• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi there, thank you for the hack. I like it a lot so far, but I would love it if you got rid of the obedience and just put in level caps, much less frustrating. The only thing the obedience does is make me spam save states more.

Hello, thanks for giving it a try! Good to hear that you're enjoying it so far!

I might just implement regular level caps scailing with each obtained badge, I've had other people mention it too so it's probably the correct thing to do.

I've edited the code to reflect that, just got to give it a quick play test before I update the hack to V1.4.

Also this is directed at everyone who has a save file. Once I implement the level caps they will only work when starting a new game since the first caps is initilaized with the starting intro and it only goes up with each event. If you were to just swap over the ROMs it wouldn't work since the changes wouldn't be set in place and the only thing that would remain would be the obedience caps, I've tried it in two seperate save files and it's always the case.

Years
    • Seen today
    Updated the game to Version 1.4. Obedience has been replaced with level caps that scale with every Johto Gym Leader, those restrictions do not apply in Kanto. Each obedience level is equal to a Gym Leader's Ace.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey again!

I'm a bit surprised that you changed it even though your personal preference was obedience over level caps. Why not make two versions then? I am not a ROM hacker but I assume it shouldn't be too much work to separate them in two versions.

Also is there a way to see your implemented level caps based on each Gym Leader such as in your docs or are the Leader levels unchanged from the original Pokemon Crystal game so it's just a quick Google search to find out?

Years
    • Seen today
    Hey again!

I'm a bit surprised that you changed it even though your personal preference was obedience over level caps. Why not make two versions then? I am not a ROM hacker but I assume it shouldn't be too much work to separate them in two versions.

Also is there a way to see your implemented level caps based on each Gym Leader such as in your docs or are the Leader levels unchanged from the original Pokemon Crystal game so it's just a quick Google search to find out?
    It was my preference, but I was open to suggestions, two users here suggested the idea and generally the dissaembly discord agreed that it was the better choice and I still playtested it before releasing it and thought it was fine.

The obedience caps are still there, albeit not so much as a anti-overleveling feature but more of a anti cheating measure, it's still in the source code, though I will need to update it on GitHub.

But it's a simple enough edit so if there is interest I'm open to releasing two versions once I feel like the hack is truly complete, it's mostly one version for now because RomHacking allows for one file to be uploaded (where the hack is crossposted). There's also a plan for a 0DV and a Max DV Rom later down the line if there is interest, I've had this suggested to me on Reddit.

The leader levels are changed, there is a link to the documents in the description, they come in a ZIP file and there's a document called "Lunatic Crystal Trainers" that lists the levels of all major battles, the level caps are the Leader's highest level.

But to save time here are the level caps:
    Falkner - 15
    Bugsy - 24
    Whitney - 29
    Morty - 36
    Chuck - 41
    Jasmine - 44
    Pryce - 53
    Clair - 65
    Elite 4 and Lance - 75

There are no level caps in Kanto, since beating Lance for the first time sets the cap to 100.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hello, thanks for giving it a try! Good to hear that you're enjoying it so far!

I might just implement regular level caps scailing with each obtained badge, I've had other people mention it too so it's probably the correct thing to do.

I've edited the code to reflect that, just got to give it a quick play test before I update the hack to V1.4.

Also this is directed at everyone who has a save file. Once I implement the level caps they will only work when starting a new game since the first caps is initilaized with the starting intro and it only goes up with each event. If you were to just swap over the ROMs it wouldn't work since the changes wouldn't be set in place and the only thing that would remain would be the obedience caps, I've tried it in two seperate save files and it's always the case.
    Thank you so much, that is a fantastic change that I have no problem starting a new save file for. Appreciate the hard work =]

Years
    • Seen today
    The game has been updated to version 1.5. Here is the list of the things that I have changed:

• The artificial save delay has been deleted. The player can now save the game instantly without any delays.
    • The Clock Reset button combination has been simplified, to bring up the clock reset dialog, press Down + B. Furthermore there is no password required.
    • Pokemon no longer gain experience upon reaching the level cap or level 100.
    • A check has been added to Gym Leader Jasmine to check whether you defeated Chuck or not. Defeating Chuck first is mandatory as it's no longer possible to challenge Jasmine with 4 badges.
    • The battle menu now displays the move's Power and Accuracy in the bottom left corner when selecting a move. The accuracy is displayed with the 0-255 Figure which is used by the game to calculate accuracy with 255 being the maximum number, or in other words: 100% accuracy.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Great hack so far, thanks! I'm playing V1.4. Found a Zubat with perfect DVs. Insanely lucky. Can you please post a PDF download of the move changes? I appreciate encounter and moveset PDFs, but would also like to see move changes. I've already noticed that Cut is Bug Type with 70 base power, and Rockslide has been increased to 100bp. Thanks!!

Years
    • Seen today
    Great hack so far, thanks! I'm playing V1.4. Found a Zubat with perfect DVs. Insanely lucky. Can you please post a PDF download of the move changes? I appreciate encounter and moveset PDFs, but would also like to see move changes. I've already noticed that Cut is Bug Type with 70 base power, and Rockslide has been increased to 100bp. Thanks!!
    Thanks for giving it a go! I'm going to write a document listing move changes as well as document listing mart changes, I should get it out soon.

Years
    • Seen today
    Here's the document listing all the move changes.

I'm working on a bigger update for version 1.6 so I'll hold off on the Mart Document for now. I'll create it with the new update and edit any previous documents to match the new changes.

Attachments

• LUNATIC CRYSTAL MOVE CHANGE.pdf
      110.7 KB · Views: 16
    Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Thank you for this hack, and currently playing Version 1.5.

I got this shiny Machoke while leveling my Diglett (to evolve into Dugtrio) at Mt. Mortar. I am currently have 3 badges and finishing the Kimono Girls to obtain Surf HM at Ecruteak as of now.

Attachments

• Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6
      lunatic crystal 1.5.png
      3.1 KB · Views: 6
    Years
    • Seen today
    Thank you for this hack, and currently playing Version 1.5.

I got this shiny Machoke while leveling my Diglett (to evolve into Dugtrio) at Mt. Mortar. I am currently have 3 badges and finishing the Kimono Girls to obtain Surf HM at Ecruteak as of now.
    That's an awesome shiny you've got there! Thanks for giving it a go and I hope you're enjoying it.

Years
    • Seen today
    Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6Pokemon Lunatic Crystal v1.6

I'm working on Version 1.6, it will be a much larger update compared to Version 1.5 and I wanted to share some of my progress here.

I've added in the Pocket PC and Repel as Key Items. The Pocket PC allows you to use the PC in the overworld, pretty simple concept. I am going to be coding some limitations such as it not being allowed in-doors or caves and it not restoring full HP and PP, but it's a convenient way of switching your party without having to run to the nearest PC. It also makes switching Full Boxes much less of a pain.

Repel replaces the already existing Repel system, there are no more Super Repel or Max Repels, this version of Repel can be turned on and off and lasts an infinite amount of steps so that you can get to different locations much faster. You don't have to buy it or wait a long time to get it, it's given you to the Cherrygrove Guide who's now a mandatory event. The Map Card in the Pokegear is given to the player right away.

There have been some changes to the Moves and some planned ones, the most important of these is the new Hidden Power system. The game no longer uses the old formula to calculate damage ranging from 30 to 70 for each Pokemon, instead Hidden Power has a set power of 70, making it much more useful and it's no longer a waste of a moveslot for Pokemon with less then ideal DVs. The typing formula works the same as it normally does, the information displayed in the 4th Stat Page about the type is correct and the game correctly determines the Hidden Power type in combat.

