• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Super Mario Bros RPG!!

Waudby

Hey guys. Ive taken a long break on Pokemon Opal. And out of bordom, i decided to make a side scrolling rpg in sphere. I thought the best way to go was a mario since its old stuff was side scrolling.

The main story line here is that, Bowser has taken Princess Peach and locked her away, and Mario is left to fight off the swarms of enemies Bowser left to stop him. Mario has to also collect enoough Stars to get into the palace where Bowser is keeping Princess Peach.

There will also be a few side quests. It will feature collecting items and finding people etc.

At the moment i have 2 levels finished. I will release a small demo of these levels soon. As soon as i finish the battle system.

This mainly follows most Mario games. But with the twist of it being a sidescrolling rpg, so heres where the rpg side kicks in. Instead of just jumping on the enemies to kill them, jumping on them brings in the rpg style battle system which we all love.

Features

- CBS
    - Message system
    - Jumping System
    - Item System

Well heres some screenshots please tell me what you think.

Super Mario Bros RPG!!

I'm still finishing the bottom image and it will feature lives, level, and experience etc

If you wish to contribute to this game please inform me via email etc.

-EDIT-

A quick update already, i have started work on my battle system. Its currently in its basic form. I can attack and run but thats it and also i can be attacked to and die.

Super Mario Bros RPG!!

Last edited:

Chaos_Pikachu

Chaotic Pikachu
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Dec 6, 2007
    Well since no one has posted i might as well.

It looks pretty cool but why have text appear up top in battle when thers a text box at bottom? And are you going to add towns or such like side scolling stuff like hit up when in front of a door and enter the house? that would be neat. Also why not add more then a few quests and make the game longer that way? Anyways i couldent learn sphere so im not sure if much is possible but so far it looks pretty good and interesting. and one more sudgestion add shops to buy mushrooms and fire flowers for coins you collect in levels to use to enchance in battles like have mario able to shoot fire when he has used a fire flower or make him able to double jump on the enemy when using a mushroom etc.

I hope my sudgestions help. And i cant wait for the demo

zidanes

Greatest Of All Time
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2007
    Hey this game looks pretty good. It kind of reminds me of paper mario and the original super mario RPG.

Waudby

Yeah right now im just adding the houses etc in, but the hard bit is getting graphics done as these have to be custom so if any1 would like to help me feel free to say. This is now turning into a major project of mine with a lot of work being done on it.

-Waudby-

FireMeowth

May Fan
    Years
    It looks quite cool, and I'd like to see this game completed (but I'd also like to see Pokemon Opal completed (just spent 1 hour and 32 minutes reading through the pages on the Pokemon Opal thread.)). Keep up the good work. ( and try to get the Pokemon Opal demo out soon.. I'm sure that many people miss the game.)

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Well, I can definitely say we need a mario game around here. I started making one in gamemaker, but I had problems with the graphics. The graphics were too small, about half the size they're supposed to be. But, if I stretch them out, they look like crap.

Anyways, this game looks good and very promising.

Waudby

Thanks FireMeowth. Im currently making other games to help build my skills so Opal will be as best it can be. This game has helped alot. Im currently looking for a decent spriter to help make me some custom gfx. If your interested please pm me.

-Waudby-

Chaos_Pikachu

Chaotic Pikachu
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Dec 6, 2007
    im not the best spriter but i can try. if you ask i shall try to make it. just pm me

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Well I guess it seems alright, and it reminds me of Zelda 2 in a way.

However, from your description so far it seems that your story isn't very original. At the very least, you should definitely consider putting in more sidequests.

sketch

3D animator/movie director
    Years
    • Age 31
    • LA
    • Seen Apr 14, 2014
    Hey Waudby, great idea!Can't wait to see some more (and a demo,lol)!I'm glad to see more people are standing up and making non-pokemon games.I was getting tired of too many!Well,Keep up the great work.

Waudby

Hey this game has no been closed. Avatar can u close this please.

Thanks

-Waudby-

Waudby

@ Har D har: I might re open this game in time, but it was just an attempt at trying sumthin out. And thought u guys would like to know about. SO be patient. this isnt the last of the game.

-Waudby-

Back