• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Metal and Rock Music Fan Club

ZoruaAndAbsol

Master of Illusions
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2022
    Really? I could think of a hundred good rock bands still going today.

What I mean is rock ain't as big as it used to be. We still have 'Tallica, Linkin Park, Rolling Stones, Steel Panther, Bullet For My Valentine, Five Finger Death Punch, etc.

Sir Codin

Metallica hasn't produced anything good in 24 years that wasn't ruined by clipping, I find Linkin Park lame, the Rolling Stones are too old to rock, haven't listened to Steel Panther.

BFMV I used to be into, then I started listening to stuff like Slayer and realized BFMV really just isn't all that. And FFDP only have like two good songs.

Not sold. Sorry.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
    Give us 10 of your favorite rock/metal guitarists of all time.

Mine are as follows:

Kirk Hammett
    James Hetfield
    Randy Rhoads
    Jerry Cantrell
    Alex Lifeson
    Marty Friedman
    Jimmy Page
    Jimi Hendrix
    Mike McCready
    Pete Loeffler

Years
    I had never heard any of BFMV's stuff until I saw them at Download. all I can say is 'Never Again'

Sorry, but if a band cannot play well live, they're a bad band in my eyes.

As for guitarists, I only know about 2, John Petrucci (God) and Chuck Schuldiner (deceased God, R.I.P.)

If you like Summoning, give this a listen, I think the entire album is divine

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    Give us 10 of your favorite rock/metal guitarists of all time.

Mine are as follows:

Kirk Hammett
    James Hetfield
    Randy Rhoads
    Jerry Cantrell
    Alex Lifeson
    Marty Friedman
    Jimmy Page
    Jimi Hendrix
    Mike McCready
    Pete Loeffler

That's quite a nice list. I'll admit that I've never heard of Pete Loeffler. I'll give it a listen later.

For me, the list would be like this:

10) Michael Schenker - Not only was he a major influence to a lot of great guitarists, his style is just the way I like it. Not overthinking the notes, just pure shredding.
    9) Judas Priest duo - Glenn Tipton & K.K. Downing know where it's at. When they start a soloing duel in their songs, it's just awesome. Nothing more.
    8) Yngwie Malmsteen - A man whose greatest influence is Paganini. I really love his riffs and the melodic parts of his solos. But most of the time, he's just shredding way too much, as if he's trying to show off his speed. If it weren't for that, he'd be higher on my list.
    7) Kirk Hammett - I just like his style. That's all xD
    6) Jimi Hendrix - Of course, what "best guitarists" list doesn't have Hendrix on it?
    5) Iron Maiden trio - Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Janick Gers. I love everything about Iron Maiden. The not-too-complicated, but awesome riffs & the solos. They're still not too high on this list because their solos are, well, great, but not amazing. Could be more melodic, less pentatonic.
    4) Andy Timmons - A really, really underrated and sadly, unknown guitarist, who does mostly instrumentals. And amazing instrumentals they are! It's like he's telling a mindblowing story in every one of his songs. So melodic, fast, slow, simple, complicated, anything you want.
    3) Tony Iommi - The father of metal, who, despite losing two fingers, continued to melt our faces with the best riffs ever!
    2) Ritchie Blackmore - My second-favorite guitarist of all time. I just love everything about his music, both the rhythm and the solo parts.
    1) Randy Rhoads - Definitely my favorite guitarist ever. This list will probably change through time, but I'm sure Randy will always keep the #1 spot. He really knew what he was doing!

Well, that's my list.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Didn't know this club existed. K.

What's your favorite band and genre, and what got you into metal/rock in the first place?

My favorite genre would have to be metal and my favorite band would have to be either Amon Amarth or Rings Of Saturn. I don't really know what first got me into the whole rock/metal scene. I know from a young age I was listening to rock pretty much all the time. And I first got into satanic/death metal in first grade when we had XM radio, I would always come home and turn the tv to the "Liquid Metal" channel and then turn the speakers up all the way so that everyone could hear the music since my parents didn't get home til like 6 or 7 and I got home at 2 or 3.

Years
    The amount of people who immediately stereotype metal as being satanic sickens me, it doesn't even represent 1% of it. I remember having a massive argument with my grandfather about it. There are only 2 'satanic' metal bands I like: Belphegor and Ragnarok.

Not just Scandinavian metal, pretty much all metal from Eastern Europe is really good IMO, you should hear the stuff from Poland!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    The first metal song I ever memorized the lyrics to was a Dimmu Borgir song simply because I like brass choirs. I listen to a lot of religious metal. I have a few christian metal bands on my Spotify and then two or three christian. And then if I could find some more bands based off of mythology like Amon Amarth I'd be happy with my metal collection. I'm into some of the older stuff like Heathen but most of the stuff I listen to is like 97-2010/11 because I don't really like a lot of the new stuff bands have been coming out with the past couple years.

Years
    I love the play style of Amon Amarth, few favourites being Fate of Norns, A Fury Divine, and Embrace Of The Endless Ocean to name a few.

Sear Bliss are the only band I know of that actually use brass in their stuff that dont use it over the top.

Sir Codin

"Destroyer of the Universe" is my favorite Amon Amarth song, followed by "Twilight of the Thunder God."

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I downloaded the whole Deceiver of the Gods album, I don't know any singular songs from it, but I do enjoy the album as a whole. For Victory or Death though. All time favorite song by them though would have to be Live for the Kill, because violin solo.

Years
    Thats the split song they did with Apocalypta isn't it? that song is awesome. I don't think its a violin, I think its the bigger one (Cello?)

A natural force...
    that knows no remorse...
    AND LIVES FOR THE KILL

I can't believe I forgot about that song...

on a seperate note, I am really in love with this song atm, not really heavy at all, guitars are non-existant in this song, no vocals either, just a piano, drums and I think Bass too.

anyway, if you feel like giving it a listen and you wanna relax or whatever, give this a listen: Alatyr - Prazdnota

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    A very short list of all the bands between soft pop rock and the heaviest of the metals that I have on my Spotify, for my reference and for musical suggestions. I would go through other places that I have music to complete the list, but I don't want to be looking through my music all day.

Spoiler:

Back