• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Small Writing Contest

Years
    Spoiler:

I imagine that the rubric will be the same as it is every year, but we should probably talk themes and scoring. I'd like to keep the theme at least tangentially related to the overarching theme of the Get-Together, so I was thinking something like "home". It's a pretty broad prompt, maybe too broad (?), but it could also potentially make for some really interesting stories.

Scoring-wise, I imagine this would just be one of the standard 200pts to the winner events.

Bay

Years
    Hm, I want to say we probably did "Home" at one point? I've done so many SWCs though so a lot of the prompts become similar to me haha. If Marcin is fine with "Home" as the prompt then I'm okay with that too.

Oh, so we won't give points to like 2nd and 3rd place winners like previous Get Togethers then?

Years
    Hm, I want to say we probably did "Home" at one point? I've done so many SWCs though so a lot of the prompts become similar to me haha. If Marcin is fine with "Home" as the prompt then I'm okay with that too.

Oh, so we won't give points to like 2nd and 3rd place winners like previous Get Togethers then?

Most of the other events aren't either since we're trying to measure things out carefully. Plus, we rarely get more than 3-4 participants so I think it makes sense not to award all those large sums of points.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Hmm, not part of the GT team but a lack of points to anyone other than first place is still a bit odd to me. Any points for participation i.e. sending in an entry?

Home sounds alright to me as a prompt.

Bay

Years
    It could totally depend how many participants we'll have (last year we only had a few). If the other events won't do participation points but fair enough. Otherwise, I'm okay with 50 points for participation.

Years
    Hmm, not part of the GT team but a lack of points to anyone other than first place is still a bit odd to me. Any points for participation i.e. sending in an entry?

Home sounds alright to me as a prompt.

It could totally depend how many participants we'll have (last year we only had a few). If the other events won't do participation points but fair enough. Otherwise, I'm okay with 50 points for participation.

So, "home" as the prompt with 200pts for the winner and 50pts for participating. Does that sound good to you guys?
    Should I write up a draft for the thread or would one of you like to do it?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Happier with the points for participants there. That might help encourage entries too, slightly!

If you're keen go for it, else I can do it one evening.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Small Writing Competition!
    Judged by Bay, bobandbill, and gimmepie.

Small Writing Contest

Welcome everyone to the Small Writing Competition! The gist is simple - write a story based on the prompt, and submit it to the judges before the deadline.

Rules
    1.) Follow PC's rules and Fanfiction and Writing's rules.
    2.) Stories written for this competition must be completely new. In other words, they must not have been written before. You also are not allowed to post it anywhere else until judging is over. Having someone beta read your entry prior to submission in private is allowed.
    3.) You must PM your entries to all of the judges. (This is so if someone loses their PMs the others still have them and so forth). The judges in question are Bay, bobandbill, and gimmepie. You also must post in this thread when you send your PMs so we can confirm you did send us an entry.
    4.) One entry per member only, sorry.
    5.) You have until 11:59pm EDT, 3rd August to get your entry in.
    6.) The story can be based on Pokemon, another fandom, or be original fiction. Note the judges may not all be familiar with any other fandoms.
    7.) The entry can only be a completed one-shot as this is a small writing competition - no chaptered entries, please! There is no word limit.

Once the scores are posted and the competition is over, you may post your story in Fanfiction and Writing so that others may see it. Make sure to add [SWC] to your title if you do!

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Scoring and Prompt
    Each entry can have a maximum score of 30, with the points broken down into three categories equaling 10 points in total like in previous years. The categories are:

Spelling and Grammar
    Characterization, Plot, and Description
    Relevance to Prompt

Each participant will receive 50 points when their entry is sent in. Furthermore, 1st place can net a whopping 200 points!

The prompt is home, so good luck with making use of that in your story!

Entrants

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    Okay, assuming we still start on July 24th and this runs for two weeks, the GT ends around August 7th. For the deadline maybe August 3rd to give us some time to read and score the entries? If there's not enough entries then we can always extend it.

Back