• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Name Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
Years
  • Actually, ~Daisuke~, Azelf is for Azure + Elf. Azure is blue in Spanish, and Azelf is a blue Pokemon.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Mismagius may mean Magic too.

Skuntank is Skunk + Tank. -_-

Mesprit - Mesmerize(its a word, idk how to spell) + Spirit
    Uxie - ??? + Pixie

EDIT: I found Dusknoir - Dusk + Noir(french for Black)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Any one knows what the name Rekkuuza means? Something to do with sky I think.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    No, it doesn't have anything to do with quasars (there are no quasars where he lives, they're out in the space). Kuu is japanese for sky. The Pokemon lives in the sky, right? I would like to now what the rest of the name means. Maybe you're right about 'ray'.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • Actually just to clear something up...

Mesprit = Me (Because Mesprit is connected to the main character) + Sprite (Which is a fairy)

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2007
    Theories...

For Cleffa, its probably Clef + Fa (you know, if you take music, you know the 7 notes....Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do)

Meditite is meditate, only its spelled different to make it more interesting. XD

Medicham is meditate + champion.

Deoxys is deoxyribonucleic acid. with an S.

Hope these helps

erm.. also Clef as in double clef

and for gyarados

could come from gyakusatsu massacre/slaughter, and gyakkyō, hardship/adversity. Both words relate to the creature's violent nature and the hardship it experienced before evolving. The dos may just indicate that it's the second in its evolutionary line

i think dos means the same for all poke's tht have it at the end ariados..

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I think the name Yuxie, Emurit and Agnome has something to do with knowledge, emotion and will, as well as pixie, sprite and gnome.

Last edited:

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Kyogre � Kai (meaning God) + Orca (whale)

As far as I know, in Japanese Kai means sea... Orca is a whale though :)

Correct me if I am wrong about the Kai thing....

You see, I got it from Kingdom Hearts

Sora - Sky
    Riku - Land
    Kai - Sea

Those are actually what those three names mean... so you get where I am coming from :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Yes, Kai means 'sea'. I didn't know about that riku means land, but in KH, isn't it rikku? I could be wrong about that, hasn't played it in a while and it's mostly my friend who plays it now. Maybe Rikku is from FF.
    So Kaiorga is sea-orca.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Yes, Kai means 'sea'. I didn't know about that riku means land, but in KH, isn't it rikku? I could be wrong about that, hasn't played it in a while and it's mostly my friend who plays it now. Maybe Rikku is from FF.
    So Kaiorga is sea-orca.

Yeah, you spell it Riku in KH, so it is most likely Rikku in FF
    Ooops, I went offtopic... erm... oh yeah...

Thanks for the Pokemon name meaning thing anyway :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Do you know what Rekkuuza means? I know that kuu is sky, but that's all.

Forced

---------------
    Years
  • Gengar � in Japanese has to do with something you say after you play a prank on someone or Dopplegengar, a ghost that lurks in the shadows and copies people

I wish I was a Gengar.
    :)

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
  • I believe the Regi's names are simply from the Latin word 'regi', meaning king. Also Forry's name is from fortress and turret, as in gun turrets.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Do you know what Rekkuuza means? I know that kuu is sky, but that's all.
    I'm pretty sure "za" in "Rekkuza" has no meaning.

However, the "Retsu/Re"(烈) part of the name is a prefix for violent catastrophes, such as "Rekka"(烈火), which means "inferno" in Japanese.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2010
    It must be hella fun to make these names up. Some of them are too obvious, but the ones that are translations from other languages are really interesting!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back