• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum hack: Pokémon Altered Platinum - Sinnohan Forms, Increased Difficulty, and more!

Should I buff defenses to compensate for no EVs? (See post on page 4)

• Total voters

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
    Years
    Pokémon Altered Platinum - Sinnohan Forms, Increased Difficulty, and more!

Version r.1.0.4

A Pokémon Platinum Overhaul Hack

Modified from Pokémon Renegade Platinum by Drayano, with permission

Note: b1.2.1 and b1.2.0 contain a game-breaking bug where Fantina's script in the Contest Hall won't play properly, and progression is impossible. Please update as soon as possible!

The game crashes when the first Barry battle begins if you did not use a Revision 1 rom to patch. This is a known issue, and not possible to fix, as this hack was based on Revision 1 of Platinum.
    Also, since the game's code is different, I cannot guarantee that patches for Renegade Platinum will work correctly with Altered Platinum. If you use any additional patches, I may not be able to fix any issues you encounter.

Introduction

Pokémon Altered Platinum is a Platinum hack which makes radical changes to the way the game works, for the sake of fun and a fresh Sinnoh experience.

Meet 30 new Sinnohan forms(not rushed, just been working on this thing for WAY too long), each with a unique design, type, stats and more!

Play with old Pokémon that have been changed so extensively that it's like they're brand-new, and get used to an overall higher standard of power where almost everything should be usable.

The Ice type has undergone some extensive changes, with its Rock weakness removed and new resistances to Water, Ground, and Dragon.

Face an increased challenge, that isn't quite Kaizo levels, but it's definitely tougher than base Renegade Platinum. With the removal of effort values, you're limited to roughly the same level of power as the NPC trainers(who also can't use EVs), and you don't have to EV grind for hours!

Gym Leaders are no longer limited to types! Instead, their teams are centered around a particular gimmick, such as Roark's Stealth Rock team.

Play around with some new moves with (sorta)custom animations, such as the low-power physical Fairy move Roughhouse, or the 100% accurate, 90 power, no effects physical Flying move Meteor Dive! Some are even signature moves, such as Skarmory's Steel Feathers or (SPOILER)'s Cosmic Void.

Find newly recolored shiny Pokémon, like an autumn-colored Leafeon, or cherry blossom Torterra, with Renegade's 1/512 shiny rate included!

Some NPC dialogue that didn't give lore or story has been replaced(not all of it yet). This includes new jokes and references, but also some extra lore for the new Sinnohan Forms, to help them truly feel at home in this brand-new Sinnoh! Each new form even includes new Pokédex entries!

On top of all of this, there's even a familiar face as a new postgame boss trainer, whom is equivalent to Renegade Platinum's Steven Stone battle. Check the Screenshots spoiler for more info!

Note: This is my first ever romhack, so if it's a little rough in places, that's why. Still, I've been iterating for quite a while, and I think it's a lot of fun! I hope you enjoy!

Screenshots(Spoiler warning!)
    Spoiler:

Preview of all Sinnohan Forms (Spoiler warning!)
    Spoiler:

Preview of all shiny Sinnohan Forms (Spoiler warning!)
    Spoiler:

Preview of all recolored shinies (Spoiler warning!)
    Spoiler:

Download (Documentation included!)

Contains all current and previous versions.
    Note: This hack requires that your vanilla Platinum rom is Revision 1. It will not work correctly with the older version.

This hack is also based on an older version of Renegade Platinum without the Steven fight, though a different- but equivalent- fight has been added.

The custom sprites(packaged in a .zip separately from the releases) in this Google Drive are also free to use, but credit would be appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ooydJKGFE3AajHm1w8sCUx0Z8J2vo95q?usp=sharing

Changelog (Unmarked Spoilers!)
    Spoiler:

Tools Used

JackHack Tools: Like Drayano, I used a bunch of tools from his site, such as the DPP Attack Editor, DS Pokemon Editor, PokePicDS, and so on.

WPEDS: Used D-Trogh's Wild Pokemon Editor DS for most of my encounter edits.

PPRE: Mostly just used it for the trainer editor, everything else is kinda unstable...

HxD: A capable hex editor, which allowed me to do things like change sprite animations and offsets, and replace TMs

DSPRE Reloaded: Using this now for trainer, text and script editing in place of PPRE.

BTX Editor 2.0: Used it for replacing overworlds. Made the whole process far easier.

