• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    You notice, however, that I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular...
    Generalizing to the genre as a whole doesn't make things better.

...and that I do acknowledge that it is only my personal opinion. As for "the original tone", it's a subjective term.
    I don't seem to be making any ground here, so okay.

Oh, and who said that I read them?
    You did.

It's my biggest failing as a reviewer that in fics with a predominantly angsty tone I become much more critical and nitpicky. (Sorry, angst-lovers, but I've read way too many gothic sue and idiot fics to love your work unless there is something refreshing about it.)
    This assumes that you must have read a work in order to review it.

But back to the discussion at large because this is boring, I tend to canon mix pretty heavily and utilize a great deal of fanon as well. I'm one of those authors who tries to rationalize the way the pokémon world works--which doesn't always work too well, but there you are.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    I'd say post it when you think it's good enough to post. As in, if you've proofread it thoroughly, and it's as complete as you want it to be, there's really nothing that should be stopping you from posting it. Go for it. *thumbs up*

Usually I get a lot of reviews for it, but I only got one (ACC-M) and one big chunky one from Bay. NOBODY LIKES ME ANYMORE! I think I'll post it over the weekend.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    It's too late at night for me to go upstairs, get my notebook and retype it all. I'll do it sometime this weekend.

btw, your review was like 3 lines, still appreciated though

*adds Lord to "people who review season champs" list*

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I don't pay any mind to fanon..I do make my own though ;)

XD Neither do I. You never know if fanon might be contradicted later on down the line, so sometimes, I'm just a bit wary.

'Sides, I can never keep up with what is and isn't fanon.

Usually I get a lot of reviews for it, but I only got one (ACC-M) and one big chunky one from Bay. NOBODY LIKES ME ANYMORE! I think I'll post it over the weekend.

Aww. I'll give it a read over if I've got enough time for it. (I'm sorry. It's finals week for me. ;_;)

Yamato-san

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Feb 15, 2012
    ...as a random side-note, I think the 10-year-old starting age is established by the anime alone (and probably adapted by the manga, but it's been a while since I read them, so...). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the games ever mention what age you are in the beginning--everyone just calls you 'kid' or 'child' or something, which indicates it's still ridiculously young, but no exact age.

OK, I just started up my old Blue version again (the save file's still there.... I'll be damned), and apparently, they didn't bring up the age that Pokemon Trainers start off at. I also dug out the instruction booklet, and to my surprise, the introduction sounds a LOT like the scenario that Special started off with: an 11-year old (not a 10-year old) who just randomly hears about the local professor giving out starting Pokemon and decides to pay him a visit one day.

BTW, I just thought I'd point out: apparently, they constantly refer to you as a kid in Colloseum as well, which is pretty ****ed up considering Leo is, without doubt, the oldest protagonist featured in a Pokemon RPG to date (he looks to be in his late teens AT LEAST. The game also indicates that he's particularly experienced due to the fact that you start off this game with two evolved Pokemon whose levels are four times as high as the Level 5 starters you usually get, not to mention the whole "used to be in an evil organization" bit). Now, I don't mind it too much if Leo's being called out as a kid by all the seemingly middle-aged+ Trainers roaming around, of which Colosseum contains a lot, but I think something's seriously wrong when that roller-skater you Snatch a Pokemon from in Pyrite Town, who's gotta be no more than 3/4s Leo's age, calls him a "little boy" (whether this was Nintendo of America's fault or something that was actually in the Japanese version, I have yet to find out).

I completely agree with what you said (except game canonically, I don't think there is a starting age), and also point out that R/B/Y/G were a lot... darker than their predecessors. They made more sense, and kind of had more depth. When the game really took off, the show and furture games aimed at younger age groups, and I think some of the logic of the situation was really lost.

oh god, not this **** again. I'm only gonna say this once: I HATE blind nostalgics. Seriously, I am so sick of people praising the 1st seasons of the anime as the greatest thing since sliced bread, whining about Misty being gone, saying any Pokemon past the original 151 sucked balls, etc. The idea that the franchise has gotten less "mature" is just another one of these false beliefs. So what if in the anime, a guy used a gun and James wore a female body suit? That kind of stuff would no doubt still be around today if they didn't try appealing to the rest of the world and our censorship standards (likewise, if the anime producers considered international releases from the outset, such material probably wouldn't have been around at all, not even in the earlier Japanese episodes).

