• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missie

Pokemon Groomer
    Years
    Katsuro said:
    Hmmmm OT. Not a good place to start writing fanfiction x3

Anyways, I'd try to do something unique ;) Most stories have flashbacks, or just professors giving pokemon blah...blah...blah...blah...

So, really come up with something that's going to grab your audience and not scream "CLICHE!" at them.

Ok one thing before I start talking and getting myself confused. xD Whats OT? And are there anymore shortcuts of Fanfic writing I should know about? This is all so new to me.

Well the only thing I got that might be different is I'm going to get my first pokemon but I'm not going to be a trainer. I'm not good enough to make pokemon fight except for the very basics so I'm going to be a pokemon breeder and open up my own spa/gym. The "Pokemon work out here to get stronger" type of gym. But um.. thats all the difference I can think of. Any other ideas?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    OT = Original Trainer. [Like a "new trainer" decides to start their own quest for the pokemon league. Generally looked down upon because it's the worst written category. Not implying that on your story though ;)]

Anyways...if you really want to be original, I liked the beginning of this one Magikarp fic. The boy had parents that hated him, but finally let him go and start his own journey. They bought him a magikarp XD;;; It was a humourous OT.

But things like that make fics interesting. So...maybe your brother/sister character had a pokemon and they gave you the egg? [Just brainstorming outloud]

Starting your own business can be good...but also hard to keep interesting. Just remember that.

Missie

Pokemon Groomer
    Years
    Hmm well ok I got an idea. Instead of getting my first pokemon from a proffessor I'll make the story slightly like my real life. My mom, me, two cats (Skitty and Persian) and a dog (Growlithe). And then I could just choose one of them or something and start on my own from there. Better choice than the 3 starter pokemon. >.>

-clings to her story- Best not to give out too much info.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    That's better ^^

And I cling to my stories a lot too x3 If I tell the whole storyline out, that makes me not want to write it anymore because I've already told it o.o;

But anyways, good luck with this ;)

Off-topic: If you give me the two sprites in your avatar, I can make that transparent ...

Missie

Pokemon Groomer
    Years
    Well not so much that you've already told the story (more detail are best) but the fact you dont want someone stealing your idea. O.O

Offtopic: You have too much stuff in your inbox. But you can do that if you like. ^_^ thanks!

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Hmm well ok I got an idea. Instead of getting my first pokemon from a proffessor I'll make the story slightly like my real life. My mom, me, two cats (Skitty and Persian) and a dog (Growlithe). And then I could just choose one of them or something and start on my own from there. Better choice than the 3 starter pokemon. >.>
    Ooh, I get idea: have teh mother come along on the journey! 8O

I've nevah seen one of those. XD "Brush your teeth before bed, dear!""But Mom, the fate of the world is at stake and I need my sleep!""I don't care, the fate of the world can be decided again and again, but once you lose your teeth, you lose them FOREVER!" lol XD

Really, just go for it. I don't honestly see that many coordinater-based fics anyways, they're usually traveling with a psychotic trainer. XD

Oh, yeah, the reason I'm here. When you're writing a fic, and you find that you've subconsciously written in a beautiful plot twist, but don't know how to play it, what do you do?

?SilverBlaze09?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I don't think she's inferring that the mom's coming with o.o; I could be wrong of course >P Of course I could be wrong~

Umm....about your question. o.o; That's actually pretty interesting to contemplate ^^; If you really do have an option for a nice little plot twist I think you need to stop and get out the old "PWNS and CONS" sheet. I mean, the twist might be AWESOME, but does it actually enrich the story?

If your original plan works out better...maybe a blend of the two? I honestly think I could give you a better opinion if you elaborated.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I would go with the plot twist myself, though you need to think about how you'd work it in. For example, I had a nice idea for a very large plot twist for Clouded Sky, but knew that I hadn't properly built up to it and that it would be too large for me to incorporate in the first write of the story, as it would radically alter the rest of the plot. However, I thought that it was too good to pass up, so I thought that I'd write the story with and without it, ending up with three "alternate chapters" that would bring the divergent twisted storyline roughly to the same point as the main one, and then asked reviewers their opinions on whether I should include the twist in the next version of the 'fic.

It's a looot of work to try that way, though. 0_o Especially if you write long chapters.

