• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Dubbed] Is the Season 1 set really HD?

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
    • Age 26
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen today
    Hello. I hope this is the right forum to discuss this. I bought the 52-episode Season 1 Blu-Ray Disc that just came out recently, but I was thinking of returning it since all 52 episodes are on the Pokémon website.

Is the new BD set really HD? I don't know how it can be since the anime was done in the 1990s. (I recently learned it's possible for really old Flash animation like WB's Mucha Lucha! cuz of vectors, but I'm pretty confident the first season was using physical material that had to be filmed.) Did TPCi just take really good care of the masters, or was it fed into a computer? I couldn't find a credible source for this on Google (especially since typing "Pokémon" into Google makes the website try to sell me things). Does anyone know how good the HD upscaling is?

"Mmm, BUT Reginald Cosmic, it's in 4:3, so you're going to see black bars at the sides!" Yes, Eric, that's why I bought the set. Anime in the 90s was done in 4:3 aspect ratio. I don't want it zoomed in, and I don't want it stretched.

Um, anyway, I kind of want to own the set anyway because there's always the possibility of TPCi removing some or all of the episodes currently on the site. (This is the case with a lot of sitcoms, cartoons, etc.) Any help would be appreciated.

Back