• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Bases

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
I have yet to find anything of this sort after searching, therefore I have fabricated this very thread.

What are Pokemon based on? I thought would be fascinating colloquy, aside from just their name derivations - basically their resemblence to such things in real life. The animals and objects from which they were devised.

I have composed my own basic suppositions, I do not state them as fact. They are all arguable, which is the purpose of this discussion.

Here are some selects that I have devised:

I conjecture Magikarp to be a koi fish. It's Japanese name is Koikingu (コイオング). コイ is carp - a freshwater fish - and koi are () are ornamental, domesticated varieties of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio. Kois are colorful, vivacious fish that subsist in ponds. Magikarp is energetic, and highly favors a carp.

This is a picture of a carps and some pictures of kois.

There is also the Chinese legend of a carp turning into a sea dragon.

Entei, I surmise to be a lion, or a Shishi, or Foo Dog, as it does share characteristics of both the neko and inu. Shishi are said to be protectors that stand outside the Japansese Shinto shrines and Buddhist temples.

Here are pictures: 1 2 3 4

Celebi is a fairy/pixie, a forest spirit. The name Celebi is probably portmaneau of the words "celestial" and "being". The last portion of it's name (セレビィ) is "be". The first part (セレ) only translates to Ceret ( which is French) and Serrai (which is Greek).

Magmar reminds me of some sort of prehistoric dinosaur and bird hybrid. It resembles a theropod; it could be based off of the Archaeoraptor - minus the wings - or the Hadrosaur, or a combination of both. I have my doubts, but its the only supposition that I could surmise. Magmar dwells in Magma (hence magmar) and r comes from the suffix -er which means "one who". Perhaps if natural selection were involved it could have evolved based on its habitat (volcanic areas) which could explain its rough appearance.

Hitmonlee is probably based off of the Blemmyaes, a mythological race of creatures that were said to have lived in Africa, Nubia, Kush, or Ethiopia. They were believed to be acephalous (headless) creatures who had eyes and mouths on their chests. Though, Hitmonlee doesn't reveal its mouth or nose which could be due to the fact that it is refered to as the Kicking Fiend - fiends are monesters, from folkore mythology, or evil spirits - which explains its villainess appearance.

Raikou is a tiger or a sabretoothed tiger; it resembles a feline the most out of the three legendary beasts. By legend, Raikou was reincarnated by Ho-oh from the spirits of three Pokémon which died in the fire in the Tower in Ecruteak City (now called the Burnt Tower). Raikou's previous state must have been different from his current "superior" look - I believe it to have looked like a Smilodon.

Scizor and Scyther are both praying mantis or mantid. There's no question and doubt about that.

Onix is a rock snake, or wurm. I surmise that it's name, Onix, is maybe an Derivational morpheme or neologism, of the word Onyx. Onyx is a crystalline rock as most of us know.

Spearow is most likely a sparrow - either a Dunnock, House Sparrow, or Spanish Sparrow. Spearow is a portmaneau of "spear" and "sparrow". (It has a sharp beak)

Lastly, Lugia, I believe to based off of Ryūjin. Ryujin was the god of the sea in Japanese mythology; a dragon,which symbolized of the power of the ocean. Ryujin lived in his palace under the sea, and from where he controlled the tides with magical tide jewels - the orbs Ash collected perhaps. Lugia could also be based off of Harukan, the Maya god of storms and winds. Harukan is the origin of the word hurricane, and one of the creator deities. He brings the anger of the gods upon humanity by bringing about the Flood. This could explain Lugia's relationship and superiority over Moltres, Articuno, and Zapdos. The Latin word lugeo means to lie dormant.

My Additions:
Goldeen is just a simple Japanese goldfish - the Tosakin.

Same with Seaking, it's a Calico Ryukin Goldfish. My aunt had a fish similar to this one.

For Articuno, I believe that it would be more along the lines of being related to the Queztal. Aside from just it's name meaning, I believe the two to be quite similar.

Ho-oh is the Chinese Pheonix, Fuenghuang.