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    Kats said:
    I don't think she's inferring that the mom's coming with o.o; I could be wrong of course >P Of course I could be wrong~
    Naw, 'twas just an idea developed by my especially estranged brain.
    Umm....about your question. o.o; That's actually pretty interesting to contemplate ^^; If you really do have an option for a nice little plot twist I think you need to stop and get out the old "PWNS and CONS" sheet. I mean, the twist might be AWESOME, but does it actually enrich the story?

If your original plan works out better...maybe a blend of the two? I honestly think I could give you a better opinion if you elaborated.
    Elaboration? I just thought the question up because I have about thirty different ways to write my fic, and about half are going to be worked in, and I keep finding ways of scaring surprising the reader's sensibilities into the stratosphere, and I CAN'T FIT ALL THE GOOD ONES IN! I'M STUCK WITH ONLY ABOUT HALF OF THEM! XP

If I tried to elaborate further, you'd hafta wade through a post or two to figure it all out. XP Trust me. 8D
    Negrek said:
    I would go with the plot twist myself, though you need to think about how you'd work it in. For example, I had a nice idea for a very large plot twist for Clouded Sky, but knew that I hadn't properly built up to it and that it would be too large for me to incorporate in the first write of the story, as it would radically alter the rest of the plot. However, I thought that it was too good to pass up, so I thought that I'd write the story with and without it, ending up with three "alternate chapters" that would bring the divergent twisted storyline roughly to the same point as the main one, and then asked reviewers their opinions on whether I should include the twist in the next version of the 'fic.

It's a looot of work to try that way, though. 0_o Especially if you write long chapters.
    *winces* I don't think I've ever written a chapter(or a one-shot, for that matter) that was less than eight and a half pages. XP XD My normal chapter length lately=ten to twelve pages, minimum.

Maybe I'll just shtick any other plot twists I want thrown in in the future under "uncertainty of n00b territory". 8D

Okay, new question: where do YOU stick the main regions on a real-world map? Or do you not have the Americas, Europe, Asia etc. in there?

(no, I already figured out where to shtick them, I'm qenuinely curious)

?SilverBlaze09?

P.S. Okay, I have a problem.

All the normal regions, Kanto-Orre. How long would it take to build all the cities, ruins, et cetera from scratch if it was worked at day and night by approximately two million fanatics? And they were assisted by large groups of paid professionals(carpenters, masons, electricians, blah blah blah)? The mountains and terrain features are already in place, for those who would ask.

Yes, the weird questions continue. XP XD

Last edited:

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    Sorry for not keeping up, but this caught my attention (maybe because it was at the end. :x)

All the normal regions, Kanto-Orre. How long would it take to build all the cities, ruins, et cetera from scratch if it was worked at day and night by approximately two million fanatics? And they were assisted by large groups of paid professionals(carpenters, masons, electricians, blah blah blah)? The mountains and terrain features are already in place, for those who would ask.

One, Orre's not "official" as one of the RPG areas.

Two million fanatics and with paid professionals? Hell, the whole thing could be done in a few days. Two million is a lot of people. If they're spread out with like a couple hundred to a city (remember how small all these cities are).

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2014
    Hey guys, what fics have you read (preferably horror) have realyl good plot twists? You see, I have an idea about a horror fic where the spinarak of the National Park in Goldenrod City suddenly start attacking the park at night and eventually their attacks reach the city themselves, but I want to have some major plot twists like you see in horror and suspense movies and Im tryign to get inspiration for one. So any fics with good plot twists?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Pokemon and horror don't mix x3

Unless you're talking Gary trying to date Ash O____o;

But anyways, nope. I usually write Horror regular fiction, but spinarak are just too cute to scare me x3

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years
    I haven't read any real 'fics that I'd class only as "horror". I mean, what do you call horror? I've seen people call Scrap's 'fics horror, but that's not what I consider them to be. I have read some 'fics like hers that have good plot twists.

I don't use the "real" world in relation to pok?mon regions. Well, I do, but let's just say that they're not very close to one another.

I don't agree with Ionem on the whole build all the regions thing. I mean, if you're relating pok?mon to the real world, the cities would not be as they are in the games. In the games, a city is something like twenty-seven buildings. There's no infrastructure.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I think that there is a definition for the "horror" genre, but I forgot it now.

