• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Pokemon White Ground Mono part 2

Spoiler:

Current Team

Spoiler:

I've started the Pokemon Ultra Moon Ghost Monotype challenge tonight. I've never played USUM in full before. I only made it past the first totem Pokemon the first time, but I just wasn't feeling the team I'd selected. Most of the Alolan Pokemon I actively like are ghost-type, so I thought, "Man, forget it! Yo, home, to Bel Air!" I've got my team more or less decided on at the moment. I'll update as things progress, but for now, I'll say that I got an Adamant-natured Rowlet second try, and I'm really thankful for that because I was not prepared for Professor Kukui to give a college lecture while I picked my starter. I'm not nicknaming my Pokemon this playthrough because that would involve naming them after dead guys, and I don't think I'm ready for that.

Name: Reggie
Type: Ghost
Game: Pokémon Ultra Moon
Challenge Type: Single
Standard Mode: In a sequentially ranked hierarchy based on level of critical importance, the disparity between us is too vast to quantify. (Translation: "Standard")

Ultimate Dark Run
Gold / First and Final / Man, Dark

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
Spoiler:

The full read:
Spoiler:

The first update for UM is coming, but I haven't made progress the last day or two, so please be patient.

I'm looking over some of what Stenir wrote regarding the Elite Four, and I feel like I should try Set Mode out sometime. I should probably try it with a casual run first though, so I know what I'm getting into. I actually find it weird that this is the only built-in challenge mode for most Pokemon games*, yet I've never seriously tried it out. I just feel like that's not what I look for in a challenge mode. (Someone once proposed the idea that there'd be a middle option where you can switch your Pokemon for free, but the game won't tell you the next opposing Pokemon. I'm curious how that would work out... or maybe it would be dumb. I don't know.)

*I know about B2W2's challenge mode, but they seemingly coded that wrong. I've never tried it out for myself, but I think they forgot to change the final stats of each Pokemon.

Pokemon White Ground Mono: Main Game Complete
Spoiler:

Final Main Game Team
Spoiler:

MVP: This is tough. it's between Excadrill and Krookodile. Excadrill's bulk as a Drilbur with Eviolote was crucial earlygame and Sandile was pretty weak, but Krokorok was sweeping whole teams while Excadrill could only manage that like, once. Krookodile also hit like a truck and there were times when it felt like Excadrill was too slow, But i did handle most grass types not named Cheren's Serperior pretty well

Close Call but i'm gonna say Krookodile. Good STAB on both sides plus Moxie is just too strong.

LVP: Stunfisk
I mean, it's not its fault. I didn't get it till 7 gyms in. And it helped in a couple of crucial late battles, just. Not that good overall.

The first update for UM is coming, but I haven't made progress the last day or two, so please be patient.

I'm looking over some of what Stenir wrote regarding the Elite Four, and I feel like I should try Set Mode out sometime. I should probably try it with a casual run first though, so I know what I'm getting into. I actually find it weird that this is the only built-in challenge mode for most Pokemon games*, yet I've never seriously tried it out. I just feel like that's not what I look for in a challenge mode. (Someone once proposed the idea that there'd be a middle option where you can switch your Pokemon for free, but the game won't tell you the next opposing Pokemon. I'm curious how that would work out... or maybe it would be dumb. I don't know.)

*I know about B2W2's challenge mode, but they seemingly coded that wrong. I've never tried it out for myself, but I think they forgot to change the final stats of each Pokemon.

Honestly, set mode didn't really feel any different across the run. I did notice I tried to have more coverage on each of my team as I went, just on the off chance the opposing trainer switched into something I could still do damage with. That's why I ended up having, for example, Houndoom with a Ghost move. I even thought about teaching Surf to Sneasel at one point. I decided against it in the end, but I did think about it.

If you're clicking super fast, Set mode is easy to ignore because it's basically the same as accidentally saying "no" to the swap option when a new 'mon is thrown out on the other team.

I would be interested to see one where the swap is free but you don't know what's coming out next, but I do think most of the logic has been mapped for how trainers behave, so it's not hard to figure out what would be thrown out next.

Now, if it randomly adjusted the logic on the fly, that would be interesting. I don't know how it would be adjusted on the fly, but would be fun to play a Pokemon game where an opposing trainer has a "stress" meter, where the closer they are to losing, there's a higher chance they might go off script and do something ridiculous.

