• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who's that Pokemon? (super special super spin! update 5/5/24!)

Citra La Magicienne

The Most Inconsistent Forum Poster
Years
  • This is a semi-collaborative Pokemon guessing game, similar to Squirtlenator's original 20 Questions thread, but with enough differences and a long enough time to be remade and have a name change to fit the new style better!

Essentially, one person will choose a Pokemon, and everyone else is on a mission to guess it as fast as possible, only being able to ask one yes-or-no question at a time. Once the Pokemon is guessed, the person who guessed it(or someone else if they don't want to) will choose another Pokemon and continue the cycle!

• There are, of course, proper rules as well:

0. All general PokeCommunity rules apply, however I'm making this rule zero because it is a very important reminder!!! This has always been a fun game with family and friends and I would love to play it with you guys as well.

1. All questions must be STRICTLY yes or no! This means all questions should have objective answers. (No "Would I like X?" or "Is X popular?")
      In the case that someone does ask a subjective question, it's up to the picker if they want to give an answer.

2. Questions can't be number related- no weights/heights, stats or Pokedex numbers. This is to avoid it becoming a number focused game when this is supposed to be about the Pokemon!

3. Alternate forms are not allowed, unless they are one of those listed below, with no exception. If you pick a Pokemon that has forms not on this list, then you're not allowed to pick any specific form. (I.E. No Unown X, or Pokeball Vivillon, just Unown or Vivillon.)
      Alternate Form Exceptions
      - Any regional forms
      - Regular, Mow, Frost, Heat, Fan, and Wash Rotom
      - Land and Sky forme Shaymin
      - Black and White Kyurem
      - Aria and Pirouette Meloetta
      - Confined and Unbound Hoopa
      - Pom-Pom, Baile, P'au, and Sensu Style Oricorio
      - Dusk Mane, Dawn Wings, and Ultra Necrozma
      - Crowned Zacian and Zamazenta
      - Single and Rapid Strike Urshifu
      - Ice and Shadow Rider Calyrex
      - Any convergent Pokemon*
      - Any Paradox Pokemon*
      *these last two might be obvious, but I want to cover the bases. No confusion!

4. The game will continue until the Pokemon is guessed, because I plan on trying to keep track of the longest and shortest time to guess. This is why I say it is semi-collaborative, because you can either try to pick a hard Pokemon and go for a long game, or try to pick an easy Pokemon for a quick game!
      I'll be keeping score here of the shortest and longest guesses, as well as the picker and successful guesser of each one!

!! An important note to this rule and the entire game is that I please ask of you to not tell anyone what Pokemon you've picked anywhere else, since it would very quickly ruin this part of this game! I absolutely will not hesitate to nullify any Pokemon guess for records if I have reason to!!

5. You cannot ask a new question if the picker has not answered your previous one- however, MULTIPLE people are allowed to ask questions between the picker answering! This will hopefully make it not take as long in the case of a slow/unavailable picker, but comes with a trade-off in that EVERY question is counted toward the guess total for the shortest/longest game tally, even if it has already been answered!

6. As for pickers, you are required to answer any new questions between your last post and your current post. However, you are NOT required to put any questions answered before that in your post! This is another trade-off, where a helpful picker might put all the previous answers, while a mischievous picker might not!

7. For questions that might be generation-dependent, make sure to pay attention to tense! Asking if the Pokemon has HAD a signature move is different from asking if the Pokemon HAS a signature move. This also reaches into picker discretion on question interpretation.

• SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPINS!
      added 5/5/2024
      these are really thrown together and absolutely subject to changes, fixes, and clarifications!*

This game has run for a few months, both with and without me.

While you guys are still going along with it all fine and dandy, why not throw in a super special super spin?

These are some gameplay variations that pickers can choose to play.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PLAY A SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPIN! Regular games are super special super fun too :)

If a picker does choose a SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPIN, they must announce it in their first post, along with what spin it is.
      i.e
      "I've picked a Pokemon, and I would like to play Spin X"

Rounds cannot be retroactively made a SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPIN!

SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPINS will NOT be counted towards records other than the SSSS WINS! record!

These are meant to be used to break up the monotony a bit of just regular games, so HAVE FUN!