On a new topic...

So many fanfics eventually conclude with the "save the world" moment. Yet the problem is that many readers complain about the protagonists being "Mary Sue" should they ever try to be heroic and "save the world" for the "good guys." With this in mind, what are the current common motives for the protagonists to "save the world" in Pokemon fanfics?

Seems that so far it's usually because...

a) normal human beings will not permit mass destruction on a worldly scale to exist (note: unwelcomed motive to save the world, regardless of how much sense it makes)

b) to save certain places/people in particular, and saving the rest of the world is just an added bonus

c) just for the sake of stopping whatever the antagonist is doing, and since the antagonist is trying to destroy the world, the protagonist shall save the world

I'm wondering if there are any other motive to "save the world" out there that's commonly used in fanfics... so far I can only think of these 3.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
    Hmm... in my fic I've got a saving-the-world theme, but the motive is none of those. However, I couldn't call it "commonly used" since I've never seen anything like that in any other fics.

Strawberry Delcatty

Neko daisuki-na no nya!
    Years
    frostweaver said:
    b) to save certain places/people in particular, and saving the rest of the world is just an added bonus
    I'm sure that Hoenn Mirror World falls under that category. Shadow Hoenn was pretty much deep into the Shadow Wing mess, normal Hoenn was just getting affected at the beginning, and Mirror Hoenn... well, it wasn't that long ago, but it wasn't that recent either.

I'm guessing that's gonna hurt it in the future.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
    I've been feeling somewhat... uninspired lately.

I have multiple fics in progress, and haven't actually been *making* any progress.

Lily, did you ever start the first chapter of our splitfic?

SilverBlaze09

Christian American
    Years
    One, Orre's not "official" as one of the RPG areas.

Two million fanatics and with paid professionals? Hell, the whole thing could be done in a few days. Two million is a lot of people. If they're spread out with like a couple hundred to a city (remember how small all these cities are).
    *thinks it over* Sounds about right. Thanks, Ionem.

Oh, and I said 'normal'. You can reasonably assert that that means there's something beyond the regions we're used to(which means new regions, blah blah blah)
    I haven't read any real 'fics that I'd class only as "horror". I mean, what do you call horror? I've seen people call Scrap's 'fics horror, but that's not what I consider them to be. I have read some 'fics like hers that have good plot twists.
    I agree. Horror seems to be dulled down, in my humble opinion. Heck, I've seen a Christian author do better horror than anything I've seen on forums.
    I don't agree with Ionem on the whole build all the regions thing. I mean, if you're relating pok?mon to the real world, the cities would not be as they are in the games. In the games, a city is something like twenty-seven buildings. There's no infrastructure.
    Actually, *smirks* that's pretty much what I was looking for. XD Yes, this is gonna be very scary. XD

Okay, new question: does anybody have odd quotes from movies? Y'know, like those 'Zero Wing' quotes Yamato-san was throwing around? (He set us up da bomb, All your base are belong to us, etc.)

?SilverBlaze09?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Guess that if I have to do a review for a story in Other Writing, this is the best place to put the review?

Of course, "HIIIIII" to everyone in Other Writing too.

@ Guardian, The Adamant Dodger

Title- 4/5
    5 Title is symbolic, highly relevant and unique to the story
    4 Title is relevant to and descriptive about the story
    3 Title is descriptive, but is not precise in terms of descriptiveness, or is clich?
    2 Title is general, and applicable to most stories
    1 Title is irrelevant, and applicable to all stories

-the title isn't as bad or cliched as you described in the PM. It is pretty acceptable and relevant to the story.

Narrative Manner- 4/5
    5 Narrative manner is excellent, and adds strength and/or hidden meaning to the story
    4 Narrative manner is good, and adds some emphasize to the story
    3 Narrative manner is decent, and is suitable to the story
    2 Narrative manner is acceptable but not precise, or format is incorrect
    1 Narrative manner is poor, and weakens the story

-1st person narrative strengthens the emotion and personal connection between the readers and the story, which is a good choice for the prologue of the chapter.

