• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New team, probably needs work.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    I'm just starting to get ready for competitive battling, so this team may need a bit of work...comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    Nature: Bashful
    -Stone Edge
    -Brick Break
    -Swords Dance
    -Waterfall

Tanker/Attacker. Poli has good defense and great attack after a swords dance, so he's able to survive for a while, provided he isn't up against a more able tank.

Shiftry @ Big Root
    Trait: Early Bird
    Nature: Modest
    -Dark Pulse
    -Nasty Plot
    -Giga Drain
    -Extrasensory

Special sweeper. Its modest nature coupled with the SA EVs I've trained it in make give it a Bulky SA rating, especially after a Nasty Plot or two. Shiftry has decent speed but poor defenses, which is why I chose Giga Drain over Energy Ball so it will give him a chance for recovery with the help of the Big Root.

Mismagius @ Wise Glasses
    Trait: Levitate
    Nature: Bold
    -Psychic
    -Calm Mind
    -Shadow Ball
    -Mean Look

Special Wall/Attacker. Mismagius has great Special Attack and Defense, and with Calm Mind and Mean Look it's great for trapping. The big issue is that it has no defense against dark types and it doesn't take physical hits well.

Electivire @ Choice Band
    Trait: Motor Drive
    Nature: Adamant
    -Thunderpunch
    -Ice punch
    -Cross Chop
    -Earthquake

The classic physical Electivire. It has a counter for nearly every type and with its great attack rating and speed it can stand up to almost any threat.

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Flame Body
    Nature: Modest
    -Flamethrower
    -Thunderbolt
    -Sunny Day
    -Solarbeam

I know it's a bit cliche to have both Electivire and Magmortar, but they both appealed to me so much that I couldn't resist. (Plus I got them for free from the PBR codes :P) Anyway, this was the best moveset I could come up with for Magmortar. Solarbeam is there to counter ground and rock-types while Thunderbolt protects against Water-types. Sunny Day is there obviously for Solarbeam and gives a nice boost to Flamethrower.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Veil
    Nature: Timid
    -Earthquake
    -Aerial Ace
    -Roost
    -Toxic

I saved my favorite team member for last. Gliscor is my annoyer. It has great attack, speed, and defense, so it's great for countering tanks and can also do a respectable job as a physical sweeper. Aerial Ace is there to serve as a solid physical move with STAB, as well as Earthquake, which also helps against steel-types that resist Toxic. Roost is a given, as Gliscor's HP is generally worn down pretty slowly, giving it an opportunity to keep recovering while Toxic eats away at the enemy's HP.

So there you have it. What do you all think?

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    ur team lacks a specail wall... 3 specail sweepers is a redudency alet drop at least one of them for a good specail wall might i suggest BlissY???

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    I figured someone would suggest Blissey, but I absolutely despise Blissey. I was considering Snorlax though, which might be a suitable replacement for Mismagius.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    Poliwrath can't learn stone edge. if it could, then mine would definitely have it. it also can't learn swords dance.

Choice Specs + Sunny Day is bad. if you didn't know already, choice items leaves you locked on one move until you switch out in exchange for a 50% boost in that stat. hence the "choice"...

J-Rad

Years
    hmm if u want snorelax u could go curselax or CBlax i kinda like CBlax for (ask APCW13 for the set he invented it) i would replace shiftry, it's speed is pretty low and is prabably goning to get KO'ed while u nasty plot... its actualy has a better pysical attack anyway...

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    Good to know before I saved up for the Choice Specs and TM for Stone Edge XD

My Poliwrath does know Swords Dance, I transferred him from FR and he had learned it from the Move Tutor.

I suppose I'll stick with Rock Slide and give Magmortar a different item...Wise glasses, maybe?

J-Rad

Years
    hmm wise glasses would work but i would go a different set since sunnybeaming is hard to pull of....if u insist on sunnybeaming a suca berry would help, since when magmotar comes out every1 would EQ it to death...

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    I'm not really heart-set on sunnybeaming, I just thought it would be useful considering the added bonus of a boost to Flamethrower.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Natures are terrible. No nuetral natures, and timid on a pokemon with physical attacks is just no. Impish for gliscor please.

ur team lacks a specail wall... 3 specail sweepers is a redudency alet drop at least one of them for a good specail wall might i suggest BlissY???

2 things:

1) "Redundancy alert" is my line.
    2) grammar alert ;/

hmm if u want snorelax u could go curselax or CBlax i kinda like CBlax for (ask APCW13 for the set he invented it) i would replace shiftry, it's speed is pretty low and is prabably goning to get KO'ed while u nasty plot... its actualy has a better pysical attack anyway...

Okay, seriously you need to get your facts straight. I DID NOT invent CB Snorlax for one, and shiftry is pretty fast. :/

And I'm pretty dang sure poli can't learn SD. I'd have to check...

EDIT: It can't, it is hacked or something :/

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2007
    Alrighty, I'm working on Snorlax right now and Poliwrath does not know Swords Dance. I just transferred him from my game and I thought he had it but instead he's got Bulk Up. My mistake >.<

So what is this Snorlax moveset you speak of?

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Natures are terrible. No nuetral natures, and timid on a pokemon with physical attacks is just no. Impish for gliscor please.

2 things:

2) grammar alert ;/

Okay, seriously you need to get your facts straight. I DID NOT invent CB Snorlax for one, and shiftry is pretty fast. :/

Lol'd. Anyways, Curselax is what he's speaking of.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EV's: 76 HP / 44 Atk / 136 Def / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam
    - Earthquake / Crunch / Pursuit / Fire Blast / Fire Punch
    - Curse
    - Rest / Selfdestruct. Set Comments:

The Immortal Set. Surprisingly, one may find that this set does not work quite as well as it did in previous generations, for a multitude of reasons. Earthquake is almost a necessity, lest Rhyperior and Tyranitar walk all over you; however, good luck taking on Gengar. Pursuit is a good move in general and can really put the hurt on Gengar, Alakazam, or Starmie.

350 special defense is needed for Snorlax to take one the high-powered special threats of DP; with this spread, a Choice Specs Salamence Draco Meteor does about 55%; a Nasty Plot Porygon-Z Tri Attack with Adaptibility could still do 73%. As a result, Body Slam is preferred over the other Normal choices—a timely paralysis may be Snorlax's only chance. Selfdestruct is useful, and perhaps preferred

J-Rad

Years

2 things:

2) grammar alert ;/

well shifty's speed is more prespective a base 80 is decent, but is easily outrun by most sweepers w/ a base 90-120 speed... and about CBlax, it was an honest mistake...

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    well shifty's speed is more prespective a base 80 is decent, but is easily outrun by most sweepers w/ a base 90-120 speed... and about CBlax, it was an honest mistake...

That's why there's the Sunnybeamer Set with Chlorophyll :/

Anti

return of the king
    Years

Maybe looking at shiftry's ability would be of benefit. and I've heard plenty of people call heracross fast and it has 85 base Speed. No need to be setting double-standards :/

And Itachi, the smogon comments posted are really annoying :/ Just post your own comments...I mean really.

Eos Aduro

The Kid with the Bullet Soul
    Years
    Yeah, thats just kind of sad, I thought you quit copying from Smogon? Also, your team needs EVs apparent.

Back