• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

rate my very first team

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    i just started today and i just had my first battle.. and I WON! granted i almost lost.. my electrode and gengar were pretty useless -_-;;

help my team get better please, or teach me how to utilize my talents. thanx a lot.

i like to start with a fast pokemon because whoever attacks first gets an edge early on, which may determine the entire outcome of the battle. so i use:
    Electrode@lefties
    timid nature(-att, +speed)
    hp 129, speed 252, spatt 129
    hp grass
    substitute
    taunt
    thunderbolt
    -i do not know how to utilize him properly.. but i think he's suppose to be pretty good. he was useless in my first battle though..

Venasaur@lefties
    careful nature
    hp 129, att 123, def 129, spdef 129
    earthquake
    leech seed
    sleep powder
    sludgebomb

blastoise@lefties
    bold
    hp 252, def 129, spdef 129
    haze
    ice beam
    surf
    yawn
    -turns out this set is not too great as my blastoise did not have the staying power i had hoped it had.

charizard@lefties <-- so many lefties.. perhaps cheap but oh well
    jolly
    att 252, sp 252, hp 6
    aerial ace <-- thinking rockslide instead
    dragon dance
    earthquake
    overheat
    this charizard turned out surprisingly strong. not much staying power but plenty of arsenal.

gengar@choice band
    adamant
    hp6, att 252, sp 252
    brick break
    explosion
    shadowball
    sludgebomb
    was also quite useless.. sludgebomb and shawdow ball did some damage but i didn't feel like i used him effectively.

snorlax@lefties
    sassy
    hp252, def 129, spdef 129
    curse
    earthquake
    rest
    shadowball-perhaps my strongest. unluckily he got frozen but he was defrosted by either ho-ho's fire attacks.. or rest.. im not sure which. but he ultimately won the battle for me.

thanx for the input guys.

Years
    This is NetBattle, right?

Electrode: I think thats similar to the late LHs tauntadrode, and it was a very good pogey according to others

Venasaur: I dont use Venasaur, but its got leech seed and sludge bombso it cant be too bad :classic:

Blastoise: Meh, crap set, no offense. Try mirrior coat or counter/ice beam or surf/rapid spin/ice beam or surf

Charazard: @Salac berry. Nice set, but rock slide deffently over aa

Gengar: Crappiest. Set. EVER

Gengar (M) @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 240 Atk / 252 Spd / 18 SAtk
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Focus Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt

Snorlax:Return>Earthquake. ALWAYS.

Nice team

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    Alexander the great v2 said:
    This is NetBattle, right?

Electrode: I think thats similar to the late LHs tauntadrode, and it was a very good pogey according to others

well, i'm just starting to learn how to utilize him i think. very often the opponent enters the battle and they want to set up, and taunt really throws them off. sub breaks too easily though, imo. often i'd just sub and then it breaks when the enemy hits. i like this electrode to a certain extent and hpgrass catches a lot of pokemon by surprise, but i wonder if i can us hp ice instead? you know, so i have an edge over ground types as well as grass.

Venasaur: I dont use Venasaur, but its got leech seed and sludge bombso it cant be too bad :classic:

Blastoise: Meh, crap set, no offense. Try mirrior coat or counter/ice beam or surf/rapid spin/ice beam or surf
    so basically just take off yawn and haze for mirror coat and counter should work?

Charazard: @Salac berry. Nice set, but rock slide deffently over aa
    i agree =0=;

Gengar: Crappiest. Set. EVER

Gengar (M) @ Salac Berry
    EVs: 240 Atk / 252 Spd / 18 SAtk
    - Focus Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    this set looks promising(a lot more than mine). my gengar was not that bad but choice band bit my *ss a couple times because i couldn't switch my attacks.

Snorlax:Return>Earthquake. ALWAYS.
    i know return is a great attack on snorlax.. but snorlax doesn't need to sweep. he has plenty of arsenal and is a great tank. i just though earthquake may serve a purpose as to cover some of his weaknesses(though i guess shadow ball can do some damage against ground types).