We all can safely say that Blaziken is a chicken - final evolution of Torchic. I conjecture that it'd be best to surmise that it did not come from Wargreymon - the two bear no similarities. However, to be specific in species I'd say the either the Ardenner bantam, the Belgium Bantam, or the Wheaten OEG Rooster - also another Bantam.

For Lugia, that's just one theory, and as for looks, I'm no speaking of exact in likeness. Ryujin doesn't have to look exactly like it, but both hold drastically close similarities in relation to legend and characteristics. It could also be related to the mythical bird Halycon, Harukan/Huracan, the Mayan god of storms and one of the creator gods, or the Gray Heron.

Taillow and Swellow are swallows: Preferbly the Barn Swallow and Welcome Swallow.

Linoone is some sort of polecat, as Cowrie stated. A better picture would be this one of the Zorille - also called the zorilla or zoril.

Cubone and Marowak are most likely based off of the Mexican Prairie Dog or Black-tailed Prarie Dog.

Rattata is probably the Japanese rat or Black Rat - Rattata is purple, but we know that its a rat.

Raticate is based off of the Copyu/Nutria.

Dratini and Dragonair could come from sea serpents or Draco the constellation. Draco the dragon has been depicted as a long serpent with wing-like ears.

Charizard is based off of the European Dragon, of the Draconus family. Here's a basic picture.

Rayquaza is based off of the Eastern Dragon, also called the Chinese Dragon. It could also be related to the Leviathan.

Duskull is a minature Grim Reaper.

Torkoal is the Geochelone carbonaria (Cherry Head Red-Foot Tortoise). Here are some pictures: 1 2 3 4

Yanma is based off of the Red Dragonfly.

Meowth might be a Ragdoll or it could be based off of Maneki Neko, or "Beckoning Cat", a common Japanese sculpture that is said to bring goodluck to the owner.

Sandshrew is a Chinese Pangolin or the Indian Pangolin. It bears much more of a resemblance to a Pangolin than a shrew.

Espeon appears to be based off of Nekomata. With fox-like characteristics.

Umbreon could be a Black Fox or Black Cat.

Flareon could be a Japanese Red Fox, perhaps. Here's another picture.

Vaporeon could just be the mermaid-like rendition of the Bat-eared fox.

Eevee could be a Fennec Fox.

Pinsir is based off of the Male Stag Beetle - the Elephant Stag Beetle or the Common Stag Beetle.

Krabby is a simple Red Crab.

Kingler is a Sand Fiddler Crab (Male Uca Pugilator).

Totodile, Cronocraw, or Feraligator are your basic American Alligators and Mugger Crocodiles.

Zubat, Zubat, and Golbat is are generic bats, specifically renditions of the Vespertilionidae and the Egyptian Fruit Bat.

Diglett is your average Mole. Dutrio is only a trio of moles.

Mareep resembles a Domesticated Sheep - perhaps a Blackhead Persian (these have had their wool cut, so that's why they appear furless).

Suicune is definitely some type of wolf/dog. I surmise that it is the Dire Wolf. This could be what its previous form was, before its reincarnation. If not that, then it was a Mackenzie Valley Wolf - which is also a grey wolf.

Relicanth is based off of the Coelacanth.

Nosepass is based off of the Easter Island Moai. Here's another picture.

Nincada is based off of the Cicada Nymph.

Shedinja is the actual shed skin of a cicada when it goes from nymph to adult.

Ninjask would be the Cicada or Magicicada.

Anorith is based off of the Anomalocris.

Armaldo is based off of the Anomalocarids - however Armaldo is a bipedal rendition.

Lunatone is moon rock. Its crescent form does remind me of the Man in the Moon.

Solrock is a rock that resembles the sun - its in contrast to Lunatone.

Claydol is based off of Shakoukidoguu, the "spaceman" clay figurine from about AD 500.

Vileplume is based off of the Rafflesia plant. Here are more pictures, 1 and 2.

Oddish would be a Radish.

Remoraid could be based off of Remora.

Lanturn is based off of the Angler Fish.

Spinarak is based off of the Happy Face Spider.

Kabuto could be a Trilobite. Here's a surmised picture of the fossil's living state.

Sceptile is based off of the Green Basilisk.

Squirtle is your average Diamondback terrapin. Here are more pictures, 1 2 and 3.

