• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen whats a virus?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 4, 2007
    ive heard your pokemon can get a virus, which is a good thing right? it raises there stats doesnt it? explain plz

Years
    Despite being a virus, Pokérus is beneficial to its hosts. Pokérus accelerates the hidden statistical development of Pokémon (that is, its training) by making it gain effort values at twice the speed. This effect is cumulative with the Macho Brace, and an infected Pokémon with such an item effectively trains at four times its normal rate. In the third generation games, where training is capped to a maximum, the Pokérus does not raise this maximum limit. The overall effect on a Pokémon's strength is thus negligible, as a Pokémon can be fully trained with or without Pokérus. It is, however, easier to fully develop a Pokémon's skills with Pokérus because it reduces the number of battles needed to fully train the Pokémon.

Pokérus is mainly contracted from battles; there is a 2 in 65,535 chance of contracting Pokérus in battle. If a Pokémon in the active party has Pokérus, in each round of battle there is a 1 in 2 chance (1 in 3 in the third generation) that an adjacent Pokémon on the team will contract the Pokérus. The active Pokémon can also contract Pokérus in this manner if the first "bench member" has the Pokérus.

Pokérus is cured after 24 hours on the party from the time of infection; Pokémon cannot be cured of Pokérus if left in a PC box or are traded to Pokémon Stadium 2 or Pokémon Box. It also appears that pokerus will not stop being contagius even after twenty-four hours in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. Once Pokérus' effects end, the host develops an immunity to it and pokerus can no longer be transmitted. However, the accelerated stat growth remains, the Pokémon only loses the ability to spread it.

Hopefully everything you need to know.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Congratulations, J_zero, you've just gotten yourself a warning for bypassing the character limit about 50 million times.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    Pokerus goes away at 12:00 am, not 24 hours, so long as you throw them in the box they'll keep it forever. Just remember to put them back before 12:00, because I remember being in the trophy garden talking to Mr. Backlot trying to get a certain Pokemon before the day is over, and lost the Pokerus on the few Pokemon in my party. No big deal really I keep many Pokemon in my box with the stuff.

Znale

Disturbed Morphing Jar
    Years
    I got a dragonite with pokerus

This is probably the moderator's business to take care of things like this but don't go off topic. There is an own thread for sharing your own travelling stories.

EDIT* The virus is called "Pokerus" that doubles the EVs you get from a Pokemon (So that I wouldn't go totally off-topic=))

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 4, 2007
    ok, one question.... is pokerus a GOOD thing or a BAD thing?
    shall i spread it on all my best pokemon?

Back