyle (100 or lower). There shouldn't be a cap on the limit. If the gym leader doesn't have high enough pokémon, then that is their own problem. Also, the gym leader CAN setup a rule stating how many pokémon can be used. So when challenging a particular gym, you should be forced to use only a certain amount of pokémon depending on the gyms' rules.

And not to be offensive, but I agree with Absolitude. That idea is idiotic. The people who wish to be a gym leader should APPLY. In their application, they state how many pokémon can be used, what type their gym is, if they'd like a team with them etc etc.

I also have another idea: Depending on the gym leader, they could have trainers in their too that work for them. If by any chance the trainer seems to be remarkably good and the leader likes them, they can send an invite/suggestion towards the admins to have the trainers promoted to create a new gym, preferably of the type they previously were.

One last thing, if all of you are afraid of facing people who battle properly (With EVs/IVs etc), then why don't you ask them for their own opinions?

Andrea-chan

~In the shadows~
    Years
  • Could the Gym Leaders be decided by join date and post count? Also that the Gym Leaders can represent a certain section of the forum. Their activity on that certain forum would be a requirement also.

Great idea by the way.
    I think join date should be a factor (post count no so much). You don't want to make someone a Gym leader and then next week see them walk out the door because they're a new member here.
    Just because the person is good as a D/P player doesn't mean the person would make a good Gym Leader or E4 member.

it wouldn't be fair if the gym leaders were determined by how long they are here, or how much they post, because then if someone just joined like yesterday, but they are the best in America (or where ever you live) then they wouldn't be chosen and people wouldn't have as much as a challenge or something. I just don't like the idea of choosing like that. And what do you mean by represent a certain forum? I don't get that.
    Well if the person was best in America then you likely wouldn't see that person on a Gym. As I said before, you want to make the Gyms hard, not imposable.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    I think a lot of you guys make good points. Lightning offered an aspect on how the gyms might be able to work, followed by Morkula. Arcanine brought up a good point about the EVs which may or not bring up problems. But some people brought up alternatives such as poketrainer, andrea, and shiney.

With all that in mind, I have a few ideas. For the gyms, I agree with Killer-Swift. I think there should be applications. But in addition, I think it should be the Elite Four to allow them in or not (after a certain amount of gyms is set-up). Should they be themed like most gyms? Or should they be a some-what free gym, like Giovanni(I know Giovanni owns the Earth gym, but he had Mewtwo)? I personally think there should be themed gyms, but maybe a consensus should be made about that.

As for the EVs, there are many ways to deal with that. I'll list some alternatives I thought up numerically (using some of the ideas posted by the people here):

1. You can totally ban the use of trying to get EVs. The Elite Four and gym leaders can look over the players and make sure they aren't using them. It might be a bit tedious at start, but I am sure the honor system would come in and people won't try and be slick and get through, and if they did they would be caught.

2. You can let people get EVs and see how that works. People with EVs cant have THAT much of an advantage over people who don't, if that was the case I am sure they would of raised the level cap. Also, if the standard is lvl 50, then I am sure the use of EVs wouldn't be THAT much of a factor.

3. You can not allow gym leaders try and get EVs but let everyone else do it. That way, gym leaders won't be impossible.

4. You can make two leagues. A league where EVs are banned, and a league where getting EVs is permitted. In order for that to happen though, you would have to get enough people interested in both (which I am sure could happen).

Those are some alternatives that could happen. Personally, I'd be satisfied with either option one, or option two.

---

In the last note, I would like to see if this is going to happen. It seems both staff and members like this idea, and this can be started before the game comes out (setting up the standard 8 gym leaders, registration, etc).

Thank you.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    I apologize for double posting, but I think I need to bring this up. Several staff members and members took interest in this idea and talked about possible solutions to possible problems. Though, this thread was bumped down (which is fine obviously) but no further word has been brought up about this.

Is there any chance of this happening?

