• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gym Leaders/Elite Four Speculation

Dansparce

The Unbeatable
    Years
    Still waiting on that Dark type gym. Like seriously, how have they not made one yet? The gym itself would be easy enough to design (I picture it being a mix between Brawly's gen 3 gym and Iris' B/W gym).

And the type itself is diverse enough, with Pokemon like Weavile, Honchkrow, Houndoom, Sharpedo etc.

Maybe it is because "Dark" type is called "Evil" type in japan, but a gym specializing in the undead (ghosts) is far stranger than a gym specializing in "Evil" pokemon.

Years
    I'd like to see dual gym leaders but with different types. have double battles where 1 trainer uses Rock type and the other Electric types. or like have a triple battle with the elemental monkey trainers...

I guess i'm getting at more like how the Restaurants were in XY. with a slightly more challenging moveset on the used pkm that could have been quite fun.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm just hoping we finally get a Dark-type Gym, really haha. It's the only gym type that hasn't yet appeared in any games, so it'd be cool to finally see one for the first time.

KittiOcelotti

"Smell ya later!"
    Years
    I guess it would be cool to see gym leaders specializing in more than one type or a egg group.

It get's really boring just seeing the same types over and over again.

Another thing I would lie to mention is that I would like to see gyms with more creative designs with actual puzzles instead of gyms with "puzzles" so boring and predictable that they might not be called that at all. The puzzles don't have to be hard, but should offer a challenge- or at the very least have attractive and unique designs. Some gyms have the same design, which kind of feel repetitive, such as Valerie and Sabrina's gym and most of the earlier gyms with similar looking "mazes".

I like the character designs for the most part. I think they should reflect on the region they live in and influenced by their main pokemon. I think that the gym leaders should play a bigger role in the story because, let's face it- most gym leaders lack influence on the story.

I guess the same can be said for the elite four.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and demand a Dark-Type Gym, I mean, we have never had one and it would be nice if we did for Christ's sake! I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason there was no Dark-Type Gym was due to the Dark-Type being evil, which is a stupid excuse, maybe we need a MAN to step in and become a Gym Leader and not some weak, effeminate sissy who uses Fairy-Type, I can already see we'll be getting a male Gym Leader who uses Fairy-Type somewhere down the track.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and demand a Dark-Type Gym, I mean, we have never had one and it would be nice if we did for Christ's sake! I think I remember reading somewhere that the reason there was no Dark-Type Gym was due to the Dark-Type being evil, which is a stupid excuse, maybe we need a MAN to step in and become a Gym Leader and not some sissy who uses Fairy-Type, I can already see we'll be getting a male Gym Leader who uses Fairy-Type somewhere down the track.

Now that I think about it, we didn't get a Male grass gym leader until XY, if we aren't counting Cilan, which would be BW. In addition we haven't had another male poison gym leader since RGBY (not counting their remakes). And the last flying male gym leader was back during Gen II (not counting the remakes). Also, another ice female gym leader would be appreciated if we are to get another ice type gym (out of the four ice gym leaders Candice is the only girl, ironically we don't have a male ice E4).
    Actually, if we don't count Chili, the last fire gym leader was back in Gen III ( again not counting the remakes).

Years
    We also haven't had a female Electric Gym Leader other than Elesa, and Morty has so far been the only Ghost-type user from either Gym Leaders or Elite Four.

Years
    We could definitely use a Dark type gym, as well as a Poison type gym. Both types are hugely under-represented which is a shame as they are by far the most interesting in my opinion.

For those who follow MysticUmbreon's theory for why there isn't a Dark type gym, I would like to point out that just because a pokemon uses under-handed tactics doesn't make them evil or a bad role-model. After all, Absol's main role is to warn people of approaching danger, and Zoroark uses its abilities to protect its home and family. Those are pretty decent role-models in my book.

The other type of gym I'd like to see more of is Fire, although given how many water type pokemon there are they would have to think really hard about what pokemon to use for it. Otherwise it will be a complete pushover of a gym.

Years
    We also haven't had a female Electric Gym Leader other than Elesa, and Morty has so far been the only Ghost-type user from either Gym Leaders or Elite Four.
    Elesa is quite recent so I didn't think of that. Right, and he is. We have not had ghost gym since Gen IV, so we could use another. Maybe the gym leader will be a creepy little boy who says we aren't "the one" and vanishes, only to end up laughing when we meet him.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    While the last Poison-type Gym is relatively new, I want a Poison-type Gym.
    Grass-type as our final Gym/part of the Elite Four. We need an Electric-type E4 too!

