• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold hack: HeartGold/SoulSilver Faster Intro

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2022

HeartGold/SoulSilver Faster Intro

Description

This is a very minor hack that shortens and removes cutscenes in the first few minutes of the game. This hack was originally designed for a streamer of the "Ironmon" self-imposed challenge because the challenge incurs many resets.

The cutscenes shortened include almost every required one up through the catching tutorial. However, the mom cutscenes are not shortened, because as per rule #9 of Ironmon: "You have to talk to MOM when you start your journey, otherwise that's just rude." If you wish to skip the introductory Oak cutscene, I recommend saving sometime after it and loading that save when restarting the game.

This hack is designed to be compatible with the randomizer, including the "Give National Dex at Start" setting.

This hack has been tested fairly thoroughly, but something could always go wrong. Please let me know if you find a bug or a crash using this patch!

Credits

• SilverstarStream: created the patch
    • AdAstra & Nømura: DSPRE Rom editor - for text editing and a reference for script editing

Download

Patch download (USA and Europe compatible): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DhKQ-5c_st_JVEfBrpz5fyDak4nV_4Nr/view?usp=sharing

This patch can be applied to a ROM with this website or any BPS patching utility of preference.
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    First, unzip the downloaded zip folder.
    Then use the website to select the base ROM and the patch.
    Hit the apply patch button to create a new patched ROM.

Additionally, if using the patch with the randomizer, I recommend using the ZX fork of the randomizer. It is built on Dabomstew's original Pokemon randomizer, but has new features, bug fixes, and is currently supported.
    Apply the patch to the ROM first, then use the patched ROM with the randomizer. The randomizer will warn about using a patched ROM. This is expected, just randomize the ROM like normal.

Finally, if you are a ROM hack creator and wish to use the edited elements in this hack for your own project, go ahead, no need to credit. However, if you specifically plan to make your hack compatible with the randomizer, I request that you include a simple credit in either the hack's information page or readme.
    If you plan to edit these script files with a script editor, they might not be parsed correctly because they had to be specifically edited to work with the randomizer.
    Edited files:
    the scripts NARC at a/0/1/2
    * files 225, 229, 842, 843, 845, and 850.
    the texts NARC at a/0/2/7
    * files 373, 377, 542, and 543.

Last edited:
    Back