• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Metal and Rock Music Fan Club

Sir Codin

Long hair isn't a requirement to be a metalhead. Just be yourself and like metal. That's all there is to it.

Also, question for any Sepultura listeners.

Max Cavalera or Derrick Green?

Years
    What rock/metal bands have you seen live, and who was your favorite? Who sucked the most?

I went to Download festival in 2010, the bands that stood out for me were KIllswitch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch and Lamb of God. Worst performance goes to Bullet For My Valentine, even Studioforce dont play that terribly live... it was just noise.

Sir Codin

I haven't really been to too many live concerts, but I've seen live videos.

I went to see local Monterey bands live at my school one time. Best out of them was this hardcore punk band named On One.

Worst was some deathcore band. Worst I've seen on live videos has to be early Dragonforce (they've gotten better lately, but they're still kinda lame).

Years
    I heard Dragonforce had a new vocalist some time ago, maybe he is actually writing non repetitive lyrics. I don't hate dragonforce, but to me, if you can't play live, then you're not a good band. Thats just my viewpoint though, and I havent seen dragonforce since the new lineup, so I can't really say anything.

I've done from fast paced stuff to slower, heavier sounding stuff like doom metal and ambient lately.

Sir Codin

I heard Dragonforce had a new vocalist some time ago, maybe he is actually writing non repetitive lyrics. I don't hate dragonforce, but to me, if you can't play live, then you're not a good band. Thats just my viewpoint though, and I havent seen dragonforce since the new lineup, so I can't really say anything.

I've done from fast paced stuff to slower, heavier sounding stuff like doom metal and ambient lately.
    I'm going off just based on recent live videos of DF (even with their old singer) and seeing them generally not ♥♥♥♥ up their performances as much as they used to. But still, that doesn't change the fact that if you've heard one DF song, you've heard em all.

Years
    more and more of the stuff I am liking now are one man bands (some eventually become full bands but...), and a lot of bands I used to like have changed completely.

In Flames, for example, I think they used to be some of the best in the MDM business, unti after Come Clarity, from that point, they've changed far too much for my liking and they're not up to what they used to be... The Jester race, Lunar Strain, and Subterranian were Godlike albums.

Garden Of Shadows, who are now Dying Fetus, used to be Atmospheric Death Metal, and Oracle Moon has to be one of the best albums I have ever heard, the style of the music was very unique and it worked really well, Now they are a Deathcore band and I'm not really a fan of their stuff. There was only 1 other band I know of that did songs in a similar style called Paranormal Waltz, but they only released a demo in 1997 and havent released anything since :(

Sir Codin

As far as recommendations go, here's my current list:

CarcharOdin said:
    Comprised here is a list of bands and albums I've listened to or have that I or someone else has recommended. This isn't really a "best of" or anything like that, it's just a long of stuff I've listened to. It covers a wide array of subgenres, here's the key:
    [Band] Album or comments about albums (Genres)

