• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GameFreak Wants Sun & Moon To Be The Definitive Pokemon Experience

Jeischita_Homaji

Resident of the Acalia Region
Years
  • From the very first teaser, GameFreak has been hyping Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon more than any other entry in the series, even the Hoenn remakes which were probably the most anticipated games in the series. From the beginning they have been saying that everything from past pokemon games "will all come together" in Sun/Moon, and considering that these games are launching on Pokemon's 20th year (It also happens that February 27th was my 19th birthday) I think they intend to make good on that promise in an amazing and spectacular way!

It is my theory that GameFreak intends to impliment all of the most popular and well recieved features from past pokemon games like;

-X/Y's Trainer Customization
    -HG/SS's Partner Pokemon Following The Player In The Overworld
    ect.

If so, this would be huge and would probably make Pokemon Sun & Pokemon Moon the best games in the series overall. Hopefully some of this will be touched upon in next month's Corocoro exclusive "scoop" they have been bragging about.

Whats more is that Sun/Moon comes off the heels of Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, a game that was created to be the roguelike sub-series' definitive experience, re-implimenting popular features from other games and introducing highly demanded features such as scarfs and such actually appearing on the in-game characters.

There is not a lot to go on just yet, but even if every single thing I said here turns out to be wrong, it is certain that GameFreak wants Sun/Moon to be HUGE. We have full sized models with realistic proportions and less blocky/more realistically shaped enviroments for the first time in the series, trainers are visible during battles, far more Dynamic/3D camera angles, we already have confirmation that trainer customization is back and a lot of full sized pokemon have been spotted in the overworld (I realise some were seen in X/Y and ORAS, but those were only a couple and in the first trailer for Sun/Moon alone we saw three of them) which leads me to believe that a certain highly requested feature from HeartGold and SoulSilver may be making a return.

At anyrate, I think we will find out very soon exactly what GameFreak has planned, but you can bet it is going to be something fantastic! Feel free to call me out on any of this should it all be proven wrong in the future, but right now I have a really good feeling about my own speculations.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I really do think they're going to heavily push the promotions for Sun & Moon as much as they possibly can throughout the year. Trainer customization is back which I think GF partially expected to be in demand from fans after X/Y, Pokemon following you on the other hand is something I don't think we'll see return just yet (unfortunately). I do expect some awesome new features though and it's going to be fun to speculate about them.

The phrase "It all comes together" makes me think that they've got something planned that connects these games significantly to past series games, it would make sense given that this is the 20th anniversary year. We've already seen how much of a big deal they're making about that alone, so main series games are going to be their forefront this year and I'm pretty sure we'll be getting plenty more surprises from these games that will make them stand out for the better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Best to give up on Pokemon following you. The Pokemon models are strainful for the 3DS, I don't think the overworld could be optimized properly if they're on screen the whole time.

We'd probably have seen it by now if it was implemented, honestly.

Nothing stopping them from bringing back dexnav though, the REAL best feature.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I would love to see following Pokemon! You can pickup Litten too!

Forget following Pokemon...being able to carry around every Pokemon around like it were Togepi would be far more entertaining. Personally I would find this very amusing, one trainer is strolling along with Litten and you come charging past holding Snorlax in the same manner. XD

I do think that they are aiming to make this the definitive game, as much as I would have loved to see following Pokemon return, I can imagine it causing a huge strain for the overworld.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Creating a definitive experience is only going to harm future installments, because they'll always try to be compared to Sun and Moon and bash it for not being like it. Just ask the Zelda fanbase with the post-OoT games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I definitely think the 3DS could handle a renewed Follow-Me feature. I honestly doubt that the issue for them has anything to do with rendering power and speed. It's that it's a massively daunting task to create overworld models for every single Pokemon and because each generation has a new graphical style for the overworld the new models would become obsolete. That'd be 700+ new models and animations per game; and Spinda could pose a challenge as well. That's a lot of resources going towards an aesthetic feature despite the emersion-building aspect.

I think it's perfectly feasible it's just not practical unless they settle upon a finalized overworld style.
    The battle models look as though they're just going to be reused and touched up from now on so the same issue does not apply to them.

