• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sonic Advance 3 Hacking

Years
    hello.

i own and play sonic advance 3 a lot and i was slightly dissapointed at a few things.

1) how you cant play as super sonic in levels when you get all the emeralds.

2) the only characters were sonic, tails, knuckles, amy and cream.

i am not looking for gameshark codes to change things because they dont have the same feeling.

now i read on one thread on here that you can expand a pokemon rom to add more pokemon and i thought would it be possible to expand a sonic rom to add more characters?

once expanded i would then try to copy the sonic art to a new directory and set the art pointer for the new character to that particualr directory. Then edit the art to make it look more like a different character, e.g shadow.

i was just wondering if this would actually be possible and would i need like uber uber hacking knowledge to be able to do it.

thank you all

pokev

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Well thats a good idea.
    But i dont think theres a software that can help you

nrox653

What should I put here...
    Years
    There's definitely no program dedicated to hacking Sonic games (though I think there are ones that edit the games for the Genesis).

The only thing I could suggest is reverse-engineer and figure out the coding for the Sonic games, and then use a hex editor to change data and Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro to change the graphics.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
    Probably you won't need to expand the rom, as it may have lots of unused space like the pokemon roms.

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
    Years
    Man if we can hack some more games rather than just Pokemon games. Man I'd make a hack of Kingdom Hearts. Lol :D

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Man if we can hack some more games rather than just Pokemon games. Man I'd make a hack of Kingdom Hearts. Lol :D
    Well, why can't you? Pokemon hacking had to start somewhere, right? It started with a person just like you who wanted to make their favorite game even better. Just spend some time studying it's code and available images. Look at the difference between the English and Japanese values. Just, try and you might be suprised by what you can learn.

The same goes for the Sonic Hacking. Even though I already noticed someone posted a link, just try and see what you can find out. As for adding Sonic characters the same way we add pokemon characters, I doubt, severely, that this would work. Just keep at it!

spenceroone3

<he eats lots of burgers.
    Years
    If there was a game I wanted to hack but had no tools for, I follow this procedure:

1a. First open it in TLP and edit it's graphics, or just have a look at them.
    1b. Decompile some scripts and see what you can make out of it. It might look a little wonky (E.G starting with Lock before #org lol) but it may give you some meaning.

2. Now that you have analyzed it, have some fun with it!

3. Post it on hacks showcase! I've seen a couple of Non-Pokemon hacks up there!

Back