• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evil Team Speculations

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
Years
  • Team Rocket performed diverse criminal activies in Kanto and Jhoto. Team Aqua and Team Magma aimed for the expansion of ocean and landmass by awakening the legendary Kyogre and Groudon in Rubo/Sapphire/Emarald. Team Plasma aimed for the freedom of pokemon and ruling the world in Black/White and freezing the Unova region in Black 2/White 2, and Team Flare, founded by Lysandrein, hopes for creating a "beautiful world" by reactivating the Ultimate Weapon, built centuries ago by AZ, to eliminate all life except themselves to reduce the strain on the world's resources. Team Aqua and Magma make a comeback in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, trying to awaken primal Groudon and Kyogre...
    So, what are our speculations about the villanous team of the Alola region? Will there exist a 'duo', like in Hoenn region games? Or will Team Flare actually make a comeback? Will Gamefreak try something new regarding the antagonists in Pokemon Sun/Moon? Or are they gonna be just like ordinary teams, like in Jhoto or Kanto games? Share your thoughts on these.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Team Solar and Team Lunar.

Team Solar having goals of harnessing the power of the sun for solar energy, heat and light intensity. Team Lunar having goals of more the opposite end by harnessing the power of the moon to have the ability to control cycles, tides and gravitational influence to disrupt climates.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • Like somebody said on Tumblr, the evil team in Moon will steal the moon and in Sun they'll set fire to the sun.

In all seriousness... as long as the Legendary isn't shoe-horned into the plot like they were in XY, I'll take whatever happens. Preferably I would like there to be just one evil team, but I can also understand why some people might think there's going to be two teams again.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I think having names like "Team Sol" and "Team Luna" are too general and connected to the legendaries, but I can see there's one team called "Team Eclipse" to "cover the world in darkness" or something like that to manipulate the legendaries. From the Legendaries connecting to the title of the games, but the teams aren't really connected to the titles of the games.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Team Rocket performed diverse criminal activies in Kanto and Jhoto. Team Aqua and Team Magma aimed for the expansion of ocean and landmass by awakening the legendary Kyogre and Groudon in Rubo/Sapphire/Emarald. Team Plasma aimed for the freedom of pokemon and ruling the world in Black/White and freezing the Unova region in Black 2/White 2, and Team Flare, founded by Lysandrein, hopes for creating a "beautiful world" by reactivating the Ultimate Weapon, built centuries ago by AZ, to eliminate all life except themselves to reduce the strain on the world's resources. Team Aqua and Magma make a comeback in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, trying to awaken primal Groudon and Kyogre...
    So, what are our speculations about the villanous team of the Alola region? Will there exist a 'duo', like in Hoenn region games? Or will Team Flare actually make a comeback? Will Gamefreak try something new regarding the antagonists in Pokemon Sun/Moon? Or are they gonna be just like ordinary teams, like in Jhoto or Kanto games? Share your thoughts on these.

You almost make OrAs sound likes sequels with the "comeback" bit. Only Rocket and Plasma have had "comebacks". Btw you forgot Galactic whose leader wanted to create his "perfect world without spirit".

Since Lysander and Cyrus had similar goals, and Ghetsis' goals were similar to Giovanni (taking over the regions), then I can see SM's evil team(s) being similar to RSE Aqua and Magma (since OrAs Aqua and Magma were similar to Cyrus and Lysander).

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I would like the villainous team to use types beyond just Poison and Dark.
    I get that those are the stereotypical "evil" types, but come on. Diversify, guys. Diversify!

I at least expected Teams Aqua and Magma to specialize in Water and Fire/Ground respectively, but nooo...

Great idea, Archie. Make a world where 75% of your Team's Pokémon will drown. Let me know how that works out.

Years
  • I would like the villainous team to use types beyond just Poison and Dark.
    I get that those are the stereotypical "evil" types, but come on. Diversify, guys. Diversify!

I at least expected Teams Aqua and Magma to specialize in Water and Fire/Ground respectively, but nooo...

Great idea, Archie. Make a world where 75% of your Team's Pokémon will drown. Let me know how that works out.

Yeah, GF messed up there. Oddly Flare had some members use Houndoom and Magnetic's lines, which one would've expected Plasma to use. Well at least Houndoom fits them.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I feel like the games with the weaker plots are the ones where the teams have very rudimentary, base plans. There needs to be a reason as to why they do whatever it is they do for some semblance of meaning to be achieved. I get that with the games' titles being nouns, it's easy to try and tie them into plot speculation, but what exactly is gained by blowing up the moon or sun? I'm sure that would cause issues for our villainous team, too. If their reason is, "because we can!" or "because we're bad and we want everyone gone!" well, that's foolish. That's being bad for the sake of being bad and is a childish plot device.

