• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battling Terms.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    All done. I added many terms. Feel free to edit this out, Itachi and Sims. I tried to organize this, but Notepad was being weird.

Tiers:
    OU- Overused-Standard pokemon in competitive play
    BL- Borderline-Banned from UU, and seen in OU/standard play, but not as much as standards
    UU- Underused-Pokemon that are uncommon in standard play, and they have their own metagame
    NU- Neverused-Pokemon very rarely seen in standard play, and usually have many flaws.

Difference between legendaries and ubers:
    Legendaries-The legendaries are these, (And regigagas due to his ability). as well as
    Celebi and Jirachi. They ARE allowed in standard play

Moltres
    Celebi
    Jirachi
    Regigagas
    Registeel
    Regice
    Regirock
    Articuno
    Zapdos
    Entei
    Suicune
    Raikou
    Shaymin
    Heatran
    Phione
    Uxie
    Mesprit
    Manaphy
    Azelf

Ubers sometimes mixed up with Legendaries, are pokemon that have amazingly excellent stats, and are therefore banned from competitive battling. Such as the lati@s with soul dew. They either have tremendous stat distibution, typing, and/or movepool.

Rayquaza.
    Mewtwo.
    Mew. Maybe Choice Scarf Heracross may be able to outspeed, and get a Stab'ed or Same type attack Bonus, Megahorn in.
    Arceus.
    Darkrai
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Deoxys, every form.
    Groudon
    Kyogre
    Ho-oh
    Lugia
    Wobbafeut.
    Common terminology/nicknames for moves/pokemon/roles:

DD-Dragon Dance.
    WoW-Will-o-Wisp.
    SD-Swords Dance

CM- Calm Mimd

HP- Hidden power, in which, has now become special no matter what type it happeneds to be.

EQ- Earthquake

Sub-Substitute

SR-Stealth Rock

Tauntdos/Tauntrados-Gyarados with taunt and DD in it's moveset, a Pokemon containing 4 moves obviosuly.

SpecsMence-Choice Specs Salamence.

CMcune-Calm Mind Suicune.

Tanks-Pokemon who be defensive as well dish out some attacks of their own. An example would be Rhyperior.

Trapper: A pokemon that uses moves like fire spin, mean look, etc. to trap the foe.
    Curselax-the pokemon snorlax with the move "curse" in its moveset
    Zam-The pokemon alakazam
    DDmence-Salamence with DD and physical attacks
    (Tyrani)boah-a mixed, subpunching tyranitar
    CB-Choice Band

Annoyer-A pokemon that is annoying for the foe to KO, such as flinchax togekiss, because it is very hard to hit without flinching, thus making it an annoyer. Umbreon and ludicolo are other examples.

Special Sweeper- A pokemon who has a great sp.atk and speed usually, and has a movepool of
    sp.attacks to choose from. May have choice specs/scarf or a stat-up move like CM or Nasty Plot.

Physical Sweeper-, Same as above, except dishes out Physical attacks. May carry choice Band/scarf, and might have stat-up moves like Swords Dance.

Hazer/PHazer-Hazer-a pokemon that uses the move "haze" to eliminate stat changes, a PHazer being a pokemon who has roar/whirlwind, which has the same effect

Physical Wall- A pokemon who has a great defense, and can survive quite a few physical attacks, as well as usually stats infecting. Also often have a HP restoring move like rest.

Special Wall-Same as above, except specializing in sp. def. A great one is spiritmomb, no weaknesses. As well as being able to stop Physical Sweeper in their tracks, with Wow or Will-o-wisp like I explained. Also often carry moves like recover or rest.

BPer-Or Baton Passer, Passes stats effects to other pokemon. Such as: Agility, Substitute, mean look, etc.

Spiker-A pokemon that lays down toxic spikes, SR, or spikes, and ususally has good defense(s), like Skarmory. Many also carrie Roar or whirlwind.

Ev's- Effort Values, Must have at least 510, to stand any chance at competitive battling. There are guides about these, as they take too long to explain.

Iv's- Individual Values, check out the guides again, though this is easier to explain. IVs range from 0-31, and effect a pokemon's max stats accordingly. For example, 2 suicune with the same EVs, nature, and moveset could be far different in stats due to high or low IVs. While breeding, the father and mother influence the baby's IVs.