Pokemon White Ground Mono Finale
Spoiler:

Final Team
Spoiler:

Ultimate Dark Run
Gold / First and Final / Man, Dark
Sapphire / First and Final / I Swear I Know Which Game I'm Playing (Added because I accidentally missed updating the game I was playing)

Spoiler:

The full read:
Spoiler:

Team Stats:
Spoiler:

Hoenn by Type:
Spoiler:

On to Sinnoh...once I hatch an egg for Murkrow at the beginning...

Last edited:
Oh, jeez, sorry, I keep the same format in a text document and just make updates as I do each new one. Totally had a brain fart and didn't change that.

This was indeed Sapphire. Thanks for catching that. I'll go strikethrough that line and add a better line underneath it in the post.

Ultimate Dark Run
Brilliant Diamond / First Entry / Smaller Posts, Still Going

Spoiler:

The full read:
Spoiler:

Team Stats:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
The Ultimate Monotype Challenge! (Fighting)

Yellow, HeartGold, Sigma Σmerald, Platinum, White 2, X, Ultra Sun, Sword, Violet.

Additional Rules: - No Revives inside battles.
- No PP stalling by healing all the time.
- Set mode for important battles.

1. Started Pokémon X with Chespin!

Started the game, took Chespin as it will evolve into Chesnaught, a Fighting-type, caught a Riolu, and went for the first badge. It was an easy sweep with Chespin's Rollout, both Surskit and Vivilion had nothing to do. The Combee from the previous trainer was actually worse than the gym leader, as I missed 3 Rollout in a row there, and Gust almost killed me. Against the Surskit Rollout missed once as well, 4 out of 5 misses, with 90 accuracy, insane. After getting the badge I also caught a male Ralts, and that's it so far, so yeah, 2 out of 3 are not yet Fighting-types, and not many new things to train compared to my previous monotype runs, but we'll see how it goes.

I actually beat Y on release and never played gen VI again, so a bit less known for me this game. As I remember it being extremely easy, I have turned off the Exp. Share, not gonna use it unless I see myself very underleveled.

Spoiler: Current Pokémon

Number of Gym Badges: 1.

Current Location: Lumiose City.

Number of losses: 0.

Last edited:
Ultimate Dark Run
Brilliant Diamond / Final Entry / Well, That Was Interesting

Spoiler:

The full read:
Spoiler:

Team Stats:
Spoiler:

Hoenn Sinnoh by Type:
Spoiler:

Off to Unova. Catch you after the flight!

Last edited:
What's Hoenn by Type?
I swear, you'd think after this many runs I wouldn't goof. That's supposed to be Sinnoh by type (I'll get it fixed). It's me showing each region, type by type. So, it shows the progression of average level by time across the run. For Sinnoh, you can see how Dark and Grass (and partially Fairy) progressed over time for party level.

I had to shelve the video until early 2025 for numerous reasons. On that note: I swear I'm gonna resume updates to this thread soon, but my best friend is going through a lot of real life BS right now, and I gotta be a good friend to him by participating in the stream chat of his October streams. I thought the Ghost Monotype run would be an excellent thing to do in October, but I don't know one way or the other how much of that I can do this upcoming month. I could get a lot done, or I could get nothing done. It could go either way or some in-between way. There's other stuff I'm doing for my mental health such as reading more. My mom and I agreed to watch TV together every Monday cuz we found a couple cartoons we might both like. I'm continuing to do livestreams of my own with a different circle of friends.

I had to shelve the video until early 2025 for numerous reasons. On that note: I swear I'm gonna resume updates to this thread soon, but my best friend is going through a lot of real life BS right now, and I gotta be a good friend to him by participating in the stream chat of his October streams. I thought the Ghost Monotype run would be an excellent thing to do in October, but I don't know one way or the other how much of that I can do this upcoming month. I could get a lot done, or I could get nothing done. It could go either way or some in-between way. There's other stuff I'm doing for my mental health such as reading more. My mom and I agreed to watch TV together every Monday cuz we found a couple cartoons we might both like. I'm continuing to do livestreams of my own with a different circle of friends.
Take your time if you need to. Video games should be for fun, not a job. Do what's best for your mental health, whether it's reading, spending time with your friends and family, et cetera. Your Pokemon games will still be around if you wait, and so will this website.

Back