So what if Team Rocket killed a Pokemon and there were dead Pokemon in the Lavender Tower? Is that any different from Team Rocket cutting the tails off of Slowpoke and Mt. Pyre? Face it, since the beginning, Pokemon's content seems to be below the content of your average shounen manga (remember, shounen=/=adult), and this is taking into account all the various multimedia in the franchise (except maybe Dengeki! Pikachu, and even that doesn't exceed shounen manga level). Hell, if anything, I'd say the franchise has gotten a slight bit more thought-provoking and full of substance over the years (even if the demograph is more or less the same). We've got the games featuring more depth to the characters, villains trying to manipulate the universe to create their views of an ideal utopia (coincidentally, I've been planning to use such antagonists myself).

Also, the anime's writing has come a LONG way from the days when unevolved, personality-lacking Pokemon were doing nothing besides sitting around acting cute and gimmicky half the time in order to sell plushies (the mini-movies that played before the movies seemed to be a testament to this... only the last one, "The Dancing Pokemon at the Secret Base", seemed particularly good), and they were all capable of pulling off cheap, deus ex wins against what easily seemed like tougher opponents in some short, crappy battle (it wasn't really until Orange and Jouto that battle scenes greatly improved and actually invoked strategies more often. It also helps that nowadays, more Pokemon are evolving and showing actual character development). Let's not forget stuff like "Dare da?"/"Who's That Pokemon?", and Pokemon Ieru Kana/Pokemon Rap (as you could tell by the slashes, these were present in both sides of the world, the international aspect and this franchise's place of origin being something I clearly haven't been ignoring throughout any of the posts I've made).

To put simply, Pokemon has been making some attempts to look less like the giant marketing gimmick that it actually is. It's really shown progress from trying to senselessly wh*re out plushies and getting the little kids to recognize every Pokemon they could potentially buy toys of. Though, it's still quite a ways off from the likes of, say, Digimon, which actually tells a story and doesn't bide its time introducing every single monster (literally hundreds of Digimon have yet to make an animated debut) and/or aspect of the franchise to the consumer (yes, even the Special manga is guilty of this in spite of the fact that it follows a lot less of an episodic format than the anime), which arguably makes it one of the most well-done marketing anime out there.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    This site is no known as being a place to get a lot of reviews. If you get two in your whole history of posting you are very lucky :)

Yeah, I learned that. But most reviews are very good and professional. However, other reviews are ehhh ," Your fic is awsom!!!!!1111~!~!
    Mk mor!!!!11 PLZ!!!"

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Or else you can be TK and get three reviews in seven years.

You don't have to be lucky, you just have to send spammy PMs repeatedly.

LOL. Yeah, but sending spammy PMs would just annoy the person so much that they won't review your fiction, in some cases. Maybe even most.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    Hm... In the stories I hear they always work.

-shrug- Well, not for me. I rarely get reviews like the other fics. After I get through with Volume 2, I'm thinking about taking a hiatus until Late January or even February to allow some people to read the full story and promote.

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    Seriously, I am so sick of people praising the 1st seasons of the anime as the greatest thing since sliced bread, whining about Misty being gone, saying any Pokemon past the original 151 sucked balls, etc. The idea that the franchise has gotten less "mature" is just another one of these false beliefs. So what if in the anime, a guy used a gun and James wore a female body suit? That kind of stuff would no doubt still be around today if they didn't try appealing to the rest of the world and our censorship standards (likewise, if the anime producers considered international releases from the outset, such material probably wouldn't have been around at all, not even in the earlier Japanese episodes).

First of all, chill out. Don't rant at me, and don't put words in my mouth. Much of this had nothing to do with my comment. I hate the anime. I don't give a flying frig about Misty. And really, you're, '...so sick of it?' Please.

Seriously, I am so sick of people praising the 1st seasons of the anime as the greatest thing since sliced bread, whining about Misty being gone, saying any Pokemon past the original 151 sucked balls, etc. The idea that the franchise has gotten less "mature" is just another one of these false beliefs. So what if in the anime, a guy used a gun and James wore a female body suit? That kind of stuff would no doubt still be around today if they didn't try appealing to the rest of the world and our censorship standards (likewise, if the anime producers considered international releases from the outset, such material probably wouldn't have been around at all, not even in the earlier Japanese episodes).