-now there is an italic part that isn't written in the first person point of view, which makes everything confusing regarding the trend started by the prologue of the chapter. Are readers suppose to treat the italics as a change in narrative, or what? Most writers use the italics as either a change in narrative, or a special emphasis on a short sentence. With this in mind, it seriously makes that small section confusing.

-a rather original but also confusing (because I've personally never encountered this narrative before) narrative manner is introduced. A 3rd person narrator who acts personally is rather interesting. The narrator is often lost in words, and is often incapable of describing the situation, even though the narrator is 3rd person. We will see how this special narrative contributes to the story in the future.

Grammar/Coherence- 7/10
    10 Grammar mistakes are inexistent, and coherence exists throughout the entire story
    8-9 Grammar mistakes are rare, and coherence exists throughout the entire story
    6-7 Grammar mistakes are uncommon, but story occasionally suffers loopholes in plot
    5 Grammar mistakes are common, and story occasionally suffers loopholes in plot
    1-4 Grammar mistakes are common, and story suffers loopholes in plot

Not what it felt like while I was dying, that event, as are almost all while I was alive are hazy.
    the "that event" sounds like an appositive, but then the sentence doesn't flow very well. I'll end the incomplete sentence with a period after dying, and just start a new sentence. (alternative will be to replace the first comma there with a semicolon, which I recommand.) You probably want to insert a comma after "alive" as well.

-now I'm not sure where you are from, but at least from the Canadian's way to look at grammar, unless the ellipsis is functioning as a period, the first letter of a word after an ellipsis shouldn't be capitalized. Of course, where you come from may prefer to treat this differently, but beware of it.

What cause would James have to send her something in this manner?
    It'll flow a lot better to say 'What would cause James to send her something in this manner." It means almost the same thing, and I personally think that the sentence is more smooth than before in this manner.

Chaos was too powerful, he couldn?t risk his friends, couldn?t risk her.
    semicolon after powerful, and you can choose to use the dash after friends to strengthen the connection. If you aren't using a semicolon, then at least add a conjunction there to stop the sentence from being a run-on sentence.

He apologized over and over again, it was nothing she had done, he did this for her sake.
    Again, this is a run-on sentence due to the lack of conjunctions.

-remember to close all quotation marks at the end of a paragraph, even if the same speaker is going to talk again in the next paragraph.

-seriously, there are so many incomplete sentences that it drives readers crazy when they are reading. Yes it's a technique in writing as well, but when you see 3 of them for every paragraph...? You start wondering if they exist on purpose, or are they just grammatical errors afterall...

Major Character(s)- 14/15
    14-15 Major characters are very multi-faceted. All details are highly precise and relevant
    12-13 Major characters are multi-faceted. Most details are highly precise and relevant
    11-12 Major characters are multi-faceted but limited. Details are precise and relevant
    9-10 Major characters are slightly stereotypical. Details are precise but not very relevant
    7-8 Major characters are generally stereotypical. Details are present but need precision.
    5-6 Major characters are stereotypical. Details are present but limited in amount.
    1-4 Major characters have no personality traits, and no details are paid to characters.

-excellent to see that the author actually deals some research with the character names. Jacob and James are definitely wonderful choices with each other, and secretly strengthens the "relationship" between these two characters.

-another interesting choice in terms of all the names so far in this story. We'll see how all these christian-origin names will interact with one another in the future.

-characters are definitely building up very well. Both James and Nathalia are presented with similar problems of their own, and the readers are aware of their flawed family life. The story is a little too early to judge on facets, but there are some hints throughout the story that may suggest an alternative side to both characters that the narrator did not talk about.

-James's personal prologue contain some great situational irony for the story, providing hidden humor (but no way comedy) in a dark story.

Minor Character(s)- omit/5
    5 Minor characters are necessary and relevant, contributing to the story in multiple ways
    4 Minor characters are interesting and relevant, contributing to the story
    3 Minor characters are interesting, but are limited in contribution to the story
    2 Minor characters are irrelevant, and are limited in contribution to the story
    1 Minor characters are completely irrelevant, and are completely unnecessary to the story

-No minor characters so far, so omit

Story Details- 10/10
    9-10 Details are relevant, contributing to at least four out of the five story components
    7-8 Details are sometimes relevant, contributing to most story components
    5-6 Details are lacking, not necessarily relevant and verisimilitude is endangered
    3-4 Details are severely lacking, and verisimilitude is damaged
    1-2 Details are almost inexistent, and verisimilitude is severely damaged

-awkward moment regarding the setting... though the story takes place in real world (mentioning the states within US and so on), there is no Lisbon in North Dakota. We'll have to see how this "fake setting" plays out.

