• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Arcanine and his moves.....

P*O*K*E*H*A*X*E*R

Pikachu Slapper Jr.
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2007
    Hey, I just caught a Arcanine level 33 and it has

-bite
    -ember
    -roar
    -odor sleuth

also, can it learn any more moves since it's an arcanine, cause i want flamethrower.

Also I was thinking of giving it the Tms arial ace and hyper beam, what moves do you think will make him succesful, I want to take him to 100!

Persona

Banned
    Years
    What's the nature of your Arcanine? I'd prefer it having Adamant.

- Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power
    - Howl
    - Extremespeed

If Arcanine's attack is higher than its special attack, then it would be fitted as a physical sweeper. Howl will give a boost to its attack stat, so you'll have a better advantage. Extremspeed has 100% accuracy, having it gain speed in battle as well. Considering you mentioned Flamethrower to be recieving a place, it would be fine to include it, though I prefer Overheat, in my opinion.

LawLessChaoz

LawLessChaotic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Where did you catch a Arcanine from??? I only found Growlithe.

Don't give it Hyper Beam or Aerial Ace.

Xylitol

*Insert pun here*
    Years
    i'm not sure with this but i guess you should have flame whell on it....?

Only if it's going to be used in Diamond/Pearl. If not, then the answer is no.
    I like that idea about Overheat and some physical attacks, just like you mentioned Extremespeed. Arcanine's base attack is a bit higher than Sp.Atk, anyway.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    This belongs in the GB strategies moveset, but for an in-game Arcanine I'd suggest:

- Fire Blast/Overheat
    - Howl
    - Extremespeed/Body Slam/Return/Double-Edge
    - Iron Tail/Aerial Ace

And never give anything Hyper Beam. Period. You'll do more damage in two turns with a slightly weaker move than you'll do with Hyper Beam in two turns because of the recharge.

P*O*K*E*H*A*X*E*R

Pikachu Slapper Jr.
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2007
    thanks alot people! now my question is where do i get all these moves, will he learn them himself or what?

Also, to the person wondering how I caught an arcanine, I just edited all the wild pokemon in my rom :)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Arcanine @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Howl
    - Extremespeed
    - Fire Blast/Overheat
    - Iron Tail

Arcanine @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    - Crunch
    - Sunny Day
    - Extremespeed

Serebii is awesome...

Darkside

Michael Myers
    Years
    Arcanine can have Flamethrower without a TM. Just train it as a Growlithe to lvl. 49 and it will learn it. BUT, Then use Fire stone and it will learn rihgt after evolving Extremespeed. Easy, quick to evolve as a Growlithe, and i suggest Leftovers and Moves:
    -Flamethrower
    -Extremespeed
    -Fire Blast/Aerial Ace
    -Overheat

And Lonely,Calm,Hardy and Brave nature rule! BUT DONT HAVE A POKEMON EVER HAVE A CAREFUL NATURE!!!! (lowers Sp.Atk. to 100 at lvl 100 with male Blastoise (for example))

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Arcanine can have Flamethrower without a TM. Just train it as a Growlithe to lvl. 49 and it will learn it. BUT, Then use Fire stone and it will learn rihgt after evolving Extremespeed. Easy, quick to evolve as a Growlithe, and i suggest Leftovers and Moves:
    -Flamethrower
    -Extremespeed
    -Fire Blast/Aerial Ace
    -Overheat

And Lonely,Calm,Hardy and Brave nature rule! BUT DONT HAVE A POKEMON EVER HAVE A CAREFUL NATURE!!!! (lowers Sp.Atk. to 100 at lvl 100 with male Blastoise (for example))
    What the heck? O.o You either use Flamethrower, Fire Blast or Overheat, but not any combination of the three.

And how does Careful lower a level 100 Blastoise's Sp.Attackk to 100 when its lowest possible Sp.Attack at level 100 is 152? In fact, the highest possible level when a Blastoise can have 100 Sp.Attack is at level 63. =P

Darkside

Michael Myers
    Years
    Excuse me, i meant ABOUT 100 Sp. Atk. Mine had...182?! Oh, well, Not 200, then. BUT, if Arcanine has the right nature, the FIRE moves are a heck of a STAB. Sorry to take your time if i am wrong.

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    BUT, if Arcanine has the right nature, the FIRE moves are a heck of a STAB. Sorry to take your time if i am wrong.
    But you don't need 3 or 4 STAB moves, one is enough and having more than one would seriously limit the versatility of Arcanine.

Lapras1016

Water Poképhilic PKMN Master
    Years
    I like to use an Arcanine as well. It's among the really few non-legendaries with base stat total of >530 (at 555).

For me, this is the perfect Arcanine.

Arcanine @Leftovers
    Ability: Flash Fire OR Intimidate
    Nature: Adamant (-Sp. Atk, +Atk.)
    Aerial Ace
    Iron Tail
    Extremespeed
    Overheat
    EV's: 252 Attack, 46 Special Attack, 212 Speed

Since you only have a STABbed Overheat, Adamant works well since three of its attacks are Physical. Max Attack is used to maximize the damage. Aerial Ace and Extremespeed are there to always hit, and Iron Tail can defeat Rock-types, which those two can't hit well. Overheat is there to counter Grass, Ice, or Steel types. Intimidate can lower your opponent's Attack (equivalent to increasing your Defense), or Flash Fire can come in handy powering up Overheat, but needs prediction.

Back