Charmander is a Red Spotted Salamander. It's fire abilities can be found in mythological salamanders.

Cacturne is a combination of a Saguaro Cactus and a Scarecrow.

Beedrill is based off of the Asian Giant Hornet.

Girafarig, I'm sure that most of you are thinking "Giraffe!" Well, you're slightly right. Girafarig is a combination of a Giraffe and the Okapi.

Victreebel is probably based off of the Nepenthes. For more information and pictures you may click here. The same could also be said for Bellsprout and Weepinbell.

Supreme Edgeboy Max
Um, the Kois, they're more Goldeen ~ Seaking like than carps. Now we all know Pokemon are based on a lot of things, and a lot of these are mythological creatures and all that. And Magikarp and Feebas, both turn into mystical dragon creatures later on. So your Chinese myth relation might be its origin ..

Entei is a lion. If you had watched Pokemon Zero 3, you'd have seen some of those pictures in which Entei had been depicted as a star-lion, a serpent-lion and in a kind of statue of some sort. However, none of them relate to the fact that Unown were related to Entei somehow ~ and well, we all know that the Unown are like Egyptian hyrogliphics.

Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Hitmontop are supposed to be fighters that're probably from the same origin as humans in the Pokemon world. Lets say, if speaking scientifically, in our world, we're far evolved forms of monkeys and apes. So in the Pokemon world, the humanshape Pokemon all come from ancient ape Pokemon? That includes the humans? But this puts humans as a Pokemon that has no attack power, only heavy intelligence. o O; Weird. The image you showed, it resembles a Hitmonlee way too much. :3 Thing is, the faces of Hitmonlee only look like small nijas, nothing more of a villain.

Raikou relates to Driger, the White Tiger Beast of Beyblade. They're both sabertooth tigers, yes. But you forget that Entei and Suicune perished too, but the thing is .. they weren't re-incarnated or anything. The Three Legendary Beasts were supposed to have perished in the fire of Tin Tower. A few hundred years later, when its called the Burnt Tower, Eusine and the group find the Beasts ASLEEP - but only Gold/Silver sees them because they're not really supposed to be seen when they sleep. They awake, and they flee. That doesn't really tell us that if they were or were not re-incarnated, but I believe that they hadn't died at all.

Spearow = Sparrow, but a very vicious one.

Lugia's Japanese name is Ruugia. That way it relates to your Ryujin beast.

Caterpie is a caterpillar.o O;

Ekans reverses to snake.
Arbok reverses to kobra, but its obvious that it means cobra.

Articuno - Arctic Uno.

Arcanine - some sort of a tiger maybe? Its reddish/orange color with black stripes remind me of the Royal Bengal Tiger that has black stripes on yellow/goldenish colors.

Toothache
Stantler is obviously based on some sort of stag deer or moose, with the name obviously being a slight alteration of antler.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan's names come from two well-known martial artists, Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

Zapdos - seems to come from the Aztec Quetzacoatl, something of an electrified bird. The name comes from the 'zap' of electricity, and dos meaning two out of the 3 legendary birds.

Moltres - obvious influence seems to be the Phoenix, a fire bird that circles the sun for 500 years, before returning to earth to die, and a new Phoenix is reborn from the ashes of the old one. Name comes from the idea of molten, which is a description of liquid rock or magma, and tres being the 3rd of the legendary birds.

Tauros - Tauros is the second sign of the Zodiac, the bull, and also the name of a Pokemon that looks like a bull.

Cowrie
Skarmory: I'm not sure of what I think the exact base is, but I do feel like it's at least inspired by the Greek legend of the Stymphalian birds - ibis-like birds with metallic feathers and/or beaks, claws, and wings made of brass. Skarmory's got the metallic feathers, and the shiny form does look a bit like it's made of brass, in my opinion.

Linoone: Zorilla, or striped polecat. It's the markings, plus their long claws (which don't seem to be too visible in that picture) that automatically brought Linoone to my mind once.

Pidgey: While its name might be derived from "pigeon", I honestly feel Pidgey is more of a sparrow than anything. As of right now, I think Song Sparrow when I think of Pidgey, mostly because of the markings above the eyes (which remind me a lot of Pidgey's headcrest, just without any long feathers).

