• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

»» February Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
Years
  • Some children in America have really lost their diginity as American's. I mean what message or punishment can the American's send to children. Oh yeah start with what's leading more children and teenagers into this growing problem, gangs, punks, really stupid abusive parents.
    I..err..don't understand the point you're trying to make.

Princess said:
    And I'm sure you don't hate me. I only made fun of a little typo of yours. Look how bad you made me look in your signature with the typo I made. XD
    Yeah, true, but that quote is just awesome. Plus, it makes you look funny, so it isn't all bad. XD

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
  • I had to wear a uniform throughout my entire time in school. Can't imagine wearing a suit every day though. That's just...argh...

And Dawson, you can't smoke until you're 18 over here. XD

I thought 18 was just the legal age to buy cigarettes... I don't recall that being the legal age to actually smoke. Although, I suppose that's about the same thing...

As for driving, I have heard rumors about CT raising the driving age to 18... it's supposed to happen right about the time my sister turns 16, actually. I don't know if they're actually going to go through with it, but I kinda hope they do raise it...

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • The legal age doesn't stop them at all. They'll find ways to smoke, mostly lie about their age, I think.

If you think about it, drinking and smoking slowly ruin your body... yet cars don't until you crash them or run someone over. XD

Some states want it to be eighteen. I don't know if they are or not though.
    Yeah, but I always thought that the legal limit was so that people would be of a certain intelligence and maturity that they'd be able to make an informed decision about the dangers of such things before doing them.

Which is why it seems weird to me that they think teenagers are mature enough to drive a car, yet they can't handle the effects of cigarettes and alcohol. XD

Yami Rui said:
    I was just saying based on my opinion. Sorry if there's no point in your eyes.
    Nah, I meant it was kind of incomprehensible.

Years
  • I thought 18 was just the legal age to buy cigarettes... I don't recall that being the legal age to actually smoke. Although, I suppose that's about the same thing...

As for driving, I have heard rumors about CT raising the driving age to 18... it's supposed to happen right about the time my sister turns 16, actually. I don't know if they're actually going to go through with it, but I kinda hope they do raise it...

It is, yet it isn't. The age limit to buy would suggest they don't want them smoking or drinking, but my stepdad says the government can't stop him if he gives me alcohol.

Wow... it sounds like it would suck to be her. :/

Personally, I don't know if I'd want the rule to change... driving is almost needed in the US, since it's so big and not many cities have bus systems. But on the other hand, teenagers can be stupid at times, so I can't blame them at all for changing the rules if they do. :/

Yeah, but I always thought that the legal limit was so that people would be of a certain intelligence and maturity that they'd be able to make an informed decision about the dangers of such things before doing them.

Which is why it seems weird to me that they think teenagers are mature enough to drive a car, yet they can't handle the effects of cigarettes and alcohol. XD

Yeah... like I said above, teenagers can be stupid at times. But they can also be mature. I know not to smoke and I can drink alcohol and know what it can do to me. I could've done this at sixteen too. I could probably drive a car if I wanted to. I just never learned, I didn't want to think about driving a ton of metal around. XD

Besides, like I also said, the US is a big place. Driving is almost a necessity in some places. I know it was in Kansas. We lived in a decent-sized city and there was NO bus system at all. At the point where we lived, there was nothing good within walking distance, and not really within biking distance. I think most teenagers would rather drive than walk for minutes.

Dawson

The Rebirth Is Upon Us
    Years
  • Besides, like I also said, the US is a big place. Driving is almost a necessity in some places. I know it was in Kansas. We lived in a decent-sized city and there was NO bus system at all. At the point where we lived, there was nothing good within walking distance, and not really within biking distance. I think most teenagers would rather drive than walk for minutes.
    Yeah, it was like that in Florida when I went to visit. Plus, the roads were all huge and most of them were dead straight for miles. England, on the other hand, has much smaller, more difficult roads to drive. That's probably why I have the mentality about it that I do. I couldn't imagine driving on an English road when I was sixteen. And I was a mature sixteen year old.

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
  • It is, yet it isn't. The age limit to buy would suggest they don't want them smoking or drinking, but my stepdad says the government can't stop him if he gives me alcohol.

Wow... it sounds like it would suck to be her. :/

Personally, I don't know if I'd want the rule to change... driving is almost needed in the US, since it's so big and not many cities have bus systems. But on the other hand, teenagers can be stupid at times, so I can't blame them at all for changing the rules if they do. :/

Yeah, but you can get arrested if you're caught drinking underage... but can you get arrested for smoking underage? I don' think so. My first boss used to buy cigarettes for a coworker of mine all the time, and I don't think it's illegal to do so. Although it doesn't make much sense...

No, actually according to my sister, the change will be made for anyone born 1994 and later. She was born right at the end of '93, so if that's the case, she'd be able to get her permit at 16 whereas all her friends would have to wait. XD;

And true, CT doesn't have much of a public transportation system at all... but if they fixed that and made it more accessible, raising the driving age wouldn't hurt...

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Well, that's because smoking is illegal over here if you're under 16, so a lot of school kids that are smoking are probably underage. Whereas, in America and, probably, Canada, students leave high school at 18. So they have two years of being legally allowed to smoke whilst still at school. plus, they don't wear uniforms either.

