• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum hack: Pokémon Re:Platinum

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Pokémon Re:Platinum

Introduction

This is my first RomHack. I made it for fun, but I wanted to try to make a "rebalancing" hack (similar to Drayano's hacks, but a lot less ambitious).
    As such, no changes to the story have been made. Don't expect perfect balancing, everyone is OU material, or something similar. It's just for fun.
    I hope you will enjoy this different take on Platinum version.

Features

• The most substantial change is that the entire NationalDex has been made available without trading and changed to learn more moves, different evolutions, type changes, etc.
    • The type chart has been changed.
    • Moves have been updated in terms of power, accuracy, and PP to comply with Sword/Shield. Some moves have been changed further.
    • TMs are reusable.
    • The shiny rate has been increased substantially.
    • Most previously unbreedable Pokémon are now breedable and all items needed for evolution can be obtained repeatedly.
    • Increased difficulty, though it should not be too much harder than normal.

Screenshots

Custom Type Chart:
    Spoiler:

Credits

• Me - Almost everything
    • APrimarinaTempress - Half of v1.2
    • Drayano (indirect) - ROM Hacking Tool and Resource Collection and comparing scripts to fix the Secret Key.
    • aninymouse - Guide for editing the type chart.
    • The Cave of Dragonflies - For picture of custom type chart.
    • Tools used: Project Pokémon ROM Editor by SCV and Alpha (maybe more?), Nameless Move Editor by Vendor, and Wild Pokémon Editor DS by D-Trogh.

Bugs

• Breeding Unown with Ditto always results in Unown A.
    • I got a communication error in the underground, but it might be an emulation error.
    • Technically not a bug, but Gracidea doesn't work on Shaymin that weren't met as a fateful encounter, so Sky Forme is unavailable.
    • Super Rod doesn't seem to work on Route 230.
    • The Pokéradar is unobtainable, but it isn't really necessary? I might make an update sometime, if people speak up about it.
    • Certain features were scrapped due to bugs, most notably Gym Leader and Elite Four double battles.

Download

Version 1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bhqOzoD5btAQspya9TCViSvlJrx_dO1b/view?usp=sharing
    Version 1.2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/14gwv5wEVsY_i2LF6KA3LK2ls7SFqOQkp/view?usp=sharing
    Version 1.2.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/115xoahj9bamhXlDP-KB06KbCBgTdrBK6/view?usp=sharing
    I most likely won't update it any further, gotta learn when to say "good enough"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Having just reached Victory Road I think i can give my thoughts.

I love this hack. It may very well be how I play platinum from now on.

The Pokemon changes are very unique and out there, which I absolutely love and encourage. There's a couple pokemon that could probably receive an extra move or two like Rapidash or Cloyster, Or some that need a good stab move earlier like Yanmega, but otherwise the changes are extremely solid and increase the re-playability exponentially.

The Difficulty also does the impossible for a Rom Hack, actually strikes a good balance of some challenge but easily adaptable. Barring the very occasional eyebrow raiser (Such as Cyrus' Mewtwo) its challenging but fun, I don't feel overly punished for not packing a perfect counter to every boss battle.

Overall for a first Hack this is very commendable and I can't wait to see what you do in the future~

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Having just reached Victory Road I think i can give my thoughts.

I love this hack. It may very well be how I play platinum from now on.

The Pokemon changes are very unique and out there, which I absolutely love and encourage. There's a couple pokemon that could probably receive an extra move or two like Rapidash or Cloyster, Or some that need a good stab move earlier like Yanmega, but otherwise the changes are extremely solid and increase the re-playability exponentially.

The Difficulty also does the impossible for a Rom Hack, actually strikes a good balance of some challenge but easily adaptable. Barring the very occasional eyebrow raiser (Such as Cyrus' Mewtwo) its challenging but fun, I don't feel overly punished for not packing a perfect counter to every boss battle.

Overall for a first Hack this is very commendable and I can't wait to see what you do in the future~

Thank you! Thank you! This means a lot for me.

There are some Pokémon that I agree could probably use a few changes. Additionally, I have discovered errors in some movesets and am fixing the ones I find, as I find them, but don't feel that I have changed enough for me to release version 1.2, yet. If you want to see what I mean, take a Nidoking to the move relearner.

And yeah, I should probably remove Cyrus' Mewtwo's life orb.

Btw, if you (or anyone else reading this) have suggestions for movesets, feel free to comment.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    Movesets specifically? There's a couple.

One thing is that Cloyster doesn't actually get Waterfall, So it doesn't get any good Water STAB with its new stats. Others.....lets see..

Pidgeot doesn't get Hyper Voice, But mostly the STAB on these changes are handled decently enough, the biggest problem usually is a lack of a coverage move or set up move they would really like, Rapidash should probably learn Jump Kick, a few of the buffed Special bugs could probably like to learn Calm Mind since there's no Quiver Dance, (Butterfree, Venomoth, Mothim etc)

I'd suggest some stat and typing stuff but I'll leave it at that, Don't wanna overwhelm ya.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Movesets specifically? There's a couple.

One thing is that Cloyster doesn't actually get Waterfall, So it doesn't get any good Water STAB with its new stats. Others.....lets see..