Drowzee - based off the tapir, more specifically the Asian Tapir. Also based off the legend of the Baku, creatures sometimes described as being tapir-like that are said to eat evil spirits that may bring nightmares to humans.

I agree somewhat about about the Sandshrew (since Sandslash is most definitely a pangolin!), though I believe it's based off armadillos as well. The Pichiciego, or Pink Fairy Armadillo (what a name to give an animal) is one of the closest matches in looks, in my opinion; however, Sandshrew being able to roll up into a ball is more like the Three-banded Armadillo (Southern Three-banded Armadillo, just for reference), as that is the only armadillo species able to actually roll up like that.

Omanyte/Omastar - Ammonite.

Cyndaquil - Echidna (Long-beaked echidna). I think it's just generally based off all the echidna species, as I can't decide which species it resembles the most.

Quilava - I think of it as some sort of weasel-like creature, to be honest. Maybe a Least Weasel, except without a tail. However, due to the fiery "quills" and Quilava's supposed habit of turning its back on the enemy to show off its flames, I also see elements of the Crested Porcupine (one species shown here). As far as I know, Crested Porcupines will turn their backs on their enemies as well, in order to attack with the quills there.

Mightyena - Brown Hyena, except that it's gray instead of brown (most likely just due to it being a dark type...and the shinies are brown, heh).

Zigzagoon - Tanuki, or Raccoon Dog. This is going mostly by its Japanese classification of "mamedanuki" ("healthy tanuki" or "loyal tanuki").

Here is some name information by 003
-Many of the Japanese names are even similar to their mythical counterparts. I beleive Hagganeru (sp?) the Japanese naming of Steelix translates into metal snake or something like that.
-When the american names were thought up they simply combined two similar traits or animals. Ala Charizard is Char - charcoal, something to burn with etc. and Lizard. And someone already mentioned the legendary birds, Artic Uno, Zap Dos, and Mol Tres.

_One_Winged_Angel_
Blaziken
Kinda like if the Digimon Garudamon and Agunimon had a baby, they would have a Digimon version of Blaziken.

Entei Fan
Mewtwo - could be based on Freeza they are both evil lords and has the same looks , maybe Mr. Satoshi used Mr. Akira Desing??

Bulbasaur - A Mutanted Green Frog with a flower bulb on its back

Lapras - A Plesiosuarus easy and simple

Aerodactyl - Pterodactyl since its name pun and looks

Well, those are a few of my theorizations. I'll wait and hear your pespectives.

Psycho

Last edited:

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
Years
O o Wow, you spent a lot of time on this ... nice. =D

Um, the Kois, they're more Goldeen ~ Seaking like than carps. Now we all know Pokemon are based on a lot of things, and a lot of these are mythological creatures and all that. And Magikarp and Feebas, both turn into mystical dragon creatures later on. So your Chinese myth relation might be its origin ..

Entei is a lion. If you had watched Pokemon Zero 3, you'd have seen some of those pictures in which Entei had been depicted as a star-lion, a serpent-lion and in a kind of statue of some sort. However, none of them relate to the fact that Unown were related to Entei somehow ~ and well, we all know that the Unown are like Egyptian hyrogliphics.

Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Hitmontop are supposed to be fighters that're probably from the same origin as humans in the Pokemon world. Lets say, if speaking scientifically, in our world, we're far evolved forms of monkeys and apes. So in the Pokemon world, the humanshape Pokemon all come from ancient ape Pokemon? That includes the humans? But this puts humans as a Pokemon that has no attack power, only heavy intelligence. o O; Weird. The image you showed, it resembles a Hitmonlee way too much. :3 Thing is, the faces of Hitmonlee only look like small nijas, nothing more of a villain.

Raikou relates to Driger, the White Tiger Beast of Beyblade. They're both sabertooth tigers, yes. But you forget that Entei and Suicune perished too, but the thing is .. they weren't re-incarnated or anything. The Three Legendary Beasts were supposed to have perished in the fire of Tin Tower. A few hundred years later, when its called the Burnt Tower, Eusine and the group find the Beasts ASLEEP - but only Gold/Silver sees them because they're not really supposed to be seen when they sleep. They awake, and they flee. That doesn't really tell us that if they were or were not re-incarnated, but I believe that they hadn't died at all.

