• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge v8, Tera Edition

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Wanna say congrats EoT on mod, and congrats to Kostucha, StenirRPG, and Raven Valt on the completed runs! Finally, welcome Sakura_H to the thread :mareepwave:and gl on the run
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Small update, no new badges, some story stuff. Just got the Poke Flute from Parfum Palace, Snorlax got the Leech Seed/Yawn combo, easy. Trained my team to around lvl 20 with some much needed evolutions and got a white Flabebe :D. Never realized how many Fairy types are stone/friendship evos a bit annoying early game, at least my Azumarill carries. Togetic doesn't get Air Cutter in gen 6 sigh, and I swear 90% of these mons just don´t get good fairy moves via level up besides dang Fairy Wind
    Welcome to the fun that is Fairy in Gen 6. It felt like there was a weird overlap between Grass and Fairy in Gens 6 and 7. Azumarill does get Play Rough eventually, especially if it has Huge Power to boost attack. Sylveon and Florges do get Moonblast, at least. I did feel like a good portion of my team moves were filler moves.

As for evolutions, by Gym 2, you can actually have a team of Mawile, Azumarill, Sylveon (though it would either be highly leveled due to needing a Fairy move or you'd need to breed it to get Baby-Doll Eyes at 9), and Granbull that are final evolutions. Floette is also nice to have there as well.

Leech Seed is so nice, especially paired with Poison/Sleep tactics.

GhostMadison7

GhostMadison
    Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen yesterday
    Welcome to the fun that is Fairy in Gen 6. It felt like there was a weird overlap between Grass and Fairy in Gens 6 and 7. Azumarill does get Play Rough eventually, especially if it has Huge Power to boost attack. Sylveon and Florges do get Moonblast, at least. I did feel like a good portion of my team moves were filler moves.

As for evolutions, by Gym 2, you can actually have a team of Mawile, Azumarill, Sylveon (though it would either be highly leveled due to needing a Fairy move or you'd need to breed it to get Baby-Doll Eyes at 9), and Granbull that are final evolutions. Floette is also nice to have there as well.

Leech Seed is so nice, especially paired with Poison/Sleep tactics.
    Yeah a good few fairies do just learn grass moves lol, Play Rough and Moonblast will be lifesavers.

I plan on getting Mawile especially with it's mega, and this rom hack gives wild Solrock/Lunatone Sun and Moon stones 100% of the time in Glittering Cave. So by Gym 2 yeah thankfully I'll be set, Granbull is also Fairy/Fighting and Florges gets Earth Power <3

GhostMadison7

GhostMadison
    Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah romhack. Forgot. I gotta play those at some point when I get a chance.
    I highly suggest Drayano's if you're ok with a little extra difficulty, his hacks are also Pokedex hacks meaning every Pokemon up to that gen is available in game which I why I play them for teambuilding! Really good, and this XY hack is by Buffel Saft who was inspired by Dray, their hacks are also all Pokemon available in game, they've done Emerald, and USUM too.
    They (Buffel) also provide options if you don't want type/stat changes and such

Other honorable mentions include Radical Red, SmithPlays: Crystal Legacy and Yellow Legacy :D

Days
    • Online now
    Pokemon Radical Red (Standard)
    Mono-Grass: 2nd Update (Pewter City: Brock - Route 25: Bugsy)

The journey continues. The game became more challenging now. I must say Johto Gym leader is not friendly to Grass type as they are often the weakness of grass type. I often need to find some other method to face these Gym leader.

BTW I will not post the current party starting as I found that I need to change the party a lot to face different leaders/boss. I don't really have a 'current party' but a 'current box'. It will be messy if I mention over 20 pokemon each time, and some are even multiple as they got different evolution. But I will still mention about what's using for the match.

Spoiler: Main Progress

Last edited:
    Days
    • Online now
    Other honorable mentions include Radical Red, SmithPlays: Crystal Legacy and Yellow Legacy :D
    Radical Red can be a pain for monotype challenge (that's what I'm facing). :woop:

If you guys may want some difficulty hack but not too difficult, I may suggest inflamed red. It's similar to radical red but less difficult (but more difficult than the original mainline games).

