• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~ School ~ Needed or Not? ~

School, Needed or Not

• Total voters
Years
  • That's quite enough of the insults from you four, scythemaster, AnimeDDR110, Penguinpal6 and Phrase. You're not getting anywhere with those insolent comments other than a ticket down warningville. Have you all forgotten a rule of the forum? "Everybody is to respect other people on the board."? You four have all been reported doing exactly otherwise.

I don't want another bit of bashing and disrespect from ANYONE in this topic. Members mentioned in this post shall be getting a warning each for disrespect. Let it happen again and you will face dire consequences.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • School is defiantly important. Without it you wouldn't be able to get good jobs. I don't find school that boring. It just depends on the people at the school. Mine has some good people and some that are annoying.

Capin' Keanan

I Have No Boat. :(
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2007
    It depends.

If there where no Jobs in the world and everything was free, then no, there is no need for school.

But there isn't and everything is not free, so yes, it is needed.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Awwwwweee. I'm half-asleep, have been up at a sleepover, and haven't slept in 27 hours. I come back about a half a day later, and my arguement with TD is over. :( XD Well, I just want to say something. I do overexagerate. So that thing about dinosaur age was actually just a joke. I do believe we would still make discoveries, just we'd each have to do so individually. I don't think one person has discovered on their own, everything known to man right now, in a life-time. I exagerated a lot I know. I'm just trying to make the most sense of what I know as a 13 year old. I'm only going into 8th grade, so I don't know all this crap about discoveries, so I have no names of people who made amazing discoveries. But let me ask you this, do you think that people would be able to discover on their own, the things we learn in what, 12-18 years of school? We probably would know more in 1st grade than we would on our own. (exagerating but still. It's kinda weird to think that school didn't exist. XD Sorry to tick you off so badly, I was just trying my best as a 13 year old to put up a good argument, so I tried.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    Awwwwweee. I'm half-asleep, have been up at a sleepover, and haven't slept in 27 hours. I come back about a half a day later, and my arguement with TD is over. :( XD Well, I just want to say something. I do overexagerate. So that thing about dinosaur age was actually just a joke. I do believe we would still make discoveries, just we'd each have to do so individually. I don't think one person has discovered on their own, everything known to man right now, in a life-time. I exagerated a lot I know. I'm just trying to make the most sense of what I know as a 13 year old. I'm only going into 8th grade, so I don't know all this crap about discoveries, so I have no names of people who made amazing discoveries. But let me ask you this, do you think that people would be able to discover on their own, the things we learn in what, 12-18 years of school? We probably would know more in 1st grade than we would on our own. (exagerating but still. It's kinda weird to think that school didn't exist. XD Sorry to tick you off so badly, I was just trying my best as a 13 year old to put up a good argument, so I tried.)
    You consider that an argument? o_O;

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
  • Hmmmmmm................nevermind.......:( No one understands what I'm saying........I'll go die now. XD JK-ing. Argument. <(hope that link is ok mods....)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Anyhow, I'm a member of the "older members for school" thought line. When I was younger, I wanted to avoid school like it was the home of the Plague. I didn't though.

School teaches many fascinating subjects. That's why I kind of laugh at those who say that one should only learn subjects suited toward their job. I want to be a copywriter, so I guess I could have stopped going to school once I learned basic grammar, neh? But I didn't. And right now, I'm going for an English degree, and am taking classes in Art History, Geography, and History. None of those classes are needed for my career, but I still take them. They're fascinating subjects to me. That's another good thing about school: You learn many interesting facts that would make the world more interesting and opens your mind.

So yeah, school is important. Without it, I wouldn't have the hopes that I will be out of my minimum-wage job and doing a job that I would love.

Best of all, its free.
    College. It's expensive. And that's just the classes. Toss in books and other supplies as well.