Nothing to say about Scizor and Scyther.

Remember the Crystal Onix from the Johto seasons? Onixes become harder than diamonds as they grow - this just proves your theory for Onyx relating to Onix right. =D

Spearow = Sparrow, but a very vicious one. End discussion. :3

Lugia's Japanese name is Ruugia. That way it relates to your Ryujin beast. And well, the three orbs .. > > Not much to say but yeah. That thing might relate to Lugia as an origin.

~~

Caterpie is a caterpillar. o O; Obvious, ain't it?

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Let's see if I can help a little here.

Stantler is obviously based on some sort of stag deer or moose, with the name obviously being a slight alteration of antler.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan's names come from two well-known martial artists, Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan.

Years
I'll just add a few of my own pokemon ideas to this list right now...

Skarmory: I'm not sure of what I think the exact base is, but I do feel like it's at least inspired by the Greek legend of the Stymphalian birds - ibis-like birds with metallic feathers and/or beaks, claws, and wings made of brass. Skarmory's got the metallic feathers, and the shiny form does look a bit like it's made of brass, in my opinion.

Linoone: Zorilla, or striped polecat. It's the markings, plus their long claws (which don't seem to be too visible in that picture) that automatically brought Linoone to my mind once.

Pidgey: While its name might be derived from "pigeon", I honestly feel Pidgey is more of a sparrow than anything. As of right now, I think Song Sparrow when I think of Pidgey, mostly because of the markings above the eyes (which remind me a lot of Pidgey's headcrest, just without any long feathers).

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
Zapdos - seems to come from the Aztec Quetzacoatl, something of an electrified bird. The name comes from the 'zap' of electricity, and dos meaning two out of the 3 legendary birds.

Moltres - obvious influence seems to be the Phoenix, a fire bird that circles the sun for 500 years, before returning to earth to die, and a new Phoenix is reborn from the ashes of the old one. Name comes from the idea of molten, which is a description of liquid rock or magma, and tres being the 3rd of the legendary birds.

Dunno about Articuno though.

Tauros - Tauros is the second sign of the Zodiac, the bull, and also the name of a Pokemon that looks like a bull.

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
Years
Ekans reverses to snake.
Arbok reverses to kobra, but its obvious that it means cobra.

We know where those to came from. :3

Articuno - Arctic Uno. Makes any sense? =P

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
Carps and kois are the same thing. Kois are carps. The common carp is the Koi (Cyprinus carpio).

As for hitmonlee, ninjas are villains; they were fuedal Japan's assassins and spies, they're pretty much fiends; Hitmonlee is called the Kicking Fiend. That would explain why it looks as a Blemmyae, but doesn't show full-feature. Its the design, the creators had to make Hitmonlee look appealing in some way. Though, I do agree with toothache on the hitmonchan and hitmonlees names, but I don't see the connection of origin of species and dynamism. :P

Goldeen is just a simple Japanese goldfish - the Tosakin.

Same with Seaking, it's a Calico Ryukin Goldfish. My aunt had a fish similar to this one.

For Articuno, I believe that it would be more along the lines of being related to the Queztal. Aside from just it's name meaning, I believe the two to be quite similar.

Ho-oh is the Chinese Pheonix, Fuenghuang.

Raikou and Drigger are similar, but that doesn't have much to do with where the creators came up with the idea of Raikou. Beyblade and Pokemon are two different animes, not related. As for the tower's legend:
Long ago in Ecruteak, there were two towers, the Brass Tower and Tin Tower. Lugia and Ho-Oh resided there for a long time. When the Brass Tower burned down, both fled, never to be seen again. Three Pokémon became trapped in the flames of the Brass Tower and perished. Ho-Oh returned to the tower, resurrected the three Pokémon (who were renamed Raikou, Entei, and Suicune), and put them to guarding the ruins of the Burned Tower.

