• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows XP or Vista??

Years
    I'd go with Vista, but I would wait a bit longer since it did have quite a few problems, which they have worked out for the most part. It's just to be on the safe side of things though.

If you're really anxious though, go with XP. It may not be as fancy looking as vista, respectively, but it is reliable.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    I'll use XP as long as I can... Vista is weird. >_> (And I mean more than just the name)

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I use Windows ME T_T and it sux but I guess Id prefer Vista since its newer and more programs are gonna start coming out for it. Its probably gonna get more popular in the next year or 2.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    I quite like the interface of Vista, and would very much like it, but I am used to XP, and that is quite user-friendly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2007
    I'd say XP. I don't have any GOOd reasons, but a have one: Vista can't play very many 3d games such as Oblivion :(.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I have a test rig running Vista and the Beta of SP1 and it works. Its reasonably stable in most cases, but the warnings it keeps giving about mods by software are a pain. Computer has a 2.6Ghz P4, 2GB PC3200 RAM, 300GB SATA hard drive, NVidia 6200 256MB PCI Video card. Nero 8 for some reason hates my Vista install though. No big loss.

I have XP on all my good machines, my gaming rig, my brothers machine, family machine, etc. XP Is just reliable. Not much more then that.

haffeysucks

lolpwnt
    Years
    I have a test rig running Vista and the Beta of SP1 and it works. Its reasonably stable in most cases, but the warnings it keeps giving about mods by software are a pain. Computer has a 2.6Ghz P4, 2GB PC3200 RAM, 300GB SATA hard drive, NVidia 6200 256MB PCI Video card. Nero 8 for some reason hates my Vista install though. No big loss.

I have XP on all my good machines, my gaming rig, my brothers machine, family machine, etc. XP Is just reliable. Not much more then that.

Note that if you DO want to take advantage of Vista's DX10 capabilities (in games such as Crysis, etc.) you'll need a nVidia 8-series card, or a ATI 2600XT (I think that's it, although I'm not an ATI guy).

I have plenty of experience in the computer field, and my advice is to go with Vista for a new build.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    Note that if you DO want to take advantage of Vista's DX10 capabilities (in games such as Crysis, etc.) you'll need a nVidia 8-series card, or a ATI 2600XT (I think that's it, although I'm not an ATI guy).

I have plenty of experience in the computer field, and my advice is to go with Vista for a new build.

I have one of the 8800 series in my main machine. Its rocks. But Vista sucks, and this test machine just is there for me to "test" stuff on, and practice with Vista, so I don't need a fun video card like that. Actually, there are DX10 cards out that are not 8800's for Nvidia.

Vista for a new build? Are you kidding? The things buggy as hell, barely works, and makes no sense. Might as well go back to the Windows ME day. I'll be running XP for awhile yet. Vista is far from where it needs to be.

Lumine

Basement Cat
    Years
    True as I mentioned previously dont get Vista until Vista Sp2 comes out (at least thats what I heard and this case is somehow similar to as when they first released XP yeh it was badly bugged that it was so easy to hack), current Vista is like a Lawnmower on steroids, anyone know when they'll release Vista Sp2?

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    True as I mentioned previously dont get Vista until Vista Sp2 comes out (at least thats what I heard and this case is somehow similar to as when they first released XP yeh it was badly bugged that it was so easy to hack), current Vista is like a Lawnmower on steroids, anyone know when they'll release Vista Sp2?

SP1 for Vista is in Beta right now. I'm running it, and its still quite buggy from what I've scene.

Back