• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    @xenocrates: sorry for the spamming i deleted the post
    @ dawning mew: Hey I'm A GIMP User Too! xP...the lighting effects look good and the splatters are cool...its a bit plain though and i can hardly make out the writing Overall Good Job!=D
    Here is my latest creation(again GIMP OWNZ I WILL ALWAYS USE IT, unless of course i can afford photoshop, proabbly wont because i am too cheap lol)

Comments And Criticism ARE VERY WELCOME!~xD:)
    EDIT: I followed peoples advice on the stroking..and i looked at a text blending tut...but it didnt work out did it?

Last edited:

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Hitsugaya; OHMAHGAWH, I SO WANTED TO USE THIS RENDER BUT YOU KILLLLEDDDD MY MOMENTUM!!! ;;
    lul, that sounded familiar... xD

Anywhoo~

Dawning Mew;; Hmm... The spatters look pretty interesting. Although, the colour scheme used for the background seems quite odd, and it doesn't match the render. The font used it ever-so-slightly hard to read the text. And I see the render's edges are quite blurred... I don't know whether it was like that originally, or you attempted to blend the image into the background. Oh, and the render is of a questionable quality. Although, it's good that you managed to make a decent banner with it. Overall, it's nice, but as Demidian has said, it is quite plain.

Demidian;; I might actually try out GIMP, if I get the chance to. Although, I'm quite comfortable with Photoshop, so, I don't know...

Anyway, this is possibly the best work I've seen from you (well, I just took a glance at your showcase, eheh). I like the render you used; it's pretty cool ^^ The background effects are really nice, and sort of look like shattered ice/glass, which then sort of matches the character of Hitsugaya. However, the smooth lines and colours of the render then doesn't completely match the somewhat messier effects of the background. The text is positioned quite strangely, in my opinion. And no, the text blending didn't work ^^;; (not that I knew what it looked like before)... And, erm, basically, I'd say you need to work on blending the image onto the banner, so it doesn't look like it was simply pasted on there.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    Demidian;; I might actually try out GIMP, if I get the chance to. Although, I'm quite comfortable with Photoshop, so, I don't know...

Anyway, this is possibly the best work I've seen from you (well, I just took a glance at your showcase, eheh). I like the render you used; it's pretty cool ^^ The background effects are really nice, and sort of look like shattered ice/glass, which then sort of matches the character of Hitsugaya. However, the smooth lines and colours of the render then doesn't completely match the somewhat messier effects of the background. The text is positioned quite strangely, in my opinion. And no, the text blending didn't work ^^;; (not that I knew what it looked like before)... And, erm, basically, I'd say you need to work on blending the image onto the banner, so it doesn't look like it was simply pasted on there.
    Yeah I am getting better aren't i..thanks..i like the render to :P, yeah i found this really cool brush set :), hmm..could you give me hints of how to blend the render in and the text...i know now that i need to work on those two alot. :P

Xoo

bam, baby!
    Years
  • ^.^; I use GIMP to, and I'm stuck with the fact that I can't make banners worth crud. At least not as good as you can.
    Anyways, latest creation rate please.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Myokai; I don't really like a lot of things. I don't like how the image suddenly cuts off, that basically screams "It ended here and I didn't know what to do with it." The text stands out too much, and the black stuff around it doesn't fit at all. Hitsugaya's skin is really dark with the monochrome colors of the banner as well, and due to the pretty much two colored banner, the black just sticks out even more. I just don't like the border at all, nor do I like the scratchy stuff.

It's not a terrible banner, as I've seen worse, but I just don't really like it myself. xD; I don't really know to what extent you can do things with GIMP though, as since I've got photoshop, I really don't find a need to get GIMP. Until they find a way to outstrip Photoshop somehow. xD;

--

Well.... they looked good on the Mac resolution at school when I made them... but they look terrible on my resolution. xD Too bright/dark, respectively.
    Spoiler:

Neither of them have borders because I'm lame and add borders on MS Paint usually, and Macs don't have MS Paint. (I do dislike Macs so very much. =A=)

The swirl around his arm is me having finally figured out how to use the pen tool, thanks to a mix betwen Shira-chan's pen tutorial and someone's inking tutorial on dA. xD Thank you muchly. *bow* So, if your color resolution is like the Macs at our school, then by all means, say anything you like, but if they look weird and blinding, or if the scanlines on the Devil May Cry banner look really dark, well... you don't have the right resolution, so any comments about the color layers will be ignored~ <3

Re-making the Ichigo banner after I type this out. xD;

Edit; Re-made!