Credits

Drayano, for the original romhack and plenty of personal guidance. Without him, this wouldn't have been possible.

TheOnlineNinja759, a friend of mine, for the cute Sinnohan Raichu art at the top- and for helping me with the design of Sinnohan Dunsparce!

Jay-San, for a variety of helpful tutorials

JackHack96, for many of his tools

D-Trogh, for WPEDS

Alpha, SCV, for PPRE
    AdAstra-LD for DSPRE Reloaded, and Mixone-FinallyHere for the original DSPRE.
    KazoWar, for BTX Editor 2.0

Many people I'm probably forgetting because I've been working on this thing off and on for way too long...

Last edited:

Lithobraker

Years
    Probably not, though it may be worth trying. I can't promise the hack will be stable even if it does run, though, and I may not be able to fix any bugs you encounter.

Lithobraker

Years
    In case it doesn't work, would you mind making a separate speed up patch for this hack?

Probably not for a while, I don't even know how the speedup patch works, so I would have to ask Dray about that.
    You can still use AR codes to get the instant text and faster bars, though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    This looks amazing! Will definitely give it a try.

I just have a question about EVs - do you think it'd be possible for a version of this in the future where EV gain is uncapped completely - i.e. you can max out every stat like Gen 2 (assuming opposing trainers can max out their EVs as well)? So you wouldn't have to worry about EV training a specific stat, but at the same time it'd make your trained Pokemon stronger than random wild Pokemon.

Lithobraker

Years
    This looks amazing! Will definitely give it a try.

I just have a question about EVs - do you think it'd be possible for a version of this in the future where EV gain is uncapped completely - i.e. you can max out every stat like Gen 2 (assuming opposing trainers can max out their EVs as well)? So you wouldn't have to worry about EV training a specific stat, but at the same time it'd make your trained Pokemon stronger than random wild Pokemon.

Probably not. I don't know of any way to actually do that, but even if I did, it would just give players an unfair advantage over NPCs, and it'd still result in FOMO(fear of missing out).
    It isn't just that NPC trainers don't use EVs- in Generation 4, you literally cannot give them EVs. They can have them in the Battle Frontier, apparently, but that's a different type of trainer that, as far as I know, cannot be edited at all.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I tested this ROM hack with the Speed up patch, and so far, I haven't encountered any problems. I remember another Renegade Platinum mod named True Renegade, in which using the Speed up patch would crash when starting battles. Fortunately, this isn't the case with this hack.

Lithobraker

Years
    Released a bugfix update, b1.1.9, which corrects a few oversights where Sinnohan Pokemon such as Dragonair and Roselia didn't have their correct evolution methods/levels.

Lithobraker

Years
    Updated to b1.2.0, which adds a new postgame boss fight, equivalent to Renegade Platinum's Steven Stone battle- a double battle with Miror B.!

Let the music play!

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2022
    Hey, do you plan to implement natural level caps? I personally can't stand having to track them via w/e website and don't want to overlevel your intended difficulty. So hard enforced level caps per gym badge/big fights would be a huuuuge QOL option.

Lithobraker

Years
    Hey, do you plan to implement natural level caps? I personally can't stand having to track them via w/e website and don't want to overlevel your intended difficulty. So hard enforced level caps per gym badge/big fights would be a huuuuge QOL option.

No, I don't know if that's even possible in Gen 4 yet. If it is, I'm not sure I'd want to do it either- it'd have to be an optional feature, but that would either require some serious programming for an ingame option or a separate patch.
    You can, however, reference TrainerPokemon.txt to see the levels of each boss trainer.
    The level curve in base Renegade Platinum is intact though, so it should be mostly the same. As long as you don't grind on purpose, and spread your levels out evenly among your party, you should be fine.

Lithobraker

Years
    Released a minor update, b1.2.1, which tweaks a few colors for the replaced shinies and changes Toxicroak's secondary ability from Anticipation to Instinct(a renamed version of Download).

Lithobraker

Years
    Released b1.2.2, an important update which fixes a game-breaking bug in the Contest Hall where Fantina's script doesn't play properly, preventing you from progressing!

Lithobraker

Years
    Updated to b1.2.3, which nerfs the Galactic Grunt in front of the Galactic Eterna Building, and increases the starting happiness of a few happiness evolutions.

Lithobraker

Years
    Another tiny update- b1.2.4 fixes an oversight where Ursaring doesn't have Ursaluna's stats, and its secondary ability isn't Determined, as it should be.

Back