• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Name Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2005
    wow

wow thats one extensive list, i used to know a few of those but not that many :P

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • Ariados ? arachnid + ???
    I think the dos part is the spanish word for two, like zapdos.

As for nidorino, I think it's Needle+Rhino, since it looks something like a rhino.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • nick-xx said:
    My friend is japanese he tell me that Gyarados mean in japanese Tsunami so !!!:rambo:
    Dude, I'm Japanese... and tsunami is tsunami in Japanese...

It's like the word, "Tycoon". It's an English word derived from Japanese.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 26, 2005
    polywhirl

Just you may wanna know that polywhirl's name and the spirel on there stomach is based on this thing called a whirly berl (i think) which was used for hypnosis and made your vision go funny, (also the reason in many cartoons when people are being hypnotised the eyes go all swirly)

Spencer

-_-
    Years
  • It must have been I pain in the neck to think of all of those. My brain would have shut off after Nidorina. :tired: :confused:

PS: There isn't a scyther on that list.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

To fill in the missing space, the dos for Ariados can refer to the two antennae sticking out of its abdomen, since dos is the Spanish word for ?two?.

Anorith is a tricky one, and you have to know about prehistoric animals to get the reference. Anorith actually based on a type of ancient invertebrate known as Anomalocaris. You can look at this picture to see the resemblance: http://nicholnl.wcp.muohio.edu/NaturalSystems/BurgessShale/Anomalocaris.jpg

♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦♠♣♥♦

Alpham-A-Epsilons

~*Bouysel is cool*~
    Years
  • Graveler -Gravel+Monster
    Haunter - Haunt + Monster
    Chansey - Chance + Lucky
    Azumarill - Azul (Spanish for Blue + rill + mar (Spanish for "sea")
    Wooper - Woop + Monster
    Larvitar – larva + monitar (Lizard)
    Tyranitar – pupa + monitar
    Tyranitar – tyrant + monitar
    Azurill – Azul (Spanish Blue) + rill

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • umm... Azumarill= Azur (spanish for blue, which in this case is refering to water) + marill (basic pokemon name)

thats all I know

Alpham-A-Epsilons

~*Bouysel is cool*~
    Years
  • Actually If your refering to water then its Agua and thats how it's spelled Aqua is just a derivation from ''Agua'' and there no such word ''Azur'' just to get things straight

Blue in Spanish is Azul
    Water in Spanish is Agua

Got it good I should know I'm Spanish :/

Shiny Meganium

Meganium trainer
    Years
  • This is from Wikipedia's article about Gyarados:

...Gyarados's name may be derived from a combination of 虐殺 gyakusatsu massacre/slaughter, and 逆境 gyakkyō, hardship/adversity. Both words relate to the creature's violent nature and the hardship it experienced before evolving. The dos (Spanish) may just indicate that it's the second in its evolutionary line...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back