• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

let's do a quiz

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    now that we have, if not the mascots, but at least the actual traits sorted out, we can talk about this. i really want to bring back the concept of a short personality quiz determining your team. the teams have traits for a reason and, much like hp houses wouldn't have much of an impact if the sorting hat just put you in a random one, i think randomly assigning teams would take the spirit out of the system.

that said, we've had some issues with balancing this in previous years, due to both my own incompetance at programming in 2017 and team traits that weren't particularly balanced among pc's demographic. so I've come up with a couple changes from previous years we could try.

- I actually know how to code these days and can make a more effective autobalancing system, where your quiz answers are massaged towards the team with the fewest members - hopefully not MUCH if the teams are roughly balanced.

- I think once we have the quiz done we should put all the staff through it early and look at the distributions that come out. Make clear that those will not be their final teams and we may rebalance based on the results.

- In the name of broad accessibility to people who just care about the events, I'm considering a "skip quiz" button that really does just random team you. I don't want to encourage it, the quiz is the encouraged way for you to enter the GT, but as a concession for people who don't care.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    There's a smaller event I like to go to that manually balances teams based of their skills/access to a game (i.e. if they have Smash, their skill in Pokémon, artistic abilities, etc) so while we can still include questions based off traits, we can also include these questions if that will help with balancing teams a bit.

Years
    We can always tailor the traits to come up with a more broad list for each one, so that it covers most aspects of our user demographic, that's easy.

Staff 100% should test it out (but allow us to actually re-do it again please <3) to make sure balancing isn't wonky as shit.

IMO I wouldn't even bother with a "Skip" button, don't even give people that option. In a way if people answer cause they have no idea, they're basically doing it randomly and it won't tempt people to just Nope out of it.

There's a smaller event I like to go to that manually balances teams based of their skills/access to a game (i.e. if they have Smash, their skill in Pokémon, artistic abilities, etc) so while we can still include questions based off traits, we can also include these questions if that will help with balancing teams a bit.

I'm unsure on what you mean, sorry. If I understood correctly, I'm not sure how it can as such apply to the selection process. Do please explain though because chances are I've got it completely wrong.

HOWEVER, I am super intrigued in us potentially doing a system with this, for our events? Like the people for Smash for example can have that either as a role or something, IDK this is just me bouncing around an idea at the moment. I think this could be good for events though - I know I was going to potentially look at designated people for some of my events so this could be quite handy.

Years
    i feel like the inclusion of a "skip" button would invalidate the whole point of going through the quiz and the effort that went into it. if someone really can't spare the <2 or so minutes at max that the quiz is likely going to take, they shouldn't really be taking it to begin with. it's fun and quirky and there's zero harm in taking it even if you don't particularly care all that much.

Years
    i feel like the inclusion of a "skip" button would invalidate the whole point of going through the quiz and the effort that went into it. if someone really can't spare the <2 or so minutes at max that the quiz is likely going to take, they shouldn't really be taking it to begin with. it's fun and quirky and there's zero harm in taking it even if you don't particularly care all that much.

This is a fair point tbh

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    fair! i know it does miss the point, i was thinking about including it as a concession, but really a quiz isn't that big a time investment anyways, i'm good to not bother

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    I'm unsure on what you mean, sorry. If I understood correctly, I'm not sure how it can as such apply to the selection process. Do please explain though because chances are I've got it completely wrong.
    I'll clarify then with examples:
    User A has only Smash
    User B has only Animal Crossing

Team A lacks a few members with Animal Crossing whereas team B lacks members with Smash so therefore User A joins the latter while User B joins the former. It can get deeper than this tho but I hope it helps explaining it better.

Also, I'm fine with skipping the skip quiz.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    will be beginning on the technical parts of quizmaking soon. is anyone interested in helping write the questions?

Years
    will be beginning on the technical parts of quizmaking soon. is anyone interested in helping write the questions?

give me until monday/tuesdayish (once i have my new pc set up probably then) and i can take care of it depending on how many questions we're interesting in writing up

Back