• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst School Shooting in US History

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Already being called the worst school shooting in US history. The article is just a little bit behind, but so far I've heard there are 28 people dead.

(CNN) -- The Virginia Tech police chief said at least 20 people were killed in twin shootings on the Blacksburg campus Monday morning.

"Some victims were shot in a classroom," Chief Wendell Flinchum said, adding that the gunman was dead.

"Today the university was struck with a tragedy that we consider of monumental proportions," said university President Charles Steger. "The university is shocked and indeed horrified." (Map of Blacksburg)

The attacks mark the worst school shooting incident since 1999 when Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris killed 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.

A hospital spokeswoman told The Associated Press that 17 Virginia Tech students were being treated for gunshot wounds and other injuries.

Sharon Honaker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center told CNN that four patients had been transported there, one in critical condition.

One person was killed and others were wounded at multiple locations inside a dormitory about 7:15 a.m., Flinchum said. Two hours later, another shooting at Norris Hall, the engineering science and mechanics building, resulted in multiple casualties, the university reported. (Watch police, ambulances hustle to the scene )

The first reported shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on the 2,600-acre campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

Amie Steele, editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, said one of her reporters at the dormitory reported "mass chaos."

The reporter said there were "lots of students running around, going crazy, and the police officers were trying to settle everyone down and keep everything under control," according to Steele.

Kristyn Heiser said she was in class about 9:30 a.m. when she and her classmates saw about six gun-wielding police officers run by a window.

"We were like, 'What's going on?' Because this definitely is a quaint town where stuff doesn't really happen. It's pretty boring here," said Heiser during a phone interview as she sat on her classroom floor.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem." (Watch a student's recording of police responding to loud bangs )

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Madison Van Duyne said she and her classmates in a media writing class were on "lockdown" in their classrooms. They were huddled in the middle of the classroom, writing stories about the shootings and posting them online.

The university is updating its 26,000 students through e-mails, and an Internet webcam is broadcasting live pictures of the campus.

The shootings came three days after a bomb threat Friday forced the cancellation of classes in three buildings, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bomb threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

After the Monday shootings, students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

Last edited:

Erimgard

Rocket's Revenge
    Years
  • yeah I heard about this :(
    terrible news.
    last count I heard was 22 dead (including the gunman) and 29 injured.
    who would shoot 50 people in their school? insane...

ASG

ANTI-SPAM GUN
    Years
  • 31 dead 20+ injured. I heard it on the radio after track today. 1 killed in a dorm everyone else was shot on the other side of campus.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I think it's 38 dead now. This is just terrible, a witness described the shooter's face when he came in and shot his teacher as "Serious and Stoic". The fact that he could keep a straight face while shooting down other people is just.... undescribable. >.<

MegaDitto

Windsor ™
    Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2013
    I heard that they continued some classes after the shotting.

Tensaiji

~Naruto~
    Years
  • What makes me wonder is: why would he want to find his girlfriend and all of a sudden start killing innocent lives for no reason?

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • you got to think: why?

Was he a psyco moron and got an F than a passing B on his most impotant math quiz?

His parents are Terrible?

JUST BECAUSE HE WAS ASAIN?

you got to think...

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    There are 33 confirmed now FYI.

Really makes me want to go back to America. I have a lot of thoughts on the subject, but honestly, I can't keep it G. So please don't think I care. Just know that I am sickened by this beyond words.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
  • you know what makes me mad most of all?
    that all the people who were killed, spent thier nice, heathy, lives, make so many friends, and almost ready for the real world, Die because a psyco got mad and had two guns in his possetion. and the thing that makes me mad most of all, is that he just wanted to take as much inoccent people with him when he commited suicide. that's sick. and he was a student, too. violence, now to everyone, is a terrible, sick, thing.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Makes you feel pretty insecure knowing that people like that roam the streets.

It's a terrible thing, and these mass shootings/attacks in schools have happened too often in the past 3 years. In Russia, Amish community and now Main stream America.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
  • confirmed:

Cho Seung-Hui, a 23-year-old senior from South Korea, as Virginia Tech gunman.

^
    he made bomb threats to test the school's secrity.
    it was said that he planned this for 1 week.
    and... They think the reason was grades or girlfriend thing.
    wow >_< what a reason to kill over 30 people, the selfish phsyco.

If I were his father, I wouldn't feel sad over his loss after what he did before he killed himself.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Wow this is just sad. What is this world coming to?

Just your normal day-to-day lives. Crazy people roam wild every day, you just don't notice them.

What makes me wonder is: why would he want to find his girlfriend and all of a sudden start killing innocent lives for no reason?

He needs no reason. He has no reason.

Makes you feel pretty insecure knowing that people like that roam the streets.

It's a terrible thing, and these mass shootings/attacks in schools have happened too often in the past 3 years. In Russia, Amish community and now Main stream America.

Makes you wonder about the availability of guns and how that is related to these incidents. Take the guns away, there would be no problems like this, because the crazy people would not have as an easy time getting them.

Suki

I'm gonna make it.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2019
    I saw this on the news yesterday and I was shocked. This morning in school, we actually watched the news on it. This is crazy and Bush is still forced to carry on with the idea of buying guns freely cuz of the Government and all that crap.

But anyway this is really sad... I mean it's just horrible and he did it because of heartbreak? I mean get over it >O It's so wrong. Well he can't now because he's dead.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2007
    Yes, this is terrible. It really isn't the schools fault, though. I think the only person you can really put the blame on is the shooter. It isn't gun control's fault, it isn't the schools fault, it isn't the president's fault (all 3 I've seen put blame on). It really is solely the shooters fault. Something like this is terrible, but this particular situation was really unavoidable. Those who died happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It's truly incredibly sad, because they died purely because of bad luck. They did nothing wrong at all. It was one of those instances where the kids who were shot bullied the shooter, or anything. R.I.P. to those who were shot, and I wish the best of the luck to those who were injured, and to the school itself.

Back