• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alcohol

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    Nope, I don't drink it for spiritual and religious reasons. Alcohol is no good for the body and definitely is not beneficial health wise, spiritually, and mentally. So why should I drink it if it's going to cause harm and disabilities? That being said and I've no right to criticize my religious beliefs such as to abstain from drinking alcoholic beverages, heroin and other intoxicants.

Years
  • I don't drink and, though I like to think I'm an open person about most things, where alcohol is involved I become a close-minded and unreasonable prude. (There's some kind of irony there.) I justify this stance because I've had a cousin die from drinking carelessly and another who was run over by a drunk driver and suffered severe brain damage. I also have some family members who aren't very responsible when it comes to alcohol. Generally, even though my brain knows better, my gut feeling is that there can't be such a thing as "drinking responsibly". I don't mean to be insulting, but most of the times I've seen or heard about people drinking have involved crying or belligerence or outright stupidity resulting in personal harm so what else can I feel?

I don't drink, but I can't say I don't think about it a lot. For the past couple years I've come to the conclusion that I'm definitely depressed, but I don't want to admit it to anyone in real life because I'm somewhat embarrassed/ashamed. I actually tried talking to my parents about it at one point, but they pretty much passed it off as I was just in a bad mood at the time. So I've given up on really telling anyone. Which brings me to the whole to drink or not drink situation.

Part of me just wants to go and drink so I don't have to think about why I'm upset for a while. At the same time I really don't want to disappoint myself. I'm also hesitant because I don't want to start drinking my feelings and have that become a reoccurring habit. So I always have these two choices in my head, feel like crap or really disappoint myself. Then on top of that I always have two different comments coming in at me all the time. I'll either get the, "I really respect you for your choices." or the "Lololol just drink and get over it." I'm stuck at a crossroad I suppose~

Also I actually sympathize with people who get drunk every night so they can suppress their feelings. I guess it's one of those things that from far away it's easy to judge and assume, but unless you really know what it feels like to be depressed and either have no one to go to/feel ashamed then you'll never really get it.
    Depression is awful, but not something to be ashamed about however shameful it may seem. I'd encourage you to find someone who will listen to you, someone who won't dismiss your feelings as a bad mood. Talking openly about it can help a little, if only to let you express yourself and feel like someone has finally heard you. For personal reasons I'd wish to see you avoid alcohol entirely, but even someone who is more level headed than I am would probably tell you that you want to deal with your depression directly instead of doing something that will let you avoid confronting it. At least I hope so. Alcohol is such a part of nearly every culture that we might downplay the effect it has in a lot of cases. Anyway, in practical terms you won't necessarily know whether it will actually make you feel better or worse so if you're going to try it at least take it slowly and do all the regular things to keep yourself safe.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Now, no remarks from Went about beer love please....... Though I might have them coming:

I drink because I like the sight of shimmering, golden beer in a big glass before me, and I like the taste and the pleasant feeling of it going down my throat :D (I'd totally be a dwarf if I lived in a fantasy world)

A certain amount of beer or wine can make a dinner or an evening with friends a little less strict and more fun. Alcohol has it's funny effects, as long as you don't overdo it.

I don't like stronger alcoholic beverages, I never drink stronger things than beer or wine for the taste. Only to get drunk at parties sometimes, because, face it: it can be fun to be drunk, and you dare to be more social.

I don't look down on people who don't drink. It's their choice and I think they are wise to not do it, as it's proven to be unhealthy. Rather, I look down slightly upon people who drink several times a week, and way too much at that. People who drink for the sake of drinking.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Do you drink alcohol?
    No.

If not, why not?
    I've been around alcohol since I could walk. My friends have offered it to me since I was 14. I wouldn't like to disclose the whole truth, but alcohol's caused some serious crap here. Hospital, death, DUI, prison, divorce? Maybe. Maybe all. I don't like the smell and later side effects. I despise alcoholics. I can't stand being in the same room with them. Then, I had to be in the same car with them because I couldn't drive myself home when I was younger. Bravo for lacking a brain. Go seek help. Do your own thing, who cares, but do be responsible and courteous to others. Just don't pass out on my toilet.

What's your opinion on the laws about alcohol? Do you think they're too strict, too lax?
    ban ban ban.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Do you drink alcohol?
    No, and I don't plan on it anytime soon.