Jeischita_Homaji

Years
  • The Pokemon models are strainful for the 3DS.

Obviously they would use lower poly models, as I said, there have already been a number of overworld pokemon sighted in just the first trailer alone, though, noticably lower poly than the battle models which is understandable.

I don't think the overworld could be optimized properly if they're on screen the whole time.

What would make them different from any other NPC? Every Pokemon game has had multiple NPCs moving on screen at the same time, including the 3D games like X/Y and OR/AS, most notably in Lumiose city and even on many of the routes and fields. Just because they're Pokemon doesn't make them any more taxing than a regular NPC, in fact, they would be less so since instead of having a coded path the Pokemon the player chooses to follow them would just be tethered to them.

We'd probably have seen it by now if it was implemented, honestly.

You say that as if they have already shown off a large chunk of everything they have to show. Have you seen some exclusive material that the rest of us haven't? Almost all of the footage, if not all of it so far, takes place in the starting area (the island shown in the trailer) on the way to see the Professor.

I apologize if my response as less than friendly, that is certainly not my intention, I am still rather new here and I would rather not have negative interactions, but I honestly feel like you didn't put much thought into your response, theres nothing to back up your argument, theres no reason the 3DS couldn't handle an NPC following the player.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Obviously they would use lower poly models, as I said, there have already been a number of overworld pokemon sighted in just the first trailer alone, though, noticably lower poly than the battle models which is understandable.
    Then there's the issue of size and scale. They're not gonna remodel every Pokemon for the overworld, that's not resourceful especially when the overworld is getting a huge design change.

Converting each model to low poly is also very time consuming.
    What would make them different from any other NPC? Every Pokemon game has had multiple NPCs moving on screen at the same time, including X/Y and OR/AS, most notably in Lumiose city. Just because they're Pokemon doesn't make them any more taxing than a regular NPC, in fact, they would be less so since instead of having a coded path the Pokemon the player chooses to follow them would just be tethered to them.
    The NPCs aren't as high poly as the Pokemon? You already said it yourself. If they aren't going to use the existing models then they'll have to remodel over 700 Pokemon or convert them to low poly just for a novel feature.

You say that as if they have already shown off a large chunk of everything they have to show. Have you seen some exclusive material that the rest of us haven't? Almost all of the footage, if not all of it so far, takes place in the starting area (the island shown in the trailer) on the way to see the Professor.
    You're thinking too much into it. We've seen the player character walk around, like in the city, and we don't know if that's after they got the starters or not. I firmly believe they showed areas that you'd visit after you get your first Pokemon.

I honestly feel like you didn't put much thought into your response
    Don't be a jerk.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • If the following feature returns, at best it will be for the starters. A lot of pokemon are on the overworld already in both Kalos and ORAS. So seeing some in the overworld already, doesn't mean much.

GameFreak literally hypes everything over the top. I am not. expecting it to be 'the best game. The only thing that is going to make the game the best is if there is multiple regions, gym leader re challenging, difficulty levels, following feature, customization, storyline driven, good amount of post game, new megas, and at least 100 new pokemon.

I would love to see all of that stuff, but I just don't like getting hyped over something that Game Freak over hypes like they normally do. To a lot of people, when 'it all comes together' and Rainbow codename was revealed, a ton of people thought we would see multiple regions, but currently there is no hints of that happening. Even though the 3DS game cards could probably hold 2 other regions.

Years
  • Hyping up things to be released to significant extents, and as better than anything not currently being promoted, is quite typical. You probably wouldn't want to take it too seriously.

In general, the games are quite far now from the general experience and atmosphere of the earlier games, and hence unlikely to be 'definitive' except of the newer games since around B/W. In general, though, it's likely to just be a slight spin on recent games that doesn't alter their basic formula significantly, and is in that sense mostly just another entry.

Jeischita_Homaji

Years
  • Then there's the issue of size and scale. They're not gonna remodel every Pokemon for the overworld, that's not resourceful especially when the overworld is getting a huge design change.

