• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

WPA/WPA2 support for DPPt/HGSS?

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    [I dont know if this is the right place to put this. I think it is though so here goes.]

I recently started a playthrough in Pokemon Following Platinum and was a little confused when I tried to connect to Kaeru WFC's PokeClassic servers in the GTS and it failed, giving me a "No access point in range" error. In BW2 it worked fine previously, and a connection test on my DSi verifies that I can still connect to the Internet on it.

This was when I did a bit of digging and found out that Gen 4 does not support WPA/WPA2 security, only WEP, which a lot of ISP-provided routers dont support anymore, therefore the connection settings can't even register they're there.

I know I can just deploy a hotspot with no security or just disable security on my router which would honestly probably be way easier, but not everyones got that option and since BW/BW2 support WPA/WPA2, I was wondering how easy would it be to backport that kind of support into a Gen 4 game. Probably not possible, but its a bit over my head to find out myself so I figured I'd ask here.

(Also for those wondering, it's not just that I'm using Following Platinum, I think HGSS have the same issue and AdAstra told me that while they didn't test for WFC services, they should still work as the code for it wasnt touched)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
    Back