I thought long and hard about which Pokémon got waterfall, but in hindsight, I agree that Cloyster should, too. However, it does have good water STAB, if it has skill link, due to the Spike Cannon buff, though if you have Shell Armor I can see the issue.

Pidgeot doesn't get Hyper Voice, But mostly the STAB on these changes are handled decently enough, the biggest problem usually is a lack of a coverage move or set up move they would really like, Rapidash should probably learn Jump Kick, a few of the buffed Special bugs could probably like to learn Calm Mind since there's no Quiver Dance, (Butterfree, Venomoth, Mothim etc)

I don't get why Pidgeot should get Hyper Voice, but other than that, I agree with this. The gen 4 moves were more limited than I expected, and it didn't occur to me how many useful moves and abilities were introduced in gen 5. It simply didn't occur to me to give the moths an alternative to Quiver Dance.

I'd suggest some stat and typing stuff but I'll leave it at that, Don't wanna overwhelm ya.

Please do, I like bouncing ideas off of other people, as long as there aren't too many. If this ever (somehow) goes viral, I won't be able to, but so far, feel free to add ideas. I'd be very happy if you had a plausible recipient for the ICE/FIRE type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    I completely missed the Spike Cannon buff, that's on me. Pidgeot getting Hyper Voice is so it can have Special STAB over 75 since it...doesn't really get much.

but if you insist on a couple other ideas:

There's a couple stat buffs I do genuinely feel weren't enough, Pidgeots attack stats are very middling and I'd probably just make it a special attacker with 95 Special Attack instead, Lumineon while a cool idea for Serene Grace + Ominous Wind is neat but without later moves like Scald it can't really hold up its bad stats. (I'd have to look through the doc again but there were a couple others I had in mind)

Now type changes I do have a few of those, Seviper could easily be a Dragon with Basilisk Parelles plus Kingdra is a special attacker so they wouldn't be over stepping each other. Both Gorebyss and Huntail I believe could be half Dragon, Albeit that does overstep Gyarados however. Speaking of Lumineon, I think it could make an interesting Water/Ghost, Due to having an aura of Spectral grace to it. Rampardos could easily fit a dragon (although probably doesn't need the buff. With Chimechos lore around them always being linked to graveyards, Easy Psychic/Ghost right there. Lastly and possibly biggest stretch, But I think Plusle and Minun could possible make decent Electric/Ground types, Makes them stand out and they're based upon a lot of burrowing animals. There's a few other ideas but they're all Fairies and that's not on the table lol

Lastly, since you really want an Ice/Fire type, Why not Seeking? Its the most boring, basic Fish and has the color scheme for it. Memes aside no one ever really uses it and it could really help it stand out.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pidgeot is no longer a Normal type, being pure-flying instead, but i realized the issue of low power and have given it brave bird. Although reworking it to be a special attacker and giving it Aeroblast could work, too, differentiating it more from Fearow. I had actually thought of making Arbok a Dragon type, but yeah, Seviper is more "out there" with the barb on its tail, so that's probably better. Maybe even make Zangoose Normal/Steel (and give it another ability) to fit in with the dual type of seviper and better show the "Predator-Prey" rivalry between them.

If anything, Huntail and Gorebyss should be Dark and Psychic, respectively, because that's their assist-type in Rangers (but if I do that I'll probably rework Feraligatr, too, because it's already very similar to Crawdaunt). I like your idea for Lumineon. It learns Hypnosis because of an episode of the anime, where it brainwashes people with its lights, so giving it ghost type would fit with that interpretation. Chimecho being Ghost is a good idea, too, so I'll do that, but I don't quite agree with Plusle and Minun, even though they are quite similar to other pure-electric types. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

I guess Seaking is better than nothing. I only looked at fire and ice types, but a water type with a matching color scheme is good enough for me. And it is definitely needs something, since it's so bland.

Thank you. I'll get to work and probably release version 1.2 in a couple of days.

Edit: I completely forgot to write my thoughts on Dragon-type Rampardos. In the end, I don't find it necessary. Regarding Plusle and Minun, don't they represent an electric current? If so, aren't they both an electrical ground?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    I greatly look forward to it!

One last thing I would like to see in the future is maybe shuffled around TMs? TMs like Shock Wave and Water Pulse obtained earlier however TMs like Earthquake are moved a little later? I understand if you wanna leave that stuff alone its just a suggestion.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    One last thing I would like to see in the future is maybe shuffled around TMs? TMs like Shock Wave and Water Pulse obtained earlier however TMs like Earthquake are moved a little later? I understand if you wanna leave that stuff alone its just a suggestion.

I've left it alone due to lack of technical know-how, however I have an idea of how to change them. That will be the goal for v1.3, as I don't want to try something new, and accidentally break something. If things go as planned, v1.2 will be released sunday.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I have updated Re:Platinum for (probably) the final time. Version 1.2.1 features very minor changes, but I just think it looks nicer.
    With all projects, you should always strive for greatness but never for perfection. Gotta stop somewhere, and I am content with the current state of the hack (assuming no one finds a game breaking bug, of course...)

Back