Nice team

thanx for your help. i think my team should be much stronger now.

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    c_dog said:
    i just started today and i just had my first battle.. and I WON! granted i almost lost.. my electrode and gengar were pretty useless -_-;;

help my team get better please, or teach me how to utilize my talents. thanx a lot.

i like to start with a fast pokemon because whoever attacks first gets an edge early on, which may determine the entire outcome of the battle. so i use:
    Electrode@lefties
    timid nature(-att, +speed)
    hp 129, speed 252, spatt 129
    hp grass
    substitute
    taunt
    thunderbolt
    -i do not know how to utilize him properly.. but i think he's suppose to be pretty good. he was useless in my first battle though..

Nice but, to make your subs less breakable you mght want to try these EVs out:

EVs: 82 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk

Venasaur@lefties
    careful nature
    hp 129, att 123, def 129, spdef 129
    earthquake
    leech seed
    sleep powder
    sludgebomb

Again Evs are a little shaky

I like this one:

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 HP / 162 Def / 96 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Magical Leaf
    - Leech Seed

If you like the physical set just switch Modest to Adamant and use those EVs

blastoise@lefties
    bold
    hp 252, def 129, spdef 129
    haze
    ice beam
    surf
    yawn
    -turns out this set is not too great as my blastoise did not have the staying power i had hoped it had.

This one works:

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 110 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Surf/Haze
    - Mirror Coat
    - Ice Beam
    - Rapid Spin

charizard@lefties <-- so many lefties.. perhaps cheap but oh well
    jolly
    att 252, sp 252, hp 6
    aerial ace <-- thinking rockslide instead
    dragon dance
    earthquake
    overheat
    this charizard turned out surprisingly strong. not much staying power but plenty of arsenal.

Same object, better set:

Charizard (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 146 Atk / 112 Spd / 252 SAtk
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Belly Drum
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide/ Hidden Power[Flying]
    - Overheat

gengar@ choice band
    adamant
    hp6, att 252, sp 252
    brick break
    explosion
    shadowball
    sludgebomb
    was also quite useless.. sludgebomb and shawdow ball did some damage but i didn't feel like i used him effectively.

lol WTF, I belive that is a smogon fun set:

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 136 Atk / 252 Spd / 122 SAtk
    - Focus Punch
    - Giga Drain/Ice Punch/Hidden Power[Grass]
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt

snorlax@lefties
    sassy
    hp252, def 129, spdef 129
    curse
    earthquake
    rest
    shadowball-perhaps my strongest. unluckily he got frozen but he was defrosted by either ho-ho's fire attacks.. or rest.. im not sure which. but he ultimately won the battle for me.

=/ Hate the Evs but, curselax is more of: what works for you?

return over Earthquake or Shadow Ball. Either way something is going to give you a problem. Either Gengar or Rock Types aregoing to give you a problem so look at your team and choose wisely.

thanx for the input guys.

BTW you need HP: Ice on an Electrode as it doesn't have the SpAtk to take down a Swampert anyway you might as well drop some Salamence.

Jolteon on the other hand can OHKO Salamence after a petaya berry with T-bolt, electrode is less fortunate

Years
    Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 68 SAtk / 190 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Counter/Mirrior Coat
    - Ice Beam
    - Rapid Spin
    - Surf

Thats standered, not too sure bout the evs, tho.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    thanx for the feedback husk, it's greatly appreciated. couple things though.. well, i'm not too fond of bellyzard to tell you the truth. when you do belly drum you're pretty much saying "kill me, i'm easy". charizard has crap defense and belly drum only gurantees OHKO. i did give it a try but really.. dang.. there's really no good time to use bellydrum.. never. i think the EV's should be good though so i'm going to try dragon dance with that set.

as for blastoise, when was the last time i needed rapid spin? never.. i think i'll probably fit something else in there.

and with the electrode you suggested a new EV set to boost the sub.. but so far the sub hasn't been any stronger. :S did you mean 252 on SDef instead of SAtt?