Gym Leaders have received some upgrades, all the leaders now have 6 Pokemon each, making them more challenging, some of the ones that already had a part of 6 received updated rosters. The battles are now also more challenging as the AI is much less likely to go for a not very effective move when it sees no super effective ones and it now is capable of switching depending on stat drops as well as match-ups against your Pokemon (for example in the Bugsy fight when I led with Geodude he was switching to Parasect who had Giga Drain). The AI still needs a bit more polishing but it's there to provide an extra layer of challenge.

Team Rocket no longer has unnamed Executives. The two unnamed ones have been replaced with Proton and Petrel (credit for the sprites to the creator of Archer and Giovanni's sprites), Proton also leads the grunts in Slowpoke Well to match HGSS. They have better AI, custom overworld sprites and custom trainers sprites, as well as better DVs and new, better rosters of Pokemon.

Those are the main things for now, I'm also working on fixing some minor oversights, glitches and I will be balancing the Pokemon more with some getting updated typings (for example Arbok is now Poison/Dark) and movesets. I suspect this one will take much more time to be released than the previous ones, but I am still working on the hack.

Days
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    This is currently my favourite non-conversion Pokémon hack; tough as hell but not unfair, and keeping it true to the generation's mechanics. The balance changes also offer welcome variety, and I'd like to see more unique typings in the future to spice things up. Looking forward to 1.6 (y)

Years
    • Seen today
    This is currently my favourite non-conversion Pokémon hack; tough as hell but not unfair, and keeping it true to the generation's mechanics. The balance changes also offer welcome variety, and I'd like to see more unique typings in the future to spice things up. Looking forward to 1.6 (y)
    I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the hack, there is quite a bit in store for version 1.6, it will be the biggest update yet.

I should upload it on a couple of days, I've implemented the changes that I set out to do and right now I am updating the documents. Once I'm done with them the new version should be up.

I did a lot of testing and everything works correctly, but I'll still need to go over a few things but the new update should be out very soon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    The game has been updated to version 1.6!

All the features are listed in the description and all the information is available in the new and updated documents, which include moveset changes, stat and type changes, move changes, mart changes, encounter tables and all the important trainers and rematches.

The most important things for this update are the Repel, the PC Pocket, 30 post game level 100 rematches, new Team Rocket executives, Hidden Power changes, some new type changes, and a complete overhaul of pretty much every boss fight. I also added extra events and post game fights, as well making the progression of the game more linear and slightly different.

I hope you enjoy this new update!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Please post updated documents in a PDF download version! I can not access current file. Thanks!

Years
    • Seen today
    Please post updated documents in a PDF download version! I can not access current file. Thanks!
    The link works, I assume you have problems opening the ZIP File? All the documents that are there are in PDF format, but I can post them here.

Attachments

• Lunatic Crystal Encounters.pdf
      378 KB · Views: 12
    • Lunatic Crystal Leaders.pdf
      935.7 KB · Views: 10
    • Lunatic Crystal Marts.pdf
      129.2 KB · Views: 11
    • Lunatic Crystal Moves.pdf
      111.7 KB · Views: 12
    • Lunatic Crystal Pokemon Movesets and Changes.pdf
      776.5 KB · Views: 19
    • Lunatic Crystal Rival.pdf
      430.9 KB · Views: 9
    • Lunatic Crystal Trainers.pdf
      1.2 MB · Views: 10
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you! I also can't load the updated version 1.6 either... not sure what's wrong... been waiting for this update. Can't wait to give it a go.

Years
    • Seen today
    Thank you! I also can't load the updated version 1.6 either... not sure what's wrong... been waiting for this update. Can't wait to give it a go.
    Do you have problems with the patch itself or problems downloading the file? If it's with patching, make sure you use Lunar IPS and patch a Pokemon Crystal V1.1 file.

Attachments

• Pokemon Lunatic Crystal 1.6.ips
      721.7 KB · Views: 7
    Back