Spoiler:

Which one do you think looks better? The one with texture (the one on top) or the one without? (the one on the bottom is without.) Comments and ratings are much appreciated~ <3

Last edited:

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
  • hello I've been getting into graphics my self I'm starting at a basic level, how's this for a beginer...

Nephenne Set:
    Spoiler:

Soren Set:
    Spoiler:

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Dimidian;; I think you're better off looking for some image blending tutorials yourself, since I find it really difficult to explain things. And I don't know GIMPs functions, so... :| There should be some on the internet, though.

Xenocrates;; I am absolutely jealous of your text skills. Truly amazing ~<3 I don't think I should be rating the first two, since they do look a bit too bright/dark on my screen's resolution... But I think I'll rate the Devil May Cry one, based on effects and such. And I'll just rate the final two versions of the Ichigo banner.

Nero (that's his name, I think) - I was totally thinking of using that image, but I guess I didn't end up doing so... Anyway, very nice pen tooling. I'm glad that my tutorial helped ^^ The pen tooling adds that extra 'oooh' effect to the banner. It simply emphasises the whole glowing arm thing he has. The smudging is really nice, with the hints of blue to match the arm, and everything. It looks really great. And, er, I can't say much more, I guess.

Ichigo - I slightly prefer the one without the texture (it looks 'cleaner' than the other one), although both look really amazing. The smudging is excellent, and the text is awesome <3 The banner has great depth, as well, and I really like those circle things in the background. The scan lines stand out just enough so that it helps out with the flow of the banner. Oh, and I like the choice of border. My one little complaint, though, is that Ichigo's face looks a bit too blurred. Oh (make that two complaints now), and under his arm, it looks like there is a black splodge. Although it isn't that obvious, unless you stare at the banner for a couple of minutes O_o

Flareblade (gosh, I'm much too nice to skip on rating banners);; Your banners aren't too bad, for a beginner. Just a question: what program do you use? Anyway, I'll get to rating then. Oh, and I'm going to focus on rating the banners, if you don't mind.

Nephenne - The edges of the image are reeeeeaaaaally rough. I mean, I can see white all around the person. The background is simplistic, but the colours match the image. The text colours match as well, which is nice, but the font and the positioning of the text are somewhat strange.

Soren - This one is better, in my opinion. The colours and the background is okay, but those bright green brush things take the eyes away from the image. Text positioning on this one is better, and the choice of font is okay, but now the colour of the text is too dark, compared to the rest of the banner.

---

I have a new banner to be rated. I was bored, and I played around with a stock image I found. It's sort of a work-in-progress (since I need to fill up that gap to the right of the banner), but whatever...:

Comments and ratings will be appreciated ^^ Oh, and suggestions on how to fill up the space would be nice, too.

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
    Years
  • Shiranui, as always, I LOVE your work. It's from House, isn't it? I've just started watching the show, so I'm not too sure. I like how the background almost looks desert-y, and it kind of matches his jacket. Also neat how it looks like his shoulder is dissolving. Choice of text is nice.
    9/10 [though once you get the empty space filled, I'm sure it will be a perfect 10.]

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you for the comment, Trainer Kat. And yes, it's House. I just got into it a few months ago, and it's definitely cool. And, yeah, I like the shoulder-dissolving thing, too. I was just experimenting with a couple of stuff. Oh, and I think I wont end up touching that banner for a while, until I think of something good to make it look less empty.

---

Oh, and I have a new banner:

Ginko, from Mushishi. And, er, yep. Comment/rate/whatever :3

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    @Myokai: I just had to rate yours because you use gimp as well :P....i like the texture effects you've used and i think it actually sort of gives hitsugaya a cool feel....AND YOU ARE LIKE ME! NEEDING TO WORK ON TEXT! (except im worse because im bad at blending renders as well xD) i like the border as well....OVERALL GOOD JOB! :P Especially for a gimper like me! AND YES YOU CAN MAKE GOOOD BANNERS! :P Oh BTW 8/10!
    @shiranui: i guess i have to rate yours now ...V.V *says in down mood* I'M JUST KIDDING YOUR WAY BETTER AT GRAPHICS THAN ME! I like the Textures you've used to cover over your render.. and the render is blended in well! (unlike mine :( ) and it also suits it. 8/10 for me ! ^^~

Xoo

bam, baby!
    Years
  • Thanks. ;) I'm having some trouble rendering stuff, though. Is there something that does that? Anyways, made a new banner and it's kinda similar to the last one I made. You like it?

