• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Emerald Horizons - Emerald Difficulty Hack [Complete, v1.09 ft. New Rocket Storyline, Boss Gauntlet, Gen 1-8, Side Quests, and QoL features]

Days
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
Wanted to give an update on my progress- I am still loving this game!! I am just about to storm the Magma Hideout, so I got a good chunk of the midgame down today but not as much story progress because I kept going out of my way to explore and complete quests. I am still running the same team (Blaziken, Staraptor, Gardevoir, Gallade, Excadrill) except that I subbed Dragapult, whom I am hoping will help carry me through the Mossdeep City Gym, for Quagsire.

A few more comments: While it slightly frustrated me at first that I could not find them (I've been going mostly blind besides TM Locations so I kept hoping I could get them earlier and make my life easier LOL), I like that the really good items (in my case, Choice items and Life Orb) are locked behind quests- it really gives a level of satisfaction in beating the "boss" teams, which gives me incentive to push through and try different strategies before they click. The placement in later-game is also good (as much as I wanted them earlier at a few points) for balancing sake, if they were available earlier then a few challenges would have been far too easy. Once I realized the quality of rewards for beating the quests, I try not to progress in the story until all of them are beaten, and I think that's a really clever and creative way of making Horizon Emerald stand out from the rest of the Emerald hacks I've played.

I totally understand and honestly, I loved the trick room set (it reminded me of Blaze Black 2 Caitlin)! Probably was even more of a challenge for me than a rain team, since I tend to run faster teams lol. I think I said it earlier, but I really like how well-composed and thought out every major battle is. It's clear that you spent a lot of time thinking up ways to make them difficult but not impossible with the right strategy, and I am very impressed by them all.

I can tell! Two other boss battles that really stood out were the WWE style fight in the Scorched Slab and a certain fight in Lilycove City that cracked me up when it popped up on the Quest Log and had me consistently smiling as I kept getting my butt kicked by two certain legendaries.

Once I knew it was an actual house, it gave me incentive to walk into every one I came across until I triggered the story, which I really liked! Now I'm just waiting to find the "waterlogged" area (don't tell Team Magma!) and meet Looker to progress the Rocket storyline. I think I might know where it is, and I am very curious to see how that story wraps up. I like how they have Z Moves when we don't, and thus feel like an actual powerful threat to face. Really good stuff!

The love you have for Pokemon, pop culture, and this hack shines through in literally every single second of gameplay and text, including quest names and description. You should be proud of creating such a well-made game. As for persevering with a few team adjustments, well, I'm stubborn and don't like to do that often once I have a full team picked out, but I can safely say that you can persevere by just adjusting movesets and strategies, which I think is even better and far more fun of a challenge :)!

I will keep you posted on how my journey through Hoenn continues, but until then, thank you for making such an excellent game- I am sure you have heard this so many times but I am really really enjoying it, especially going into this almost entirely blind.
I searched the whole map like 5 times already and cant find team rocket house. Also any1 has any idea of the Phasmophobia quest? I did 3 interactions. the last was on the hallway with the husband and nothing happens after that. Searched every room, talked to every bookcase, window etc

Days
  • Age 26
  • Online now
Wondering can I randomize this?
I wanted to try out a soullocke with a frnd
Hi, currently not a way to randomize the encounters, but there are 12 encounters per land routes, so you should have the variance to attempt it. Note that this is a difficulty hack and so the extent to which one could Nuzlocke/Soullocke it isn't really known on my end.
This may or not be handy for anyone to know but I will mention it either way. Brandon, if you have any problem with this please just remove it.

I used PkHex to get items. But this is the only thing that can be hacked and even then it is rather limited and very tedious.

As all the item codes are different to the original game you can't simply give yourself all items. The only way I found that worked is to give yourself a load of random items on Pkhex, load the game up and send what you want to your PC storage. Do this over and over until you get a PC full of useful items. You will get some errors when loading back into PkHex but nothing disappears from the PC. It will all be there to withdraw when you're done.

