• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Empty Master

praetoritevong

Yuuzhan Vong Warmaster
    Years
    This was my first attempt at a fic, and I'd have to say so far, I like it. This is by far the shortest chapter out the nine I've written, but hey XD Oh well, enjoy reading, and there'll be more to come soon!

Ooh, I should probably post a little something else, because this is set before most fics... This should do it:

THE EMPTY MASTER

PROLOGUE

This Pokemon Fan Fiction is set before the time of Ash Ketchum, back when pokemon training, battling and breeding were still in their infancy. Nowadays, all beginning trainers must by law start off with a level 5 pokemon. At the time of this fic, this was not yet a law. In fact, it was around this time that a certain fiasco ocurred in the land of Johto, which was in fact to result in that law...

CHAPTER 1-A WANDERING SOUL

Mark Witsinski strutted over to his mirror, looking at his reflection. He liked what he saw. He combed his majestic blond hair, removed some eyelashes from his sparkling green eyes, and then combed his hair again. Mark had always loved himself. He was a tall and dashing young man. He made friends easily, and kept them easily too, despite his attitude, as most could not resist his smile, not even his grandfather.

He had one especially good ?friend?, Joseph Maros. Their friendship was not an equal one however. Joseph looked up to, and respected, Mark. Mark was the superhero, and saw Joseph as the useful sidekick, or the grunt, which did the boss?s bidding. Then again, recently Joseph had been less inclined to obey Mark. ?I don?t like this,? thought Mark. ?Joseph has recently been following me less, and come up with more ideas of his own. He?s been good at things I never knew he was.? Like the person he was, he hated not being the centre of attention. And these days Joseph was in his eyes the teacher?s pet. He was always tidy too, something Mark never was.

Looking around the room, he grimaced. His room was worse than usual. A half empty bottle of coke stood on top of his desk, along with his homework, and dozens of books. His bookshelf was a mess too, covered with slime and goo of every sort, and several post-it notes depicting his dream battles with Gym Leaders. In his wardrobe was every thingamajig imaginable. Toys, pens, paper, games, sweets, equipment of every kind. And the photo album, the only thing left with any connection to his parents lay open on the floor, several photos lying some distance from the album.

What had happened to his parents was a mystery. One day they were at home, the next day only his grandfather was here, who would only say that they had gone away. Although he would never admit it, people would tell you that he changed, just as quickly as his parents had left. In some ways, he was happy, in others, he was empty. Confused. He could not find his dream, as a teacher once told his grandfather. It was only in times of remembrance like this that any fragment of him was at peace, complete. There was a burning desire in him, wild and untamed. What he did with it was the key. Deep in thought, the sound made him react violently.

?Rrraaaaawwwwwkkkkkk! Rrraaaaawwwwwkkkkkkkk!? The shrill cry of the Fearow rang out, making Mark jump and hit his head on an ornamental shelf. With this, his moment of tranquility and peacefulness disappeared and his usual character emerged again. Seeing his grandfather?s Fearow, silhouetted by the lazy morning sun, he ran to the window and threw a slipper at it.

?Disturb me while I?m thinking will you, you stupid bird?! I always told Gramps to put you in a cage, and now he?ll have to listen!? he shouted.

?Rrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwkkkkkkkkk!? came the screeching reply. With that, it started ignoring Mark and preening itself. Needless to say, this made Mark a tad angry.

?I don?t care what you want, I?m going to be a trainer today after I pass the final test at the new Pokemon Trainer?s School here in New Bark Town, and you will obey my every command!? he yelled at the poor Fearow. ?Gramps is weak. What good are six level 60 plus pokemon if you they don?t obey you completely and you don?t use them? Gramps always wanted the ?simple life?. Pah! I?ll show him, and the world!? he muttered to himself.

For today was the day of his final exam which would get him his pokemon license. It was the tradition of the PTS for the students to fight their masters with their own pokemon, so that they would be better than the old generation. He smiled at the thought of their faces when they realised the power that he had. With that thought in mind, he packed for the day ahead.

After silently eating his breakfast, he roughly shook his grandfather to wake him up. ?What an idiot,? he thought. ?He?s like that guy in the lumberjack song, but not only does he sleep all night but he also sleeps all day! Gramps!? he yelled loudly. ?Get up and give me your six pokemon, and tell them to obey me like they obey you! Gramps! It?s my exam day today, so they?d better not make any mistakes! Gramps!

After what seemed like an age, his grandfather awoke. ?So this is how you treat an old man, after all he?s done for you?? he wheezed. ?When I was young, we never questioned our elders. They were our superiors. They expected our obedience. It seems the young are getting more and more unruly these days! And the name?s Paul, not Gramps!? He stopped tiredly and waited. ?Well?? he asked after a few seconds, still feeling exhausted.

Mark simply gave his most charming smile, knowing full well his grandfather would do as he wanted. ?Of course Gramps. You know what I want, Gramps.? He said, still smiling, more gently, but waiting for the effect of his smile. Paul must have been sleepier or more tired than usual, because it only took a moment to convince him. Indeed, at closer inspection, he looked paler, and more frail than usual. In his mind, Mark started to feel anxious, though he would never admit it to anyone, not even to himself privately. He tried to console himself by thinking that of course he was all right; he was just more tired than usual.

Paul interrupted his thoughts, slowly saying "Yes, yes?. Of course I know.? He sighed. ?And it?s Paul! Now, here are my pokeballs, remember, you?ll need to polish them so that they are as shiny as my trophies there. Always use??.? He stopped as he noticed his beloved pokeballs weren?t in his hand anymore. Then he heard the front door being opened, and Mark?s usual ?bye Gramps!? Paul lay down again, proclaiming ?youths!? before falling asleep once more.

Keep an eye over here for more of The Empty Master!

Back