[Black Sabbath] – Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Masters of Reality (Classic metal)
    [Judas Priest] – British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Painkiller (Classic metal, speed metal)
    [Motorhead] – Icon (Speed metal)
    [Venom] Welcome to Hell (Extreme speed metal)
    [Queensryche] Operation Mindcrime (Trad metal/Progressive metal); FANTASTIC ALBUM
    [Death] – any, but Scream Bloody Gore and Human are good places to start (Death Metal early career, progressive/tech-death metal later career) NOTE: These guys are credited as the very first death metal band
    [Carcass] Heartwork (Melodic death metal)
    [Dark Tranquility] Damage Done (Melodic death metal)
    [Lost Horizon] – A Flame to the Ground Beneath (Power metal/progressive metal)
    [Sonata Arctica] – Reckoning Night (Power metal)
    [Iced Earth] The Blessed and the Damned (U.S. Power Metal/some Thrash metal)
    [Cradle of Filth] Midian (Extreme gothic metal)
    [Wolves in the Throne Room] Black Cascade, Celestial Lineage (U.S. Atmospheric black metal)
    [Emperor] In the Nightside Eclipse, IX Equilibrium (Symphonic black metal)
    [Metallica] anything from the 80's (Thrash metal)
    [Prong] Beg To Differ, Prove You Wrong, Cleansing (B.T.D is thrash metal, the other two are groove metal)
    [Pantera] anything from 1990 to 2000, especially Vulgar Display Of Power (Groove metal)
    [Exhorder] Slaughter in the Vatican, The Law (Groove Metal/thrash metal)
    [Machine Head] any except The Burning Red and Supercharger; I highly recommend Burn My Eyes, The Blackening, and Unto The Locust(Groove metal/thrash metal)
    [Slayer] Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, Divine Intervention (Thrash metal)
    [Rhapsody] – Tales from the Emerald Sword Saga (Symphonic power metal)
    [Nightwish] – anything with Tarja Turunen on vocals (Symphonic metal w/female vocals)
    [Symphony X] Paradise Lost (Progressive Metal)
    [Dream Theater] Images & Words, Awake, Metropolis Pt2 (Progressive metal); A Change Of Seasons is their best song, IMO.
    [Tystnaden] Sham of Perfection (Gothic metal w/female vocals)
    [Nevermore] This Godless Endeavor (Progressive groove metal)
    [Sepultura] any with Max Cavalera on vocals except Roots. Dante XXI and The Mediator are also great albums. (Thrash metal/death metal early material; later material is groove metal)
    [A Storm of Light] And We Wept the Black Ocean Within (Post-metal/doom metal)
    [High On Fire] Snakes of the Divine, De Vermis Mysteriis (Stoner metal/sludge metal)
    [Mastodon] Leviathan (Progressive sludge metal)
    [Bolt Thrower] anything from War Master onwards (Death metal)
    [Mayhem] De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas (Black metal)
    [Drudkh] Autumn Aurora, Eternal Turn of the Wheel (Atmospheric black metal)
    [Overkill] Ironbound, i hear Horrorscope is amazing too (Thrash metal)
    [Saint Vitus] Mournful Cries (Doom metal)
    [Iron Maiden] Number of the Beast, Powerslave (Traditional heavy metal)
    [Kamelot] The Black Halo (Symphonic power metal)
    [Black Breath] Sentenced to Life (kind of a genre mix of Black metal/speed metal/crust punk/hardcore punk/death metal instrumentally, vocalist screams a lot, so this might not be for you)
    [Kreator] Pleasure to Kill (Thrash metal/extreme metal)
    [Fear Factory] Demanufacture, Obsolete (Industrial groove metal/some thrash and death influences)
    [Vader] Litany (Death metal)
    [Amon Amarth] With Oden On Our Side, Twilight of the Thunder God, Surtur Rising (Melodic death metal)
    [Heaven & Hell] The Devil You Know (Traditional heavy metal/probably a little doom metal)
    [Razor] Violent Restitution (Thrash metal)
    [Taake] Nattestid Ser Porten Vid (Black metal)
    [Destruction] Eternal Devastation (Thrash metal)
    [Meshuggah] Destroy Erase Improve (Experimental extreme metal/progressive metal/groove metal)
    [Agalloch] Pale Folklore (They're a mix of Folk metal, post-metal, black metal, doom metal, and various other subgenres)
    [Eluveitie] Everything Remains As It Never Was (Folk metal/melodic death metal)
    [Enslaved] Mardraum (Black metal/progressive metal)
    [Byzantine] ...And They Shall Take Up Serpents (Groove metal/progressive metal)
    [Immortal] Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (Black metal)
    [Prostitute] Vaginal Hell Demos (Sludge metal/stoner metal)
    [Candlemass] Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (Doom metal)
    [Soulfly] Dark Ages, Conquer, Enslaved (Groove metal/thrash metal)
    [Ministry] Rio Grande Blood (Industrial metal/thrash metal)
    [Overkill] Horrorscope (Thrash metal)
    [Fool's Game] Reality Divine (Power metal/groove metal?)

Here are also some bands albums that I either haven't gotten around to listening to yet or haven't listening to much (a problem I need to correct ASAP), but I've had recommended from friends of mine:

[Vektor] Black Future (Progressive thrash metal/some black metal influences)
    [Neurosis] Times of Grace (Post-metal)
    [Brocas Helm] Defender of the Crown (Power metal); haven't listened to the entire thinig, but"Cry of the Banshee" is an AWESOME song
    [Electric Wizard] Dopethrone (Sludge/stoner metal)
    [Possessed] Seven Churches (Death metal)
    [Incantation] Infernal Storm (Death metal)
    [Ne Obliviscaris] Portal of I (Extreme progressive metal/melodic death metal)
    [Down] NOLA (Sludge metal)
    [Satyricon] Nemesis Divina (Black metal)
    [Deicide] Legions (Death metal/thrash metal)
    [Morbid Angel] Blessed Are the Sick (Death Metal)
    [Vio-lence] Eternal Nightmare (Thrash metal)
    [Saviour Machine] Savior Machine (Gothic metal)
    [Evergrey] Glorious Collision (Progressive power metal)

