• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tug o' War 5 - Pie (+1) vs Cake (-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

I disagree. There was a time where I thought I didn't liked cake because of what I was used to seeing at birthday parties for friends and classmates as a kid. A lot of people pack them with sugar, especially cakes targeted at the youngest of us, slathering them in icing, sprinkles and candy, and to me that tastes too syrupy, and makes me feel icky from the sweetness overload. I would usually eat the ice cream served alongside it, but leave my slice of cake untouched on the plate. I also hate snack cakes like Little Debbie and Hostess.

I have come realize that I actually can enjoy cake, but only simple, sleek ones without a lot of artifical colors will do. I like something like pound cake, chocolate bundt cake or maybe lemon drizzle cake. I'm much more critical about my cakes, than pies.

Years

Then we are the opposite in that regard. I'm much more critical of pies than cakes. When I get pie I need to be picky about what type of pie I get, and from where I get it, because I'll end up with a pie I don't like otherwise. I like Cherry pie from a baker somewhat nearby for example. If I were to get that pie from a different baker or the supermarket, they don't taste good. Yes, I've actually tried.
    Whereas I can get the same cakes I like pretty much everywhere around here and they'll be good. Only exception there is pound cake as the supermarkets' pound cakes are kinda dry.
    The whipped cream cake from the supermarket is almost just as good as one from a baker, if not just as good.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • I guess in terms of where they come from I am picky about both cake and pie. I typically want baked goods that are homemade instead of processed. But I guess what I like about pie a bit more is that it's easier to find a simple pie, and simple is how I typically like to eat sweets, not just pies and cakes. Like if someone told me to pick a doughnut, then I think I would pick this one, with nothing on it but the glaze.

In cake culture it seems more popular to "enhance" cakes with toppings, and I prefer natural and minimal. There are definitely cakes like that too to suit me, but a cake with a lot of stuff on it is often what you see more. I am happiest taking my pound cake plain, more like that
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years

The cakes and pies from the baker are baked freshly every day or couple days.
    About as close as I'll get to homemade. I personally don't like baking, but it seems to be hereditary lol
    My parents don't like doing it and my siblings don't like doing it either.
    I do like cooking though. Just not baking.

Anyway as for icing... I usually don't mind it as long there isn't too much of it, as in like, too thick a layer of icing. A thin layer is perfectly fine with me.

My favorite cake is whipped cream cake and afaik there's no icing on it. Just whipped cream.
    Well by default anyway. You can have the crushed nuts on the outer edge replaced with icing.

Last edited:
    Years

Nuts are fine with me in baking. I mentioned before that my favorite pie is pecan, but I also like peanut butter cookies brownies with walnuts are good. As for a cake, the recipe that I use to make apple cake calls for sliced almonds or almond extract. So crushed nuts on the whipped cream poses no problem.

I don't know if this counts as cake, or if it's in another category, but I like the Christmas puddings from the United Kingdom. I have ordered some during the holiday season, and the one I had last year definitely had nuts mixed in there with the dried fruits and spices. Was nice.

Years

I find it hard to tell tbh... the texture of the inside reminds me more of something like a pound cake or bunt cake... just more... coarse? Not entirely sure that's the right word...
    Spoiler:

Never had these... some of the ones in Google Images look pretty good. 🤤

Years

I am enjoying how this conversation is expanding to all sorts of different desserts from around the globe.

I think it looks like a cake or ginerbread in pictures. The shell-like shape is really firm in a way that you might not expect though, and it has a density that isn't like any cake and bread that I know of, but I don't how else exactly to classify it at the moment. It's good though, it's not hard despite what i just said, it's actually super moist all over, it tastes like like there's maple syrup, honey, molasses, or agave sticking to it. It has a overall a really rich flavor, exactly what's in it varies, but it will be lots of different spices like ginger, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, usually citrus peel fruits and other dried fruits like bits of cherries or currants. I think you would like it.

The traditional ones have brandy in them and will be lit on fire, and though light show it can generate looks really cool, I wasn't about to burn down my house trying to do this though.

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years

I've actually had one of those when i lived in England, they are called christmas pudding, And they are quite good! they are normally alcoholic, but you burn the alcohol off.
    There also pretty much a british christmas symbol

Years

I made a strawberry galette today. I hear that it's my best one yet. I am really infatuated with this type of pie, and am going to keep experimenting with all sorts of different flavors.

I wonder what will be a good fruit to put in the next one...🤔

Years

I haven't had the blackberry galette yet, thanks for giving me a brand new suggestion now!!

Also I found out that actress Jennifer Garner is a fan of pie. On her Instagram account there was a recipe for strawberry chiffon pie. I have never made this one before either, but it looks like it could be a winner.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back