Ho-Oh's relationship with the three legendary beasts parallels the relationship Lugia has with the legendary birds.
I didn't forget Entei and Suicune, I just didn't include them because it wasn't of any real importance (and I have yet to do Suicune), but if you are wondering, yes, the same thing does apply. Ho-oh did, in fact, re-incarnate them; it had to do so, otherwise the three Legendary Beasts wouldn't have perished in something as simple as a fire (especially Entei). Ho-oh granted them that legendary power.

As for Entei and Lugia, we're going beyond the anime and just names, to see where they come from via real life, in other words, what did the creators have in mind.
I already said that I wouldn't state any of these as fact, which is why I present my theories from a suppositional standpoint. I'm going to add all of your conjectures to my first post.

Psycho

Last edited:

falling up+
Years
Wow lol you really DID spend a lot of time on this. Bored?

I think you are right in basing many pokemon's origins from oriental myths and folk tales at least talking about where they came from. Many of the Japanese names are even similar to their mythical counterparts. I beleive Hagganeru (sp?) the Japanese naming of Steelix translates into metal snake or something like that.

When the american names were thought up they simply combined two similar traits or animals. Ala Charizard is Char - charcoal, something to burn with etc. and Lizard. And someone already mentioned the legendary birds, Artic Uno, Zap Dos, and Mol Tres

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
003 said:
Wow lol you really DID spend a lot of time on this. Bored?
Pretty much. :P

I have one for Pikachu, I just took the one I had in Pokemon Name Origins:
Veritably the word chuu - because ピカチュウ actually translates to "Pikachuu" - is the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes. Pika may come from "Pikapika" which is the Japanese onomatopoeia for sparkling. The Pika (pi·ka long i) are small, furry, tailless mammals, of the genus Ochotona, located within the mountains of North America and Eurasia. As you can see here, they belong to the order of lagomorphs - which includes rabbits and hares.
Pikachu is most came from the Pika - specifically the Large-eared Pika - or Mountain Viscacha.

Psycho

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
Years
_One_Winged_Angel_ said:
Blaziken
Kinda like if the Digimon Garudamon and Agunimon had a baby, they would have a Digimon version of Blaziken.
Blaziken and WarGreymon. End of that. :3

I disagree with the Lugia bit though Psycho, 'cause even if the myths are all same - Ryujin dragon looks nothing like Rugia. ^^; But I can still agree with everything else you said though.

Oh and a singular Pika means "Spark", so Pikachu is Lightning Rat or something. Meh .. but those things don't have the long ears, I think we can relate Pikachu to a bunny somehow?

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
I doubt that the creators received the idea for Blaziken from a Digimon.

We all can safely say that Blaziken is a chicken - final evolution of Torchic. I conjecture that it'd be best to surmise that it did not come from Wargreymon - the two bear no similarities. However, to be specific in species I'd say the either the Ardenner bantam, the Belgium Bantam, or the Wheaten OEG Rooster - also another Bantam.

For Lugia, that's just one theory, and as for looks, I'm no speaking of exact in likeness. Ryujin doesn't have to look exactly like it, but both hold drastically close similarities in relation to legend and characteristics. It could also be related to the mythical bird Halycon, Harukan/Huracan, the Mayan god of storms and one of the creator gods, or the Gray Heron.

Pikachu is an electric mouse, correct, that's it's Pokedex entry. Though, it does bear more similarities to both a Large-eared Pika and Mountain Viscacha combined. If you were to relate it to a rabbit, then you'd have to specify, as there are a plethora of different rabbit species.

Taillow and Swellow are swallows: Preferbly the Barn Swallow and Welcome Swallow.

Linoone is some sort of polecat, as Cowrie stated. A better picture would be this one of the Zorille - also called the zorilla or zoril.

Cubone and Marowak are most likely based off of the Mexican Prairie Dog or Black-tailed Prarie Dog.

Rattata is probably the Japanese rat or Black Rat - Rattata is purple, but we know that its a rat.

Raticate is based off of the Copyu/Nutria.

Dratini and Dragonair could come from sea serpents or Draco the constellation. Draco the dragon has been depicted as a long serpent with wing-like ears.

I'll add the new additions to my first post.

