• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you want to have cosmetic surgery someday?

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
  • is breast reduction/removal cosmetic surgery? if so, then that one. they give me a lot of gender dysphoria.

if it's not one then just ignore this comment bc other than that i don't want any cosmetic surgery.

Years
  • I mean some people just want to feel pretty in a world where pretty is highly valued. It only bothers me when they are dishonest about why they got it.

That just perpetuates the appearance obsessed culture we all live in more and I can't agree with that. There's a very small number of circumstances where I feel cosmetic surgery is something that people should undergo and 'I want to feel pretty" isn't one of them.

Years
  • is breast reduction/removal cosmetic surgery? if so, then that one. they give me a lot of gender dysphoria.

if it's not one then just ignore this comment bc other than that i don't want any cosmetic surgery.

Breast reduction/removal in that sense, imo, should not be considered cosmetic.

Personally, I've always thought I could use a smaller nose, but I'm used to it now. I now embrace myself and all my "flaws".

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    To be honest, I've wanted to get my tongue split for years but I'm not sure if that counts as a cosmetic surgery since there's ways you can do it without going under the knife. That, and it certainly wouldnt be so I could look "mainstream" pretty lol. It would just be something for me alone to enjoy. :)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah I could fix my nose. It's too long and pointy.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    That just perpetuates the appearance obsessed culture we all live in more and I can't agree with that. There's a very small number of circumstances where I feel cosmetic surgery is something that people should undergo and 'I want to feel pretty" isn't one of them.

I know appearance obsessed culture is not good for our society, I'm very against it actually. But I think appearance obsessed culture we live in is inevitable due to our very nature as social animals. So some cosmetic surgery isn't going to perpetuate it that much. I do agree there are far more important reasons to get cosmetic surgery like medical emergencies. But what is wrong with a little cosmetic surgery compared to make up, piercings, tattoos that are more socially accepted? People modify their body all the time to make them feel better in their appearance.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have no desire to get cosmetic surgery and doubt I will.

However I have absolutely no problem or judgements towards people that choose to do so. It's not hurting anyone.

If indeed someone chose to change their appearance because of insecurities about how they look I would say the problems lies with society more than anything else.

Equally if someone chose to change their appearance purely for "vain" reasons that's still their prerogative and (again for appearance reasons) is little different from dying hair, wearing contacts instead of glasses or whatever else. We all have trivial things that make us happy, if wanting to look good is that for someone who is anyone else to judge?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Not gonna lie, I've considered it and still think about it sometimes, the major factors holding me back being the possibility of botched plastic surgery/looking unnatural, healing downtime and of course the price. When I weigh the pros and cons it's not worth it enough to me to actually go through with it.

I wish I can say I've truly learned to love every part of my face, but truthfully I look in the mirror a lot and think "well, my face could be a little sharper, my nose could be a little smaller", etc. Nothing that really bothers me, but minor tweaks I would be happy with - it's definitely vanity, I will admit that.

It's quite interesting to me how frowned upon this is in our culture - I wouldn't say I quite condone how normalized it is in certain countries but I feel like if you have the means to do so and if it would help your confidence, I don't really see how it is so different from, say, putting on makeup or wearing nice clothes, or any of the other things Yue Han mentioned. Yes, I realize it's a very big stretch to compare those when on one end you are going under the knife to alter your physical appearance or just temporarily putting something on you, but it's all vanity to varying degrees.

Years
  • I have never seriously contemplated such a thing, it is expensive, in some instances it is unsafe and I see it as an act of self-hatred to literally cut your own body and face to make it look like someone else's. In some cases people honestly to me look not as good after the surgery. You can end up looking fake, gaunt and like a piece of stretched plastic. I myself would only consider this for medical reasons such as an injury to my face. For the most part I feel like we are all fine the way we are. I like my body. I am a healthy size. There are a few things about the way I look that don't make me feel beautiful at times, my nose is a little big, my jaw is a little strong,my hair is wild and I think I could be prone a widow's peak as I age, but its nothing I can't live with. I will dress myself in something cool that expresses me and style my hair with a flattering haircut and I feel like I'm good enough.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I want to apologise for the tone of my last post, to anyone who saw it—I was out of line and never intended to imply that sex reassignment surgery is vain in any way.

When it comes to subjects that I find distressing, my thoughts often run away from me and I end up getting worked-up or even a little hostile, saying things without due cause and letting my passion control me. The reason I'm disturbed by SRS — along with many other surgeries — is because they often result in debilitating psychological and/or physical damage. I do not hold anything against those who pursue it, however, and can only imagine what they must go through in the first place.

If any surgery can increase someone's quality of life, that's great! But to get implants or a face-lift for example, is in most cases saying "look at me", and these people are going to be judged on that, whether they like it or not. I personally do not make flash judgements about strangers, although I will question the reasoning behind their choices. I won't assume it, though.

Society has raised these ridiculous standards and it pains me how so many people are pressured into altering their individuality for the sake of being liked. That's why I am put off by cosmetic surgery.

Again, I apologise for the insensitivity of last post!

Back