I would love to see an Ice-type Gym as our 3rd or 4th Gym. (:

Years
    Ah yes, Roxie in B2/W2. The first non-Kanto Poison Gym Leader.

Anyways speaking of Poison Gym Leaders I do hope we get another one, but I probably wouldn't expect "rare" types like Ice, Ghost, Fairy, Steel or Dragon to be the earliest Gyms. Morty in Johto, as well as Platinum Fantina were kinda early but it's mainly 1st-3rd Gym I consider "earliest". I definitely wouldn't want an extremely powerful type in the early Gyms again, especially with how hard Fantina was in Platinum by being moved to 3rd Gym after being 5th in D/P.

Years
    Ah yes, Roxie in B2/W2. The first non-Kanto Poison Gym Leader.

Anyways speaking of Poison Gym Leaders I do hope we get another one, but I probably wouldn't expect "rare" types like Ice, Ghost, Fairy, Steel or Dragon to be the earliest Gyms. Morty in Johto, as well as Platinum Fantina were kinda early but it's mainly 1st-3rd Gym I consider "earliest". I definitely wouldn't want an extremely powerful type in the early Gyms again, especially with how hard Fantina was in Platinum by being moved to 3rd Gym after being 5th in D/P.

I honestly didn't find Fantina a problem in plat, since so many pokemon have access to Bite by then which destroys her. Give me her over Whitney any day.

Years
    I honestly didn't find Fantina a problem in plat, since so many pokemon have access to Bite by then which destroys her. Give me her over Whitney any day.

The main issue with her in Platinum is her Mismagius has wide type coverage which will likely destroy anything you have at that point, and she has Shadow Ball at that point as well which is a move that anything not Normal-type won't enjoy having to take a hit from.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'd like to see dual gym leaders but with different types. have double battles where 1 trainer uses Rock type and the other Electric types. or like have a triple battle with the elemental monkey trainers...

I guess i'm getting at more like how the Restaurants were in XY. with a slightly more challenging moveset on the used pkm that could have been quite fun.

I have pretty much the opposite opinion. While it was a cool concept in BW, it got annoying when replaying them. I like the set gyms as they are; you know what you're getting, you can prepare for it and yeah, mixed double battles would promote catching different Pokemon (which is what the creators want) but it makes it harder for you, especially early on. If that was the case though, it should only be done at the end with like, dark and dragon (or dragon and fairy) - two types that match up well. That'd give a cool challenge, and the badge given would be something like the yinyang badge or something like that. BUT only problem with that is that Pokemon sticks to a certain formula, and straying too far from it isn't something that happens too often in-game. Release wise anything can happen but in-game it probably won't.

Years
    I have pretty much the opposite opinion. While it was a cool concept in BW, it got annoying when replaying them. I like the set gyms as they are; you know what you're getting, you can prepare for it and yeah, mixed double battles would promote catching different Pokemon (which is what the creators want) but it makes it harder for you, especially early on. If that was the case though, it should only be done at the end with like, dark and dragon (or dragon and fairy) - two types that match up well. That'd give a cool challenge, and the badge given would be something like the yinyang badge or something like that. BUT only problem with that is that Pokemon sticks to a certain formula, and straying too far from it isn't something that happens too often in-game. Release wise anything can happen but in-game it probably won't.
    Maybe we'll get a typeless gym like Blue's in the Johto games. I can see the theme being Sun and Moon related mons. Like a team of Espeon, Umbreon, Volcarona, Sylveon, Musharna, and Mega Sunflora!

Guest123123

If they wanted to make the Gym types have a sun and moon theme (not actually sure if they do this when deciding what types to use), Fire, Rock, Psychic, Dark, and Water would be good types to use.

I know Dark has never been used for a gym, but trends have been broken before. Kalos had the first Rock gym that wasn't first and the first Ice gym that wasn't seventh. It was also the only region besides Johto (which intentionally had gyms that Kanto didn't) without a Water gym.

Years
    I know Dark has never been used for a gym, but trends have been broken before. Kalos had the first Rock gym that wasn't first and the first Ice gym that wasn't seventh. It was also the only region besides Johto (which intentionally had gyms that Kanto didn't) without a Water gym.

It's true that Game Freak has been throwing curveballs lately, such as Kalos also breaking the trend of each region having a Ghost-type Gym Leader or Elite Four member. Sinnoh was even the only region lacking a Dragon-type Gym Leader or Elite Four member.

Back