GhostMadison7

GhostMadison
    Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen yesterday
    Radical Red can be a pain for monotype challenge (that's what I'm facing). :woop:

If you guys may want some difficulty hack but not too difficult, I may suggest inflamed red. It's similar to radical red but less difficult (but more difficult than the original mainline games).
    Ah I guess it is on the more difficult side ahaha, didn't know about Inflamed Red though, neat!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Once I get all the Gens/types done in mainline games, I'll probably come back and say "okay, someone pick something" lol...just know the most I'll really look up is where to find Pokemon.

I'm assuming the Red variants are FireRed variants?

GhostMadison7

GhostMadison
    Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ah that's fair ahaha, I really like that Dray and Buffel provide documentation on locations and changes and such! And yeah both are FireRed hacks

Update, this time for my Volt White Bug run! Not much just finally got my official start, picked Snivy, and after a close N fight since he's buffed, there's a lot of early evolving bugs on Route 2 thankfully and many more to come, gen 5 has my fave bug mons! And since this hack boosts many useless mons, Ledian is actually useful and Masquerain is a vital Bug/Water. However, I am now worried for the upcoming first gym because I picked Snivy forgetting I would be fighting a buffed Chili :plead: sooooo we'll see how that goes...

Team:
    Spoiler: Party

Spoiler: PC

Notes: Another run, another naming theme. Care to guess hehee?

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • Pokemon Heartgold Mono Ground: Finale
    This is a long one folks.
    The Kanto Journey

Spoiler:

Final Team:
    Spoiler:

Thoughts on the run: It was hard in places. especially when there was levitate (morty) water and grass types (Clair, misty, erika) and bulky mons (will, blue, red) ground doesn't have a lot of strategy beyond hit as hard as possible, maybe sandstorm.

MVP: This is tough. Quagsire for Johto 100% it was my answer to almost all water types, hit reasonably hard, had good bulk and water absorb was fantastic. but he got less use in Kanto where Rhydon and later Rhyperior was incredible with its ridiculous power. but overall considering the final fight with Red, i still say Quagsire.

LVP: Marowak. It's too frail, doesn't naturally learn earthquake unlike Gen 3 and it's moveset is entirely ground and normal without TMs so a simple gastly walls it.

Days
    • Online now
    Mono-Grass: 3rd Update (Cerulean City: Misty - S.S. Anne)

I just found that I forgot to change the title last time. It looks buggy to say from Brock to Falkner, anyway, I just changed to Bugsy Route 25.

The journey continues from battling Misty.

Spoiler: Main progress

Something more, I would like to show my Trainer Card with Marnie. I should show it last time after I just changed my custom, but I forgot anyway…

Spoiler: My Trainer Card

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Just a heads up, I redefined Paradox Pokemon as Legendary Pokemon in the reorganization of the Legendary rules, now that I dropped the "must be finite" definition because of the repeatably-catchable Legendaries in multiple romhacks that people are challenging.

Sakura_H, if you were already making plans that involved Brute Bonnet not being Legendary, I'm grandfathering your run in so that it's not counted towards your legendary limit.

Nobody else's run should be impacted unless Pluckles is in the middle of a Ground-type run, in which case I also permit them to use their version's Paradox Donphan alongside Ting-Lu. Since there's a boss in Area Zero that uses six Paradox Pokemon, there's functionally no impact on players of vanilla SV unless they want to use both Ting-Lu and either Paradox Donphan in mono-Ground prior to Area Zero, or both Okidogi and Great Tusk in mono-Fighting prior to Area Zero.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Online now
    Sakura_H, if you were already making plans that involved Brute Bonnet not being Legendary, I'm grandfathering your run in so that it's not counted towards your legendary limit.

Thank you :love:

But currently I got no plan to involve Brute Bonnet yet :plead:
    Probably I will catch it but put it in my box first

(I planned to use Ogerpon as my legendary)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ultimate Grass Run
    Sapphire / FIRST AND FINAL / Flower Power

In this post (i.e., TL;DR)
    Spoiler:

The full read:
    Spoiler:

Team Stats:
    Spoiler:

GhostMadison7

GhostMadison
    Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen yesterday
    Congrats MachoPony and StenirRPG on the completed runs!

