• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Event 2024 Reading Challenge!

Years
2024 Reading Challenge

2020 Thread | 2021 Thread | 2022 Thread | 2023 Thread

Welcome to the 2024 PokéCommunity Reading challenge!

Here we pledge to read a certain number of books and/or comics in 2024, and try to encourage each other along the way!

FYI:
  • FIVE issues of a comic book series counts as a book.
  • ONE volume of manga counts as a book.
  • You can decide if non-fiction books align with your goals or if only fiction counts for you!

You can track what you read by posting here as you read it, log it on a spreadsheet, or on GoodReads. Feel free to share your GoodReads link with the group :)

I will start by pledging to read 15 books in 2024!

Participants:
  • Starlight, 0/15 Books
  • Charcadet121, 0/50 Books
  • CoolKid575, 3/15 Books
  • Cherrim, 0/30 Books
  • Soaring Sid, 0/20 Books
  • Janp, 2/25 Books
  • Megan, 0/9 Books
  • NipahRika, 0/4 Books
  • Astinus, 9/14 Books
  • LeonardEngland, 0/10 Books
  • Ivysaur, 4/70 Books
  • Lapis_Laz95, 0/5 Books
  • gimmepie, 4/20 Books
  • Arcaneum, 0/15 Books
  • Aquacorde, 2/15 Books
  • Tsutarja, 1/6 Books
  • professor plum, 2/10 Books

Last edited by a moderator:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I'm going to say 30 non-manga books of any kind, so I'll include graphic novels this time.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
I remember it like yesterday, posting here.
Anyway, here we go again.

I couldn't meet my goal of 10 books last year, nor could I meet the goal of 20 books before that.
Heck, I think I'll challenge myself instead of lowering the books to read.

I shall read ......
20 books!

I won't include mangas into this.

Hope I meet my goals this time at least!

Years
Okay, I'm going to step up my Game for this year. I'm going with the same amount as for my gaming challenge. I'll read 25 books this year. And as always, I won't count any work-related books or research papers. I have to move reading back from work territoty to fun territory.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'll participate. But I think I'll do things a little differently. So, instead of setting a fixed amount I'll pick a set list of books I want to read. That's because I want to finish the last remaining Discworld books I haven't read, yet:

- Going Postal
- Thud!
- Wintersmith
- Making Money
- Unseen Academicals
- I Shall Wear Midnight
- Snuff
- Raising Steam
- The Shepherd's Crown

That's nine books in total. I may change things when I'm done with those. E.g. I still have a bunch of Jules Verne books I haven't read, yet.

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen yesterday
I always set this on my Goodreads account every year, but never ever end up reading any books I'll admit. I wanna try it this year, so maybe I'll go with a small objective of like..4? Maybe I'll find shorter books or so then I may do it. :P

Years
I remember it like yesterday, posting here.
Anyway, here we go again.

I couldn't meet my goal of 10 books last year, nor could I meet the goal of 20 books before that.
Heck, I think I'll challenge myself instead of lowering the books to read.

I shall read ......
20 books!

I won't include mangas into this.

Hope I meet my goals this time at least!

I like the fire! This will be the year! 😊

Okay, I'm going to step up my Game for this year. I'm going with the same amount as for my gaming challenge. I'll read 25 books this year. And as always, I won't count any work-related books or research papers. I have to move reading back from work territoty to fun territory.

Welcome again, and best of luck!!!

I'll participate. But I think I'll do things a little differently. So, instead of setting a fixed amount I'll pick a set list of books I want to read. That's because I want to finish the last remaining Discworld books I haven't read, yet:

- Going Postal
- Thud!
- Wintersmith
- Making Money
- Unseen Academicals
- I Shall Wear Midnight
- Snuff
- Raising Steam
- The Shepherd's Crown

That's nine books in total. I may change things when I'm done with those. E.g. I still have a bunch of Jules Verne books I haven't read, yet.

Oh that's a very neat way of doing it! 🤔

I always set this on my Goodreads account every year, but never ever end up reading any books I'll admit. I wanna try it this year, so maybe I'll go with a small objective of like..4? Maybe I'll find shorter books or so then I may do it. :P

Same! 2024 will be different though mark my words!