Not really.. it's still illegal here ._. But it's more like.. it's illegal to buy them for a minor, not for a minor to smoke them~
    ._. So I think that if you buy smokes for someone under the age of 19, then you get fined like $5000 or something like that~

I'm 17 and I can drive by myself~ ._. I have a G2 permit.. and that means I'm basically allowed to drive anywhere~ I'm just not allowed to drink (as anyone else isn't) and I'm not allowed to have more than one other person (besides myself) under the age of 19 in the car from midnight to 5:00 AM~

But.. otherwise I'm free to go wherever I want X3;~ So it's pretty cool~

Years
  • Yeah, it was like that in Florida when I went to visit. Plus, the roads were all huge and most of them were dead straight for miles. England, on the other hand, has much smaller, more difficult roads to drive. That's probably why I have the mentality about it that I do. I couldn't imagine driving on an English road when I was sixteen. And I was a mature sixteen year old.

Indeed. The US is like that.
    I was like you -- I didn't think I could handle driving at sixteen. And that's on the easy roads too. XD

I've seen roads like that in Germany. I think most of Europe is right that, right? I remember my German teacher talking about it once, how the US has straight roads and how Germany has weird winding roads. Something about how people had been living in Europe for many years, and the current roads had been roads for years and years. On the other hand, the US really didn't get settled until the 1700s, where people were smart enough to make everything straight. (Don't ask me how the Native Americans didn't count.)

Yeah, but you can get arrested if you're caught drinking underage... but can you get arrested for smoking underage? I don' think so. My first boss used to buy cigarettes for a coworker of mine all the time, and I don't think it's illegal to do so. Although it doesn't make much sense...

Really? o_O Not in Wisconsin, I remember hearing about a law that involved minors drinking underage at a bar if the parents were there and consented to it. The person who was in trouble had a friend who lied about being related to this girl. I can't remember the exact thing, but it was something like that.

Well, unless the laws have changed, or I had misheard.

Ashley said:
    No, actually according to my sister, the change will be made for anyone born 1994 and later. She was born right at the end of '93, so if that's the case, she'd be able to get her permit at 16 whereas all her friends would have to wait. XD;

Wow, I guess she lucks out then. XD

Ashley said:
    And true, CT doesn't have much of a public transportation system at all... but if they fixed that and made it more accessible, raising the driving age wouldn't hurt...

I agree. If there's public transportation everywhere, then raising the driving age would not be that much of a problem. Hell, it'd probably be better for everyone, not just teens. I imagine a bus pass is a lot cheaper than gas/fuel, insurance, and car payments.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Sometimes I think Georgia is far too lax on their driving laws. To get your permit you got to answer 40 questions and that's it. Once you pass you get your permit and you can drive anywhere as long as someone over 21 (with a license) is in the front seat with you. You don't have to take Drivers Ed (well, I think they are changing that soon), and all that stuff.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    I can get my license next month, but I haven't even begun behind the wheel yet, so I doubt that'll happen. =(

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Sometimes I think Georgia is far too lax on their driving laws. To get your permit you got to answer 40 questions and that's it. Once you pass you get your permit and you can drive anywhere as long as someone over 21 (with a license) is in the front seat with you. You don't have to take Drivers Ed (well, I think they are changing that soon), and all that stuff.
    Yeah, it's basically the same here in Australia, so I don't really see anything wrong with the laws over there.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Sometimes I think Georgia is far too lax on their driving laws. To get your permit you got to answer 40 questions and that's it. Once you pass you get your permit and you can drive anywhere as long as someone over 21 (with a license) is in the front seat with you. You don't have to take Drivers Ed (well, I think they are changing that soon), and all that stuff.

That's like us, too~ We have to take two quizzes and just get at least 16/20 on both ._. And when you pass you get the permit and can basically drive anywhere as long as someone who's had their lisence for four years (at least) sits in the front with you~~

I just took Drivers Ed because it lowers your insurance by A LOT @@;~

But yeah.. otherwise it's basically the same~~

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I can get my friver's lisence this August, but I'm not interested in driving, yet. I probably should, but oh well, I can't really be bothered. I'd rather run/walk to get to wherever I need to, probably because i live in a fairly small town, and the fact that the University I WANT (but probably won't end up going) to doesn't allow students or staff members to drive their cars on the camp grounds, thats how athletically (sp?) focused they are. I'm not quite sure if they still have that rule, but either way, if my life goes as how it plans out (which has a 90% chance of NOT working out) then i won't even need to drive a car, EVER. =D

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Driving looks... Boring O_o I'm not totally excited about it. But I still have 4 more years to go (legal driving age here in Thailand is 18). So, I guess I can wait a while before thinking about driving...

Years
  • Driving is boring if you're taking long trips. We've done it plenty of times when we lived in the US. When we wanted to go to Wisconsin, we had a 12-14 hour drive each way, depending on who was driving, how fast they went, and the traffic. It gets really really boring after awhile, especially if you know the route.
    Of course, that was with me in the passenger's seat. I'd hate to be the one actually driving. It's probably even worse, especially since you're doing all of the work. o.o
    Meh, once I'm back in the States and I have a license, that will probably be me. Well, unless I live in Wisconsin, but I don't know where I'll be yet.

As for short driving? Nah, not really. If it's under an hour, I rather enjoy it. It's nice to get out of the house and look around. It's just those drives over two hours that get me. x_x;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    One of my friends can get her drivers license in two months, she's two years older than me. But I don't want to drive, I might make mistakes, though all of my family makes it look simple.

But riding a bike wouldn't contribute to any dangerous things, So I'll stick to the bike.

I hate trips in the car, even when it's short, it wastes too much of my time. Expecially if I don't like the destination.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Rainbow's aren't happy, they make a sad face. I havent seen a rainbow for ages anyway..oh I remember when, bad day...The sea is happier than anything, it has grumpy old men on it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back