If not, why not?
    Partly because of bad experiences within my family, and partly because I really have no reason to.

Is it a bad thing to drink alcohol?
    I don't think it's bad when people have it in moderation, but it starts becoming a bad thing if you drink too much and too often.

Is it because you dislike the taste, or the effect?
    Seeing some of the negative effects it can have, I'd go with that.

What would your opinion be on someone who gets drunk every night?
    They either have some issues that need to be dealt with and should seek help, but if it's voluntary, I could honestly care less as to what happened to them.

What's your opinion on the laws about alcohol? Do you think they're too strict, too lax?
    I wish I could say that they were too lax, but in all reality, they're right about where they should be (banning alcohol wouldn't really work, because the consumption was even greater than normal the last time they tried outlawing it). The only thing that I think should be changed is to have a higher penalty for those illegally drinking (underage, drinking & driving, etc.). This wouldn't really effect most people, but hopefully it would teach a few people to be more responsible when drinking.

Years
  • Do you drink alcohol?
    Yes.

If so, why?
    Good way to relax and loosen up a bit. There's also a state of intoxication at which everything is really funny and it's just easier to have a good time. Not that it's necessary...

To those that do drink alcohol, do you only do so in the company of others as a social thing, or do you usually drink alone?
    I only drink more than one drink in the company of friends. There's people to look out for you and as I said before, it adds to a party atmosphere. I might have one drink to help relax after a long day at work. It helps to leave the mindset of work, as I tend to get locked into certain mindsets after a long period of thinking in a certain way. That said, the way I mix my rum and coke probably amounts to about 2.5 standard drinks in one. :P

The laws in Australia are 18 and above. I think that's perfectly reasonable, although I think that underage drinking laws need to be enforced better.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Do you drink alcohol?
    No.

If not, why not?
    I'm underage, and don't really have a positive viewpoint on alcohol.

Is it a bad thing to drink alcohol? Is it because you dislike the taste, or the effect? What would your opinion be on someone who gets drunk every night?

Alcohol consumption isn't necessarily bad. Some might drink it to suppress their problems, some for the taste, others on occasion. Over consumption, however, I think is bad. I've been around some people who've let alcohol affect their social norms, and it isn't the most pleasing prospect of alcoholism. Alcohol, if to an extent, I think is fine.
    I'm not much acquainted with the taste of alcohol. I've only had a few sips, if any, in my entire life ..and I can't say I like the taste either. I don't know whether my viewpoint will contrast when I step up in life, but I've never considered consuming alcohol to solve problems.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • Beh. I only have like one or two glasses of wine once every few weeks on a Saturday. I know I'm wise enough to keep to that limit, and not go overboard and get drunk. I have never been drunk, and I don't intend to get drunk. Ever. I do not have a problem with overly drunk people. However, I do feel sorry for them.. I know they may do it socially, but yeah, I feel sorry for them incase they make a fool out of themselves, like being sick on streets and stuff. :| Can't be helped, I guess.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • Do you drink alcohol ?
    Yes :D

If so, why?
    Drinking sometimes is fun but it's not a good thing to take way too much so that you'd "fall asleep" and puke. I drink 0-2 times a week (really depending on the parties held at the university) and if I happened to return to my hometown for the weekend, I might go to a night bar on Saturday.

My way of drinking is very normal to the country where I'm from and I really think people who drink often (over 3 times a week) are stupid.
    Besides, I know a few people who don't drink at all and I'm not saying it's a superb thing or anything but I don't really mind either. I think it's okay to both drink and not to drink.

I drink when I'm with other people, mostly with some of my friends. I can't really remember even taking a single beer or anything without someone being there with me :O

Here is also a bonus question:
    Do you prefer strong drinks to mild ones ?

I myself like drinking strong drinks a lot but I don't drink too large amounts of them at the same time :D
    Usually half of the alcohol drunk as mild (beers, long drinks etc.) and the other half as strong drinks works as a good ratio for me.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I've not drank alcohol as I'm under aged, and I really don't plan too. If I do in the future though I'd likely to be drunk on a the first pint. I don't see that much problem on alcohol consumption some is for depression, for fun, and for other reasons and that's their choice if they want to drink it, I don't think I should look down to their choice. They will be the one's affecting their bodies. I do see getting drunk as a problem, but there will be always someone who will get drunk.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
  • So let me ask this: would a party without alcohol LESS fun than a party WITH alcohol? What have we devolved to? Darwin must be shaking his head 6 feet underground.