Last edited:

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • I like this idea alot but I don't think it would go very smoothly. You hafta understand that alot of the members we have here will get out of hand and cuz alot of tension.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    I like this idea alot but I don't think it would go very smoothly. You hafta understand that alot of the members we have here will get out of hand and cuz alot of tension.

Thats kind of why there are moderators in the first place... This is basically RP'ing with just adding the game to it, and the RPs run fine.

Years
  • I think this idea is brilliant, but I think it should start about a week after the game is out. This is due to the time it will take, and the fact that since we're battling using wifi(I think) if we start the day the game is out most of us will be extremely noobish, we should get time to get some pokemon and train them a little.

We should definetely have to register a team at entry, but with two or three substitutions. Also if a pokemon evolves, or learns a move naturally it should be ok, since we're also playing the game as we fight the league. It shouldn't effect things too much because we'll have the levels set.

Also we can't make this too easy, so in this real life pokemon league, there will have to be more than 8 gym leaders since there are so many members on the site.

As to who these people will be, I think that the top moderators or admins should be the Elite Four, and that they select the gym leaders. (We could actually have a gym for each type, which is why we'd need the substitutions I have mentioned)

And if I sounded bossy in my post, then I'm sorry I didn't mean it. I'm new hear, so I should be just standing on the side, but this is a great idea and I had to include my opinion.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I agree although we should wait a whole month b4 getting started on this so people have ample time to beat the game and get their team lined up...
    Also The gym leaders should allowed to have more than 1 type to keep things interesting a Major Gym type which consists of 4-5 pokemon of that type and a minor type which consists of 1-2 pokemon of the minor gym type
    We dont want 8 of the Exact same type gyms because ppl will align their team to beat them and rise to fight the E4 too easily.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    I agree although we should wait a whole month b4 getting started on this so people have ample time to beat the game and get their team lined up...

I don't know if a month might be to much time (because a lot of people here are pokefanatics and will probably beat the game very quickly) but I agree that we DO have to wait an alloted time in order to proceed this. Although, I think we should start picking gym leaders because a lot of people are preparing through Fire Red and Leaf Green versions.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • i have yet another Idea
    We could make an entire subforum dedicated to this Battle league under the diamond & pearl forum.
    Gym leaders and Elite 4 Members could be *halfmods (complete with usernames in a unique color) in their own gym section and then you would only need a couple more mods to preside over the halfmods as they run their gym/Elite 4Chamber along with the smods and the rest of the staff...
    *=Halfmod defined as having only Edit/Delete/Move Powers in their section (No Warn powers)

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    How about having certain gym battling using double battle or their own unique rule (like no changing pokemon until faint or a pokemon can't be in a field more than 5 turn etc)? Maybe the one that help team builder like synchronize, iceman or other people could be the frontier leader/brain... Those place really tough even in emerald in game. Even single type leader it's still be able of competitive, i mean how many water variant are there? water/dragon, water/ground/ water/flying, water/grass, water/psychic etc

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Let me clarify my Gym system a bit.
    A gym leader can have A 2 type gym
    EX
    A leader/gym Trainer can have:
    4 Type1/Anytype ---Or--- 5 Type1/Anytype
    2 Type2/Anytype ---Or--- 1 Type2/Anytype

Ullion

Years
  • I personally disagree with that. The gym's pokemon should be ONLY of their designated type. Also, members would have to register their teams before they join the league, so they have their 6 pokémon and as mentioned above, maybe a substitue or two. Also, the gym leaders' type should not be shown until the challenger fights the person. and there will also be more than 8 gyms, there will probably be more than 17 gyms, IMO there should be ~25+.

Also the halfmod idea is okay and having the subforum is also a good idea, although if you havn't read all the other posts we have already discussed that. /=

Ullion

Years
  • Like CC said, every gym will probably have different pokemon, and they will most likely have different type combos, but they should still include at least the one basic type in all 6 (Or max amount anyways) pokemon.

Back