Again, stop arguing a point no one brought up.

My general point was about games. As an avid gamer, the pokemon games have become steadily more shallow. I've never enjoyed the anime, simply because I thought it was shallow from the start and IMO has only gotten worse.

And... yeah. The games have gotten more linear, more basic, more fluffy, the characters more trite... I'm not sure in what respect you think they've gotten better. R/B/Y/G had no really clear straight path to follow, much more difficult mazes (and worse graphcs) and was just generally more difficult than the follow-ups. The characters had more useful or interesting information than in, say, Diamond. Sure the graphics are prettier and some rule-change type of additions are positive, but I think overall the games have declined in quality. *shrug* This is independant of the 'nostalgia' you claimed ever-so-pretnetiously rendered my view void. As someone who enjoys video games, Pokemon Red was more enjoyable than Pokemon Diamond. As someone who enjoys writing, Blue has more nuances than Sapphire.

Last edited:

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
    My general point was about games. As an avid gamer, the pokemon games have become steadily more shallow. I've never enjoyed the anime, simply because I thought it was shallow from the start and IMO has only gotten worse.

And... yeah. The games have gotten more linear, more basic, more fluffy, the characters more trite... I'm not sure in what respect you think they've gotten better. R/B/Y/G had no really clear straight path to follow, much more difficult mazes (and worse graphcs) and was just generally more difficult than the follow-ups. The characters had more useful or interesting information than in, say, Diamond. Sure the graphics are prettier and some rule-change type of additions are positive, but I think overall the games have declined in quality.

...Then as a fellow gamer, can you into detail about your reasons? Especially the R/B/G/Y had no clear path to follow part (not the cave parts)... that part is... weren't all the games straightforward when you get right down to it? Especially those four unless you were trying to nab a legendary birds or level up or something?

As a gamer myself, one who enjoys challenges and heavy replay value the only thing Pokemon R/B/G had going for them was their single player difficulty. After you've beaten the league...there wasn't much of anything to do unless you were really interested in bragging rights for full Pokedex collection (and had that game boy printer thing to print out the diploma otherwise its just...*shrugs*) and characters back then were no memorable than any of the current gens. Hell, Fr/Lg and their fame checker made a lot of the characters stand out more than original.

Speaking of FR/LG, ever since the nice update it got from the Gen III mechanics and its own little updates (E4 plus rival V2), FR/LG is pretty much the hardest single player experience one will have in Pokemon. R/B/Gs difficulty is pretty much moot at that point. (There was nothing tough about Yellow, if anything, that was watered-down fanservice)

From a gaming stand-point, the games have grown with the emphasis placed on EVs and IVs and loads of breeding done to do it while taking all of the other nice battle system updates into account (And let's not forget Magma/Aqua and Galactic whose ideals went far deeper than Rockets rule the world through Pokemon bit).

EDIT: Sure, I have my issues with the pre/post evos of already existing Pokemon but they've added a lot to the competitive battling plate and lets not forget all the things to do post E4 and Champ.

I don't give a damn about graphics but all I'm saying is the games haven't become shallow at all, at least not to me, the guy that likes to train my guys to the extreme (that's how i am in any game I play). If anything, they expanded, it offers something to make the avid gamer giggle in fanatical glee and play for months on end.

EDIT 2: Yes, I know I talk about battling a lot, but that's what Pokemon really boils down to in my eyes: My raised and worked guys versus your raised and worked guys... now if only I had Wifi... and a DS while I'm at it...

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    *shrug* Personally, I thought in terms of characters and settings, Colosseum was far superior to any of the main series; it was a great shame the game had such a short storyline, awkward battle graphics and other flaws dragging it down. There weren't very many locations in the game, but each of the ones that were there had its own special mood and was generally made interesting and unique. The Cipher admins each had a distinct look and personality to them. Venus even actually did something with her life other than being your opponent in Standard Boss Battle #425 (fancy that).

Grovyle42(Griff8416)

No. 1 Grovyle Fan
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2023
    *In reference to the countless above posts* And just like that, the stagnant lounge turns into the House of Commons.

