• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Emerald Horizons - Emerald Difficulty Hack [Complete, v1.11f ft. New Rocket Storyline, Boss Gauntlet, Gen 1-8, Side Quests, and QoL features]

Days
    • Seen today
    Hey would anyone know what the specific level caps are per gym? Because sometimes the gym leaders don't say

I can't believe I didn't put that in the parent post. I'll add that in accordingly. For your reference:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Is the ability Sharpness in the game? Because when I try to switch my Kleavors ability to Sharpness it comes out as steadfast instead.

Days
    • Seen today
    Is the ability Sharpness in the game? Because when I try to switch my Kleavors ability to Sharpness it comes out as steadfast instead.

Kleavor's abilities are reflective of its SwSh data, so Steadfast is indeed the HA.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Might have found a bug with the in party move relearner with Crobat. It learns Brave Bird at lvl 50 in this game but if you don't learn it at lvl 50 when it prompts you to, you cant relearn it again at a later date. Just wondering if this was intentional or a bug.

Days
    • Seen today
    Might have found a bug with the in party move relearner with Crobat. It learns Brave Bird at lvl 50 in this game but if you don't learn it at lvl 50 when it prompts you to, you cant relearn it again at a later date. Just wondering if this was intentional or a bug.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. It's actually not a Crobat-specific issue, but rather an issue that pertains to all final stage mons upon further testing. I'm going to work on pushing out a fix for this soon - thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Edit: the fix itself is pretty trivial, but I'm still going to want to test the game all the way through to ensure nothing broke. The fix will come out soon enough; thanks once again for pointing this out to me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2023
    How do you evolve budew? Its at max happiness at the moment and at lv40 and still hasn't evolved. Thanks

Days
    • Seen today
    How do you evolve budew? Its at max happiness at the moment and at lv40 and still hasn't evolved. Thanks

It'll need to be daytime as well; I posted the evolution.h file on drive to make things easier. I'll update the master post accordingly.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Not a fan of the EXPall, a shame we cant turn it off. Some of us prefer the challenge, level cap or not.

Days
    • Seen Oct 26, 2023
    Just downloaded this game about a hour ago. Looked over the thread and I believe you are certainly having issues judging the difficulty due to making the game.

The Aqua Grunt in Petalburg forest is quite absurd, Carvahna and Poocheyena both have strong coverage moves. A fight this early on should definitely not have strong coverage moves on a pokemon like Carvahna (Poison Fang is really absurd this early. Your only real option is to use something faster that can one shot Carvahna or an Electric type. Both are specific and not all players will have those things at this stage.) . Poochyena I assume has Strong Jaw or something because every single attack it did was doing over half of every pokemon on my team's health. I had a full team of 6 and I barely managed to scrape through the encounter. I don't know if you intended this to be a proper boss fight but it has more or less become one now. Most people are not "catch literally every single pokemon" types, so this could be a wall and force someone to grind for something that's not even a proper boss fight.

I got past the fight though after changing a couple of pokemon around, and then I got smacked around by the twins on the bridge after Petalburg Forest. I don't know what team you had or if you just assumed everyone would have every single pokemon but this encounter is especially frustrating. Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum are the only pokemon ive seen of this team so far but these are 3 extremely powerful pokemon for this stage of the game and all of them are level 15. I have work in about 20 minutes so I won't be continuing for now but I will most certainly have to grind to get past this.

I don't take issue with normal trainers being hard, it can be fun in its own way, but I wanted to post about this since you judged your difficulty as a 6/10 and it is most certainly nowhere near a 6/10 if these non boss trainers are anything to go by. For me, a 6/10 difficulty game would be a game you can clear without having to catch every single pokemon and not be a scenario where normal trainers make you change your team. I understand that there is the Poke Vial but the Poke Vial kind of fails to alleviate trainer difficulty that comes from individuals being powerful rather than the whole being powerful. Poke Vial shines when the route as a whole is hard, not when individual trainers are hard.

I'll stick with the game to see if it evens out but for me frontloaded difficulty is a real killer since in my opinion there should be a difficulty curve rather than it being difficult right from the start. You have to be delicate with how hard you make the game in the early game to accommodate players who have not gotten a full team.