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    @Myokai: Yes It is a bit similar But i like it More! not much to say...except i wish i could take your skills as my own then i would be a lot better :P BTW, you can use gimp to render stuff..search on google probably something like GIMP RENDERING TUTORIAL, or GIMP VECTORING TUTORIAL. something close to that ;)

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
  • Flareblade (gosh, I'm much too nice to skip on rating banners);; Your banners aren't too bad, for a beginner. Just a question: what program do you use? Anyway, I'll get to rating then. Oh, and I'm going to focus on rating the banners, if you don't mind.

Nephenne - The edges of the image are reeeeeaaaaally rough. I mean, I can see white all around the person. The background is simplistic, but the colours match the image. The text colours match as well, which is nice, but the font and the positioning of the text are somewhat strange.

Soren - This one is better, in my opinion. The colours and the background is okay, but those bright green brush things take the eyes away from the image. Text positioning on this one is better, and the choice of font is okay, but now the colour of the text is too dark, compared to the rest of the banner.

---

I have a new banner to be rated. I was bored, and I played around with a stock image I found. It's sort of a work-in-progress (since I need to fill up that gap to the right of the banner), but whatever...:

Comments and ratings will be appreciated ^^ Oh, and suggestions on how to fill up the space would be nice, too.

I use GIMP its pretty easy to use...

@Makoi I like it.. colors match and its kewl...

Xoo

bam, baby!
    Years
  • @Myokai: Yes It is a bit similar But i like it More! not much to say...except i wish i could take your skills as my own then i would be a lot better :P BTW, you can use gimp to render stuff..search on google probably something like GIMP RENDERING TUTORIAL, or GIMP VECTORING TUTORIAL. something close to that ;)

I found one, but I really stink at it. I need to practice, like, a lot. :P Does anyone think I should do an Ichigo banner?

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • @Shira - The colors are too bland, and all those textures set to lighten are killing me. Use gradient maps to fix those colors.
    @Myokai - The border around it is far too thick. The blue streaks would look better in isolated places, like his eyes, for example. It would look better without text.

Me time:
    or

Not sure how I feel about this one. :x

evilcheese

God I am so freakin lazy
    Years
  • @CME - the first time i saw those banners my eyes just popped! i preferably like the black and white and black one it matches the render a little more.

i kinda forgot i was suppose to have a banner ready so ill just get a somewhat old one.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • @ Evilcheese, I think it lacks text & a border

Ok so I got photoshop today & I was messing around with it & I made this,

Comments please?

Last edited:

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    @Kerox: it's a good banner for just messing around:P, i like the efect how the render is looking up with a powerful sort of look and the dark effects moving with him/her (i cant tell) but i can hardly read the text, overall GREAT JOB FOR A MESSING AROUND SESSION! 7.5/10:)
    I NOW INTRODUCE MY LATEST PRODUCTION(can get enough of gimp ;)):

tada, Uryaa Ishida from bleach!
    Comments Criticism VERY WELCOME:P~

@ Demidian: Pretty nice. You blended your render with the background verry well. Although I am not verry fond of the background itself. I mean it is a nice effect, but it looks a little to boring.

@ Evilcheese: The banner is lookin good. A few things I think is a little iffy tho. The render doesent exactly match the background color wise. I would put a gradient map on it and set it to soft light then lower the opacity, to kinda give it the same town. An other thing that is kinda not workin is the horizontal motion blur you did... I dunno it just makes it look like it is out of focus or something. Other then that I like it. Good background, and lighting.

@ Color Me Evil: OMG, I luv ur woorkk its teh awsomeness!!1!!!!!1111 Well anyhoot, they both look great, kuz lets face it you are a mean graphics maker. I like the second sig is really nice, but i think if you blended the render a little more near the bottom, the black and white effects will look much better. I also think that color, (maybe purple, or yellow) pen effects would be cool coming up from the bottom.

Uryū Ishida

Hishoku no Sora
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2009
    Thankyou! hmm when i work on another skill i fall back on another...that is odd but at least im working on blending, that was the whole point of the banner xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back