• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV What do you like about Steven Universe?

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    So, I'm sort of a "beginner" watcher of the series - I'm still chipping away at the early episodes, but I still wanna hear about you guys who did watch the show: what did you like about it, and what about it appealed to you the most to keep watching?

Would love to hear your responses!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Omg welcome to the cutest show!

I like almost everything about SU. The characters are utterly amazing and all lovable (even the "villains"!). The animation and backgrounds are just stunningly adorable and the mystery and emotion the series is filled with when exploring surprisingly deep topics, is spot on and gets you hooked.

Stay tuned for the fusions ❤️

What I didn't like very much was actually the SU Future post-show. Some eps were great, but others... I won't say more here though, as you haven't seen it, OP ;)

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Omg welcome to the cutest show!

I like almost everything about SU. The characters are utterly amazing and all lovable (even the "villains"!). The animation and backgrounds are just stunningly adorable and the mystery and emotion the series is filled with when exploring surprisingly deep topics, is spot on and gets you hooked.

Stay tuned for the fusions ❤️

What I didn't like very much was actually the SU Future post-show. Some eps were great, but others... I won't say more here though, as you haven't seen it, OP ;)

I'm really loving the characters so far!
    Which one would you say is your fav?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm really loving the characters so far!
    Which one would you say is your fav?
    i absolutely adore Amethyst and Opal. as far as the base gems and chars go, Amethyst is bae. she grows so much through the show.

ofc Sardonyx is also precious. You'll meet her eventually ^^ Oh and Stevonnie is awesome. Again, eventually unless you've met them already.

edit: ALSO LION OFC

Last edited:
    Years
    The overall plot of the show is honestly pretty average for the most part but it makes up for it with excellent characters and character writing and nuanced and interesting portrayals of complicated personal and interpersonal issues. I really appreciate a show that is easily accessible at any age, even if marketed primarily at children, that still takes its audience seriously.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah no, the plot isn't the most amazing in the history of animated media. The plot twists were nice though. I had been spoiled about the first one (end of S1) but the biggest major twist (which is probs all over the internet now so hard to miss) was really cool though. It really made one char who was already complex, suddenly seem like a super complicated messy morally gray person (or the show's main antagonist, even??) and it is always interesting when children's shows dare to go there.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    i absolutely adore Amethyst and Opal. as far as the base gems and chars go, Amethyst is bae. she grows so much through the show.

ofc Sardonyx is also precious. You'll meet her eventually ^^ Oh and Stevonnie is awesome. Again, eventually unless you've met them already.

edit: ALSO LION OFC

The fusions look promising;

I thiiiiink this will be stuck on my head for a long time aha:

Spoiler:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    haha yes i still find myself singing it from time to time 🥰

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Uniqueness, good music with good placement, how initially it bucked tropes, spectacular character development, had great pacing, also I love shows that aren't afraid to dip into more adult topics or get serious, (like adventure time, and voltron) and it just had a great positive energy.
    At first, it felt like it was just telling its own story, in a vacuum outside of any real world issues etc. just being true to itself. Everything that was there, was built up from the start and so made sense for it to be there.

There's this one line from like season one or two that still sticks with me, in the episode steven and the stevens, where he said,
    "I learned to be true to myself, by watching myself die."

I was like, bro... That is a seriously deep line, that you can take in multiple ways, its also some Oasis type stuff, one of those pop lyrics that sounds cool but doesn't mean anything, and its crazy cause that actually happened, and it just fits so well.

The last season or 2, got a bit wild/weird, but I think some of that could have been down to not having enough time to set things up correctly.
    I remember hearing rumors around that time that cartoon network was being cartoon network and again trying to axe one of its best shows.

So I'm sad we didn't get the full show as it was meant to be. That last movie would have been much cooler imo if it wasn't' a full-on musical and was instead the final season. idk I just feel it didn't need to be a musical.

edit:

Oh and since we're mentioning favorite songs, mine is,

It's just so beautifully done. Usually songs that are made to reference a show are horribly bad, but this...its just perfect.