All of you lovely peeps should be added to the first post 😊

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Hey! I guess I missed last year, but I'm going to join this one with some 70 books.

Speaking of which, I already read Were you still up for Portillo?, by Brian Cathcart; Aftermath, By Harald Jahner, Unidad de Vigilancia Lingüística, by Isaías Lafuente, and El pacto, by Paco Sordo.

So that's 4/70 so far!

Years
My goal for this year will be: 14 books!

That's currently what I have in my pile, but the books might change.

Welcome once more! I hope you have fun reading all those!

I think I am comfortable with 10, any suggestions?

What genres do you generally enjoy Leonard?

Hey! I guess I missed last year, but I'm going to join this one with some 70 books.

Speaking of which, I already read Were you still up for Portillo?, by Brian Cathcart; Aftermath, By Harald Jahner, Unidad de Vigilancia Lingüística, by Isaías Lafuente, and El pacto, by Paco Sordo.

So that's 4/70 so far!

Still really enjoying your reading I see!!! Great to have you back!

The first post has been updated with everyone's goals 😊

Years
Phew, I started strong this year. I finished 2 books already. And both of them still in January. If I can keep this up, I'll surely finnish my goal in no time.

A Brief History of Black Holes: And why nearly everything you know about them is wrong by Dr Becky Smethurst
I was always fascinated by the cosmos and I love Dr Becky's videos on YouTube, so I decided to get her book. It was great journey throught the history astrophysics. I learned so much about physics and black holes. Hopefully I'll remember something from it.

Fairy Tale by Stephen King
King is my favourite author, but it took my way too long to get to this book. It sit in my bookcase for almost a year. But I finally got around reading it. It was fun. But as good as some other King novels, but I enjoyed it. I feel like it was too long for a simple story it tried to tell. But I liked the world of Empis and the horror-ish state it was in during the story. Happy ending was also unusual for King.

Goal: 2/25

Years
I'm off to an OK start for this year. The only book I finished this month was Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Granted, it was through school; but I still found it a decent novella. The main thing I liked about it was the atmosphere, I really got a Depression era vibe from the book, and you could tell how nearly everyone on the ranch is desperate. I also enjoyed the tragedy of Candy, George and Lennie almost gathering enough money to buy the land, but Lennie screwing it up and George being forced to kill him. It's admittedly simple and basic; but it's taught for a reason.

Current Status: 1/15

Years
Progress report... I actually started a book! Yep me! Thanks to our dear Megan, I finally started reading Pratchett again.

I decided to begin with the Tiffany Aching series because they are YA books so they're not full of stuff I don't want to deal with right now. They are not epicly long either, and they also resonate with me quite a bit.

My grandfather was basically Tiffany's granny. Tiffany's life was similar to my own for a good chunk of my childhood. I always enjoy discovering the wee bits and pieces Terry put in that were actually based on genuine real-life.

I'm about halfway through The Wee Free Men so far, but unfortunately had to take a break for a while as my head wasn't playing ball. I will hopefully get that finished soon then I can get on to the rest of them! 📚

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
Updating this before I forget what I've read so far!

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - So far, the best book that I've read this year. It was a character study of a family of Asian-Americans living in 1977 Ohio. Fascinating and personal, and it says something when I can remember where I was when I started reading it.

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt - I...did not understand the hype for this book at all. Very basic writing. Very predictable plot. Very annoying characters.

The Goodbye Cat by Hiro Arikawa - A decent collection of short stories centered around cats. Quite a few of them had sad endings, so be wary if anyone picks this up.

Wolfsong and Ravensong by TJ Klune - The Green Creek series was an unexpected find that came to me at the right time. For personal reasons, I enjoy it, even if the writing feels a little...fanfic-y? But I'm looking forward to reading the next two books, which says something.

Total: 5/14

Years
The Goodbye Cat by Hiro Arikawa - A decent collection of short stories centered around cats. Quite a few of them had sad endings, so be wary if anyone picks this up.
You absolutely sold me at cats... then I read the rest of the post 😭

Also everyone's progress should be updated 😊

Back