Nothing else can be edited or hacked. You cant get TM/HM, cant get berries, cant get key items, you can't generate mons or change anything about them without corrupting the save file.

Edit: Cash can also be hacked which is very handy to buy TM and evolution stones from Slateburg market.
I have no problem with this being shared, but I appreciate you being considerate! My only caution is that the game has been tested many times without the use of any of this, and thus it should work as intended under normal circumstances. People are free to play the game as they please, but just be wary that certain things might break as a result of using cheat codes (which is standard for any game).
I searched the whole map like 5 times already and cant find team rocket house. Also any1 has any idea of the Phasmophobia quest? I did 3 interactions. the last was on the hallway with the husband and nothing happens after that. Searched every room, talked to every bookcase, window etc
I'll put the answers below.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
I have no problem with this being shared, but I appreciate you being considerate! My only caution is that the game has been tested many times without the use of any of this, and thus it should work as intended under normal circumstances. People are free to play the game as they please, but just be wary that certain things might break as a result of using cheat codes (which is standard for any game).

Absolutely right. The number one rule of using Pkhex or any cheats is to be cautious and to keep back ups so you don't lose or corrupt save files.

I have never been a hard-core player and still to this day have never been able to get to grips with the competitive aspect of pokemon. So coming into playing this I was worried about it being too difficult, so wanted to give myself an edge. Also I enjoy customising my gameplay, especially with the original games thay I have played many times.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
Did you increase the chances of getting Pokerus? Iv played pokemon on and off since I was a kid. I am now 32 years old and have never gotten pokerus in any game without hacking.

Days
  • Age 26
  • Online now
Did you increase the chances of getting Pokerus? Iv played pokemon on and off since I was a kid. I am now 32 years old and have never gotten pokerus in any game without hacking.
I didn't, but there's a first time for everything :) keep in mind it spreads, which is actually why you probably see multiple occurrences of it. PKRS, of course, has no real impact in this game, but it's still cool to see :)

As a small update for everyone, be on the lookout for v1.09 hopefully this weekend! Can't wait to share some more details in the coming days!

Days
  • Age 26
  • Online now
Hi, all! Just wanted to share that v1.09 is live; it's recommended that this is done on fresh saves due to some of the early game triggers needed to make the game run smooth. I'd break this update down into three major features:
1. New optional areas to explore (the smaller Icefall Cavern and the greatly expanded Scorched Slab)
2. Some new overworld legendary encounters; this was requested a lot, so this update marks the first batch of legendaries being made attainable. There's still a ways to go with this, but for now, I'm happy that the encounters are spread out and in places that make sense :)
3. Addition of BSBob's/RavePossum's map popups

There was also some minor bug fixes and trainer adjustments here and there to improve the game overall. 1.10 is still a ways away, but I'm hoping to add more Legendary encounters that feel worthwhile as well as new questlines to slowly work our way to 50 overall quests. If there are any questions, please let me know. Thank you all for playing, and hoping to see you all for future updates!
8caQoBd.png
bfwpZ6Z.png
wZhwomn.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
Hi, all! Just wanted to share that v1.09 is live; it's recommended that this is done on fresh saves due to some of the early game triggers needed to make the game run smooth. I'd break this update down into three major features:
1. New optional areas to explore (the smaller Icefall Cavern and the greatly expanded Scorched Slab)
2. Some new overworld legendary encounters; this was requested a lot, so this update marks the first batch of legendaries being made attainable. There's still a ways to go with this, but for now, I'm happy that the encounters are spread out and in places that make sense :)
3. Addition of BSBob's/RavePossum's map popups

There was also some minor bug fixes and trainer adjustments here and there to improve the game overall. 1.10 is still a ways away, but I'm hoping to add more Legendary encounters that feel worthwhile as well as new questlines to slowly work our way to 50 overall quests. If there are any questions, please let me know. Thank you all for playing, and hoping to see you all for future updates!
8caQoBd.png
bfwpZ6Z.png
wZhwomn.png
I have put so much time and effort into the game so far and I'm only 4 badges in. I really don't want to start again. What kind of problems could I run into?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday
I ran into Blaine last night. As a massive fan of breaking bad I was overjoyed! Absolutely class!