Anyways, out of general curiousity.. what kind of personalities do most of you give to the pokemon in your fics? Archetypal? Anti-archtypal? Something new all together?

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    *In reference to the countless above posts* And just like that, the stagnant lounge turns into the House of Commons.

Anyways, out of general curiousity.. what kind of personalities do most of you give to the pokemon in your fics? Archetypal? Anti-archtypal? Something new all together?

I like different personalities for each, I would say kind of like the Anime, but their personalities are dull and played-out.

In my fic, my character's Pachirisu is suicidal,his Prinplup thinks it's a superhero., his Stunky thinks it smells wonderful, and his Kirlia is feeling neglected. XD

Last edited:

Act

Let's Go Rangers!
    Years
    As a gamer myself, one who enjoys challenges and heavy replay value the only thing Pokemon R/B/G had going for them was their single player difficulty. After you've beaten the league...there wasn't much of anything to do unless you were really interested in bragging rights for full Pokedex collection (and had that game boy printer thing to print out the diploma otherwise its just...*shrugs*) and characters back then were no memorable than any of the current gens. Hell, Fr/Lg and their fame checker made a lot of the characters stand out more than original.

The new ones do have more replay value in general, but I also like catching as many pokemon as I can and find the battle tower very boring, so that stuff was kind of a pointless add-on for me. I get that a lot of (most) people loved it, though.

And single player difficulty is IMO the biggest thing the new games lack. Pearl was just... so easy. Everything is pretty straightforward (in Red, once you fed the guard the water-- something there was very little hint about-- you could pretty much beat gyms in whatever order you wanted to), and even the 'bosses' are easier (I still have trouble getting through the original Silph Co. very quickly, whereas the path to palia/dialga in DP was pretty much a straight line with giant, flashing lights). I also really disliked the drop in the variety of pokemon you could catch in DP.

Speaking of FR/LG, ever since the nice update it got from the Gen III mechanics and its own little updates (E4 plus rival V2), FR/LG is pretty much the hardest single player experience one will have in Pokemon. R/B/Gs difficulty is pretty much moot at that point. (There was nothing tough about Yellow, if anything, that was watered-down fanservice)

Ehh, there were a lot of small changes in FRLG I wasn't fond of, but overall I agree, they were probably the best... then again, all they really are is RBYG with nicer graphics, so whose point does this support?

From a gaming stand-point, the games have grown with the emphasis placed on EVs and IVs and loads of breeding done to do it while taking all of the other nice battle system updates into account (And let's not forget Magma/Aqua and Galactic whose ideals went far deeper than Rockets rule the world through Pokemon bit).

I'd actually have liked to see a lot more improvement in the AI. It's still pretty stupid, and tends to be *too* fair to the player. And Magma and Aqua weren't really any more fleshed out than Team Rocket. I actually thought Giovanni was less flat than Maxie/Archie (in just game canon). They were all, 'Let's change the world to suit our needs,' without very much of a backstory or reason.

So, I guess the overall point is: there were a lot of upgrades to the battling system (except the most important one) and graphics, but I felt actual gameplay was just... easier. Liter, if you will.

Well, it depends on the pokemon. Obviously they're all sentinent being with their own personalities. Of course, you also have to be careful not to make them too human.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
    :D Okay, well chapter 11 is up! It's much better than my usual old chapters, so go take a look! :)

About the games...Well, none of the games have had a real good plot. RBY was the worst to me, seeing as there was next to nothing to do after the game. Replay value is one of the most important things in a game for me.

GSC was much longer, and a big step up for me. Then my Gold and Crystal died...

RSE wasn't quite as good plotwise, but it was fine for me.

FRLG was much better IMO. The Sevii Islands were pretty fun for me, and it was the first game I actually filled my Pokedex in.

Diamond, however, is my favorite for one reason. Replay value. I've played it almost every day since April 22 (which is the day I got my DS, just for Diamond.). 380 hours is more replay value than I've squeezed from any other game period. Except maybe GT2 and GT4. But that's a different story.

The reason is Wi-Fi. I can trade all over the world (you wouldn't believe how many hacked Pokes I've gotten...), but I can battle. I spend obscene amounts of time IV breeding and EV training Pokemon for battling, but it's worth it.

o_O Yeah, long rant.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back