• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Questions For Pokemon Crystal!

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Hi. I've been playing Pokemon Crystal ('cos the Jhoto Reigon rocks!) and I have a few questions that I wanna get answered...

1) Where is the "Name Rater" or somewhere where I can change the nickname of my Pokemon?
    2) I caught Entei in the Route just below the town where the Tower is.. Any ideas of which direction Raikou is? (I looked in the Route thoroughly to find Entei so hopefully, I can find Raikou in another..)
    3) Can anyone tell me some Pokemon that are strong, easy to train and cool that can learn the HM Cut? (I went on Serebii.net on there Attackdex but some of the Pokemon they say can learn Cut, can't..)

I'd be very greatful if you could help me!
    Thank you.
    :]

Years
    First of all, Goldenrod city would be where the Name Rater lives. I think it's above the Pokemon center there if I'm not mistaken. =)

With Raikou, it's usually best to be patient with it, because once you see it, it changes location. You can check your Pokedex after running into it, to see where it is. When you are on the hunt for any of the legendary dogs/cats/whatever, make sure you have a Pokemon with the move Mean Look as your first Pokemon so it won't run away from you. In my game, I first saw the legendary dogs to the left of Ecruteak in the grass nearby the sailor. I stupidly shut off my game because it ran away when I could have just looked at the pokedex. I think it would be best not to search for it and just let it pop up on its own. In the meantime, you could try leveling up some of your Pokemon.

With cut, I think you could try capturing a Scyther or a Pinsir in the Bug Catching contest. I'm not sure how strong it gets, though, because I've never really used one before. I think they might know cut.

I hope I was able to help. :) Congratulations on capturing Entei. =)

Years
    3) Can anyone tell me some Pokemon that are strong, easy to train and cool that can learn the HM Cut? (I went on Serebii.net on there Attackdex but some of the Pokemon they say can learn Cut, can't..)

I'd be very greatful if you could help me!
    Thank you.
    :]
    You have to look in the RBYGSC Pokédex to find accurate information on Second Generation Pokémon moves because the Attackdex is for the Third Generation.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    I don't really understand the Pokedex for RBYGSC.. When it shows the Pokemons HM/TM that it can learn, does the white ones mean it can learn it or cannot learn it?

Thanks for your help GymLeaderLily. I did go search in the route near Ecruteak city aswell.. Right now I'm checking in the Route to the left of Mahogany Town. I might go to the Bug Contest today even though I'm training my Sandshrew that know's Cut.

Sorry about the double posting but, I got a new question!
    1) Where do you get a Good Rod? (I still have an Old Rod and all I can catch are Majikarp..)
    2) Where can I get a pokemon that can learn the HM Surf without having to surf?

Last edited:

Gabri

m8
    Years
    The Good Rod is given by a guy inside a house north of the Pokémon Center in Olivine. With the same Rod, you may fish in the Olivine Docks or in the water near Olivine.

Years
    I don't really understand the Pokedex for RBYGSC.. When it shows the Pokemons HM/TM that it can learn, does the white ones mean it can learn it or cannot learn it?

Thanks for your help GymLeaderLily. I did go search in the route near Ecruteak city aswell.. Right now I'm checking in the Route to the left of Mahogany Town. I might go to the Bug Contest today even though I'm training my Sandshrew that know's Cut.

Sorry about the double posting but, I got a new question!
    1) Where do you get a Good Rod? (I still have an Old Rod and all I can catch are Majikarp..)
    2) Where can I get a pokemon that can learn the HM Surf without having to surf?

For question number two, most any Wate type can learn Surf. Seems strange perhaps, but Miltank and Tauros can learn it. Other than Magikarp, most any Pokemon encountered through using the Good Rod will be capable of Surf.

And I suppose I should mention that the SUPER ROD is still obtained through the Fisherman in that house on the docks in KANTO, just SOUTH of LAVENDER TOWN.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your help. I know have a Good Rod so I can catch better Pokemon than Magikarp! I've beaten all the Gym Leader's so I'm now travelling down to New Bark Town. I've caught Suicune (wasn't even that difficult) but I still don't know if you can catch Raikou after?

Years
    Thank you everyone for your help. I know have a Good Rod so I can catch better Pokemon than Magikarp! I've beaten all the Gym Leader's so I'm now travelling down to New Bark Town. I've caught Suicune (wasn't even that difficult) but I still don't know if you can catch Raikou after?
    I just check and yes you can.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    a good pokemon for cut and fly is Skarmory

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    For Raikou you just have to wander and wait until he shows up. After he showed up, battle him, see if he runs away, find him again, yada yada yada. :]

You seem to have better luck than me though, since I have yet to see Raikou or Entei on my Crystal. ( Or maybe I just don't play it enough. >_> )

Back