Days
    • Seen today
    Not a fan of the EXPall, a shame we cant turn it off. Some of us prefer the challenge, level cap or not.
    This feature has always been a polarizing topic, especially with regards to the mainline games. I tried to structure and balance the game around your team being relatively the same level, and I think the scaling of boss trainers necessitates an even party level. There are certainly ways to make it toggleable (that was the original implementation), but I opted to streamline the process. Future iterations may adjust that, but nothing is concrete at this time.
    Do you have plans of adding the following Pokémon feature?
    I do think that'd be nice to add, but it is contingent on a lot of things, with the biggest thing being the availability of all eight generations of follower sprites. I wouldn't want this feature to be only applicable to certain mons; I know of several other decomps that have the follower feature, but I'm not sure if it applies to all available Pokémon. More to follow on that in the future hopefully!
    Just downloaded this game about a hour ago. Looked over the thread and I believe you are certainly having issues judging the difficulty due to making the game.

The Aqua Grunt in Petalburg forest is quite absurd, Carvahna and Poocheyena both have strong coverage moves. A fight this early on should definitely not have strong coverage moves on a pokemon like Carvahna (Poison Fang is really absurd this early. Your only real option is to use something faster that can one shot Carvahna or an Electric type. Both are specific and not all players will have those things at this stage.) . Poochyena I assume has Strong Jaw or something because every single attack it did was doing over half of every pokemon on my team's health. I had a full team of 6 and I barely managed to scrape through the encounter. I don't know if you intended this to be a proper boss fight but it has more or less become one now. Most people are not "catch literally every single pokemon" types, so this could be a wall and force someone to grind for something that's not even a proper boss fight.

I got past the fight though after changing a couple of pokemon around, and then I got smacked around by the twins on the bridge after Petalburg Forest. I don't know what team you had or if you just assumed everyone would have every single pokemon but this encounter is especially frustrating. Magby, Elekid, and Smoochum are the only pokemon ive seen of this team so far but these are 3 extremely powerful pokemon for this stage of the game and all of them are level 15. I have work in about 20 minutes so I won't be continuing for now but I will most certainly have to grind to get past this.

I don't take issue with normal trainers being hard, it can be fun in its own way, but I wanted to post about this since you judged your difficulty as a 6/10 and it is most certainly nowhere near a 6/10 if these non boss trainers are anything to go by. For me, a 6/10 difficulty game would be a game you can clear without having to catch every single pokemon and not be a scenario where normal trainers make you change your team. I understand that there is the Poke Vial but the Poke Vial kind of fails to alleviate trainer difficulty that comes from individuals being powerful rather than the whole being powerful. Poke Vial shines when the route as a whole is hard, not when individual trainers are hard.

I'll stick with the game to see if it evens out but for me frontloaded difficulty is a real killer since in my opinion there should be a difficulty curve rather than it being difficult right from the start. You have to be delicate with how hard you make the game in the early game to accommodate players who have not gotten a full team.
    I think it's certainly valid that my assessment of the difficulty is skewed due to having knowledge of what's to come. The Aqua Grunt, as you mentioned, is indeed a proper boss fight. My intent (generally speaking) is to make those boss fights difficult so that there's some catharsis to overcoming the challenge. Regarding the need for a variety of Pokémon, I'll say that the availability of unique species was not necessarily meant to require the player to build brand new teams, but to give the player options. However, while you won't need to fully reinvent your team, I think you should expect to adjust your team to account for different boss fights. As with most difficulty hacks, the game can be a bit nuanced in the way the player must play.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Who do you guys think would be a good replacement for Diance? My team is Mega Swampert, Crobat, Aegislash, Volcarona, and Obstagoon. I just finished with all the events in lily cove city.

Days
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I have to agree with the above post regarding the difficulty. As in the difficulty is almost absurd at times and has required the reinvention of my team multiple times now, regulating many Pokémon to the box.

For the sake of clarity, I think this is a really cool rom hack and you can tell a lot of care and effort was put forth. That being said, the difficulty of the boss battles has been anything but fun. Instead they have been a repetitive exercise of figuring out their abilities, move sets, held item, and praying I have enough speed to go first. Despite having type advantage, some battles are akin to a war of attrition, hoping for a critical hit or missed attack. This issue is exemplified by the lack of resources early to mid game (money, tm's, pokemon, items).