GameFreak does large redesigns and overhauls in basically every generation, this being gen 7, it will be no different. For many years every game (except for PC games) had two versions of every model, high poly and low poly. With the right 3D modeling software, its as easy as using a slider. I have had an interest in game design for over a decade so I am constantly looking into current and past techniques.

Converting each model to low poly is also very time consuming.
    Again, depending on their software, it could be as easy as just using a slider.

The NPCs aren't as high poly as the Pokemon?

No, in fact they arent. The battle models for the Pokemon all have a higher polygon count and higher resolution textures than the other models in the game because they are constantly seen close up. Again, depending on their software (which, being a AAA developer they likely have all the latest techniques available) they would simply need to convert the model to low poly and decrease the resolution of the texture, like every other NPC.

You're thinking too much into it. We've seen the player character walk around, like in the city, and we don't know if that's after they got the starters or not. I firmly believe they showed areas that you'd visit after you get your first Pokemon.

Did you see the map? Everything in the trailer was just the starting area, it is not very big. You would have to go through that city to get to the professor's place on top of the mountain from where the starting area is. I firmly believe that what we see in the trailer is all before the player recieves their starter, especially since the trailer was merely about showing off the starter Pokemon, it would be symbolic to see the trip up to the hut/shack area up there.

Don't be a jerk.

Again, as I said before, none of this is intended to be personal, you are choosing to take it that way and, again, I don't think you put an awful lot of thought into your response. Your attitude about it from the start leads be to believe that you began this conversation with a confrontation viewpoint.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    GameFreak does large redesigns and overhauls in basically every generation, this being gen 7, it will be no different. For many years every game (except for PC games) had two versions of every model, high poly and low poly. With the right 3D modeling software, its as easy as using a slider. I have had an interest in game design for over a decade so I am constantly looking into current and past techniques.

Again, depending on their software, it could be as easy as just using a slider.

No, in fact they arent. The battle models for the Pokemon all have a higher polygon count and higher resolution textures than the other models in the game because they are constantly seen close up. Again, depending on their software (which, being a AAA developer they likely have all the latest techniques available) they would simply need to convert the model to low poly and decrease the resolution of the texture, like every other NPC.
    I've asked a few people that I know that study game design and have experience with 3D modeling about this very specific thing, and none of what they told me line up what you're saying. Wouldn't you have to make sure to align the textures properly on the new low poly models? That would take a lot of time to do for each model, so fill me in here if I'm missing something. It doesn't sound as simple as you're saying.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying it's impractical. They could very well do it, but I'm giving you reasons why I personally think it's very, very unlikely.
    Again, as I said before, none of this is intended to be personal, you are choosing to take it that way and, again, I don't think you put an awful lot of thought into your response. Your attitude about it from the start leads be to believe that you began this conversation with a confrontation viewpoint.
    Your comment was incredibly rude when it's over a trivial thing. Saying that I'm choosing to take it that way isn't helping either. No matter how you spin it, you said something completely unnecessary, and your tone is coming off as needlessly passive aggressive especially when you're even acknowledging that you're being rather hostile. (But it's okay because it wasn't your intention?)

I'm fine with continuing this conversation because I'm also interested in game design, but if I'm being met with an unfriendly attitude then I'm not going to. The big thing here is that I don't like your attitude and I find you quite rude. Call me sensitive but I'm only here to waste time and have a bit of fun talking about Pokemon, not to get in an unnecessary debate that could turn south quickly.

Years
  • Honestly imo every new Pokemon game is the 'most hyped', as media takes over the world more and more every day, so I don't think that's a valid argument as to why they would be trying to make this gen the epitome of all popular features. Not saying it won't happen, but that's a shaky reasoning to back it up.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't see Skin tone selector as Customization. It's on the same level as pick your gender for me, so until I see the MCs with completely different clothing on and not a potentially miscolored accident, I can't accept customization is back in full swing.

The Skin tone choice is most likely going to keep repeating as it allows you to associate yourself with the character more than playing as a character whose skin color is completely different than your own.