And I don't remember who posted it, but Charlemagne didn't invent school. The Romans and Greeks had schools long before Charlemagne was born. :/

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    All the people who voted that school is unnecessary need to be rounded up and shot for their anti-intellectualism. That should speak volumes as to where my allegiances lie in this debate.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • now i respect your decision, but don't you think if you know everything and your learning things that you aren't goona use later in life, that school is just a waste of time from that point on?
    I don't mean to bring up an old argument, but I didn't want to leave this one here and I mean this post in the most polite way possible:

How do you know that you aren't going to use it later in life? You're still only 12. I don't mean that in any rude sense, but it's true. In the future, you may not have a need for every single thing you're learning right now, but you never know where life will take you. Maybe one day you WILL be using all these things, or maybe not. You can't know yet because you've still got your whole life ahead of you.

Schools have been used in society for a long time now, and governments and school boards work together to decide when something should be learnt and/or built upon. So while a lot of the things you learn seem "useless," they wouldn't teach them for no reason. There is method to their madness, so you've just gotta keep an open mind when it comes to education. Your teachers and schools just want to prepare you for life so that you're ready to take on anything in your future career, no matter what you choose to do. ;)

Gunn Yoshiaki said:
    I wasn't even talking about college. Most schools that are open to the public are free, as in use of textbooks, classroom lectures, food and entrance to that school.
    I've never been to a school (public or otherwise) that provided free food. Cafeteria foods were separate and if you couldn't/wouldn't pay, you had to bring a lunch from home. :x

Lash

Years
  • Personally, I think school is a huge part of a person's life. Lately, I have been learning this, though I am only 14.
    People might think that I am one to talk, well, those who know that I am suppose to be in 9th grade, but I failed 8th grade so I have to repeat it. In spite of that however, I have to go to an Alternative school that lets one advance at their own level, and I am doing rather well at the school.
    Without a proper education like the one I am currently getting at this new school, getting to work on my High School credits, puts a really good word in for High School, and eventually for a good job in the future. There may be those who say that school is pointless, however without it, without getting a proper education, there is absolutely no promise for a good futere, not much anyway, most likely at McDonalds >.>;;

To cut down to the chase, I think school is basically a major requirement for a good futere. You need the education. You can't just get out of it free. School is needed.

AnimeDDR110

Twizzers!
    Years
  • I don't mean to bring up an old argument, but I didn't want to leave this one here and I mean this post in the most polite way possible:

How do you know that you aren't going to use it later in life? You're still only 12. I don't mean that in any rude sense, but it's true. In the future, you may not have a need for every single thing you're learning right now, but you never know where life will take you. Maybe one day you WILL be using all these things, or maybe not. You can't know yet because you've still got your whole life ahead of you.

Schools have been used in society for a long time now, and governments and school boards work together to decide when something should be learnt and/or built upon. So while a lot of the things you learn seem "useless," they wouldn't teach them for no reason. There is method to their madness, so you've just gotta keep an open mind when it comes to education. Your teachers and schools just want to prepare you for life so that you're ready to take on anything in your future career, no matter what you choose to do. ;)

I've never been to a school (public or otherwise) that provided free food. Cafeteria foods were separate and if you couldn't/wouldn't pay, you had to bring a lunch from home. :x

yes this is not a fight but i'm just saying that i've heard from teachers that about 80% of the stuff you learn in most classes you won't use later in life. thats it.

Hero of Time Link³

KFC's 33rd Employee
    Years
  • Well I for one am saying school is needed because if you didn't have it "you would be the hobo living under the bridge"(quoted from my teacher). I am good at school and my school has a homework system probably different to yours,It is: if you don't finish some classwork that is due to finish on that day you take it home.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    School is totally needed. To survive in the real world, you got to have a education. Nowadays, you have to have a college degree to get a great paying job. Before it was a high school diploma, not anymore. No one will hire you if you don't have the proper education.

So stay at school. It will be worth it in the long run. And school isn't bad. Of course when I was at school, I didn't like getting up early(especially on a Monday). But that is just life...once you go it isn't so bad. And it is fun to learn great things. And plus you will get to see your friends! ^^ *sigh* I totally miss it.

*needs to go back to college* =p

Last edited:
    Back