There's a lot more I can probably recommend, but this should be a good place to start. Some of these might be a bit abrasive to you at first, but you might come to appreciate them as I did if you let them grow on you. I don't want to color your opinion, though. Find something that fits. And if you like it, searching for similar artists on Google can broaden your horizon.
    Here are also a few websites I can recommend for more info on genres and bands; you can look these up on Google:

- Encyclopedia Metallum (the forums/users can be annoyingly elitist so I don't have an account on there, but if you're looking for bands or confirmation on whether or not something is actually "metal", this is the best place to go. Take their reviews with a grain of salt, though, some of the users are EXTREMELY biased)

- Map of Metal (some of the genres listed like nu-metal, metalcore aren't very well liked, however; go place to find info on subgenres, though)

- Blabbermouth.net

- Metal Sucks

- MetalBandCamp: https://metalbandcamp.com/ (They have legit free downloads offered by some bands; others require payment)

- TV Trope's Useful Notes on Heavy Metal [https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/HeavyMetal]
    - and any articles on TV Tropes linking to specific subgenres.
    Hope this helps.

Years
    I LOVE that list

Death
    Amon Amarth
    Vader
    Bolt Thrower (might go see them live this november :D)
    Death
    Emperor
    Dark Tranquility
    Drudkh
    Dream Theater
    Judas Priest

love all of them man lol, I still got a lot to check out too, what's your preferred sub-genre if any at all?

Sir Codin

Probably thrash and groove, I listen to those the most. I love metal in general, so I'm not picky about subgenres.

Years
    give Gates of Ishtar a try, I'd recommend Perpetual Dawn or Eternal sin, anything off The Dawn of Flames album, they're kind of similar to Dark Tranquility to me.

Give Doom:VS - The lachrymal sleep a try too if you're feeling adventurous, slow paced, heavy, nice sounding riffs too, if that's your thing.

Gave your list another look, and definately give Ne Obliviscaris a try, that album is simply awesome, although a bit long winded (then again, dream theater is on your list, so that shouldn't really be a thing :P), my personal favourite from them is Tapestry of the Starless Abstract (something along those lines)

Sir Codin

I'd definitely recommend giving Exhorder a try, they've got a deep raw death-esque tone and there's definitely more to them than just "that one band Pantera supposedly ripped off."

Especially The Law

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
    All the bands I've seen:

Chevelle (five times)
    Bush (twice)
    Nightwish
    Kamelot
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Seether
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Metallica
    Rush (twice)
    Alice in Chains
    Deftones
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Filter
    Bad Religion
    Bullet for My Valentine
    Escape the Fate (horrible)
    Three Days Grace
    Megadeth
    Motorhead
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Kansas
    Mindless Self Indulgence
    Hyro da Hero
    Cavo (sucked)
    Evanescence
    Halestorm
    Volbeat
    Lacuna Coil
    The Birthday Massacre
    Jimmy Eat World
    Civil Twilight
    Alice Cooper
    Bachman Turner
    Newsted
    10 Years
    Ozzy Osbourne
    Serj Tankian
    Hellyeah
    Drowning Pool
    Apocalyptica
    Bronx
    ZZ Top

Worst one was Escape the Fate. It was at a festival. ♥♥♥♥♥♥ metalcore noise.

Sir Codin

Right now I'm listening to Orphaned Land, specifically Mabool.

Sounds great, I love it, they're an Israeli folk/death/doom/progressive metal band:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Guess I'll join. The only thing I listen to that isn't metal is punk rock, which still has screams and stuff. lol

What's your favorite band and genre, and what got you into metal/rock in the first place?
    The first time I actually found myself liking music of any kind was when I heard Dragonforce on a CSS server, lol. I don't really listen to them anymore, although they're somewhat nostalgic. I can't help but think of them as "middle school metal" though. lol

My favorite band is Kamelot, which is a Symphonic/Power metal band. Symphonic metal is probably also my favorite genre... think Death Metal (sometimes with, sometimes without screams) combined with Opera trained singers and symphony orchestras.

New favorite that was just released:

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Show of hands, who's got Judas Priest's new album? It's called Redeemer of Souls and it's kind of a mix between Painkiller and Screaming For Vengeance based on what I've listened to so far.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
    Show of hands, who's got Judas Priest's new album? It's called Redeemer of Souls and it's kind of a mix between Painkiller and Screaming For Vengeance based on what I've listened to so far.

This opinion usually gets me flamed, but I never liked Judas Priest. I tried to get into them because all of my metal friends were singing their praises, but I just couldn't. Halford's voice just bores me.

ZoruaAndAbsol

Master of Illusions
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2022
    What rock/metal bands have you seen live, and who was your favorite? Who sucked the most?
    None, but I am going to see Skillet this year which I think is going to be awesome.

Back