• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GT Theme

which three should we go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    Currently just a place to throw our ideas into the ring about what theme we decide to cover this year. Personally I'd like to potentially not try to stick to the current Pokémon "trend" like we have been doing, the idea of something akin to the Harry Potter style Houses we had a few years ago would be nice. Gives us a bit more freedom and flexibility too.

GP did bounce around the idea of the Olympics, however if we're looking at three teams for the GT then that might be a bit odd to work around, but definitely something I think we could get to work if we stick to the idea of events etc.

In terms of how the Teams could be set up (i.e. number of Teams etc) then make sure to go here to suggest that: Teams Discussion Thread

Will put a "master" list of sorts here in OP and update as they come in:

- Olympics
    - Pokémon Villains

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    One thought that came to mind was having the Villians in Pokemon as Teams. The other thing we could try is having 4-6 people as Leaders and make up their own teams. This is something we would do in PE2K WAAAAAYYY back in the day when we would hold our summer event called WAR. People would create their own team and then compete in the events that would take place.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    i honestly don't care about "theme" as distinct from what the teams are - for example, I'd be fine with the olympics as long as we got to come up with our own countries for it. what I definitely don't want is a theme that uses real factions from the Pokemon games, I think that has been done to death not just in past GTs, but in smaller events on our discord.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    All three teams based off FF14 starting locations (fwiw, they are The Maelstrom, The Order of the Twin Adder, and The Immortal Flames).
    No I'm not joking, if we can do a Harry Potter like theme then I think an FF14 based theme can work and will be fun too. Of course, we can add a spin to it and make them have different mascots and slogans. The groups can be called grand companies, shrugs.

And then a more simple idea is using the Fire, Water, Grass theme.

If we were doing 4 teams I would have suggested the elements.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    when rabi mentioned hp houses they just meant the common concept of having factions with pokemon mascots, not tying specifically into any kind of harry potter lore, because that wouldn't be interesting to non-fans of the franchise. i think calling that a "harry potter theme" is a bit of a stretch

Last edited:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    Okay, I'll clarify my point since I did not mean that at all.

I am aware the houses are original with and are a spin with a Pokémon twist as well as Latin names. What I meant to say was it was still inspired by Harry Potter but it have a twist to it which can attract Pokémon fans (the mascots being Arcanine, Espeon, Ampharos, and something else I'm forgetting) as well as had a personality quiz (iirc, HP has houses according to personality as well).

Also, I 100% agree with making our own theme inspired by other stuff with added Pokémon flavour. Hence why I think Pokémon inspired Grand Companies with our own lore in the similar vein as the Harry Potter inspired would be fun.

Years
    My vote is still on an Olympic-ish theme.

Create 3-4 teams with their own story/history to compete against each other in the pokeathalon. Score in medals.

Something like
    Gold = 40pt
    Silver = 20 pt
    Bronze = 10 pt
    Participation = 5 pt

It fits the year/timing, it's inclusive to all members, references a fun element of the games and allows us to create our own teams/world with ease. It covers everything while still being simple.

Years
    discussed this a bit on discord but whatever theme we come up with this year, we should reuse the year after. i think the fact that each GT we try to one up the last tbh consumes a lot of time in and of itself and the results don't always deliver.

not only would reusing GT concepts save up on invaluable planning time and dev time (that can be used on fine tuning or tweaking other areas of the event, instead), i think there's a fun factor in it that the losing teams have another chance to compete. it keeps up that familiar competitive spirit and it's easier for EOs to follow.

food for thought!

Years
    That was six years ago tbf.
    That's not recent.

It's not recent and I can't offer a better alternative, so that's fair enough :P

I still think we should try to come up with a wholly unique theme this year since we have so much extra time to plan, but Olympics could definitely work again.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Olympic-ish is fine, as long as the teams are more fleshed out. I'd rather see a story than just a competition. Maybe we can look at the 'teams' more like 'tribes' or 'families'? It would get a narrative rolling.

Years
    As a side note, I'd rather not recycle a theme every year. I can understand the pros but I feel like that would get stale.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    same, i feel like the core concept of house-based custom teams has potential for reuse but the teams themselves? ehhh

in any case i'd rather this thread not get bogged down with future year planning. that's for the post-GT wrap up talks! :p

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    if i'm honest, the whole teams thing is pretty stale at this point, at least for me anyway.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    That's sorta similar to what we did with the Tapu's, right? Not against the idea tho!

Back