So when I say I want the team to be like Team Plasma, it's not that I want them to rehash their goal of "liberate Pokémon," it's that I want there to be mature reasoning behind their schemes (moral ambiguity helps here, too), I want the characters associated with the teams to be significant, memorable, and profound. The bad guys create the conflict and the conflict is what drives the story forward; I want SM to have a good story.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I think the thing I liked about Team Plasma other than the plot was their diversified teams. And Ghetsis was actually a challenge in BW, I couldn't believe it because I was so used to breezing through the other Bosses. That damned Seismitoad and Hydreigon of his.

Years
  • I had a hard time with the Egyptian coffin Pokémon than with the Three headed dragon or the vibrating toad. Zoroark couldn't get past it's bulk.

I hope they save the evil team for after the 8th gym again.

Years
  • Gonna more or less repeat what I said in the last thread about this topic:

Team Zodiac. They see everyone as having a destiny, a role to fill. Of course only their glorious leader(s) know what those roles are. They'll encourage people to voluntarily give up their lifestyles (and their Pokemon) to fulfill those roles, and force people if they don't. It'll be cult-like with the grunts who will all praise their leader, wear uniform clothing, and talk about how fulfilled they feel now that they're "following" their destiny. But regular people can be also swayed by the idea (who wouldn't want to fulfill their destiny?) so this Team Evil won't be immediately evil looking until they start to force people who don't want to go along with them. They'll use a good amount of Psychic-type Pokemon, maybe some Dark-types or Fairy-types but they won't have to stick to typical bad guy Pokemon.

The theme of this team, I think, would tie in to the idea of harmony and balance, which I'm guessing will be part of the theme of these games. Team Zodiac wants to force people into artificial harmony (by forcing roles and duties on them) instead of letting people discover it for themselves.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Personally I'm hoping it's not going to be as obvious as two teams working towards eternal day and eternal night.

That seems the popular choice among fans but it just seems so boring. It's just like the third gen games with a new lick of paint.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Gonna more or less repeat what I said in the last thread about this topic:

Team Zodiac. They see everyone as having a destiny, a role to fill. Of course only their glorious leader(s) know what those roles are. They'll encourage people to voluntarily give up their lifestyles (and their Pokemon) to fulfill those roles, and force people if they don't. It'll be cult-like with the grunts who will all praise their leader, wear uniform clothing, and talk about how fulfilled they feel now that they're "following" their destiny. But regular people can be also swayed by the idea (who wouldn't want to fulfill their destiny?) so this Team Evil won't be immediately evil looking until they start to force people who don't want to go along with them. They'll use a good amount of Psychic-type Pokemon, maybe some Dark-types or Fairy-types but they won't have to stick to typical bad guy Pokemon.

The theme of this team, I think, would tie in to the idea of harmony and balance, which I'm guessing will be part of the theme of these games. Team Zodiac wants to force people into artificial harmony (by forcing roles and duties on them) instead of letting people discover it for themselves.
    This is a really neat idea! The idea of the zodiac and destiny ties in well with "sun and moon" without being completely reliant upon those two celestial objects. And using destiny, harmony, and balance as themes can create some really philosophical characters and scenarios. I like it!

Although I hope they don't use too many Dark-Types because then we might not get a Dark-Type Gym again but I can imagine Psychic would be really appropriate for a team whose leader can apparently divine peoples' destinies.

Personally I'm hoping it's not going to be as obvious as two teams working towards eternal day and eternal night.

That seems the popular choice among fans but it just seems so boring. It's just like the third gen games with a new lick of paint.
    Now that you mention it, I can definitely see the relation with the gen 3 villains. But since Hoenn already got its time in the limelight with ORAS, I don't think I'd want a lot of parallels drawn to Magma and Aqua. Depending on their goals, I'd say drawing parallels to Team Galactic would be more appropriate, as their goals are more inherently driven by space-related things (and maybe act as hinting towards DPP remakes if they've planned for that).

Jeischita_Homaji

Resident of the Acalia Region
    Years
  • What if Team Solar and Team Lunar aren't just your average bad teams, what if they are cults trying to ressurect their respective ancient gods (I.e. the legendaries of each game).

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • What if Team Solar and Team Lunar aren't just your average bad teams, what if they are cults trying to ressurect their respective ancient gods (I.e. the legendaries of each game).

Didn't Team Magma and Team Aqua had a similar goal? Yes, they were trying to expand the land/sea but in order they revived Groundon and Kyogre and had a huge amount of respect for Groundon/Kyogre.

Back