SamuraiMaster

and his son, Layne (Buizel).
    Years
  • So let me ask this: would a party without alcohol LESS fun than a party WITH alcohol? What have we devolved to? Darwin must be shaking his head 6 feet underground.

Personally as I have said before, it all depends. Some people have trouble being social, (like me) and alcohol helps loosen the tongue. Yes, no one likes chaotic drunks, but from some responses I've seen here, a lot of people are basically saying, alcohol is a tool of the devil.

I could also play the card that 'Hey! Jesus turned water into wine once.'

I know some people have had bad history with friends and loved ones and alcohol, and I really do offer my sympathy, but that doesn't mean that's how it is with everyone else. Not every person with a bottle in their hand is going to raise hell and get himself or someone else killed.

I mean last night, I was depressed. I had a drink to help me forget some of that and to escape. That's what a lot of stuff on earth is for. EVERYONE....I am willing to bet.....will at one point at least taste alcohol, if not get drunk at least once. You just need to know when you've had enough, and how to control yourself and be responsible. If you're drinking, and feel it, then just stop drinking. It's that simple. Drink water (do not rush drinking water, as this could cause vomiting), and you won't have killer headaches later.

I'm sure I'm making a good few of you angry, and I apologize, but.....what else can I say? I mean, I'm seeing people who want alcohol banned! It's not gonna happen. Police drink, the president drinks, everyone at one point will take a drink as I said.

If you want to hear something ironic, marijuana isn't nearly as harmful for you as tobacco, or alcohol, and it's banned. We have one crazy government guys. (No, I'm not a pot-head.)

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
  • SamuraiMaster theres a better way to deal with depression then drowning it in alcohol. Once the buss is gone the depression will come back full force. You need to seriously think about talking to somebody you trust about this. Depression isn't something that you just push away, it is a HORRIBLE and serious disease (Not the word I was looking for but it works...I think).

Anyways, no matter how much I would like alcohol to be banned, its not going to be completely banned. Even if it was there would be some that would sneak it in, like those that sneak in drugs.

I guess I am a little bit bias since what my dad went through with alcohol... He was given no hope to recover from alcohol and plently judges had given up on him. Though today he is alcohol free, but I still know what he went through, not all of it because he won't tell us (his kids) all he went through.

I know it won't be banned but I hope that all you that do drink will be careful, I don't want anything to hapen to anybody.

SamuraiMaster

Years
  • SamuraiMaster theres a better way to deal with depression then drowning it in alcohol. Once the buss is gone the depression will come back full force. You need to seriously think about talking to somebody you trust about this. Depression isn't something that you just push away, it is a HORRIBLE and serious disease (Not the word I was looking for but it works...I think).

Anyways, no matter how much I would like alcohol to be banned, its not going to be completely banned. Even if it was there would be some that would sneak it in, like those that sneak in drugs.

I guess I am a little bit bias since what my dad went through with alcohol... He was given no hope to recover from alcohol and plently judges had given up on him. Though today he is alcohol free, but I still know what he went through, not all of it because he won't tell us (his kids) all he went through.

I know it won't be banned but I hope that all you that do drink will be careful, I don't want anything to hapen to anybody.

When you got friends with you, depression DOES go away. I do remember saying I never drink alone. I'm not one to drown it all in alcohol. As I have said before, you just need responsibility. And yeah I'm still a little depressed, and got good reason to be (money sucks people), but yeah, we're careful.

And I know how serious depression is. I've been near the point in suicide, but ever since then, have learned to cope with much of life. The only reason I am depressed right now mostly is because there's a problem that has been introduced to me now, that I need to learn how to handle very soon. It's nothing Im gonna go to the suicide area again, but it's enough to say, I need to go with friends for a while now...

I will say I am worried my friends go over the hedge sometimes, because sometimes they will drink through the night, but I can't really do much to stop it, and to be honest, I think it's just a phase. They're not depressed, they're just having fun, and they're not raising hell. Yes, the day one of them dies due to alcohol consumption, I will probably put the alcohol away for a while, but....what else can I say?

