• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Group work!

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    Do you find it difficult when you work in groups with other people at work or in school in general? Maybe you find it challenging to voice your opinions or bring up quick suggestions. It might also depend on what personality types are in the group. How do you adapt to these situations?

I actually find it fun to work in groups but it depends on who I am working with. If my group members are responsible and will reconcile in work, I'd have no issue with them. But I can't withstand it when one of the members in my group doesn't contribute anything and just expects me to do the work. xD

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Yeah, it depends on the people I'm working with; most of the time I work with people I know well, and are pretty efficient, so that's not much of a problem for me. However, I find myself to be the laziest and less efficient among my peers at times XD; Free expression of opinions, I find prominent in my group of friends and placing opinions is not much of a barrier. Nah ..I don't find working in groups difficult. Heck, I find it to be easier at times 'cause I'm lazy. aye.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • Do I like group work? Depends. If I'm working with people I get along with, then yes, I will be fine but if I have no clue how they act or if they are a complete stranger to me then no. But really no matter who I'm working with I'm the lazy one of the group of people. I tend to sit back and put my feet up normally because they have a superepiclystupid idea that I really don't have a clue what they are talking about. But I never really voice my opinions even with friends, they usually have something that turns out better than what I could have imagined I just chip in every now and then, and if I'm told to do something then I'll do it. Otherwise, sit back and relax.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
  • Working in groups? Nah. I fly solo. I don't get along with people. If I HAVE to be in a group, I'll pokerface and do my part... sometimes more, because I'm considered "intelligent"... since when "intelligence" has to do with effort? =|

Gratuitous "I have reached 100 posts message here".

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I'm glad to work in groups, but it really depends on what the situation is and the people I'm in a group with. Most of the time I like working solo, but I have no problems with working in groups.
    I'd like responsible people in my group, but they're fun at the same time to work with.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It depends on what we're working on. Back in school, when we were told to make a poster or something, I'd happily work in a group because I'm no good at drawing, whilst other people are. Now I'm in college, I hate group work. We don't get poster assignments, we get proper essays, or creative writing tasks if I'm in English class.

For essays, I don't want to have other people imposing when I know they won't work to the same standard as me. I'm not being arrogant or exaggerating my abilities, but I am the best in all of my classes and I don't want other people slowing me down or ruining my work.

For creative writing, I want to write about my own ideas, I don't want to have to compromise and end up mixing some of my ideas with the ideas of others, because there's a 99% chance I am not going to like other people's ideas.

I don't have trouble voicing my opinion or anything, in fact I'm usually the one elected to be leader simply because I actually know what the task is asking for. Then I'll end up doing most of the work whilst having other people ask me questions, and I just end up being like a teacher to them. It's ridiculous and I always refuse to take part in group work.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • If I'm working with someone I barely know, the work tends to get done.

Oddly enough, if you work with friends, they can sometimes be a hindrance if you just goof around. :]

So I choose to work alone most of the time.

Years
  • I usually love working in groups. The process of sharing ideas and improving existing concepts is what I strive for, and I love to contribute as much as possible. This is mostly related to building in engineering and projects, definitely including game creations like what we have here. Now, if it's school related, it's a different story. Unfortunately no one likes to contribute, and I end up doing all the work in the end. This bothers me to no end, so I usually request to do projects by myself.

Years
  • Nope, never.
    I always get on with group work members and if I feel they aren't pulling their weight, then I will voice my opinion.

I do have a strong voice in the work groups, but I am not overpowering.

Years
  • I work well in groups, if paired with the right people. If I find that people are not pulling thier weight or contributing anything, I will step in and tell them what to do. Overall though, group work was not really ever a problem for me.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • It depends who I'm paired up with.
    I work well with people who actually DO some of the work instead of just shoving it all in my face and expecting me to finish most of it.

I really dislike working in groups sometimes.

Ayselipera

Depends on the project and on the people. A simple poster, diagram, or a note taking assignment can pretty much get done with practically anyone and it's usually an enjoyable activity to do with others. Usually where I lack in one area another person in the group can make up for so everything pretty much evens out.

Group projects that involve essays, reports, or anything like that can be a huge pain if you get paired up with the wrong people. Probably the worse kind of group I've experienced are the ones that are filled with all A type personalities. Simply everyone wants to be the leader and no one is willing to back down. Nothing gets done and the final product is just a slop together of the most dominant person's ideas plus some little add ins by everyone else that really don't make sense when you put it all together.

Overall I'm pretty laid back and so when someone is giving off vibes of leadership in a group I'm willing to work with them all the way and add in my two cents here and there if truly needed. If there isn't a clear leader of the group and everyone is just lost I'll step up and take that role. I've always felt like it's better to switch in between both roles depending on the group makeup. You just can't always be the leader and you can't always sit on the sidelines either.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If given the choice, I will work alone. I only want a group when it's something I know I can't handle alone. Take GPGD for example. I handle that fantastically on my own, if I do say so myself. Throw in a partner and I'd be offended. lol As for school, I would prefer to work alone because I didn't like a lot of people in classes. And I'd want to use my own ideas. Even in math, my worst subject, I would rather work alone because then I can jot crap down and just get the work done with. lololol

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Do you find it difficult when you work in groups with other people at work or in school in general?
    I never really had a problem working in a group be it school, work, or other.

Maybe you find it challenging to voice your opinions or bring up quick suggestions?
    Not really, working in a group is about communications. If the group is not in tune with one another it is hard for the group as a whole to function properly. So voicing opinions keeps you on page with the group as well them with you.

It might also depend on what personality types are in the group. How do you adapt to these situations?

First off listen to their opinion before I go in blindly making comments. Take in what every one says before going forward, this way we don't have too go back and argue over something trivial, small, or irrelevant to our overall goal. Basically we are all in an agreeance on our goals. Yes some people are hard to work with, but I try not to let personality conflicts detract from our goal(pending there is those conflicts in the first place).

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years
  • it depends on the people i'm with. if i'm friends, then I cooperate and everything goes well. If we are not friends, it depends. If we are enemies, everything seems to go wrong. I sometimes like to work in groups, sometimes solo.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • Group work... I hate it. I'm usually the one who doesn't get to voice opinions. I'm too quiet. I'm too scared to speak up. I usually don't get to choose what I want to do in the group work.. the other loud people in the group just tell me what to do and I go along with that. :/ Unless I am with my friend in the group, I feel slightly more at ease with her there by my side.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I hate working in groups and partners usually because I like choosing what I do and when I do it. Though! Earlier this year, I was in a group assignment for uni and because of that, I got a much better grade than I would if I was working alone, so yeah.

Oh and cause Syd mentioned PC. Um, I was fine looking after B/W alone and I didn't really want a partner but really, having a partner is like 1000x easier. lol.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It depends on who my partners are. I don't have any trouble voicing my own opinions, but if frustrates me almost to the point of rage when there's a group member who isn't pulling their weight (and this has happened on numerous occasions, even at the college level. A related frustration is when someone forgets to do something at the last minute and brings down all of our grades.

I'd rather fly solo, as I'm usually responsible enough to get everything done when it needs to get done.

Back