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    c_dog said:
    thanx for the feedback husk, it's greatly appreciated. couple things though.. well, i'm not too fond of bellyzard to tell you the truth. when you do belly drum you're pretty much saying "kill me, i'm easy". charizard has crap defense and belly drum only gurantees OHKO. i did give it a try but really.. dang.. there's really no good time to use bellydrum.. never. i think the EV's should be good though so i'm going to try dragon dance with that set.

as for blastoise, when was the last time i needed rapid spin? never.. i think i'll probably fit something else in there.

and with the electrode you suggested a new EV set to boost the sub.. but so far the sub hasn't been any stronger. :S did you mean 252 on SDef instead of SAtt?

Well I just wanted to add a little HP but, if the subs are still dying maybe you need a different pokemon for the job.

as for rapin spin, its a must need for the popular move: spikes.

if you find belly drum hard to set up you may want to switch overheat for sub.

sub+belly drum makes your salac berry activate making you faster than most things and giving you an attack that can kill most things. If you do then change the EVS to 146 HP/252 Atk/112 Spd

Chareon

&#20013;&#24515;
    Years
    My suggestion for Gengar:
    Gengar@Salac
    -Quiet
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Punch
    Destiny Bond
    Forcus punch is useless, in my oppinion, because you leave yourself open for attack and if you miss, you're gone. You're lucky if you get a hit, if your opponent doesn't take you out before then.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
    My suggestion for Gengar:
    Gengar@Salac
    -Quiet
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Punch
    Destiny Bond
    Forcus punch is useless, in my oppinion, because you leave yourself open for attack and if you miss, you're gone. You're lucky if you get a hit, if your opponent doesn't take you out before then.

hence substitute is stuck in there.
    Focus punch also gets blisseys,regi ice etc on the switch.
    If u want to use that set then quiet makes no sense.Use timid @ petaya or modest @ salac
    destiny bond works well with Salac

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    thanks for all the help guys. i've actually been winning most of my battles now. i still don't like the charizard too much.. he's got good speed so he's good for finishing off opponents but he's still missing the attack power to go up against anyone. belly drum hasn't work very well, and the sub which is suppose to buy him a turn to set up belly drum, breaks too easily. the sub allows him to avoid status effects as well, but let's face it.. when someone sees a charizard they're thinking "man, what a noob, OHKO for you" and use thunderbolt or rockslide or something. nobody ever tries to paralyze or put charizard to sleep or poison it or whatever, he's just not worth the extra turn when he can easily be wooped. belly drumming therefore just makes their job easier. seriously if it weren't for sentimental values charizard would not be on my team. i'd probably stick an OU tyranitar or something.

also i decided to drop sub and focus punch on gengar as well. like charizard his sub is useless, and focus punch doesn't do much with his crappy attack, so i just crank up his speed and SAtt and put in psychic and destiny bond. so far it's a lot better as he would kill a couple pokemon before going out with a bang.

as for blastoise.. i'm thinking of dropping rapid spin for counter. i've met some skarms, but really, the spikes hardly annoy me. venasaur can put skarm to sleep and charizard(for once) can finish him off. charizard's flying ability also helps him avoid he spikes, so blastoise, is not really needed. the spikes don't hurt that much anyway as most of my pokemon have lefties so they enter the battle relatively fresh. wasting a move slot for rapid spin on a fairly useless pokemon.. is not worth it. so i'll probably take it off. skarms are overrated, imo, as all they can ever do is spike spike spike, but aside from maybe drill peck and hidden power they don't have much of any aresenal and those attacks are fairly weak, imo.

i also tried a primeape with 291hp with sub and reversal, but after killing one pokemon they bring in tyranitar and sand storm kills him -_-;; it was inspired by the flailing dodrio who i met a couple times

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2010
    my name on netbattle is 3tl1 and i'm usually on the smogon server cuz it has a hella more ppl who are willing to fight me. what's yours?

husk1442

needs more [i]Mod[/i]
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 3, 2009
    husk1442 <-- How amazing

so I guess I'll meet you there, possibley

Back