Psycho

Last edited:

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
Thanks for the support. However, if you have any conjectures of your own feel free to post them. Even if I disagree they'll still be added - unless you're just way off and trying to invoke humor.

Charizard is based off of the European Dragon, of the Draconus family. Here's a basic picture.

Rayquaza is based off of the Eastern Dragon, also called the Chinese Dragon. It could also be related to the Leviathan.

Duskull is a minature Grim Reaper.

Torkoal is the Geochelone carbonaria (Cherry Head Red-Foot Tortoise). Here are some pictures: 1 2 3 4

Yanma is based off of the Red Dragonfly.

Meowth might be a Ragdoll or it could be based off of Maneki Neko, or "Beckoning Cat", a common Japanese sculpture that is said to bring goodluck to the owner.

Sandshrew is a Chinese Pangolin or the Indian Pangolin. It bears much more of a resemblance to a Pangolin than a shrew.

Espeon appears to be based off of Nekomata. With fox-like characteristics.

Umbreon could be a Black Fox or Black Cat.

Flareon could be a Japanese Red Fox, perhaps. Here's another picture.

Vaporeon could just be the mermaid-like rendition of the Bat-eared fox.

Eevee could be a Fennec Fox.

Psycho

Years
Drowzee - based off the tapir, more specifically the Asian Tapir. Also based off the legend of the Baku, creatures sometimes described as being tapir-like that are said to eat evil spirits that may bring nightmares to humans.

I agree somewhat about about the Sandshrew (since Sandslash is most definitely a pangolin!), though I believe it's based off armadillos as well. The Pichiciego, or Pink Fairy Armadillo (what a name to give an animal) is one of the closest matches in looks, in my opinion; however, Sandshrew being able to roll up into a ball is more like the Three-banded Armadillo (Southern Three-banded Armadillo, just for reference), as that is the only armadillo species able to actually roll up like that.

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
Affirmative, I concur on the armadillo factor about Sandshrew.

Pinsir is based off of the Male Stag Beetle - the Elephant Stag Beetle or the Common Stag Beetle.

Krabby is a simple Red Crab.

Kingler is a Sand Fiddler Crab (Male Uca Pugilator).

Totodile, Cronocraw, or Feraligator are your basic American Alligators and Mugger Crocodiles.

Zubat, Zubat, and Golbat is are generic bats, specifically renditions of the Vespertilionidae and the Egyptian Fruit Bat.

Diglett is your average Mole. Dutrio is only a trio of moles.

Mareep resembles a Domesticated Sheep - perhaps a Blackhead Persian (these have had their wool cut, so that's why they appear furless).

Suicune is definitely some type of wolf/dog. I surmise that it is the Dire Wolf. This could be what its previous form was, before its reincarnation. If not that, then it was a Mackenzie Valley Wolf - which is also a grey wolf.

Psycho

Supreme Edgeboy Max

alphabet tour
Years
Meh .. I can't disagree with most. But I must say, I rather would go with the Ryujin dragon than the Grey Heron.

Suicune, isn't there something more similar to it than a wolf? An aqua wolf or beast or something ..

Psycho

♥~Catalina~♥
Years
Similar to Raikou (tiger) and Entei (lion), Suicune was based off of a generic animal. Suicune does remind me of the Wolf God of the forest from Princess Monoke. It could be an assortment of animals, but wolf was chosen because of the assembly - Lion, Tiger, and Wolf. Wolves are often seen as guardians, just as Suicune is a guardian.

Relicanth is based off of the Coelacanth.

Nosepass is based off of the Easter Island Moai. Here's another picture.

Nincada is based off of the Cicada Nymph.

Shedinja is the actual shed skin of a cicada when it goes from nymph to adult.

Ninjask would be the Cicada or Magicicada.

Anorith is based off of the Anomalocris.

Armaldo is based off of the Anomalocarids - however Armaldo is a bipedal rendition.

Lunatone is moon rock. Its crescent form does remind me of the Man in the Moon.

Solrock is a rock that resembles the sun - its in contrast to Lunatone.

Claydol is based off of Shakoukidoguu, the "spaceman" clay figurine from about AD 500.

Psycho

Back