I don't remember how good of a shot we got of the Pokemon Center concept art, but I don't recall if there appeared to be a spot to change your appearance. If there wasn't one, there isn't much reason for me to put any hope in changing my clothes and customizing my player in game like in XY.

I also don't feel like things that were introduced in the past games that gave those games some form of identity will return either. This includes Contests, Hidden Bases, Pokemon Grottoes, Sneaking up on Pokemon, Shaking Grass, The awesome customization mall, Pokemon World Tournament, Follow feature, Pokestar Studio, Underground, and Pokethon to name all the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. Many were great. Some were fun but could have gotten annoying after a time. If they weren't core mechanics, I don't see them returning outside of remakes right now.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • As much as I would want Pokémon following the trainer to return, it's VERY unlikely, especially going by what other people have said. And I believe you get the starter before you go to the city... There is literally no proof of a Pokémon following you yet, just because the trainer picks up the Pokémon when they see it doesn't really mean much, it's basically someone picking up their pet and a pet doesn't always follow you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I don't see Skin tone selector as Customization. It's on the same level as pick your gender for me, so until I see the MCs with completely different clothing on and not a potentially miscolored accident, I can't accept customization is back in full swing.

The Skin tone choice is most likely going to keep repeating as it allows you to associate yourself with the character more than playing as a character whose skin color is completely different than your own.

I don't remember how good of a shot we got of the Pokemon Center concept art, but I don't recall if there appeared to be a spot to change your appearance. If there wasn't one, there isn't much reason for me to put any hope in changing my clothes and customizing my player in game like in XY.

I also don't feel like things that were introduced in the past games that gave those games some form of identity will return either. This includes Contests, Hidden Bases, Pokemon Grottoes, Sneaking up on Pokemon, Shaking Grass, The awesome customization mall, Pokemon World Tournament, Follow feature, Pokestar Studio, Underground, and Pokethon to name all the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. Many were great. Some were fun but could have gotten annoying after a time. If they weren't core mechanics, I don't see them returning outside of remakes right now.
    I agree wholely, as much as I'd like to be wrong.

There are some features I don't mind going because they're just mini-games but there are other features that I consider more world building and should be a staple.
    They're hidden bases, contests, hidden grottoes, sneaking up on Pokemon, and character customization.

Hidden bases just fit into the concept of community and diversity in Pokemon. It's a way of literally sharing a part of your world with another player. It's also a great option for training.

Contests, while a mini game, makes extensive use of Pokemon moves in a different way. It allows moves to be useful in more ways than just battle. Unlike, say, the Pokemon-amie games where the Pokemon you use doesn't have any impact on the mini-game.

Hidden grottoes add an element of exploration and excitement.

Sneaking up on Pokemon is so much more in line with the kind of experience Pokemon is intended to mimic. It also turns searching for new Pokemon into a much more engaging experience.

Character customization is just better in terms of immersion. Although honestly, if it's anything like X and Y I don't find myself being at all hyped for it. I like to use customization features for cosplaying characters, that's more entertaining for me, but I think it's too important to everyone else to get rid of it. Sadly, that's never stopped GameFreak before.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Pokèmon following you made a return. If Sun/Moon did have that feature, I think it'd be more likely that not all Pokèmon would be capable of it. As time-consuming and daunting off a task, other games have managed similar mechanics and GameFreak is a big enough company that they'd be able to dedicate certain resources for that. I'm not holding my breath for it, but it's definitely not that implausible of an idea. Even if we didn't see it in the trailer, that was the announcement trailer(s). They could have left that out on purpose.
    I don't think we'll see it, but I don't think it's fair to brush off that possibility due to being on a 3D console and the number of Pokèmon.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • The "it all comes together" quote in the Direct reveal has me intrigued, that's for sure. They could be talking about game features, storylines, anything. It'll be interesting to see what they mean by that. As for character customization, I do hope they go past skin tones and hair color, I think it would be a little bit of a letdown if they didn't. But remember though, we didn't get enough game footage to prove or disprove the feature of changing clothes and hairstyle length, and IIRC the first trailer for XY didn't reveal a whole lot about that feature either.

Back