Reading through previous replies, it appears the idea behind tough boss battles was a feeling of catharsis and achievement from overcoming the challenge. However, from my experience it's just been a race to level up and hit the next wall, repeatedly.

Introducing multiple difficulty options would be a nice touch. Or reducing difficulty in the early to mid game until more options for team building become available. As the Qol features this game has are simply amazing. I do understand if this simply isn't your vision. Again, I don't want to come off as insulting or ungrateful for your hard work. Simply, for what it's worth, offering constructive feedback.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Does anyone know how to get to the Naval Rock in this game? I wanna see if I can teach my Rayquaza Dragon Ascent but I wanna know if it's post game only.

Days
    • Seen Jul 29, 2023
    Hey, thanks for your interest!
    Unfortunately, the shiny rate, storage, and fishing are vanilla. Regarding the HMs, while you will still need to teach them, they are able to be forgotten via TM/menu. Hope this helps!

Hi, enjoying this rom hack so far, it really suits the style of play I like.

I was wondering if chaining using the DexNav increases shiny odds, or if there is anyway at all in this game currently to increase the odds.

Cheers

Days
    • Seen today
    Hey, thanks for your interest!
    Unfortunately, the shiny rate, storage, and fishing are vanilla. Regarding the HMs, while you will still need to teach them, they are able to be forgotten via TM/menu. Hope this helps!

Hi, enjoying this rom hack so far, it really suits the style of play I like.

I was wondering if chaining using the DexNav increases shiny odds, or if there is anyway at all in this game currently to increase the odds.

Cheers
    Chaining does increase shiny odds; the current active chain is the "No. X" you see in the bottom right corner when you're actively searching for a mon.

Does anyone know how to get to the Naval Rock in this game? I wanna see if I can teach my Rayquaza Dragon Ascent but I wanna know if it's post game only.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    no offense, but this game isn't fun at all, quite frankly, it sucks. with the level caps and the absurdly hard trainers, it's hell basically for any casual player especially, i'm taking on the first gym and it's absurdly hard, i can't even beat her with my mudkip and budew, and i'm at level cap. at this point i come to realize, this game is as hard as dark souls which also sucks in my opinion. Did you think at all when it came to casual players? or non competitive players? cuz that's exactly what this game feels like, a total competitive hack of pokemon start to finish! You can't even enjoy the game because you have to be cautious every single second. can't even use the pokemon you like because you need pure type advantage to win. even without evs and ivs and natures, it's the hardest rom hack i ever tried. I don't know what you were thinking, but i suggest you think about this in future rom hacks. I'm not trying to be rude but yk. Just that team aqua grunt battle made me want to quit playing.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen today
    Is shiny hunting starters frame based or was it fixed?
    The broken RNG of Emerald was not tinkered with on my behalf, so it should still be frame-based (as it was in vanilla).
    where is the level grinder it says it has?

no offense, but this game isn't fun at all, quite frankly, it sucks. with the level caps and the absurdly hard trainers, it's hell basically for any casual player especially, i'm taking on the first gym and it's absurdly hard, i can't even beat her with my mudkip and budew, and i'm at level cap. at this point i come to realize, this game is as hard as dark souls which also sucks in my opinion. Did you think at all when it came to casual players? or non competitive players? cuz that's exactly what this game feels like, a total competitive hack of pokemon start to finish! You can't even enjoy the game because you have to be cautious every single second. can't even use the pokemon you like because you need pure type advantage to win. even without evs and ivs and natures, it's the hardest rom hack i ever tried. I don't know what you were thinking, but i suggest you think about this in future rom hacks. I'm not trying to be rude but yk. Just that team aqua grunt battle made me want to quit playing.

The level grinder is in Slateport.
    I'll start by saying that the game certainly isn't for everyone, and I think you are entitled to your opinion. My vision of the game was for it to be difficult and challenging, even for those who have spent countless hours playing competitive.
    While the game is certainly streamlined in certain aspects and free for anyone to enjoy, the game, at its core, is a difficulty-enhancement hack.

Back