-details are mostly carefully chosen, such as colors. Not much to say about it except to see how it goes in the future.

Conflict- 5/5
    5 At least 3 conflicts are present, ?good and evil? cannot be divided
    4 Many conflicts are present to enhance the plot, ?good and evil? are questionable
    3 ?Man vs. Man? along other conflicts, but ?good and evil? are obvious
    2 ?Man vs. Man? only, good and evil are obvious
    1 ?Man vs. Man? only, ending is highly predictable

-plot haven't started yet, but we already know that a major conflict is the "man vs. self."

-a good conflict is already taking place, though it is only hinted by the prologue of the chapter. The best aspect of this story, in my opinion, is definitely the buildup of conflict.

-3 conflicts are present so far: (multiple) "man vs. self," "man vs. supernatural," "man vs. man"

Diction/Tone- 13/15
    14-15 Diction greatly contributes to story components. Tone is very relevant and suitable
    12-13 Diction contributes to story components. Tone is suitable but not always relevant
    10-11 Diction and tone are suitable but not always relevant
    8-9 Diction and tone are sometimes suitable but always relevant
    6-7 Diction and tone are sometimes inappropriate and are not relevant
    1-5 Diction and tone are inappropriate and are not considered by the author

She knew that that was something James always did.
    Though this is grammatically correct, you should always try to avoid using the same word twice in a sentence (unless you are using repetition.)

-again, the problem with the incomplete sentences fit here too.

-even the 3rd person narrator has its own tone. It further contribues to the great confusion in the story, and to the theme of chaos.

-various writing techniques and literary devices are commonly used throughout the story, enhancing all story components.

Story Structure- 14/15
    14-15 Story structure is carefully planned and greatly contributes to all story components
    12-13 Story structure is planned and contributes to most story components
    10-11 Story structure is planned and contributes to some story components
    8-9 Story structure is slightly weak and sometimes contributes to some story components
    6-7 Story structure is weak and rarely contributes to story components
    4-5 Story structure is weak and endangers the story components
    1-3 Story structure is fragile and damages the story components

-though incomplete sentence is a method of communicating hidden ideas to the readers, it's not very effective if it's used so often. This story is filled with them, and using them so much will weaken their effect. To the extreme, it may even cause your readers to mistaken it for a regular grammar mistakes.

-I'm personally not so thrilled at all regarding the 'dream-like' conversation between Nathalia and James after his death. It sounded so ineffective in terms of explaining what happened to James after death to Nathalia. Not only is that section partly a repeat of the prologue, but it is a rather weak way to carry a point across from one character to another (like any other detailed 'dream' sequences.) On top of that, a story so mystical in nature may probably benefit from less details and explanations.

-the constantly contradictive style along with the major confusion between all characters (including the narrator) points the story towards a very narrow space for predicting the future outcome of the story. Contradiction and possible lies result in endless possibility for the future of the story.

Effort- 10/10
    9-10 A great amount of effort is shown. Author?s re-read and editing are apparent.
    7-8 A good amount of effort is shown. Further double checking maybe necessary.
    5-6 A good amount of effort is shown. Double checking and spell checking are necessary.
    1-4 A limited amount of effort is shown. Please use spell check and other helpful devices.

Literal Device Bonus- + 4/15 (Foreshadowing /1, Contradictive Style 1/1, Foil /1, Dramatic Irony /2, Situational Irony 2/2, Allusion /2, Motif/Symbols /3, Theme 1/3)

Total: 91/95 => 96/100

Now, regardless of its high mark, it means no more or less than the other stories with a 90+. It's much easier to earn a high mark for a chaptered epic story if it's only the very beginning.

On a subjective level, I didn't enjoy this story as much as I should. Those insane amount of incomplete sentences (which seriously, feels like bad grammar but I'm still not certain enough about it) and the angel-James sequence definitely diminished my interest for this story by a lot...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back