• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Research & Development Thread

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
Change EXP gauge sound in:
FireRed
To Emerald, 0x6B5BF1: 48
Emerald
To FireRed, 0x8FC6AD: 0D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
Adjust delay frame on holding D-pad key.
FireRed
0x5C8: Delay when press and hold a D-pad key at first time, default is 28.
0x5C2: Delay Per Second, default is 05.
Unfortunately it doesn't work on any CFRU hack.
Emerald
0x5BE and 0x5C4
Unfortunately the two are different on any Decomp Emerald hack because they revamped ROM address.

Years
For Emerald to Increase Max Money Amount to match BW version:
Spoiler:

Credits:
JPAN for the original research
Turtl3skulll for writing the Fire Red's dummies tutorial
jiangzhengwenjzw for helping me to fix the 7 digit display problem

how about increasing the quantity per item in the bag sir?...ex Potionx999 instead of 99,,, thanks in advance,,

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
[EMERALD]
I couldn't find the answer to this on here, so I figured it out myself. If anyone's trying to get running shoes working inside and before Mum gives them to you at the start of the game...
Change 0x8AF84 from 14 D0 to 00 00
and Change 0x11A1E8 from 08 to 00

hope that helps someone!

Also, I can't get the National Dex fix that is in this thread working on Emerald, if anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen yesterday
DarkRed-2.png

Change Shop Price Display (FireRed)​
9B430: Number of digits to display
9B440: Number of digits to display
9B47A: X position of price
Found using pokefirered and HMA

Last edited:

JordanB500

Former Pokemon League Champion
Years
Hello I am asking this here since it seems too complex to ask anywhere else and also because I have not found any posts covering the subject, I wanted to know if it is possible to add the sound check(might be an asm routine) from the japanese version of pokemon emerald which was removed from the localized release of pokemon emerald. (https://tcrf.net/Pokémon_Emerald#Sound_Check)

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
Apologies if this has already been found/documented/fixed, but for those who are using Doesntknowhowtoplay's Physical/Special Split Patch, I found a small bug.

The feature where if a Pokemon hits a Frozen target with a Fire Type Move, the target will thaw out/defrost will not work if hit with a Physical Fire Type Move. This is because the routine which does this, activated in Battle Script Command 49 (what I call RunMoveEndRoutines), only checks for Special damage specifically.

To fix this, go to 0x080234DC in FireRed or 0804BE98 in Emerald and put 04 30 there instead of 0C 30. This will replace the line "add r0, r0, #0xC" with "add r0, r0, #0x4". This will cause the game to check for total damage (both Physical and Special) instead of just for Special Damage.

Likely the game assumed that since all Fire Type Moves were Special, only checking for Special Damage was sufficient.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen today
HM Flash Lightens Entire Screen [EM]

I may be several years late to this, but there is a much more simpler way of achieving this effect without interfering with Brawly's Gym which is pretty dependent on the values being changed here. As it turns out, it's handled directly by a script that is called when using Flash, and I just changed the script to how it is in FRLG.

Put 00 at 0x2926F9 and 0x2926FB

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
PCM volume, channel, and quality controller.
FireRed: 0x1DD0C8
Emerald: 0x2E0104
Vanilla value is 00 C5 94 00, what does they mean?
C5 can take two parts. C is PCM volume, 5 is PCM channels. Some hack increased channel to 12, so it would be CC.
94 can take two parts too. 9 is DAC bit (9 is 8-bit), on emulator it won't be noticed difference except E or F, PSG audio will quieter, especially Noise channel, some music use it as drum, just don't modify it. 4 is PCM quality, 1 is worst, C is best, E and F are laggy thus can't listen.
For those four value, 0 is not lowest, but somehow default. Volume is F, channel is 8, bit is 9, quality is 4.

Is it possible to improve PCM quality so music would listen better? Partially, unforunately.
For vanilla FR/EM soundfont, plus any hack uses vanilla one, increase PCM quality will make drum speed and pitch up.
For BW soundfont, just a few hack can take advantage of high PCM quality. Unbound OK, it even give an option to adjust quality (2 4 8). GS Chronicles OK. Though not suitable for playing game, because high PCM quality will cost more CPU cycle thus game will more laggy, it extremely suitable for GSF ripping. One more weird thing, 9~C & E~F will stuck at white screen. Other hack can't increase beyond 4, such as Saiph, Sors, Saiph 2, etc., really shame.
For custom soundfont, like Clover and SOTS, if increase quality won't distort drum, then it can be improved.

For Decomp Emerald hack, try searching 00 CC 94 00 to find this address.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Nov 4, 2023
Hi all,

I'm making a Binary Fakemon hack, everything is nearly done, but I just realized Shedinja's HP is hardcoded to always be at 1, even if i change its value... so my Fakemon will always have 1HP.

I found answers on how to fix it in Hex but only for Fire Red and Ruby Version. Maybe somebody here knows where the script is located?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT : Found it!

Input 00 00 at 0x068DF4, then 00 00 at 0x068FCC

Last edited:
Back