Spin 1 - I Ain't Calling You a Truther
      Spin 1 - I Ain't Calling You a Truther
      Pickers may LIE! on ONE question!
      The question may not be the first question, or a specific Pokemon guess!
      Each guesser can ask if a previous question was the lie ONCE!
      If 15 questions are asked before a correct guess, then the picker WINS!
      Play may continue, but no other WINS! will be counted.
      If a correct guess is made before that, the correct guesser WINS!
      Spin 2 - Group Guru
      Spin 2 - Group Guru
      The picked Pokemon must be from one of the groups listed in the Groups section!
      Questions regarding the groups are not allowed! (i.e., no "Is it in X group?")
      If 10 questions are asked before a correct guess, then the picker WINS!
      Spin 3 - Fifty-Fifty
      Spin 3 - Fifty-Fifty
      All questions must be asked in PAIRS!
      Pickers may choose one of the two questions to answer!
      The other question is BANISHED! and cannot be asked again!
      If 10 questions are asked before a correct guess, then the picker WINS!
      Spin 4 - Inversion Immersion
      Spin 4 - Inversion Immersion
      Guessers now have the goal of making the game take as LONG! as possible!
      Pickers are trying to make it as SHORT! as possible!
      The picker can offer as much information as they want, as long as it reasonably
      applies to answering a question. This takes some good faith but I believe in y'all!
      "Redundant" questions are NOT allowed!
      i.e., asking if its a specific Pokemon that has been eliminated already, or repeated questions.
      Specific guesses are NOT allowed(nor are guesses that only apply to one Pokemon, i.e. "is it fairy/fighting?")
      If 20 questions are asked before a correct guess, ANY players who made a guess will receive a WIN!
      If guessers are forced into a Pokemon before 20 questions, the picker will receive TWO WINS!
      Citra's Super Special Super Spin Silliness!!!!
      Citra's Super Special Super Spin Silliness!!!!
      ALL OTHER SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPIN RULES APPLY!!!
      Please read the other SPIN! rules if you haven't :)
      Guessers have a LONG!-game goal!
      Pickers have a SHORT!-game goal!
      All questions must be asked in PAIRS!
      Pickers must LIE! on one question!
      The picked Pokemon must be from one of the groups below!
      Play will continue until the Pokemon is guessed!
      All Players will receive a WIN! just for playing!
      The correct guesser will LOSE!
      The picker will receive TWO WINS!
      try it...if you dare!!!!

• Now, I'd like to give some kick-off points:
      Pokemon Groups- these are some groups that have been allowed in games of this I've played, as well as the Pokemon in them. Whether you want to use them is up to you! For any Pokemon listed below that have forms, those forms are NOT considered to be part of that group. (I.E., Alolan Rattata is NOT a Regional Mammal)

Spoiler: Groups

• Question Guide- these are just some simple attributes about a Pokemon that you might ask about, but are by no means the only things you can ask!
      -Typing
      - Home region
      - Does it have alternate forms/is it an alternate form?
      - Evolution line
      - Signature move/ability
      - Home generation
      - Weaknesses/resistances/immunities
      - Does it have a gimmick form?(Megas, G-Maxs, Special Teras)

• Game Example- Here's an example of how a very small and boring round might go, with Mew as the chosen Pokemon:

Picker: Alright, I've chosen!
      Guesser 1: Is it from Gen 4 or older?
      Picker: Yes!
      Guesser 1: Is it from Gen 3?
      Guesser 2: Is it from Gen 2 or 1?
      Picker: No, it's not from gen 3. Yes, it's from gen 2 or 1.
      Guesser 2: Is it a legendary or mythical Pokemon?
      Picker: Yes, it is!
      Guesser 1: Is it a mythical?
      Picker: Yes!
      Guesser 2: Is it Mew?
      Picker: Yes, that was the Pokemon!

Note: Here, Picker and Guesser 2 would be taken for the score. The round was 6 questions overall, which is probably shorter than any real game will be unless someone goes for a far shot and gets lucky. Also, hopefully you'll be more creative with your questions!

• updated 5/5/2024

Shortest Guess- 7 Questions
      Pokemon: Buzzwole
      Picker: Lavender
      Guesser: ReKoil

Longest Guess- 19 Questions
      Pokemon: Volbeat
      Picker: Alex_Among_Foxes
      Guesser: Charcadet121

Most Correct Guesses- 14 Guesses
      1st- Devalue - 14
      2nd- ReKoil - 10
      3rd- Lavender - 6

SUPER SPECIAL SUPER SPIN WINS!- 0
      None yet :3

Last edited:

Citra La Magicienne

Years
  • This seems like a pretty fun game idea! Though I will say to make the return time for a picker be 48 hours at least, in the event a person forgets or is busy with life for a day. That said:

Is it from a Gen older than 4?
    I was already thinking the 24 was too short, but I wasn't sure. def gonna change it now

No, it's 4 or newer!

It floats or flies and is dual typed... better check if it's part Flying type I guess.

Is it part Flying type ?

Nope! Not Flying type!

Years
  • Kinda thinking Psychic type now... though there are Pokemon that float/fly that aren't, like Golurk.

Was it introduced in a game prior to the Switch's Pokemon games?

Citra La Magicienne

Years
  • Is it a Mythical?
    Uh oh. It is!

Kinda thinking Psychic type now... though there are Pokemon that float/fly that aren't, like Golurk.

Was it introduced in a game prior to the Switch's Pokemon games?
    It was before the Switch games, yep!
    (my only reminder so far that it's gen 4 or up, so 4, 5, 6, or 7 :wink:)

Citra La Magicienne

Years
  • Let me guess. Is it Meloetta? :p
    It is! (It's specifically Aria Forme, but a long with ReKoil's next question of Psychic that's basically it ;D)
    A considerably more narrow pool, but there are still a couple options...
    *stares at your avatar and wonders if Meloetta can fly/float...*

Is it part Psychic type?

This was after Alex's guess, but since it would've been yes, it being Aria Forme is a given. I am going to count it towards the questions though >;3

I picked one I hoped would be pretty easy to get us a bit familiar with how it'd work, hope it did for y'all!

The winner for this round is Alex, after 10 questions! Up to you if you wanna pick or let someone else-

Back