As for your father, as I said above, I am sorry for those of you who have had loved ones go through alcoholic experiences that have almost taken, or taken them away, but sadly......it all falls into one category. Choice. I'm not saying at all that I feel no remorse for what he did, but I will kinda say 'it was his own fault.' Though I will say with complete honesty, I am glad to hear he is sober and doing fine. And if it helps, I will pray he continues to be in such way.

I mean, I have a friend, whose father continues to drink, though he has multiple times gone to rehab, and his body is....well starting to shut down in some areas. It is a very sad thing, and I pray for him and his father, because from what I've heard about his father, when he's sober, he's a really cool man. And I haven't heard from him in a while, but whenever I see him (last time I saw him was a couple months ago) I ask about his father, and he nods and says he's fine. Which means something's working...and I pray it continues working.

I may say there's nothing wrong with drinking as long as you're responsible, but I do not turn a blind eye to the horror it can become.

angel

Kairi's Nobody
    Years
  • I never said you didn't have friends SamauriMaster and I'm glad you do have friends but friends can only do a little. Just having friends doesn't make Depression go away, it helps but doesn't make it go away completely. It'll still be there when your left all alone with just your thoughts.

And as for my father, I wasn't trying to get sympathy I was just stating that that may be the reason I'm alittle biast on this subject. That and another loved one dying while being drunk. I completely agree that it was his choice and its the choice of everybody that does drink. My father was able to overcome the addiction and he's now helping other addicts to become sober.

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's dad. Rehab only helps those that want the help, if the person going into rehab doesn't want the help then rehab isn't going to help.

Whenver I see somebody drinking all I can think about is what could happen. Some don't seem to understand that alcohol isn't harmless. That one drink could get you addicted and before the person knows it they've already had two more glasses. I'm glad there are some out there that are responsible but some aren't. Though like I've said before banning alcohol all together would be almost impossible to enforce since the police have trouble enforcing the twenty-one and up rule as it is. And banning it completely would make a lot of people angry.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • No I don't drink alcohol, firstly because I'm underage, but like Kelp, I don't think I would even if I was of age. I don't really see the point? I can have fun without alcohol at parties and it just means I actually remember the night.

I'm not saying I won't drink in the future, I probably will, I just don't really see the point now.
    plus I'm sahh indie by not drinking when nearly every one my age I know does

SamuraiMaster

Years
  • I'm not sure we're completely understanding each other. But whatever.

My friends have their ways of making a good amount of my depression going away. And I know why you brought your father into it, I'm just being an over-sympathetic guy again (it's a habit).

As for my friends father, I don't know what his deal is. I keep hearing he wants help, but he keeps going back. I can only pray things turn out right. Yeah praying only does so much, but sometimes it helps just thinking you're not alone n this forsaken universe......

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    Yeah, I drink alcohol on occasion, usually when there's a party going on.
    Sometimes I prefer only drinking a bit of it so I am pretty drunk but can still remember the night, but...

(Yeah, I'm underage. xD)

As for what, nothing beats rum + Coke. :] Beer is absolutely disgusting but I drank Four Loko before it was banned

Dude it's all about vodka now. That's the stuff.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
  • I can drink. I just don't do it often. Twice a year, maybe. That's because I drink in parties and stuff where there is alcohol. But I'd be too lazy to search it by myself. And always with people.

I like rum, vodka, wine. Not close to liking everything. I haven't really "experienced the effects" more than twice, and I didn't dislike it (then again, I wasn't that bad either so maybe there's no point). It's just a taste thing.

About people who don't drink, it's okay. Sure, some are overreactive and think drinking a bit of anything will instantly turn you violent or outright make you addicted. To them, I say you try it (of course, with people you can trust in a safe place, with moderation) and see it's not that bad. If you don't like it, at least you can say that instead of guessing. On the other hand, I guess it's better to have a lot of people that think alcohol is bad than to have a lot of people that think alcohol is harmless.

About the laws, at least here, they're really relaxed. If you go to a shop, they'll sell you alcohol without any problem. You don't need to try really hard. (Mind you, the laws do say that they shouldn't sell underage people) But I've not seen a lot of cases where teens cause problems because of that. In fact, most are just being immature, or want to try it, and a lot end up not liking it anyway. Also, for those that do and could one day become bad people, it's not really the alcohol's fault.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I don't drink and even if I do it has to be completely watered down. :/ I'm not fan of the taste.

Back