Last edited:
    Years
    I got bored of it.

Before I get someone being angry, just let me say my short spiel.

When it comes to writing kid's cartoon's, when you've seen enough pattern's, any mystery and mystique the show builds doesn't captivate me anymore nor many other folks when the viewer's can put two and two together. For me, that's how I felt after watching the more interesting part's. When you start seeing the saga explaining the great diamond authority and how there was 4 of them when there was 3 and seeing Peridot make comment's about Pearl being well made along with how their culture is structured... I'll leave this as a spoiler if you prefer to watch the show yourself:

Spoiler:

To be serious, after you plunder the bigger mystery, then everything else in the show is either fluff, boiler plate or annoyance. Character's who have constant social and mental problems that can only be solved by a special boy; yet the show never gives the character's themselves an episode alone to explore them fully or come to terms they need to do things without Steven at all. There are other flaws, but when you notice they don't address them or avoid them in general, the show can get stale and boring... Or at least, in my view of thing's. I mean, Adventure Time doesn't center all episode's around Finn and Jake where they need to solve a problem, they do separate segments and full episode's without them or them acting as Cameo's for a brief period. Such as Princess BB spying on the inhabitant's of the Fire Kingdom and confronting t he possible threat to her kingdom or the episode where Jake live's out the fantasy of being a brick in a house. Or an adventure with just BEMO alone.

Do I hate Steven Universe? World no, I watched up to Season 5 mid-way enjoying it. The music is amateurish, but I enjoyed the song's they wrote. I love the song Garnet sung 'Stronger' than you when Homeworld first reared it's ugly head to abduct them; I don't hate it, I just grew tired of it. You watch and see how the kid reacts to the character's and event's of everything that you know there isn't going to be a violent conflict.... Which, quick spoiler's: there is a violent conflict where they have to fight their way near the end; though how the end of the whole series against their main antagonist end's is non-violent.

I stopped watching after 'Legs from here to Homeworld' as to me, that was just the end, Steven would have to change the structure of Gem Society and he was going to do it his way. I never bothered with the movie as it felt like someone was show-horned in for the other Diamonds to adore and while Steven Universe Future was a nice Epilogue, they only needed 3-episodes of it, not an entire season exploring how he's been suffering because we've seen the kid suffer enough into young-adult hood, give him his happy-ever-after already. He could be actively dating Connie in between her colleague prep work, still do his day job which is teaching the gem's wanting to start over and leaving home on his own when he needs to do something on his own. Instead, it ends with a Godzilla attack.

Anyone who claims the show is brilliant for tackling mental issue's among everything else is just full of themselves; I didn't watch it to analyze and psychoanalyze it. I watched it for the mystery, the mystique of what was going on, how they interact and after they gave me enough clues to where I found out what was going on, that was it, there was no more surprises for me and the show became a chore for a while until I decided to quit.

Favorite Character's Are Lion, Amethyst, Lars as Captain Harlock with the Off-Color's and Peridot. Favorite Song is Stronger Than You. Favorite episode's we're 'Bismuth' and 'We Need To Talk.' Favorite Fusion was Smoky Quarts with the Yo-Yo Weapon.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    It's just really aesthetically pleasing. If I wanted to live in a cartoon universe, Beach City would be such an ideal location for me to spend it in. I also love the music. Some of the characters drive me crazy but the strengths of the show outweigh that

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh yeah def, the aesthetics are so nice, I love the decidedly purposefully messy backgrounds, the nice blobby style of the characters and effects and just... everything tbh. It took some time getting used to and I'm tbh happy they went away from some stylistic choices and reactions/expressions they used in the first season, but overall it's just really pleasant for the eyes :3

Years
    It's got a really interesting aesthetic to it and well... not every day you see someone hanging out with anthromorphised gemstones, is it?

Its an interesting idea which suffices as the cartoon it was initially designed to be before it got swept up in adult audience hysteria and tried to be a weird ATLA type beast with half-baked Serious Themes chucked in

Back