Also I am curious, I encountered the Rampardos in the Verdanturf tunnel. Are you supposed to be able to catch it? It doesn't let you use your bag during the battle. But you csn still throw using the R button.

Years
  • Age 19
  • NZ
  • Seen yesterday
This hack looks Absol-utely fantastic. If I may ask, could we please be provided with the source code to this hack? Personally, I may want to add some sprites into the game. Thank you very much and have a wonderful day.

Days
  • Age 26
  • Online now
I have put so much time and effort into the game so far and I'm only 4 badges in. I really don't want to start again. What kind of problems could I run into?
Mainly like you'll run into people that aren't supposed to be there (they are hidden upon each new game), so some things can't be traversed or accessed properly. Depending on the level you want to recreate, I might be able to just generate a .sav file for you. If this is something you're interested in, we can talk further.
I ran into Blaine last night. As a massive fan of breaking bad I was overjoyed! Absolutely class!

Also I am curious, I encountered the Rampardos in the Verdanturf tunnel. Are you supposed to be able to catch it? It doesn't let you use your bag during the battle. But you csn still throw using the R button.
Yeah I tried to squeeze in as much pop culture that I loved into this, so I'm glad there's a fellow BB enjoyer :)
As for the Rampardos and other wild quest mons, that "bug" was patched in one of the more recent updates prior to 1.09. You weren't supposed to be able to, but in the version you're on, you technically could (although the quest wouldn't complete). This is amended in every version since.
This hack looks Absol-utely fantastic. If I may ask, could we please be provided with the source code to this hack? Personally, I may want to add some sprites into the game. Thank you very much and have a wonderful day.
I may or may not make the code available once the project is fully completed and I clean it up; a lot of it is pretty messy. Also, some assets would probably be redacted if it was released, as they are custom commissions. If it does happen, it won't be for quite a bit.

Years
  • Age 19
  • NZ
  • Seen yesterday
Mainly like you'll run into people that aren't supposed to be there (they are hidden upon each new game), so some things can't be traversed or accessed properly. Depending on the level you want to recreate, I might be able to just generate a .sav file for you. If this is something you're interested in, we can talk further.

Yeah I tried to squeeze in as much pop culture that I loved into this, so I'm glad there's a fellow BB enjoyer :)
As for the Rampardos and other wild quest mons, that "bug" was patched in one of the more recent updates prior to 1.09. You weren't supposed to be able to, but in the version you're on, you technically could (although the quest wouldn't complete). This is amended in every version since.

I may or may not make the code available once the project is fully completed and I clean it up; a lot of it is pretty messy. Also, some assets would probably be redacted if it was released, as they are custom commissions. If it does happen, it won't be for quite a bit.
Ah, alrighty. Thank you for the information.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen yesterday

I wouldn't be so fussed about playing a new generated save. But like I said iv put a lot of effort the game so far and caught nearly every possible mon that is available so far, so wouldn't want to give that up for a basic save file. Also I'd lose all my hacked items. For instance, I have 2 quick claws which came in clutch in nearly every major battle iv had.

The rampardos quest did complete for me. I'd caught it twice and it still remained. But once I defeated it, it disappeared and the quest completed.

Days
  • Seen today
Thank you for this!

I'm trying to understand some of the details of the changes made to the ROM. For example, what controls which Alcremie I get? Is there no way for Basculin to evolve? Are friendship berries still in the game, and do they do anything? And finally, what does EVO_NONE mean in the evolution table? It's applied to a few Hsuian forms.

Thanks!!

