• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where do Ash and co get their money?

Years
  • Has it ever been explained? I've always thought that the Gym leaders should give money for winning like they do in the game.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I haven't really seen them spending any money either. I do remember Brock going to the Pokemarts to buy some stuff, but they never showed him spending money.
    I wonder if Ash gets his money transferred directly to a bank account. And maybe the Trainer card is some sort of credit/ debit card in the Anime, which they use for transactions. :P

Ayesha

惚け
    Years
  • Huh, that's interesting. I always thought if you beat a trainer you get money. Or is that just the games? I don't think the anime really mentions money...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I think that it's possible that Ash (or his friends) bring their own money with them, but it wasn't mentioned.

Years
  • Maybe the government has a "Trainer's Allowance" couple times a month.

Maybe Giovanni pays Ash a percentage to beat Jessie and James. All while his satellites watch.

Maybe Pokemon droppings have uses of "value" to the right buyer.
    ~ "Hey, Misty! That one is still smokin'!"

Years
  • Huh, that's interesting. I always thought if you beat a trainer you get money. Or is that just the games? I don't think the anime really mentions money...

Has it ever been explained? I've always thought that the Gym leaders should give money for winning like they do in the game.

That only happens in the games.

I wonder if Ash gets his money transferred directly to a bank account. And maybe the Trainer card is some sort of credit/ debit card in the Anime, which they use for transactions.

That's an interesting theory. I never really thought of the Trainer Card being used like a credit card. It's also possible that they get their allowances from Nurse Joy every time they go into a Pokemon Centre.

Years
  • I think that it's possible that Ash (or his friends) bring their own money with them, but it wasn't mentioned.

Yeah, it's not mention either. And if its true and they're not spending anything with money, then, they are very thrifty with money.

I haven't really seen them spending any money either. I do remember Brock going to the Pokemarts to buy some stuff, but they never showed him spending money.
    I wonder if Ash gets his money transferred directly to a bank account. And maybe the Trainer card is some sort of credit/ debit card in the Anime, which they use for transactions. :P

Just like what CliveKoopa said, your theory is very great.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I guess maybe it's all off screen? Or maybe theres no such thing as money in the pokemon world?

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Or maybe theres no such thing as money in the pokemon world?
    I don't think that is possible. People can't be handing over all the stuff Brock buys in PokeMarts for free! :\ There's got to be some sort of currency or the economy would collapse! Unless they are still following barter system. lol

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't think that is possible. People can't be handing over all the stuff Brock buys in PokeMarts for free! :\ There's got to be some sort of currency or the economy would collapse! Unless they are still following barter system. lol
    I do agree with that but you need to take into consideration that it is only a tv program, I bet the writers probably haven't even even thought about money xD Good job on pointing it out though, seems like an interesting topic!~

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Simple. They probably go by Yen or Poke's, but Money is not an important aspect of Pokemon Training, just like going to the restroom.

And there is money of similar value to Yen because if you can still remember, there were overpriced rocks on sale before Ash challenged Brock's gym.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    I always thought his mom would send him money, or he would win it, but it was never seen :/

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • There is money as I've heard them say frequently "Aww... but I have no money for food" in the TV series.

As for how they get it, it's always puzzled me. I'm sure Ash's mum gives him some money, somehow. Though I've not known Ash's mum to have a job. Perhaps Ash's dad died (I've never heard him mentioned nor seen him) and Ash's mum got an incredible payout from his life insurance?

Brock and Misty, perhaps they get their money from being Gym Leaders? Although they aren't actively being a Gym Leader while they're travelling, they are still classed as one.

CommanderPigg

Dento used bishie sparkles!
    Years
  • If I recall correctly, I think that Ash's mother owns some sort of home restaurant or something (don't take my word for it, I think I just saw it posted in a magazine somewhere).

Brock probably gets paid for his gym...the Pokemon League sponsors them, I'm sure. Same with Misty and May...Johanna probably sends Dawn her retirement money (I'm sure she has loads thanks to her GF wins) as well as part of her alimony check.

How they never run out, I'll never know...sad thing is, everything is probably paid for through tax money XD

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
    Years
  • From Bulbapedia

According to Takeshi Shudō's novelization, she runs Pallet Town's only restaurant, Pallet House, which she inherited from her mother. When she was younger, she dreamed of becoming both a model and a Pokémon trainer, but abandoned those dreams to run the restaurant after Ash was born. Brock once commented that she would make a great Pokémon trainer because of her perseverance.

so ash mom does own a restaurant.

Back