Thanks list: mustbe18toryde.
    Seribii

There you go.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Oh, I forgot to put in heal beller/cleric on there. And rapid spinner. Oh, make sure you mention skarmbliss and what exactly that is so "beginners" know what it is.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Hmm.. Manaphy is nowhere in range of having a bad movepool.. its the COMPLETE opposite of what you have typed.
    EXAMPLE!
    Manaphy@Leftovers/Damp Rock
    Trait : Hydration
    Moves :
    Surf/Ice Beam
    Tail Glow/Toxic
    Rain Dance/Surf/Ice Beam IF you have another Rain Dancer.
    Rest

Hydration cures status.. includes sleep. So if Manaphy uses Rest, it'll gain not only full health, but it does NOT sleep because of Hydration. It also has Tail Glow, and Surf combination which gives it even power to eliminate Blissey. Having 100 in ALL stats means that it's one hard Poke to take down.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yeah, I just editted that out b/c people said so...I haven't the slightest clue about manaphy, so you all can debate that.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    So, what is the final copy of this gonna look like? That way you can edit that 1st post for the world to see.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Yeah, I've got time on my hands too...I could do it, but you would risk me recommending CB blissey...yeah, I'm kidding. Yes, just be sure to put in:

Rapid Spinner-A pokemon that uses the move "rapid spin" to rid the team of SR, spikes, and toxic spikes. However, ghost pokemon absorb it and must be defeated or PHazed to use the move.

Cleric/Heal Beller-A pokemon that uses aromatherapt or heal bell to rid the team of status condtions. Works well with a team of many pokemon that know rest or are prone to many status conditions, or both.

Skarmbliss-The wall combo of skarmory (phys. wall) and blissey (sp. wall) to wall physical and special attacks respectively. Most good teams have a skarmbliss counter, such as tyraniboah.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    No entirely. We can't have 3 seprate definitions. Thats even more confusing. You can see that Anti added things I didn't, and vice versa. So just combine the three. If you need me to do it, just shout.

Did I combine them? (filler).

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Almost..,.now you combined the edits...maybe just delete the original. But yeah, me or sims could do it for you if you needed to. You don't need to wrap it in quotews either, just give us credit for helping, and I'm fine.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Ubers - Mewtwo, Mew, Wynaut, Wobbuffet, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latias(If holding Soul Dew), Latios(If holding Soul Dew), Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Manaphy(Depends), Giratina, Darkrai, Arceus

Now, I'm not completely sure about this list, but this is what I really think is correct :)

OU or BL -
    A - Alakazam, Azelf, Arcanine, Aerodactyl, Armaldo, Ambipom, Abomasnow
    B - Blissey, Blaziken, Breloom, Bastiodon, Bronzong
    C - Claydol, Cresselia, Cloyster, Celebi, Charizard, Crobat
    D - Dugtrio, Drapion, Dragonite, Donphan, Dusknoir, Dodrio
    E - Electivire, Exeggutor, Espeon, Empoleon
    F - Foretress, Feraligator, Flygon, Floatzel
    G - Gengar, Gyarados, Garchomp, Gliscor, Gardevoir, Gallade, Glaceon
    H - Heracross, Honchkrow, Hippowdon
    I - Infernape
    J - Jolteon, Jirachi, Jynx, Jumpluff
    K - Kingdra
    L - Lucario, Lapras, Ludicolo, Leafeon
    M - Mr. Mime, Medicham, Milotic, Metagross, Magnezone, Machamp, Miltank, Mamoswine, Mismagius, Magmortar, Muk
    N - Ninjask
    O - None O_o
    P - Porygon-Z, Pikachu(Light Ball)
    Q - None
    R - Raikou, Regice, Registeel, Regirock, Rhyperior, Roserade
    S - Snorlax, Steelix, Skarmory, Suicune, Swampert, Salamence, Slowbro, Steelix, Scizor, Sceptile, Swellow, Slaking, Staraptor, Spiritomb, Scyther
    T - Tyranitar, Tauros, Typhlosion, Torterra, Tangrowth, Togekiss
    U - Umbreon
    V - Vaporeon, Venusaur
    W - Weezing, Weavile
    X - None
    Y - Yanmega
    Z - Zapdos, Zangoose

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Ah, but arogornbird said we shouldn't, or can't, make a tier list. Which I agree, isn't too helpful. They are usually incomplete.

True, but many players want to know the DEAD obvious ones like Aerodactyl being OU, or Steelix being BL

I agree that tier lists are incomplete, but since we know SOME of them in which are obviously OU or UU or even NU.

you spelled Aragornbirds' name wrong >.> He hates you know gahahahah :)

Last edited:
    Back