Days
  • Seen yesterday
Regarding the difficulty as well, I mentioned that I did use mostly "unviable" pokemon so this caused me to have to create whole new teams for different gym leaders, different boss battles, and sometimes even different trainers. So yes I can greatly see how the mid game would be smooth for others (Seeing as I abandoned trying to use my favorite pokemon, and only started using megas at Flannery). All in all very balanced.

Also, if there is ever a need for help on documentation, I would gladly be able to help.

P.S.: I know probably not because I can imagine how much of a nightmare it would be, but are there plans to reintroduce the battle frontier at some point? And did you just remove Sticky Web entirely from the game? Ive found that Ribombee Galvantula and Shuckle don't learn it.
Hello i just want to ask the same thing about sticky web. Is the maker remove it from gameplay? I checked all the reply but no one answer this question,.I try to build a team with sticky web. And i try to use, galvantula, ribombee, slurpuff, orbetle, but no one learn it. I check the move learnset list and no one can learn it via level up.. It made me a bit sad.

Btw i must say this game is very interesting. It's been a while i can play a hacked game with this kind of difficulties after radical red. Good job and i really appreciate the job for the maker.

Last edited:
Days
  • Age 26
  • Online now
Thank you for this!

I'm trying to understand some of the details of the changes made to the ROM. For example, what controls which Alcremie I get? Is there no way for Basculin to evolve? Are friendship berries still in the game, and do they do anything? And finally, what does EVO_NONE mean in the evolution table? It's applied to a few Hsuian forms.

Thanks!!
Happy to answer any questions :)
1. Alcremie forms are random!
2. I locked Basculegion (and most Hisuian mons) behind NPC gift mons as a way to encourage interacting with NPCs. Wild Basculegion can also be found.
3. Friendship berries are in the game, and they facilitate happiness-based evolutions. Nothing different from vanilla.
4. EVO_NONE is just meant to allow for proper breeding.

Any other questions, please let me know! Hope you enjoy your playthrough :)
Hello i just want to ask the same thing about sticky web. Is the maker remove it from gameplay? I checked all the reply but no one answer this question,.I try to build a team with sticky web. And i try to use, galvantula, ribombee, slurpuff, orbetle, but no one learn it. I check the move learnset list and no one can learn it via level up.. It made me a bit sad.

Btw i must say this game is very interesting. It's been a while i can play a hacked game with this kind of difficulties after radical red. Good job and i really appreciate the job for the maker.
Yeah, Sticky Web was a little problematic in a game with no EVs, since setting it essentially means that you can outspeed every opposing mon. I don't know if there's a way to include it in a balanced way (like reducing the drop), but for now, I've opted to exclude it. Thanks for the kind words and hoping to see your Hall of Fame winning team in the future!

Days
  • Seen today
2. I locked Basculegion (and most Hisuian mons) behind NPC gift mons as a way to encourage interacting with NPCs. Wild Basculegion can also be found.
3. Friendship berries are in the game, and they facilitate happiness-based evolutions. Nothing different from vanilla.

Yeah, Sticky Web was a little problematic in a game with no EVs, since setting it essentially means that you can outspeed every opposing mon. I don't know if there's a way to include it in a balanced way (like reducing the drop), but for now, I've opted to exclude it. Thanks for the kind words and hoping to see your Hall of Fame winning team in the future!
Thank you!

Given the lack of EVs, will friendship berries negatively impact stats? I assume not, but I did want to check.

I just beat Wattson, and I'm having a ton of fun. I'll echo a few of the other commenters who have talked about money being tight in the early game - although for me, at least, most of the cost there has actually been poke balls.

I was a bit surprised to see Gallade with Sharpness, as I thought it was a gen-8 hack - in general, are movesets and abilities gen-9 or gen-8?

Days
  • Seen yesterday

Yes. I could understand your reason. But it can be consider for some pokemon that normally is NU or RU due to their lack of speed can be more viable in your game, or you can make selection for your coming update, hard mode will remove some move that will be too powerfull to use like sticky web and baton pass, and normal mode that for someone who just want to finish the game with their favorite pokemon.

Back