• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Okay, I have to ask. Anyone else playin' since '97?

BaileyPlaysPokemon

YouTube Vid maker, Gen I lover
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    As in the first year that the games were released in the United States (not sure about other countries).

Picked my charmander in '97 on my red version. Completed my blue version Pokedex in '99, when they released Mew at the Pokemon Movie event lol.

Any old timers on here? come on, there's gotta be...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've been playing since 1999 with Yellow, but I've liked Pokemon since the beginning. idk if you would count me as much of a player back then though, cause I didn't get past Brock and then lost my game, so I mainly played both Pokemon Stadium games, Snap, and Puzzle League, haha. I was more of a TCG kid.

Minishcap

Fecaloma
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2012
    Yes! I began with the card game (pretty pics...) and then nagged on my mom so much to buy me the game. I wanted the Red version but she got my the Blue. I remember being so disappointed when I saw that ugly Blastoise. Later I played and I haven't stopped since then, although not playing non-stop since then.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Nope, I live in Europe, and my first Pokémon game was Yellow which came out in 2000. Means I was 6 years old when I first played it. I was 3 when the Pokémon games came out which is a little young XD

BaileyPlaysPokemon

YouTube Vid maker, Gen I lover
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    Nope, I live in Europe, and my first Pokémon game was Yellow which came out in 2000. Means I was 6 years old when I first played it. I was 3 when the Pokémon games came out which is a little young XD

did pokemon get to europe in 1997? i honestly don't even know. yellow was a classic though (:

Yes! I began with the card game (pretty pics...) and then nagged on my mom so much to buy me the game. I wanted the Red version but she got my the Blue. I remember being so disappointed when I saw that ugly Blastoise. Later I played and I haven't stopped since then, although not playing non-stop since then.

finally! lol i know what u mean though. i remember after my mom bought me red, i also conned her into buying me blue and yellow. she said "aren't these all the same game?" and i remember getting sooooo defensive on how they were different lol

Last edited:

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    I started playing during gen 1. I started with the anime and worked my way into the games from there though, so I haven't been playing since day 1. Pokemon stadium was my first game and after that I got red version, but I started with squirtle because I knew charmander would make dealing with brock a pain. At the end of my first game, blastoise was around lv 80 while everyone else was around lv 30 and didn't contribute much. In a way, I kinda did a solo challenge of my red version long before challenge runs got popular XD. Gen 1 was also the only time in my entire pokemon carrer that I raised anything to lv 100. Mewtwo ftw XD.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
  • I first got into the TCG when i was 7 & then I saved up when I was 8 I wanted to buy Pokemon Blue Version but I fell on the Ruby & Sapphire release date so in the end I walked out with a Pokemon Sapphire Version game. I got Blue version as my second game.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    My cousin from the US got one, and he lend it to me when he visited us. It was around 2001 or 2002 I guess. Can't remember the exact date.

Years
  • Yup! Been playing since the beginning. I remember getting Red one of the first days it came out :)

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Sadly no, not in '97, but I played Blue in '99 so that's still pretty old.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Yep, I got it when it came out in '97
    Of course i moved a few years later, so ... I'm the only one in my area with a US version :I

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Did Pokemon even leave Japan by '97?

Anyways, I was a little late. I first got Red version around 2000. Someone had actually sent it to my brother as a present, but he already had Blue, so he gave it to me.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I didn't get into the games until I got Silver Version in 2000, on my eighth birthday. However, I've been a fan of Pokemon since the beginning, watching the anime, iirc.

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2012
    Didn't own a Pokémon Game when I was a kid. Played on friends game's, had the TCG Cards, the toys, watched the show and so, but didn't own a Gameboy.

In 2008 I bought Pokémon Red and Crystal and since then I have played them through alot.

thefacelessone64

PokeBaller
    Years
  • i got an atomic purple gameboy color for my eighth birthday, along with red version and one of those purple skateboards with a handle on it that would flip up into a scooter( you guys remember those pieces of crap?), and i asked my mom to return it and get pokemon yellow instead (just saw the commercial for it on tv, it had just been released). i was so immersed in pokemon, i traded all my toys for cards, made tons of new friends at school through pokemon, taped over all of my dad's star trek episodes with pokemon... my parents hate the japanese now. lol i still have my gameboy and yellow, sadly i lost my red version.... oh well.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
    Years
  • I've been playing since 1999 with Yellow, but I've liked Pokemon since the beginning. idk if you would count me as much of a player back then though, cause I didn't get past Brock and then lost my game, so I mainly played both Pokemon Stadium games, Snap, and Puzzle League, haha. I was more of a TCG kid.

I too started with Pokemon Yellow, which arrived about half way through the year 2000 here in Europe, and Brock still brings back some nightmares.

Let's just say it took me a while to get to grips with the Pokemon games, and it took me an eternity to finally defeat Brock. It's hard to get a sense of typing effectiveness when most Pokemon moves are, at this point, electricity and normal type moves. I could do little but sit back, repeatedly smash into that Onyx with Quick Attack and wait for it all to be over swiftly.

Back