Uggghhhhh after spending 3 irl days hatching 20 Flabébé eggs (no egg charm is awful) to try and get a decent nature (I just settled with Calm because of course I get another Calm mon:mad:), I finally got to move on to Ambrette Town and Glittering Cave giving me a new Mawile and tons of evolutions which was very much needed! Did some training at the Nah Cafe double battle thingy which was actually really good cause they use Audinos here. Onto Cyllage city and a Granbull :D

Team:
    Spoiler: Party

Spoiler: PC

Notes: Overleved Macaron when breeding whoops, and his moveset is awful now, really would like the move relearner asap for these stone evos in general. 4 of my mons are Calm, the rest are neutral natures except Madeleine who got lucky with Modest, all I want is ONE Bold nature pls, even Timid lol. Also Amulet Coin in the Battle Chateau is free money.

Days
    • Online now
    Mono-Grass: 4th Update (Route 11: Whitney - )

Today I got more free time so I went through the journey a little bit more. The battles were more challenging now and the weakness of mono-grass team is more visible. One difficulty was my pokemon was not 'full equipped' with suitable items and moves due to low levels and mid-progress in story. Some weakness was very difficult to overcome such as flying and poison.

Spoiler: Main Progress

Years
    • Seen today
    I need to hop back in and do the Scarlet run, to tag onto my ultimate challenge.
    Here's a new signup for the current thread.

User: Smotemotem
    Type: Ground
    Game(s): Scarlet
    Challenge Type: Ultimate
    Standard Mode: Standard

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Pokemon Platinum QOL (Standard Mode)
    Mono-Steel - PI Justin
    Update 2 (Ravaged Path -> Eterna Gym)

It's been a couple weeks since my last update, since I got sidetracked on other games, but I'm finally back! This time, I managed to catch a full team. First, I got a Burmy in Floaroma Meadow, and did some grinding until I could get it to evolve into Trash Cloak Wormadam against the Team Galactic Grunt in the Valley Windworks. Then, once I reached Eterna, I caught the other half of my team, getting a Shieldon through the Underground and a Bronzong and Nosepass in Mt. Coronet, and I evolved the latter pretty much immediately. Prinplup also got some better attacking moves and coverage, and Onix learned Return via TM and then Rock Smash via HM. I'm 75% sure the romhack I play allows deleting HM moves, so I can actually use Rock Smash in the early game where it's actually useful, and if it doesn't I can just save edit it out so I don't need to train a replacement Onix/Steelix before Canalave.

Mars was a little difficult, since Onix got hit by Toxic early on, but he still 2HKOed Zubat and used Screech on Purugly to reduce its defense before fainting. Then it was just a matter of Prinplup using a bunch of Metal Claws to take Purugly down. Gardenia was a pushover thanks to Trash Cloak Wormadam quadruple-resisting all of Gardenia's Grass-type moves. She 1HKOed Turtwig with a critical Bug Bite, 2HKOed Cherrim, then 3HKOed Roserade with the same move. She did get paralyzed by Roserade's Stun Spore, but since the best Roserade could do after that was throw a few Magical Leaves at my very light Bug/Steel type, that didn't matter much.

I was hoping to get a Metal Coat before the gym battle, but sadly I didn't even after catching several Bronzor. I got the Thief TM right after the gym battle, so I taught that to Wormadam and I hope to get one and evolve Onix into Steelix before the Galactic Eterna Building. (I'll also need to Thief a second Metal Coat to evolve Scyther into Scizor, who will replace Shieldon, but that won't be needed until after the third gym.)

Team

Spoiler:

Days
    • Online now
    Before I forgot, I would like to sign up for a new challenge for Mega Moemon FireRed Game Mastery. (Actually I started a little bit today already. :love:)
    My Radical Red Mono-Grass was alright up to now and updates will be posted later. But…. Well, sadly, it's a little bit stressed for continue playing a difficult hack rom. I may need to play something causal. Anyway, I will take both of the challenges at the same time.
    (I don't know whether it is allowed to sign up more than one challenges. I hope it's OK.) :plead:

User: SAKURA_H
    Type: Flying, Fire, Psychic, Ground, Poison, Fighting, Rock, Ice, Ghost, Fairy, Dragon, Grass, Electric, Bug, Dark, Normal, Water, Steel
    Game(s): Mega Moemon FireRed
    Challenge Type: Game Mastery
    Standard Mode / Free Mode: Standard

The type order was randomised already, so I would follow this order to complete. :woop:
    A few rules were added to my game for making the causal game a little bit harder, such as no items, battle rule set, etc. Details will be listed later in my first updates.

Thank you for your help, Explorer of Time. :love:

Back